Friday 16 June 2023

Speaking Module in IELTS

 

           

            Speaking Module in IELTS

Speaking in IELTS is one of the most important module which requires your communication skill. You need to make your answers more reasonable and logical so that you can convince the person ( examiner). Speaking is an art. You have to prepare different questions. In addition, you must create your answers yourself. You can speak without any hesitation.

Speaking module is divided into 3 different parts. You will have 11-14 minutes to answer all the questions. All the 3 parts along with their time limitation have been shown below:

Parts of Speaking

Time: 11-14 minutes

Types of questions

Band score

Part I

  4-5 minutes

Personal introduction (self-identity)

Short questions and answers

Likes, dislikes, hobby

6-8 questions

 

3

Part II

 

3-4 minutes

1 m to prepare notes

1-2 m for speaking

1 m to follow-up

A cue card question

(A statement with ¾ bullet points)

Explain the statement and the bullet points

3

Part III

4-5 minutes

All the questions are connected to the part II

Cross questions can be asked.

4-6 questions

3

 Your speaking will be assessed/ evaluated in four different categories and each consists of 25% role to provide you score in IELTS.

1.   Fluency and Coherence

2.   Lexical Resources

3.   Grammatical Range and Accuracy

4.   Pronunciation

 In addition to this, there are some important tips and techniques that can also play the role to increase your score.

1.     Be cool, silence and confident.

2.     Keep patience and be sincere.

3.     Be discipline and active ( energetic)

4.     Listen to the examiner more carefully

5.     Think about the questions and make some plan.

6.     Keep your eye contact with the examiner.

7.     Keep smiling and maintain your body language.

8.     Don’t use fillers such as umm, oo, ah, ss and slang words ( informal language).

9.     Don’t be over confidence while answering.

10.Don’t feel hesitation and nervous.

11.Provide your complete answer.

12.Don’t take long time to answer.

13.Provide a relevant examples while speaking if it is necessary.

14.Prepare well and try to be relaxed

 Some important questions that can be asked you before entering in part-I are as follow.

1) Asking about you.

How are you?

How are you feeling?

Are you fine?

How do you do?

You can reply as,

I am completely fine.

I am pretty good.

I am good.

I am feeling comfortable/ cozy.

Yes, I am fine. Thank you.

2) Asking about your name.

            What’s your name?

            Can you tell me your name?

            Please, tell me your name?

            What’s your full name?

You can reply as,

            My name’s………….

            It’s me……………….

            I’m………………………..

            My full name is………….

            My first name is……………. and second name is……………….

           My given name is...........and my family name is..................

            Myself………………………..

2)  Asking you how can he/she addresses.

How do I call you?

How can I address you?

What do you love being called?

You can reply as,

You can call me ……………….

You can call me with my first name……………

Please, call me………………

You can address me…………

I love being called……………..

Please, call me by my nick name/ English name………………….

3)  Asking for your id proof/ passport.

Show me your id.

Can I have your passport?

Please, give your id proof.

You can reply as,

Yes, of course.

Okay, here you are.

Yes, here it is.

Sure sir, here it is.

4) Asking for your address.

Where’re you from?

Where are you coming from?

Where do you live?

Where do you belong to?

Where do you hail from?

What’s your permanent address?

Where do you reside?

You can answer as,

I’m from……………..

I’m coming from Kalika Municipality Ward no. 5 Padampur which is located in the eastern part of Chitwan district and it is approximately 125 km far away from the capital city of my country Nepal.

                                                                Or,

I belong to a beautiful place called Padampur, which is located in the eastern part of Chitwan district in Bagmati Province of my country.

I live in……………….

I belong to……………….

I hail from……………………….

My permanent address is……………… But, I am currently living in ....................

I reside in………………………..

5) Ask the examiner to repeat the question.

I'm sorry, I didn't catch your question, could you please repeat it?

I could not listen your question, please ask me again?

Pardon me, sir.

I'm sorry, I don’t understand it. Could you repeat it, again?

Sorry, sir. Please, ask me your question, again?

Please, ask me again sir/ma’am.

I’m not getting you. Please, ask me again.

6) Providing examples

For an example,

For an instance,

Such as,

Like,

Let me provide you an example,

To make it clear, let's take an example,

Namely,

That is (i.e.)


7) Useful connectives

and, but, also, as well as, however, despite , in spite of, although, though, even though, likewise, moreover, furthermore, firstly, secondly on the one hand, on the other hand, when, while, so, so that, therefore, thus, as a result, consequently, because, cause, because of , due to, to, in order to, 

8) Showing possibility 

may be, probably, possibly, will happen

9) Expressing personal opinions

I think,

In my opinion,

I opine that,

From my point of view,

In my perspectives,

Personally I believe,

Generally speaking, I think

What I think here is that 


10) Expressing your likes and dislikes:

Expressing your likes 

I like, love, adore + verb ing..................

I do like, love, adore+ verb ing................

I'm fairly keen on……

I am fond of + v-ing.........

I'm fascinated/interested in + ing……………

I'm  a big fan of……………..

I'm quite enthusiastic about…………

Expressing your dislikes

Dislike (paraphrasing)

I don't like, love, adore + verb ing..................

I hate, dislike, detest + verb ing.................

I'm not so keen on……………

I'm not really fond of …………….

I am not a big fan of......................

I can't stand…………..

I totally detest…………..

 Answering Technique

            General

            Specific

            Example

Your talks have to start from simple to complex in language with a wide range of sentence structures. You must provide examples if it is necessary to support your ideas.


 Part-1 Speaking

In speaking part-I, you are requested to give your answers having 1/2 sentences with reasons (why/why not). You should not talk unnecessarily in this part. Listen to the examiner  and plan for the answer.

What kind of book do you like?

Well, there are two kinds of book that I'm really keen on. The one I like the best is non-            fictional book namely auto biography because………………

I'm also kind of partial to fictional book like novel since…………….

                                                            OR

Well, I'd have to say that I'm a big fan of non-fictional book. In particular, I am fond of reading biography because……………... For instance…………..

 How to respond to the question, when you don’t have exact idea     

With regard to your question, I guess, I would have to say that……………….

I think ……………….

I'm not much familiar about it but…………

It's not easy to guess but……

Talking about it, I think…………


 Speaking Part-II

In the second section candidates are given a topic card and then have one minute to prepare after which they must speak about the given topic.

How to deal with part II speaking

Commencing phrases:

I'd like to talk about…………

I'd like to tell you about……..

I've just decided to talk about……….

It's interesting to tell you about…………….

Talking about..........

Telling you about..................

 How to deal with the questions, when you don’t have exact idea to response

Actually, that’s not something I've really thought about, but……………..

I don’t really know much about that, however……….

Honestly, I'm not sure but………………..

Well, it's difficult to say, but……………

Off the top of my head, I would say…………..

With regard to your question, I guess, I would have to say that………….

                        Speaking Part III

The third section involves a discussion between the examiner and the candidate, generally on questions relating to the theme which they have already spoken about in part 2.

Types of questions

Opinion/ View ( agree/disagree)

Asking advantages/disadvantages

Comparing (time, event, object, concept, place etc...)

Predicting  ( guess, assume, hypothesis, imagination, forecast)

Problem ( cause/ reason)

Solutions ( tackle/ solve)

Recommendation ( suggestion, advices)

Options (why/why not?)

 For advantages

Well, I suppose that there are quite few clear benefits/merits. The most visible would be………

Sure, there are favorable aspects of this. The foremost is………..

Obviously, there are a number of positive features.

For disadvantages

I think. It's fair to say that there are few negative aspects.

I'm sure that most people would agree that it has some drawbacks.

Of course, there are a couple of short comings.

The most adverse feature would be…………….

The weak part is…….

Problems

Obviously, we can say there are quite a lot of dangers with regard to this issues. At the outset, the most adverse/crucial/significant challenge is ………….

It's universally accepted that there are a few hazards involve with…….

This issue is weighed down with a new problem. Essentially, one fundamental concern is probably that………..

Solution of question

In my view, there are a number of actions that could be taken.

I honestly believe that there are a few ways to tackle this challenge.

I think, we could go about this is a number of ways. The best ways can be…………..

Giving example:

Actually, this idea is the best illustrated with the example of ……………

As a matter of fact, this point can be demonstrated with the case of……………

 About prediction

I suppose, it's quite probable that we may have……….

I think, it's likely to happen…………………


 ELTS Speaking vocabulary topics:

Travel and holidays,

Friends, Technology, Sports, Food, Education,

Weather, Environment, Music, Book and film, Health,

Event, Daily routine, aim of your life , Singing

Stars and planets, Jobs and occupation, Shopping

Accommodation, pollution, Transportation and road accessibility.

 







 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment

IELTS Reading Sentence completion

  Sample 1 In Australia, the platypus is officially classified as ‘Common but Vulnerable.’ As a species, it is not currently considered to...