Saturday, 9 May 2026

TEAS-focused breakdown of Tense, with a deep dive into the Present Tense

TEAS-focused breakdown of Tense, with a deep dive into the Present Tense

Part 1: What is "Tense" in Grammar?

Definition: In grammar, Tense is a verb form that shows the time of an action, event, or condition relative to the moment of speaking or writing.

Tense tells you when something happens.

In English, there are three main time periods: Past, Present, and Future.

Each of these has four aspects: Simple, Continuous (Progressive), Perfect, and Perfect Continuous.

This gives us a total of 12 tenses.

Aspect

Past

Present (Focus)

Future

Simple

I walked.

I walk.

I will walk.

Continuous

I was walking.

I am walking.

I will be walking.

Perfect

I had walked.

I have walked.

I will have walked.

Perfect Continuous

I had been walking.

I have been walking.

I will have been walking.


Part 2: Present Tense (Detailed Breakdown)

The Present Tense is not only for actions happening right now.

It has several specific uses, each with its own structure, time adverbs, and conditions.


A. Simple Present Tense

1. Structure

[ Subject +v1/v5+Object.]

Base verb (for I, You, We, They):
I work.

Base verb + -s / -es (for He, She, It):
She works.

Special -es rule: Add -es to verbs ending in -s, -sh, -ch, -x, -z
(watches, fixes, rushes)

For verbs ending in consonant + y, change y to i and add -es
(studies)


2. Key Uses (TEAS Focus)

Use

Explanation

Example

Facts / Truths

Things that are always true, regardless of time

The heart pumps blood. A nurse cares for patients.

Habits / Routines

Actions that happen repeatedly. Often used with frequency adverbs

She works the night shift every Tuesday. I drink three liters of water daily.

Future Schedules

Events on a fixed timetable (trains, flights, appointments)

The clinic opens at 8:00 AM tomorrow. My next patient arrives at 2 PM.

State Verbs

Verbs that describe a state of being, feeling, or thought (not an action). These are rarely used in continuous form

I believe you. (Not: I am believing) This medication contains aspirin.


3. Conditions & Time Adverbs

Common Time Adverbs

  • Always
  • Usually
  • Often
  • Sometimes
  • Rarely
  • Never

(Frequency adverbs go before the main verb)

Example:
He always arrives on time.

Other common expressions:

  • Every day
  • Every week
  • Every month
  • On Mondays
  • In the morning
  • Once a day
  • Twice a year

Key Condition for TEAS: Third-Person Singular (-s)

On the TEAS, a common error is subject-verb agreement with simple present.

The patient reports nausea.
(He/She/It = verb + s)

The patient report nausea.
(Incorrect)

The patients report nausea.
(They/plural = base verb)


B. Present Continuous (Progressive)

1. Structure

[ Subject +am / is / are + [verb + -ing]+Object ]

1.      I am working.

2.      He/She/It is working.

3.      You/We/They are working.


2. Key Uses (TEAS Focus)

Use

Explanation

Example

Action Happening Now

An action in progress at this exact moment

The doctor is examining a patient right now. I am taking the TEAS.

Temporary Actions

An activity happening around now, but not necessarily this second

She is working in the ICU this month.

Future Plans

A personal arrangement for the near future (often with a time word)

We are meeting the surgeon tomorrow morning.

Annoying Habits (with "always")

Used for emphasis when a habit is frustrating

He is always interrupting me during reports.


3. Time Adverbs & Conditions

Common time expressions:

  • Now
  • Right now
  • At the moment
  • Currently
  • This week
  • This month
  • Today
  • Tomorrow (for future use)

Signal words:

  • Listen!
  • Look!

Important Condition for TEAS: State Verbs

Do NOT use present continuous with state verbs.

I need a break.
(Not: I am needing)

This belongs to the patient.
(Not: is belonging)

She feels dizzy.

(Formal TEAS often prefers simple present for sense verbs.)


Common State Verbs

  • Believe
  • Hate
  • Know
  • Like
  • Love
  • Need
  • Prefer
  • Remember
  • Seem
  • Understand
  • Want
  • Belong
  • Contain
  • Depend
  • Own
  • Appear (non-action meaning)

C. Present Perfect Tense

This tense connects the past to the present.

It is frequently tested on the TEAS.


1. Structure

[ Subject +has / have + [past participle]+Object]

1.      He/She/It has worked.

2.      I/You/We/They have worked.


Irregular Past Participles

These are critical to memorize:

  • go → gone
  • see → seen
  • write → written
  • break → broken

2. Key Uses (TEAS Focus)

Use

Explanation

Example

Life Experience

Happened at an unspecified time in the past

She has worked in three different hospitals.

Change Over Time

Situation was different before and is different now

His condition has improved since yesterday.

Unfinished Time

Action started in the past and continues now

I have studied nursing for two years.

Accomplishment / Result

Result matters now

The surgeon has completed the procedure.


3. Time Adverbs & Conditions

Adverb

Position & Use

Example

For

Duration of time

They have lived here for five years.

Since

Starting point

They have lived here since 2019.

Already

Completed earlier than expected

I have already finished my notes.

Yet

Questions or negatives

Have you taken the medication yet?

Ever / Never

Life experiences

Have you ever witnessed a seizure?

Just

Very recent action

The doctor has just left the room.


Critical Condition for TEAS

You cannot use present perfect with specific past time words.

I have visited Japan.

I have visited Japan last year.

I visited Japan last year.


D. Present Perfect Continuous

1. Structure

[ Subject+ has / have + been + [verb + -ing]+ object]

1.      He/She/It has been working.

2.      I/You/We/They have been working.

3.       

2. Key Uses (TEAS Focus)

Use

Explanation

Example

Duration from Past to Now

Action started in the past and is still happening

It has been raining for three hours.

Recently Stopped (Visible Result)

Action just ended but effect is visible

Her eyes are red. She has been crying.


3. Time Adverbs & Conditions

  • For + length of time
  • Since + starting point
  • All day
  • All morning
  • Recently
  • Lately

Key Condition for TEAS

Use present perfect continuous to emphasize ongoing activity

Use present perfect to emphasize completion/result

Examples:

1.      I have been writing the report.
(Focus: activity)

2.      I have written the report.
(Focus: completed result)


Part 3: TEAS-Specific Practice Examples

Question 1 (Simple Present vs. Present Continuous)

A nurse notices that a patient always ______ his medication at 8:00 AM without fail.

A) is taking
B) takes
C) has taken
D) has been taking

 

Answer: B) takes

(The word "always" shows a habit, so use simple present.)


Question 2 (Present Perfect vs. Simple Past)

The nursing student has completed her clinical rotation at City Hospital ______.

A) last month
B) in 2022
C) two weeks ago
D) recently

 

Answer: D) recently

("Recently" is unspecified time, which works with present perfect.)


Question 3 (State Verbs)

Which sentence is grammatically correct?

A) I am needing a new stethoscope for my shift.
B) She is understanding the lab results now.
C) This medication is belonging to the controlled substances class.
D) The patient prefers warm blankets at night.

 

Answer: D) The patient prefers warm blankets at night.

(Prefer is a state verb and should not take -ing in formal English.)


Quick Review Table for TEAS Study

Tense

Structure

Key Words (Adverbs)

TEAS Trap to Avoid

Simple Present

Base verb / verb + s

always, every day, usually

Forgetting -s for he/she/it

Present Continuous

am/is/are + -ing

now, right now, currently

Using with state verbs

Present Perfect

has/have + past participle

for, since, ever, never, yet

Using with specific past time words

Present Perfect Continuous

has/have + been + -ing

for, since, all day, lately

Confusing with present perfect

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

10 PTE Opinion Essays

10 PTE Opinion Essays Using Your Exact Template Structure Adapted for Opinion/Persuasive Essays 1. Question: Some people believe that ...