Wednesday, 29 July 2026

Practicing dialogues


 Practicing dialogues 

Set 1

Speaker A: "I can't believe you forgot our anniversary again. You know how much that day means to me."
Speaker B: "________________________"

Options:
A) "I'm sorry, I've just been so swamped with work lately. I'll make it up to you, I promise."
B) "It's just a day, what's the big deal?"
C) "Did I? Well, I guess we can just celebrate next week instead."

Set 2

Speaker A: "The new project manager just sent out the schedule, and it looks like we're going to be working weekends for the next month."
Speaker B: "________________________"

Options:
A) "I'm actually looking forward to the extra hours, it will be fun."
B) "What? That's insane. I have a family, I can't just drop everything for this."
C) "He must have made a mistake, he's probably new here."

Set 3

Speaker A: "I don't know, I just feel like I'm not good enough for this team. Everyone else seems so talented."
Speaker B: "________________________"

Options:
A) "You're right, maybe you should consider transferring to another department."
B) "Don't be ridiculous. You brought in that huge client last month, remember? You're a key part of this."
C) "Well, you could always practice more to catch up to them."

Set 4

Speaker A: "I'm thinking about quitting my job and traveling across Asia for a year."
Speaker B: "________________________"

Options:
A) "That sounds incredibly irresponsible. What about your career and your savings?"
B) "Wow, that's a huge decision! What sparked this idea?"
C) "Can I come with you? I hate my job too."

Set 5

Speaker A: "I've been trying to fix this software bug for three hours, and it's still not working. I'm about to throw my laptop out the window."
Speaker B: "________________________"

Options:
A) "Let me take a look at it. Sometimes a fresh pair of eyes helps."
B) "Maybe you should have read the manual before you started."
C) "Go ahead, throw it. Then you can get a new one."

Set 6

Speaker A: "Is everything okay? You seem a bit distant lately."
Speaker B: "________________________"

Options:
A) "I'm fine, just a bit tired. Don't worry about it."
B) "Actually, no. I've been meaning to talk to you about something that's been bothering me."
C) "Are you spying on me now? I'm allowed to have my own space."

 

Set 1

Answer: A
Reason: It sincerely apologises, gives a reasonable explanation, and promises to make up for the mistake.

Set 2
Answer: B
Reason: It is the most natural response to unexpected weekend work and expresses a realistic concern.

Set 3
Answer: B
Reason: It encourages the speaker by reminding them of a past success and boosting their confidence.

Set 4
Answer: B
Reason: It responds with interest and invites the speaker to explain their decision instead of judging them.

Set 5
Answer: A
Reason: It offers practical help and support, making it the most appropriate response.

Set 6
Answer: B
Reason: It honestly shares feelings and opens the door for a meaningful conversation.

Set 1 (Topic: Morning Coffee Run)

A: "I'm running late for work. Can you grab my coffee order on your way in?"
B: "________________________"

Options:
A) "Sure, but you owe me one. And you better text me your order right now."
B) "Why are you always so disorganized? Just skip the coffee today."
C) "I would, but I'm not stopping anywhere. I'm already late too."


Set 2 (Topic: Weekend Plans)

A: "So, what are you doing this Saturday? Anything fun?"
B: "________________________"

Options:
A) "Nothing much, just staying in and binge-watching that new series."
B) "Why do you always ask? You know I never make plans."
C) "I was thinking of going to the beach, but the weather looks iffy."


Set 3 (Topic: Grocery Shopping)

A: "I forgot the grocery list at home. Do you remember what we needed?"
B: "________________________"

Options:
A) "Not really. Let's just wing it and buy whatever looks good."
B) "How could you forget? I told you three times this morning!"
C) "I think we needed milk, eggs, and bread—but I'm not 100% sure."


Set 4 (Topic: Neighbor Complaints)

A: "Our upstairs neighbor is playing loud music again. It's almost midnight."
B: "________________________"

Options:
A) "I'll go talk to them right now. This is getting ridiculous."
B) "Just ignore it. They'll stop eventually."
C) "Maybe we should call the building manager instead of confronting them."


Set 5 (Topic: Work Emails)

A: "I just got another passive-aggressive email from the client. I don't even know how to respond."
B: "________________________"

Options:
A) "Draft a polite reply and let me read it before you send it."
B) "Just delete it. They're probably having a bad day."
C) "Write back and match their tone—they need to know you won't be pushed around."


Set 6 (Topic: Dinner Decision)

A: "I'm starving, but I can't decide what to eat. Any suggestions?"
B: "________________________"

Options:
A) "How about that new Thai place down the street? I've been craving it."
B) "You always ask me this. Just pick something yourself."
C) "Let's order pizza again. It's safe and quick."


Set 7 (Topic: Gym Motivation)

A: "I really don't feel like going to the gym today. I'm so tired."
B: "________________________"

Options:
A) "Then don't go. One rest day won't kill you."
B) "You'll feel better once you're there. Just do a light workout."
C) "If you skip again, you'll lose all your progress. Get up!"


Set 8 (Topic: Social Media Post)

A: "I just posted that vacation photo, and nobody has liked it yet. It's been 20 minutes."
B: "________________________"

Options:
A) "Relax, people are probably at work. Give it some time."
B) "Maybe it's not a great photo. Try a different one."
C) "Who cares about likes? You went there for yourself, not for them."


Set 9 (Topic: House Chores)

A: "The dishwasher is broken again, and there's a pile of dirty dishes in the sink."
B: "________________________"

Options:
A) "I'll call the repair guy tomorrow. For now, let's just wash them by hand."
B) "Great. I guess we're eating out until it's fixed."
C) "Did you break it? You always overload it."


Set 10 (Topic: Late Night Snack)

A: "I'm craving something sweet, but we have nothing in the house."
B: "________________________"

Options:
A) "There's some ice cream in the freezer, behind the vegetables."
B) "Then go to the 24-hour store down the block."
C) "You should've thought about that earlier. Now it's too late."

1.      A – "Sure, but you owe me one. And you better text me your order right now."

2.      C – "I was thinking of going to the beach, but the weather looks iffy."

3.      C – "I think we needed milk, eggs, and bread—but I'm not 100% sure."

4.      C – "Maybe we should call the building manager instead of confronting them."

5.      A – "Draft a polite reply and let me read it before you send it."

6.      A – "How about that new Thai place down the street? I've been craving it."

7.      B – "You'll feel better once you're there. Just do a light workout."

8.      A – "Relax, people are probably at work. Give it some time."

9.      A – "I'll call the repair guy tomorrow. For now, let's just wash them by hand."

10.   A – "There's some ice cream in the freezer, behind the vegetables."


1. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Vocabularies used in daily life

 Vocabularies used in daily life  🏢 At the Office / Workplace # Vocabulary / Phrase Meaning i...