PERSONAL PROFILE
|
CategoryDetails |
|
|
Name |
Biswas Theeng |
|
Hometown |
Rapti Municipality, Bagmati Province, Nepal |
|
Current Location |
Sharjah, United Arab Emirates |
|
Current Work |
Officer at a Multinational Company |
|
Past Work Experience |
Chef in Singapore |
|
Ambition |
Career growth, business ownership, and family settlement |
PERSONAL INTRODUCTION (Warm-up)
This is not officially scored but
sets the tone for the exam.
Examiner: Good morning. My name is Sarah. Could you please tell
me your full name?
Biswas: Good morning. My full name is Biswas Theeng.
Examiner: And what would you like me to call you?
Biswas: You can call me Biswas, please.
Examiner: Thank you. Can I see your identification?
Biswas: Yes, of course. Here is my passport.
Examiner: Thank you, Biswas. Now, let's begin the test.
MASTER CONFIDENCE-BUILDING PHRASES
Simple Phrases (Band 5-6)
|
SituationUseful
Phrase |
|
|
Giving time to think |
"Well, let me think about that..." |
|
Buying time |
"That's an interesting question..." |
|
Making a point |
"I think that..." / "In my opinion..." |
|
Giving examples |
"For example..." / "Such as..." |
|
Agreeing |
"Yes, I agree because..." |
|
Disagreeing politely |
"I see your point, but I think..." |
|
Emphasizing |
"What I mean is..." / "The point is..." |
|
Concluding |
"So, in conclusion..." / "To sum up..." |
Intermediate Phrases (Band 6-7)
|
SituationUseful
Phrase |
|
|
Giving time to think |
"That's a thought-provoking question. Let me gather my
thoughts." |
|
Buying time |
"I haven't really considered that before, but if I had
to say..." |
|
Making a point |
"I firmly believe that..." / "From my
perspective..." |
|
Giving examples |
"To illustrate, let me give you an example..." /
"Take... for instance." |
|
Agreeing |
"I couldn't agree more because..." |
|
Disagreeing politely |
"While I understand your point, I would argue
that..." |
|
Emphasizing |
"What I'm trying to say is..." / "The
crucial point is..." |
|
Concluding |
"All things considered..." / "To wrap
up..." |
Advanced Phrases (Band 7-9)
|
SituationUseful
Phrase |
|
|
Giving time to think |
"That's a multifaceted question. If I could take a
moment to reflect..." |
|
Buying time |
"I've never really pondered that before, but off the
top of my head..." |
|
Making a point |
"I would contend that..." / "It's my firm
conviction that..." |
|
Giving examples |
"This is exemplified by..." / "To cite a
case in point..." |
|
Agreeing |
"I wholeheartedly concur with that notion
because..." |
|
Disagreeing politely |
"While I appreciate your perspective, I beg to differ
on the grounds that..." |
|
Emphasizing |
"What I'm driving at is..." / "The salient
point here is..." |
|
Concluding |
"In the final analysis..." / "To encapsulate
my viewpoint..." |
PART 1: Introduction & General
Topics (4-5 minutes)
SET 1: Work & Current Life in UAE
Examiner: Where are you currently living?
Biswas: (Intermediate) I'm currently residing in Sharjah,
which is one of the seven emirates of the United Arab Emirates. I've been
living there for some time now, and I genuinely appreciate the multicultural
environment and the professional opportunities it offers.
Examiner: What do you do for work in the UAE?
Biswas: (Advanced) I'm currently employed as an officer at a
multinational company based in Sharjah. It's a dynamic role that involves
coordinating operations across different departments and ensuring smooth
workflow. The experience has been incredibly enriching, as I work with
colleagues from diverse cultural backgrounds.
Examiner: How did you get this job?
Biswas: (Intermediate) Actually, I came across this
opportunity through a professional networking platform. After going through
several rounds of interviews, I was fortunate enough to be selected. My
previous experience working in Singapore as a chef actually helped me develop
strong discipline and teamwork skills, which I believe contributed to my
selection.
Examiner: What do you enjoy most about your current job?
Biswas: (Advanced) What I find most fulfilling about my
current role is the opportunity to solve complex problems and contribute to the
company's growth. Additionally, I work with a remarkably supportive team, and
the company provides continuous learning opportunities, which I greatly value.
Examiner: Do you miss your previous job as a chef?
Biswas: (Intermediate) That's an interesting question. I do
miss certain aspects of being a chef, particularly the creativity involved in
preparing dishes and the immediate satisfaction of seeing customers enjoy your
food. However, I don't regret my career transition because my current role
offers better career growth prospects and work-life balance.
Examiner: What is your typical workday like?
Biswas: (Intermediate) A typical workday starts around 8 AM.
I begin by reviewing emails and planning my tasks for the day. I attend
meetings with my team, prepare reports, and coordinate with other departments.
After work, I usually unwind by going for a walk or connecting with family back
in Nepal through video calls.
SET 2: Hometown & Background
Examiner: Where are you originally from?
Biswas: (Simple) I'm originally from Rapti Municipality,
which is located in Bagmati Province, Nepal. It's a peaceful area surrounded by
beautiful hills and rivers. I grew up there and have many fond memories of my
childhood.
Examiner: What is your hometown famous for?
Biswas: (Intermediate) Rapti Municipality is known for its
scenic beauty and agricultural productivity. The region produces a variety of
crops, including rice, wheat, and vegetables. It's also located near some
beautiful rivers that attract nature lovers and tourists.
Examiner: How has your hometown changed since you left?
Biswas: (Advanced) The transformation has been quite
remarkable. When I left, it was primarily an agricultural area with basic
infrastructure. Now, roads have been improved, internet connectivity has
expanded, and there's noticeable economic development. However, what's
heartening is that the sense of community and traditional values remain intact.
Examiner: Do you visit your hometown often?
Biswas: (Intermediate) I try to visit my hometown whenever I
get the chance, usually once a year. With my current job in the UAE and the
demands of professional life, it's not always easy. However, I make it a
priority to visit during major festivals to spend time with my family.
Examiner: Would you ever consider moving back to your hometown?
Biswas: (Advanced) That's a significant consideration for the
future. While I appreciate the opportunities that come with living abroad, I do
feel a strong pull toward my roots. Perhaps I would consider moving back after
gaining more experience and financial stability, perhaps to start my own
business or to contribute to my community's development in some way.
SET 3: Work Experience in Singapore
Examiner: You mentioned you worked in Singapore. How long did
you work there?
Biswas: (Intermediate) I worked in Singapore for
approximately [X] years as a chef. It was a transformative period of my life
where I learned not just culinary skills but also invaluable lessons about
professionalism, discipline, and cultural diversity.
Examiner: What was your experience like working as a chef in
Singapore?
Biswas: (Advanced) Working as a chef in Singapore was both
challenging and incredibly rewarding. The culinary scene there is highly
competitive and diverse, which pushed me to constantly improve my skills. I had
the opportunity to work with talented chefs from around the world, learn
different cuisines, and develop the ability to work under intense pressure. It
was a steep learning curve, but I emerged a much stronger professional.
Examiner: Why did you leave Singapore?
Biswas: (Intermediate) I decided to leave Singapore primarily
to explore new opportunities and broaden my career horizons. While I thoroughly
enjoyed my time there, I felt that I had reached a plateau and needed a new
challenge. That's when I came across the opportunity in the UAE, which offered
a different kind of professional growth.
Examiner: What skills from your chef experience help you in
your current job?
Biswas: (Advanced) Surprisingly, many skills are
transferable. The discipline required in a professional kitchen, the ability to
work in a fast-paced environment, and the importance of teamwork are all
applicable in my current role. Additionally, as a chef, I developed exceptional
time management and attention to detail, which are essential qualities for any
professional. I often tell my colleagues that if you can handle the chaos of a
restaurant kitchen during peak hours, you can handle almost any workplace
challenge!
Examiner: Do you prefer working in Singapore or the UAE?
Biswas: (Intermediate) It's difficult to compare because both
experiences have been valuable in different ways. Singapore offered a unique
culinary experience and exposure to Asian cuisine. The UAE, on the other hand,
has allowed me to transition into a corporate career and develop a different
skill set. Each destination has contributed to my personal and professional
growth in its own way.
SET 4: Hobbies & Free Time
Examiner: What do you enjoy doing in your free time?
Biswas: (Simple) In my free time, I enjoy cooking, which is a
skill I developed during my chef days. I also love travelling and exploring new
places. Whenever I get the chance, I explore different parts of the UAE or plan
trips back to Nepal.
Examiner: Do you still cook even though you're not a chef
anymore?
Biswas: (Intermediate) Absolutely! Cooking has become a
passion that I can't let go of. In fact, I often prepare Nepali meals for my
friends and colleagues here in Sharjah. It's a wonderful way to share my
culture and stay connected to my roots. I also enjoy experimenting with fusion
recipes, combining Nepali flavors with international cuisines.
Examiner: What do you do on weekends?
Biswas: (Intermediate) On weekends, I usually explore the
city, visit local markets, or meet up with friends. Sharjah and the neighboring
emirates have a lot to offer, from cultural attractions to stunning beaches.
Sometimes I use the weekend to relax, catch up on reading, or video call my
family in Nepal.
Examiner: Do you exercise regularly?
Biswas: (Intermediate) I try to maintain a regular exercise
routine. I usually go for a walk or a light jog in the evenings after work. The
weather in Sharjah can be quite hot, so I often use the gym facilities at my
apartment building. Staying physically active helps me manage stress and
maintain my energy levels.
Examiner: Have you picked up any new hobbies since moving to
the UAE?
Biswas: (Advanced) Yes, I've developed an interest in
photography, particularly urban photography. The UAE offers such a fascinating
blend of modern architecture and traditional culture. I enjoy capturing the
contrast between the towering skyscrapers and the timeless desert landscapes.
It's become a wonderful creative outlet for me.
SET 5: Future Plans & Ambitions
Examiner: What are your plans for the future?
Biswas: (Intermediate) My immediate plan is to continue
growing in my current role and gain more experience in the corporate sector. In
the long run, I aspire to start my own business, perhaps related to food and
hospitality, given my background as a chef. I also plan to settle with my
family in a place where we can have a good quality of life.
Examiner: Would you like to start your own business?
Biswas: (Advanced) Absolutely. Entrepreneurship has always
been on my radar. Combining my culinary expertise with my corporate experience,
I believe I could build something meaningful. Perhaps a restaurant or a food
consultancy business. The idea of creating something from scratch and providing
employment opportunities to others is deeply motivating for me.
Examiner: Where do you see yourself in five years?
Biswas: (Intermediate) In five years, I hope to have achieved
significant career growth and perhaps be running my own business. I also hope
to be settled with my family, whether that's in Nepal, the UAE, or elsewhere.
The key is to find a place where I can balance professional success with
personal happiness.
Examiner: Do you want to return to Nepal permanently?
Biswas: (Advanced) That's a decision I contemplate often. I
have a deep emotional connection to Nepal, my roots, and my culture. However, I
also appreciate the opportunities and lifestyle that living abroad provides.
Ultimately, I think I would like to return to Nepal eventually, but perhaps not
until I've accumulated sufficient experience and resources to make a meaningful
contribution there.
Examiner: What advice would you give to young people from Nepal
who want to work abroad?
Biswas: (Advanced) I would tell them to dream big but also be
prepared to work hard. Working abroad is not always easy; it requires patience,
resilience, and adaptability. I would advise them to invest in their skills, be
open to learning, and never forget their roots. The experience of working
abroad can be incredibly enriching, but it's important to stay grounded and
remember why you started.
No comments:
Post a Comment