PTE Respond to a Situation
The Respond to a Situation task in the
PTE Speaking section is often underestimated, yet it is a golden opportunity to
boost your score.
In this task, you will hear and read a short
scenario. You have 20 seconds to prepare and 40 seconds to speak.
You must give an appropriate verbal response to a person in a specific context
(e.g., a friend, a professor, or a customer service agent).
Here is your ultimate guide, broken down into strategies,
high-scoring templates, and sample sets for both informal and
formal situations.
Part 1: Top Tips & Exam Strategies
1. The "Contradiction" Trick
(Crucial!)
Most situations involve a problem or a conflict. Your response must
address this conflict directly.
- Example:
If a friend asks to borrow your car, and you need it, your response isn't
just "No." It must be: "No, but here is an alternative
solution."
2. Master the 20-Second Preparation
Do not write full sentences. Write 3 keywords on your erasable notepad:
- Greeting: (Hi / Hello
/ Good morning)
- Acknowledge: (I
understand / I see)
- Action: (Can't /
Can / Suggest)
3. The 40-Second Speaking Structure
To score high in Oral Fluency and Pronunciation, you must avoid pausing. Follow
this rigid structure:
- Second
1-5: Greeting
& Acknowledgment.
- Second
6-20:
State your decision/position clearly.
- Second
21-35:
Give a reason and a SOLUTION (this is the most important part).
- Second
36-40:
Closing statement.
4. Politeness is Non-Negotiable
Even if you are saying "no," you must use softening language (e.g., Unfortunately, I'm afraid, I'd love to,
but...).
Part 2: Informal Situations (Friends,
Family, Colleagues)
Tone: Friendly, empathetic, using contractions (I can't, I'd love to).
Template:
"Hey [Name],
thanks for letting me know. I totally understand your situation. However, I'm
afraid I can't [do the action] because [simple reason]. But don't worry—how
about we [suggest an alternative] instead? Let me know what you think!"
Sample Set 1: Declining a Social Invitation
- Situation: Your
friend, Alex, invites you to a movie tonight, but you have a big work
presentation tomorrow morning and need to prepare.
- Your
Response (40 seconds):
"Hey Alex,
thanks so much for the movie invite! I'd really love to come, but I'm afraid I
won't be able to make it tonight because I have a massive work presentation
early tomorrow morning, and I still need to finish my slides. I feel terrible
for bailing on you, though. How about we catch a movie this Saturday afternoon
instead? My treat for the popcorn. Let me know if that works for you!"
Sample Set 2: Helping a Friend Move
- Situation: Your
colleague, Sarah, asks if you can help her move to a new apartment this
weekend. You already promised your parents you would visit them.
- Your
Response (40 seconds):
"Hi Sarah,
thanks for asking me for help. I really wish I could give you a hand with the
move, but unfortunately, I can't make it this weekend because I've already
promised my parents I would visit them. I know moving is super stressful,
though. What if I help you pack up your kitchen boxes on Friday evening after
work instead? That way, at least the fragile stuff is done!"
Part 3: Formal Situations (Professors,
Bosses, Customer Service, Strangers)
Tone: Professional, respectful, using formal
vocabulary (Unfortunately, I regret, I
would appreciate). Avoid contractions (use I am instead of I'm).
Template:
"Good
morning/afternoon. Thank you for informing me about this matter. I completely
appreciate the situation. Regrettably, I am unable to [action] due to [reason].
However, to resolve this, I would suggest [formal solution]. I hope this is an
acceptable arrangement."
Sample Set 3: Rescheduling with a Professor
- Situation: You have a
scheduled one-on-one meeting with your university professor today at 3 PM.
You have just woken up with a very high fever and cannot go to campus.
- Your
Response (40 seconds):
"Good morning,
Professor. Thank you for making time to meet with me today. I completely
understand how busy your schedule is. Regrettably, I am unable to attend our 3
PM meeting because I have woken up with a severe fever and am unable to come to
campus. To avoid disrupting your schedule, may I suggest we reschedule for next
Monday at the same time? I would be happy to confirm via email. I apologize for
any inconvenience."
Sample Set 4: Complaint to a Hotel Manager
- Situation: You checked
into a hotel. The air conditioning in your room is broken, and it is very
hot. You are calling the reception.
- Your
Response (40 seconds):
"Good
afternoon. I am calling from room 405 to report an issue with the air
conditioning. I appreciate that you are very busy, but unfortunately, the unit
in my room is not working at all, and it is making the room quite
uncomfortable. I would be very grateful if you could arrange for maintenance to
take a look at it as soon as possible. Alternatively, if there is another room
available, I would be happy to move. Thank you for your assistance with
this."
Sample Set 5: Responding to a Boss about a
Delay
- Situation: Your
manager asks if you can submit a large report by 5 PM today. You know you
need two more days to finish it properly.
- Your
Response (40 seconds):
"Good
afternoon, Sir. Thank you for checking in on the report's progress. I fully
understand the urgency of this project. However, I am afraid I will not be able
to submit the full report by 5 PM today because I am still waiting for the
final sales data from the finance team. To ensure the report is accurate, I
would suggest I send you a complete draft by Wednesday morning. I can, however,
send you the preliminary findings by 5 PM today if that is helpful."
PTE Respond to
a Situation — 15 Complete High-Scoring Sample Sets
I have divided them into 8 Informal
(friends, family, neighbors, colleagues) and 7 Formal (university, work,
services, strangers).
Each set includes the Prompt and a 40-second
Model Response using the fluency structures we discussed.
INFORMAL SITUATIONS (Friends, Family,
Neighbors)
Set 1: Friend asking to stay over
- Prompt: Your
friend, Mark, is visiting your city for a concert but his hotel booking
got canceled. He asks if he can sleep on your couch tonight. You have an
early morning exam tomorrow and need silence to study.
- Response:
"Hey Mark,
thanks for reaching out. I totally understand how stressful that is with your
hotel falling through. I would love to let you crash here, but I'm afraid I
can't tonight because I have a really important exam at 8 AM tomorrow and I
need complete silence to focus. Don't worry, though—how about I call my
neighbor who has a spare room? I'm sure she would rent it to you cheaply for
the night. Let me know, and I'll sort it out right now!"
Set 2: Colleague asking to switch
shifts
- Prompt: Your work
colleague, Lisa, asks if you can cover her shift this Saturday night. You
already bought non-refundable theater tickets for your partner's birthday.
- Response:
"Hi Lisa,
thanks for asking me. I really wish I could help you out this Saturday, but
unfortunately, I can't cover your shift because I've booked non-refundable
theater tickets for my partner's birthday, and I absolutely can't miss it. I know
you're in a tough spot, though. What if I ask around the office to see if
anyone else is free? Or maybe we can ask the manager if you can swap with
someone on Sunday instead?"
Set 3: Neighbor complaining about noise
- Prompt: Your
elderly neighbor knocks on your door and says your dog has been barking
loudly all afternoon while you were at work. She looks upset.
- Response:
"Good evening,
Mrs. Davis. I am so incredibly sorry to hear that my dog was barking all
afternoon. I completely understand your frustration—that must have been very
disturbing for you. I think he got anxious because I left him alone for longer
than usual. I promise I will hire a dog walker to take him out during the day
from now on, and I'll also buy him a calming toy to keep him quiet. Please do
let me know immediately if it happens again."
Set 4: Friend asking for a large loan
- Prompt: Your best
friend, Jake, asks to borrow $2,000 to fix his car. You are currently
saving for your own wedding and don't have spare cash.
- Response:
"Hey Jake, I'm
really sorry to hear about your car breaking down—that is such a nightmare. I'd
do anything to help you out, but I'm afraid I simply don't have $2,000 to lend
you right now because I'm aggressively saving for my wedding next month and
every dollar is already allocated. However, I can definitely help you in other
ways—I can drive you to work this week, and I know a really affordable mechanic
who might charge you half that price. Want me to give him a call for you?"
Set 5: Family dinner conflict
- Prompt: Your cousin
reminds you that you promised to cook dinner for the whole family this
Sunday. You just found out you have to work a double shift that day.
- Response:
"Hi cousin,
thanks for reminding me about Sunday. I feel absolutely terrible about this,
but I just found out I have to work a double shift that day, so I won't be able
to cook dinner for everyone. I know how much the family was looking forward to
it. But don't worry—I have a solution! How about I order a huge catering
platter from that Italian restaurant we all love and have it delivered to your
house at 6 PM? My treat. I'll still video-call in to say hello to
everyone!"
Set 6: Friend asking for a ride to the
airport
- Prompt: Your
friend, Emma, asks if you can drive her to the airport at 4 AM tomorrow
morning. You are a night owl and usually sleep until 9 AM.
- Response:
"Hey Emma, I
really want to help you get to the airport safely. But honestly, I'm afraid I
can't drive you at 4 AM because I am not a morning person at all, and I'd be
dangerously tired behind the wheel. I wouldn't want to risk your safety.
However, I have a much better idea—why don't you book an Uber or a taxi right
now? I will happily split the cost with you as my goodbye gift. That way, you
get a professional driver and we both stay safe!"
Set 7: Group project member not
pulling weight
- Prompt: Your
university group project partner, Tom, hasn't done any work. He texts you
asking what he should do, one day before the deadline.
- Response:
"Hi Tom,
thanks for reaching out. To be honest, I am a bit worried because the deadline
is tomorrow and I haven't received your sections yet. I completely understand
if you've been busy, but we really need to get this done. I'm afraid I can't do
your part for you because I'm still finalizing my own slides. However, here's
what I suggest—I will send you my research notes right now. If you quickly
compile them into 5 slides within the next two hours, I'll proofread them and
merge them into the final deck."
Set 8: Lost borrowed item
- Prompt: You
borrowed your sister's favorite jacket and accidentally left it at a
restaurant. It is now gone. She asks if you have it.
- Response:
"Hey sis, I am
so, so glad you asked me about that jacket because I need to come clean. I am
absolutely devastated to tell you that I accidentally left it at a restaurant
last night, and when I went back today, it wasn't there. I know how much you loved
that jacket, and I feel awful. But don't worry—I already found the exact same
one online, and I've ordered it for you. It should arrive in two days. I am so
sorry for the carelessness."
FORMAL SITUATIONS (Professors, Bosses,
Services, Strangers)
Set 9: Requesting an extension from a
Professor
- Prompt: Your
professor set a strict deadline for an essay this Friday. You have been in
the hospital for two days with a severe infection and cannot finish it.
- Response:
"Good afternoon,
Professor. I am writing to you regarding the essay deadline this Friday. I
completely appreciate the strict timeline you have set for the class.
Regrettably, I am unable to submit my essay on time because I have been
hospitalized for the past two days due to a severe infection. To resolve this,
I would like to formally request a three-day extension until Monday. I am happy
to provide a doctor's note to support my request. Thank you for your
understanding."
Set 10: Declining a promotion at work
- Prompt: Your boss
offers you a management position. You are grateful, but you know it
requires 60-hour weeks, and you need to care for your elderly parents
right now.
- Response:
"Good morning,
Sir. Thank you so much for offering me this management position. I truly
appreciate the trust you have placed in my abilities. However, after careful
consideration, I am afraid I must respectfully decline the offer at this time
because I currently have significant family responsibilities caring for my
elderly parents. I would not be able to commit to the long hours this role
deserves. I would, however, be very happy to assist in training the new
candidate you hire for this position."
Set 11: Complaint about a defective
product
- Prompt: You bought
a new laptop online. It arrived today, but the screen is cracked and the
keyboard doesn't work. You call customer service.
- Response:
"Good
afternoon. I am calling to report an issue with an order I recently received. I
appreciate your time today. Unfortunately, the laptop I ordered arrived this
morning with a cracked screen and a completely unresponsive keyboard. This is
highly inconvenient as I need it for my work. I would be grateful if you could
arrange for an immediate replacement to be shipped out today, and also organize
a courier to pick up this defective unit. Please confirm my return
authorization number."
Set 12: Asking a stranger for a favor
(lost wallet)
- Prompt: You are at
a busy train station. You realize you have lost your wallet and have no
money for a ticket. You approach a security guard for help.
- Response:
"Excuse me,
Sir. I do apologize for disturbing you. I realize you are very busy, but I find
myself in a difficult situation. I appear to have lost my wallet, and I have no
cash to purchase a train ticket to get home. I completely understand if this is
outside your usual duties, but I would appreciate it if you could advise me on
the nearest police lost-and-found office. Alternatively, could you please
direct me to the nearest ATM where I might be able to use my phone to transfer
money?"
Set 13: Responding to a client's
complaint
- Prompt: A client
emails you angrily, saying your team delivered a report with incorrect
statistics. You are the team leader.
- Response:
"Good morning,
Mr. Thompson. Thank you for bringing this error to my attention. I fully
appreciate your frustration, and I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience
this has caused your team. I am afraid there was a data mismatch in our final
review process. However, to rectify this immediately, I am personally reviewing
the raw data right now and will have a fully corrected report sent to you
within the next two hours. I will also implement a double-check system to
ensure this never occurs again."
Set 14: Explaining a late submission
to a manager
- Prompt: Your
manager calls you and asks why you haven't submitted your weekly sales
report yet. It is due at 9 AM. It is now 11 AM.
- Response:
"Good morning,
Ma'am. Thank you for calling me about the sales report. I completely understand
that it is already two hours overdue. I am afraid I was unable to submit it on
time because our internal database crashed this morning, and I could not access
the sales figures. However, the IT team has just restored the system. I am
currently compiling the data and I guarantee I will have the complete report on
your desk within the next thirty minutes. I apologize for the delay."
Set 15: Library fine dispute
- Prompt: You
approach the university librarian. She says you have a $50 fine for a book
returned late. You returned it on the exact due date, but the drop-box was
not emptied until the next day.
- Response:
"Good morning.
I hope you are having a good day. I am here to discuss a fine that has appeared
on my account. I completely appreciate that late returns must be penalized.
However, I am afraid I do not believe this fine is accurate, because I
physically returned the book into the outdoor drop-box before midnight on the
exact due date. I believe the drop-box was simply not emptied until the
following morning. Would you be able to check your security footage to verify
the timestamp of my return? I would really appreciate you waiving this fee if
the footage confirms my story."
20 More Common
PTE Respond to a Situation Practice Sets
Carefully designed to reflect the types of
scenarios you are likely to encounter. They are divided into Formal
(academic, professional) and Informal (social, neighborly) contexts,
each with a Prompt and a high-scoring Model Response.
Using the correct register (formal vs.
informal) is crucial for a high score in this task. The responses below
demonstrate how to adjust your language and tone appropriately.
Formal Situations (Academic &
Professional)
Set 1: Requesting an Extension from a
Professor
- Prompt: Your
assignment is due this Friday, but you have been unwell for the past three
days and haven't been able to complete it. Speak to your professor to
request an extension.
- Response:
"Good morning,
Professor Williams. I wanted to speak with you about the assignment due this
Friday. Unfortunately, I've been quite unwell for the past three days, which
has significantly affected my ability to work on it. I have a medical
certificate that I can provide as evidence. Would it be possible to get an
extension of three or four days? I want to submit quality work, and I'm
confident I can complete it by early next week. Thank you for considering my
request."
Set 2: Missing a Scheduled Meeting with a
Client
- Prompt: You forgot
to attend a scheduled Zoom meeting with a client. Respond appropriately to
apologize and reschedule.
- Response:
"Good morning,
I sincerely apologize for missing our meeting today. I had an unexpected
emergency and couldn't notify you in time. I understand your time is very
valuable, and I would be happy to reschedule at your convenience. Please let me
know what time would work best for you. Thank you for your understanding."
Set 3: Reporting a Defective Laptop to
Customer Service
- Prompt: You
purchased a laptop online, and it arrived with a cracked screen. You are
calling the company's customer service line.
- Response:
"Hello, I'm
calling about an order I received yesterday — my order number is 4-7-8-2. I
purchased a laptop from your website last week, and unfortunately, when it
arrived, the screen was cracked. The packaging looked damaged as well, so I
believe it may have happened during shipping. I've taken photos of both the
screen and the packaging. I would appreciate it if you could arrange either a
replacement or a full refund. Could you let me know what the next steps would
be?"
Set 4: Introducing Yourself at a New Job
- Prompt: You are
attending your first team meeting at a new job. Your manager has asked
each team member to briefly introduce themselves.
- Response:
"Good morning,
everyone. My name is Alex, and I've just joined the team as a marketing
coordinator. Before this, I worked for two years at a digital agency, where I
focused mainly on social media campaigns and content strategy. I'm really
excited to be here. I've heard great things about the team and the projects
you're working on. I'm looking forward to contributing and learning from all of
you. Please feel free to reach out if there's anything I can help with."
Set 5: Reporting a Projector Damaged by Accident
- Prompt: You
borrowed a projector from your office, but accidentally dropped it,
cracking the lens. You are about to inform your manager.
- Response:
"Good morning.
I need to inform you about an unfortunate incident with the projector I
borrowed for the conference. I'm afraid I accidentally dropped it while packing
it up, and now there's a crack on the lens. I take full responsibility for
this. I've already looked into the repair costs, and I'm happy to cover the
expenses. I can also arrange to have it sent for servicing immediately. I
apologize for the inconvenience this may cause."
Set 6: Requesting More Time from a Manager
- Prompt: You need to
ask your manager for a few extra days to complete a task.
- Response:
"Hello, I
wanted to check in regarding the report deadline. I've made good progress, but
I'd really appreciate two more days to polish the analysis. I want to ensure
it's accurate and well-organized before submitting it. Let me know if that
works for you."
Set 7: Dealing with an Underperforming Trainee
- Prompt: You're
training a new employee who keeps making the same mistakes, affecting
productivity.
- Response:
"I understand
they're struggling, and I want to help them improve. I'd review the task again
with simple examples and ask where they're confused. I'd also observe them
closely and give immediate feedback. Maybe a checklist could help them avoid
repeating errors. I'd stay patient and encouraging, because everyone learns at
a different pace, and support makes a big difference."
Set 8: A Polite Complaint at a Restaurant
- Prompt: A server
brings you the wrong order in a busy restaurant. The server looks
stressed. Handle the situation politely.
- Response:
"Excuse me,
I'd politely let the server know there was a mistake with my order. Since they
look stressed, I'd speak calmly and kindly, saying I understand it's a busy
time. I'd ask if it's possible to get the correct dish. If the wait is long, I
might even accept the current order. Being respectful makes the situation
better for everyone."
Informal Situations (Social &
Neighborly)
Set 9: Declining a Friend's Birthday
Invitation
- Prompt: Your friend
has invited you to a birthday party, but you've already committed to
helping another friend move that same evening.
- Response:
"Hey, thanks
so much for the invite! I'd honestly love to come to your birthday party — it
sounds like it's going to be a great time. Unfortunately, I already promised
another friend I'd help them move into their new place on Saturday evening, and
I can't really back out of that commitment. I feel bad about missing it though.
How about we catch up for coffee or dinner early next week so I can give you
your birthday gift? Happy birthday in advance!"
Set 10: Responding to a Neighbor's Noise
Complaint
- Prompt: Your
neighbour left a note asking you to keep the noise down on weekday
evenings since they have young children.
- Response:
"Hi there, I
got your note and I'm so sorry for the noise. I completely understand,
especially with young children trying to sleep. I wasn't fully aware of how
much the sound carried. I'll make sure to keep the volume down and avoid any
noisy activities after 8 PM from now on. Please don't hesitate to let me know
if it happens again. Thanks for your understanding."
Set 11: Asking a Neighbor for a Favor
- Prompt: Your
neighbor asks you to water their plants while they are away.
- Response:
"Hi, no
problem at all! I'd be happy to water your plants while you're away. Just let
me know how often you'd like me to do it and if there are any specific
instructions. I'll make sure to take good care of them so they're healthy when
you get back. Have a great trip!"
Set 12: Addressing an Issue with Borrowed
Equipment
- Prompt: You
borrowed a lawnmower from your neighbor and noticed it's making a strange
noise and not working well.
- Response:
"Hi, I'm just
returning your lawnmower. I wanted to let you know that I noticed it's making a
strange noise and isn't cutting the grass as evenly as it used to. I'm not sure
if it's from normal wear and tear or something I might have done. I feel
terrible about it, and I'm more than happy to contribute to the cost of having
it serviced or repaired. Just let me know what you'd like to do."
Set 13: Discussing a Carpooling Concern
- Prompt: You are
carpooling with a colleague and noticed the car is making a strange noise
and feels bumpy.
- Response:
"Hey, I just
wanted to mention that I've noticed the car's engine making a strange noise
lately, and the ride feels a bit bumpier than usual. I'm a little concerned it
might need some maintenance. I've been benefiting from the carpool, so I'm
definitely willing to contribute to any costs for a check-up or repairs. What
do you think?"
Set 14: A Mistake with a Group Project
- Prompt: Your
project partner has missed two planning meetings, and the final
presentation is due next week. You see them after class.
- Response:
"Hey, can I
talk to you for a minute? I'm getting a bit worried about our presentation next
week. You've missed the last two planning meetings, and I'm not sure where
things stand with your part. Are you still able to participate fully? Maybe we
could grab a coffee right now and quickly agree on the next steps and a new
schedule to make sure we're both on track?"
Set 15: Organizing a Community Garden
- Prompt: You've
organized a community garden project, but some garden beds are neglected
with weeds growing.
- Response:
"Hi everyone,
thanks for being here. I'm so excited about our garden project, but I've
noticed a few of the assigned plots have gotten a bit overgrown with weeds. To
make sure our garden is a success, could we all please take a few minutes to
tend to our individual beds? A little regular maintenance will make a huge
difference for all of us. Thanks for your cooperation!"
Set 16: A Disruption at a Live Performance
- Prompt: You are at
a live performance, and the person next to you is talking loudly,
disrupting your enjoyment.
- Response:
"Excuse me.
I'm really sorry to interrupt, but I'm having a bit of trouble hearing the
performance. Would you mind keeping your voice down just a little? I'd really
appreciate it. Thank you so much."
Set 17: Managing Dietary Restrictions at a
Dinner
- Prompt: You've
organized a dinner, but friends have brought food without considering
others' dietary restrictions.
- Response:
"Hey everyone,
thanks so much for bringing all this amazing food! It looks delicious. I just
wanted to gently remind us all to be mindful of everyone's dietary
restrictions. We have a few people with allergies, so it would be great if we
could check the ingredients or set aside a separate area for allergy-friendly
dishes. Thanks for being so considerate!"
Set 18: A Conflict with a Coworker or Friend
- Prompt: Discuss the
process of resolving a conflict with a co-worker or friend in a
constructive manner.
- Response:
"If I had a
conflict with a colleague, I would first try to stay calm and listen to their
perspective. I think it's important to talk in a private place and use 'I'
statements to express how I feel without blaming them. For example, I would
say, 'I feel frustrated when...' instead of 'You always...'. The goal would be
to find a solution that works for both of us and move forward positively."
Set 19: Suggesting a Simpler Meal Plan
- Prompt: You're
hosting a dinner, and friends are suggesting elaborate dishes that require
too much preparation.
- Response:
"Hey everyone,
those ideas sound amazing! I love your enthusiasm. However, I'm a bit short on
time and resources this week. What if we went for something a little simpler
that's still delicious and satisfying? I was thinking of a great pasta dish or
a nice BBQ. That way, we can spend more time relaxing and catching up. What do
you all think?"
Set 20: Suggesting Simpler Fundraising Ideas
- Prompt: You're
coordinating a charity event, and the team proposes a silent auction that
requires too many resources.
- Response:
"Thanks for
that great suggestion. A silent auction is a fantastic idea, but I'm a bit
concerned about the resources and time it would take to organize. Maybe we
could consider some simpler fundraising ideas that are easier to manage, like a
bake sale or a sponsored walk, to get started. We can always aim for a bigger
event like an auction next year!"
30 more
high-quality PTE Respond to a Situation practice sets, bringing your total to 65
complete sets. These are carefully curated to cover the most frequently tested
themes in the actual PTE exam, including workplace conflicts, academic
integrity, customer service, social dilemmas, and emergency situations.
Each set includes a Prompt and a 40-second
Model Response with the correct tone (Formal or Informal).
FORMAL SITUATIONS (Academic &
Professional)
Set 1: Late Submission Due to
Technical Issues
- Prompt: You are
submitting an online assignment at 11:55 PM, but the university portal
crashes. The deadline is midnight. You email your professor.
- Response:
"Dear
Professor, I hope this email finds you well. I am writing to inform you that I
attempted to submit my assignment before the midnight deadline; however, the
university portal crashed at approximately 11:55 PM and I was unable to upload
my file. I have screenshots of the error message as evidence. I have my
completed assignment ready and would be grateful if you could advise me on an
alternative submission method. I apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate
your understanding in this matter."
Set 2: Requesting a Letter of
Recommendation
- Prompt: You are
applying for a Master's program and need a letter of recommendation from
your former professor. You haven't spoken to them in two years.
- Response:
"Good morning,
Professor. I hope you are doing well. My name is [Your Name], and I was a
student in your Advanced Economics class two years ago. I am currently applying
for a Master's program in Finance, and I would be deeply honored if you would
consider writing a letter of recommendation for me. I understand you are very
busy, so I have prepared a summary of my achievements and the courses I took
with you to make the process easier. Please let me know if you would be
comfortable supporting my application."
Set 3: Declining a Job Offer Politely
- Prompt: You
received a job offer from a company, but you have decided to accept a
different position. You need to call the HR manager to decline.
- Response:
"Good
afternoon, Ms. Thompson. Thank you so much for offering me the position of
Marketing Associate at your company. I truly appreciate the time and effort you
and your team invested in the interview process. After careful consideration, I
have decided to accept another opportunity that aligns more closely with my
long-term career goals. This was a very difficult decision, as I was genuinely
impressed by your organization. I wish you and your team all the very best in
finding the right candidate."
Set 4: Requesting Time Off for a
Family Emergency
- Prompt: You need to
take three days of emergency leave because your parent has been
hospitalized. You are speaking to your manager.
- Response:
"Good morning.
I'm afraid I need to request emergency leave starting today. My father has been
admitted to the hospital with a serious condition, and I need to be with my
family during this time. I will need approximately three days off. I have already
delegated my urgent tasks to my colleague, Sarah, and I will ensure she has all
the necessary information. I will also be checking my emails periodically. I
apologize for the short notice and appreciate your understanding."
Set 5: Complaining About a Noisy
Office Environment
- Prompt: Your office
has an open-plan layout, and a nearby team is constantly having loud
conversations, making it impossible for you to focus on your work.
- Response:
"Good
afternoon. I wanted to discuss a concern regarding the office environment. I'm
finding it quite challenging to concentrate on my work because the team near my
desk frequently has loud conversations throughout the day. I understand that
collaboration is important, but I wonder if we could explore some solutions.
Perhaps we could designate quiet zones for focused work, or I could request a
move to a quieter area. I'm happy to work together to find a solution that
benefits everyone."
Set 6: Clarifying a Misunderstanding
with a Client
- Prompt: A client
has sent an angry email, accusing you of overcharging them. You know it's
a misunderstanding due to a currency conversion error.
- Response:
"Dear Mr.
Harrison, thank you for bringing this to my attention. I completely understand
your frustration regarding the invoice amount. Upon investigation, I have
identified that this was a misunderstanding caused by a currency conversion
error on our end. The correct amount in your local currency is actually
[correct amount]. I have already corrected the invoice and will send you the
revised version within the hour. I sincerely apologize for any confusion this
has caused and appreciate your patience."
Set 7: Requesting a Transfer to
Another Department
- Prompt: You have
been working in the accounting department for three years, but you are
passionate about marketing. You request a transfer.
- Response:
"Good morning.
I would like to formally express my interest in transferring to the Marketing
Department. I have been with the Accounting team for three years and have
genuinely enjoyed my work here. However, I have always been passionate about
marketing, and I have been taking online courses in digital marketing in my
free time. I believe my analytical skills from accounting would be a valuable
asset to the marketing team. I would be grateful if you could consider this
request and advise me on the proper procedure."
Set 8: Handling a Disagreement with a
Supervisor
- Prompt: Your
supervisor wants to implement a new strategy that you believe will be
ineffective and costly. You need to express your concerns respectfully.
- Response:
"Thank you for
sharing your vision for the new strategy. I appreciate the thought you've put
into this. However, I have some concerns about the potential costs and
effectiveness based on my previous experience. I wonder if we could perhaps
pilot this strategy on a smaller scale first to gather some data?
Alternatively, I have prepared a brief analysis comparing this approach with a
few other options that might be more cost-effective. Would you be open to
reviewing it?"
Set 9: Asking a Professor for
Clarification on Grades
- Prompt: You
received a lower grade than expected on your final paper. You believe
there may have been a miscalculation.
- Response:
"Good
afternoon, Professor. I hope you are having a good day. I am writing to
respectfully request a brief meeting to discuss my final paper grade. I
received a score of 65%, which was lower than I anticipated, and I would like
to better understand the feedback so I can improve in the future. I also
noticed a possible discrepancy in the calculation of the final grade. I would
be grateful for a few minutes of your time to clarify this. Please let me know
when you are available."
Set 10: Resigning from a Position
Professionally
- Prompt: You have
decided to resign from your current job because you have found a better
opportunity. You need to inform your manager.
- Response:
"Good morning.
I am writing to formally submit my resignation from my position as Senior
Analyst, effective four weeks from today. I want to express my sincere
gratitude for the opportunities I have had here. I have learned so much and
truly valued being part of this team. I have accepted another position that
aligns with my long-term career goals. I am fully committed to ensuring a
smooth transition during my notice period and am happy to assist in training my
replacement."
Set 11: Missing a Flight Due to
Overbooking
- Prompt: You arrive
at the airport, but the airline has overbooked the flight and you have
been bumped off. You are speaking to the customer service agent.
- Response:
"Good morning.
I understand that overbooking happens, but I am frustrated because I arrived on
time and confirmed my booking. I have a very important business meeting this
afternoon that I cannot miss. I would appreciate it if you could check if there
is any seat available on another flight today, even if it means a different
airline. I also expect to be compensated according to your policy. What options
can you offer me?"
Set 12: Complaining About Poor Service
at a Hotel
- Prompt: You have
been waiting for room service for over an hour, and your room's air
conditioning is not working. You call the front desk.
- Response:
"Good evening.
This is [Name] from Room 512. I'm calling to report two issues. Firstly, I
ordered room service over an hour ago and it hasn't arrived. Secondly, the air conditioning
in my room appears to be malfunctioning, and it's quite uncomfortable. I
understand that you may be busy, but I would appreciate it if you could send
someone to address both issues as soon as possible. If the room service order
has been lost, I would like to cancel it and order something else. Thank you
for your assistance."
Set 13: Responding to a Security
Breach at Work
- Prompt: You are an
IT manager. An employee accidentally clicked on a phishing link, potentially
compromising company data.
- Response:
"Good morning,
everyone. I need to address a serious security incident. One of our team
members inadvertently clicked on a phishing link earlier today. We have already
isolated the affected device and initiated a full security scan. I want to
assure you that we are taking this very seriously. I will be sending an urgent
email to all staff with reminders about identifying suspicious emails. Please
do not click on any links or attachments from unknown senders. I will provide
further updates as we investigate."
Set 14: Requesting a Budget Increase
for a Project
- Prompt: You are
leading a project and have realized that you need additional funds to
complete it successfully. You present this to your manager.
- Response:
"Good morning.
I would like to discuss the budget for the [Project Name]. We are currently at
a critical stage, and I have identified that we need an additional [amount] to
cover unexpected costs related to software licensing. This investment will ensure
the project is completed on time and to a high standard. I have prepared a
detailed breakdown of these costs and the expected return on investment. I
would be grateful if you could review it and consider approving this
increase."
Set 15: Explaining a Gap in Your
Resume
- Prompt: During a
job interview, the interviewer asks you about a one-year gap in your
employment history.
- Response:
"Thank you for
asking. During that year, I took a sabbatical to care for a family member who
was seriously ill. It was a challenging but meaningful time. However, during
that period, I also used the time to upskill by completing several online
certifications in project management and data analysis. I am now fully ready to
re-enter the workforce and apply my updated skills to contribute to your
organization."
Set 16: Requesting Additional
Resources for a Course
- Prompt: You are a
student who needs access to specific software for your course, but the
university lab doesn't have it installed.
- Response:
"Good
afternoon. I am a student in the Advanced Graphic Design course. I need to use
specific software for my final project, but unfortunately, it is not installed
on the university computers. I would like to request that the software be
installed in the lab, or alternatively, I would appreciate guidance on how to
access it through a student license. I'm happy to provide the software details
and installation instructions. Thank you for your assistance."
Set 17: Requesting a Change in Project
Deadline
- Prompt: You are
working on a team project, and a key team member has fallen ill, delaying
progress. You need to ask your client for more time.
- Response:
"Good morning.
I am writing to discuss the timeline for our current project. Unfortunately,
one of our key team members has fallen seriously ill and will be unavailable
for the next two weeks. This will inevitably cause a delay in our deliverables.
I would like to request a two-week extension on the deadline. We are committed
to delivering high-quality work, and this extension will allow us to maintain
our standards. I apologize for any inconvenience."
Set 18: Reporting a Workplace
Harassment Incident
- Prompt: You have
witnessed a colleague being bullied by another employee. You decide to
report it to HR.
- Response:
"Good morning.
I am here to report an incident of workplace harassment that I witnessed
yesterday. A colleague of mine was repeatedly belittled and verbally abused by
another employee in front of other team members. I felt it was inappropriate
and created a hostile work environment. I am providing this report because I
believe in maintaining a respectful workplace. I am willing to provide further
details if needed. I would appreciate it if this matter could be handled
confidentially."
INFORMAL SITUATIONS (Social &
Everyday)
Set 19: Asking a Friend to Return
Something They Borrowed
- Prompt: Your friend
borrowed your expensive headphones two months ago and keeps forgetting to
return them. You need them for a trip.
- Response:
"Hey, I hope
you're doing well! I was just sorting through my stuff and remembered that I
lent you my good headphones a couple of months ago. I actually need them for a
flight I have next week. Would you mind dropping them off at my place sometime
this weekend? I'd really appreciate it. If that's not convenient, I can swing
by yours to pick them up. Let me know what works!"
Set 20: Inviting a Friend to a
Last-Minute Event
- Prompt: You have an
extra ticket to a concert tonight because your friend canceled. You invite
another friend.
- Response:
"Hey! I know
this is super last-minute, but my friend just canceled on me for the concert
tonight, and I have an extra ticket. It's [Artist Name] at the stadium. I
thought of you immediately because I know you like their music. The concert
starts at 8 PM, so we'd need to leave by 7. Are you free? It's totally on me,
no need to pay for the ticket. Just let me know as soon as possible!"
Set 21: Asking a Neighbor to Receive a
Package
- Prompt: You are
expecting a delivery tomorrow, but you won't be home. You ask your
neighbor to accept it on your behalf.
- Response:
"Hi there! I
hope you're having a good week. I'm really sorry to bother you, but I have a
package being delivered tomorrow, and I won't be home to receive it. Would you
mind accepting it for me if the courier comes while I'm out? It's just a small
box. I can pick it up from you in the evening. I'd be so grateful. And of course,
feel free to accept packages for me anytime in the future!"
Set 22: Resolving a Dispute Over a
Shared Bill
- Prompt: You went
out for dinner with friends. One friend forgot to pay their share, and the
bill was settled by someone else.
- Response:
"Hey everyone!
I just want to check in about the dinner bill from last night. I noticed that
the total came to about $120, and I think one of us might have forgotten to
chip in. I'm not trying to point fingers, but I just want to make sure we're
all squared up. Could we do a quick check on who paid what? If anyone's short,
don't worry about it—we can sort it out easily. Just let me know!"
Set 23: Hosting a Potluck with Dietary
Restrictions
- Prompt: You are
organizing a potluck dinner, and one of your friends has a severe nut
allergy. You need to inform the group.
- Response:
"Hi everyone,
so excited for our potluck this Saturday! I just wanted to give a quick
heads-up: our friend Lisa has a severe nut allergy. So, if you're planning to
bring a dish, please make sure it's completely nut-free. It would be really
helpful if you could bring the ingredient list or label your dish clearly. We
all want Lisa to feel safe and included, so let's make sure we're all mindful
of this. Thanks, everyone!"
Set 24: Apologizing for Missing a
Friend's Party
- Prompt: You missed
your best friend's birthday party because you completely forgot the date.
You call to apologize.
- Response:
"Hey, I am so,
so sorry I missed your birthday party! I honestly have no excuse—I just
completely forgot what date it was and got caught up with work. I feel
absolutely terrible. I know you put so much effort into planning it. Can I make
it up to you this weekend? I'm taking you out for dinner, my treat, and I
already have your gift here. I really hope you can forgive me!"
Set 25: Dealing with a Lost Item at a
Gym
- Prompt: You left
your gym bag in the locker room, and when you returned, it was gone. You
speak to the gym staff.
- Response:
"Hi, I have a
bit of a problem. I left my gym bag in the men's locker room about an hour ago,
and when I just went back to get it, it wasn't there. It's a black Nike bag
with my wallet and keys inside. I checked the lost and found, but it's not
there either. Could you please check your security cameras? I'm really worried,
as my wallet has all my cards and ID. I'd really appreciate any help you can
give me."
Set 26: Asking a Friend for Help
Moving Heavy Furniture
- Prompt: You just
bought a new sofa, and the delivery company only drops it at the curb. You
need your friend's help to carry it inside.
- Response:
"Hey! I have a
huge favor to ask. My new sofa is being delivered today, but the delivery guys
will only drop it off at the curb. I need a strong pair of hands to help me
carry it up the stairs and into my living room. I know it's short notice, but
do you think you could help me out for maybe 15 minutes this afternoon? I'll
definitely buy you a pizza and a few beers afterward!"
Set 27: Addressing a Friend's Habit of
Being Late
- Prompt: Your friend
is consistently late to meet you, and it's starting to affect your
schedule and mood.
- Response:
"Hey, can we
talk about something that's been on my mind? I've noticed you've been a bit
late to our meetups lately. I totally understand that things come up, but it
does impact my schedule, especially when I have other things planned afterward.
I really value our time together, so I'd appreciate it if we could both try to
be a bit more punctual. Maybe we could try meeting 15 minutes earlier than
planned, just to be safe?"
Set 28: Addressing a Loud Party
Complaint
- Prompt: Your
neighbor is having a loud party on a weeknight, and you have an early
morning shift. You knock on their door.
- Response:
"Hey, I'm
really sorry to interrupt your party. I live next door, and I have an early
shift tomorrow morning. I was wondering if you could just turn the music down a
little bit so I could get some sleep? I totally understand wanting to have a
good time, and I don't want to be the buzzkill. If you could lower the volume
just a bit, that would be amazing. Thanks so much for understanding!"
Set 29: Asking for an Extension on a
Personal Loan from a Friend
- Prompt: You
borrowed some money from a friend and promised to pay it back this month,
but you can't. You ask for more time.
- Response:
"Hey, I hope
you're doing well. I need to talk to you about the money I borrowed a few
months ago. I know I promised to pay you back this month, but I've had some
unexpected medical bills come up, and I'm a bit tight on cash right now. I feel
terrible asking, but would it be okay if I paid you back next month instead? I
completely understand if that's not okay, but I wanted to be upfront and honest
with you."
Set 30: Inviting a New Neighbor to a
Community BBQ
- Prompt: You are
organizing a community BBQ to welcome a new neighbor to the street.
- Response:
"Hi there! My
name is [Your Name], and I live just two doors down. I wanted to stop by and
personally welcome you to the neighborhood! We're actually having a small
community BBQ this Saturday afternoon at the park around the corner, and we'd
love for you to join us. It's a great way to meet everyone. Please bring the
family, and don't worry about bringing anything—we have all the food covered.
We're really excited to have you here!"
Final Checklist for Your Practice
Sessions
When practicing these 30 sets (and the
previous 35), always ask yourself:
|
CriteriaDid I...? |
|
|
Greeting |
Open
with an appropriate greeting (Formal: "Good morning"; Informal:
"Hey")? |
|
Acknowledge |
Show
empathy or understanding of the other person's situation? |
|
Position |
Clearly
state my decision, problem, or request? |
|
Solution |
Offer
a clear, practical alternative or next step? |
|
Closing |
End
politely (Formal: "Thank you for your understanding"; Informal:
"Let me know!")? |
|
Timing |
Speak
for at least 35 seconds without rushing? |
|
Fluency |
Avoid
long pauses and maintain a natural rhythm? |
No comments:
Post a Comment