Sunday, 16 August 2026

PTE Academic Respond to a Situation

 PTE Academic Respond to a Situation

The "Respond to a Situation" task is a new addition to the PTE Academic exam, designed to assess your ability to handle real-world university or workplace scenarios with appropriate spoken English . Here is a comprehensive guide to help you master it.


📝 Task Introduction and Exam Format

What is the task?

You will be presented with a written or audio scenario based on everyday campus or professional life (e.g., talking to a professor, dealing with a landlord, or responding to a colleague). You have a short time to prepare and then must speak a natural and appropriate response .

Number of Questions & Scoring

The "Respond to a Situation" task is a key part of the PTE Speaking section. The key facts are summarized below.

Feature

Details

Number of Questions

2 to 3 per exam session .

Preparation Time

20 seconds .

Response Time

40 seconds .

Scoring Weight

Contributes approximately 6% to your overall score and 13% to your Speaking score .

Scoring Type

Partial Credit (AI + human verification) .


🎯 How to Approach the Task

To score well, you need to demonstrate both content relevance and appropriate language. Here is a reliable template and strategy .

1. Introduction (Set the Tone)

Greeting: Start with a polite salutation appropriate to the person. Address the person directly (e.g., "Good morning, Professor," "Hello, [Name]").

Purpose: State the reason for your call or message clearly and immediately. This shows you understand the topic.

2. Body (Address the Issue)

Explain the Situation: Provide a brief, clear account of the issue or your perspective. Include necessary details (e.g., "The problem started two weeks ago...").

Offer a Solution/Request: State what you want or what you will do. Give a logical reason for your choice (e.g., "I can't come to the event because I have a deadline.").

Add Details: Include any specific, relevant information like dates, times, or names.

3. Conclusion (End Politely)

Closing: End with a courteous statement. Ask for a follow-up, offer thanks, or suggest a next step (e.g., "Please let me know what you decide," "I look forward to hearing from you.").


🗣️ Formal vs. Informal Language

The single most important strategy is matching your language to the situation and the person you are addressing . Using the wrong tone is a frequent and costly error .

Formal Situations (Professor, Manager, Landlord, Service Complaint)

Characteristics: Professional, respectful, polite, precise vocabulary.

Phrases to Use:

  • "I am writing to request..."
  • "I would like to inform you..."
  • "I would appreciate your assistance with..."
  • "Could you please...".

Phrases to Avoid: Informal greetings (e.g., "Hey"), contractions (e.g., "don't", "can't"), vague words (e.g., "stuff", "a lot"), and slang.

Informal Situations (Friend, Classmate, Peer)

Characteristics: Friendly, casual, natural conversational tone.

Phrases to Use:

  • "Hi [Name]!"
  • "I just wanted to let you know..."
  • "I'm sorry, but I can't make it because..."
  • "Could we maybe...?"
  • "Thanks a lot!"

Phrases to Avoid: Overly formal and stiff language that would sound unnatural between friends.


💡 Exam-based Examples

Let's look at how to apply these rules to different scenarios.

Scenario A: Formal – Student to Professor

Prompt: You have missed a class for an important reason. Leave a message for your professor.

Model Answer (Formal):

"Hello, Professor [Name]. This is [Your Name] from your Tuesday morning History 101 class. I am calling to inform you that I was unfortunately unable to attend the lecture today. I apologize for my absence and hope it didn't cause any disruption. I had a sudden personal matter that required my immediate attention. If possible, I would like to schedule a brief meeting during your office hours to catch up on what I missed. I would also be very grateful if you could let me know the topics covered. Thank you for your time, and I look forward to speaking with you soon."


Scenario B: Informal – Friend to Friend

Prompt: Your friend has invited you to a weekend trip, but you have a prior commitment. Respond.

Model Answer (Informal):

"Hey [Friend's Name], thanks so much for the invite to the hiking trip this weekend! It sounds like a lot of fun. I'm really sorry, but I'm going to have to say no this time. My family is visiting from out of town, and I have to spend Saturday with them. I was really hoping to come, but maybe we can plan for another weekend? I know you've been wanting to go to that spot, so we should definitely reschedule. Let me know what you think. Thanks for understanding!"

15 Complete Sets of “Respond to a Situation” Tasks

Each set contains one formal and one informal situation, followed by a complete model answer.


Set 1: Apologizing for Missing Something

Formal: Student to Professor

Prompt: You missed an important exam due to a family emergency. Leave a voicemail for your professor explaining the situation and requesting a chance to retake it.

Complete Answer (Formal)

"Good morning, Professor Anderson. This is Michael Chen from your Economics 201 class, section B. I am calling to sincerely apologize for missing the midterm examination today. Unfortunately, I received an urgent call this morning that my mother was hospitalized, and I had to rush to the hospital immediately. I understand this is a serious matter, and I take full responsibility for not notifying you in advance. I am respectfully requesting an opportunity to discuss the possibility of a makeup examination at your earliest convenience. I am available any time that suits your schedule. I would be extremely grateful for your understanding in this difficult situation. Please let me know if you require any documentation. Thank you for your time, and I hope to hear from you soon."

Informal: Friend to Friend

Prompt: You promised to pick up your friend from the airport, but you completely forgot. Call your friend and apologize.

Complete Answer (Informal)

"Hey Sarah! Oh my gosh, I am so, so sorry! I completely spaced out and forgot that I was supposed to pick you up from the airport today. I feel absolutely terrible about it. I was so caught up with work that it totally slipped my mind. I know you must be really frustrated with me right now. Please, let me make it up to you. I can call a cab for you right now, or I can come and get you if you're willing to wait about thirty minutes. I really am so sorry for the inconvenience. Let me know what you want to do, and I'll fix this right away. Again, I'm really sorry!"


Set 2: Making a Complaint

Formal: Customer to Service Provider

Prompt: You ordered a new laptop online, but it arrived damaged. Call the customer service department to complain and request a replacement.

Complete Answer (Formal)

"Good morning, my name is Priya Sharma, and I am calling to register a complaint regarding an online order I recently received. My order number is 874392, and I placed it on the 15th of this month. The laptop arrived today, but unfortunately, the packaging was severely damaged, and upon opening it, I discovered that the screen is cracked and the device will not power on. This is extremely disappointing as I urgently need this laptop for my work. I would like to request a full replacement for this damaged unit. Could you please advise me on the procedure for returning this item and receiving a new one? I would also appreciate expedited shipping for the replacement. Please let me know what documentation you require from me. I look forward to your prompt assistance in resolving this matter."

Informal: Customer to Friend

Prompt: You bought a phone online that stopped working after one day. Tell your friend about it and ask for advice.

Complete Answer (Informal)

"Hey Rahul! You won't believe what happened. I bought that new smartphone I was telling you about, and it literally stopped working after just one day! I'm so annoyed right now. I spent so much money on it, and now it won't even turn on. I feel like I got scammed or something. What do you think I should do? Should I call customer service, or should I just return it and ask for a refund? You're usually good with this kind of stuff. I'm thinking of going to the store directly tomorrow. Do you want to come with me? I could really use some support. Let me know what you think!"


Set 3: Requesting an Extension

Formal: Student to Professor

Prompt: You have a major research paper due in two days, but you are struggling to complete it. Email your professor requesting an extension.

Complete Answer (Formal)

"Dear Professor Williams, I hope this email finds you well. I am writing to respectfully request a short extension on the research paper due this Friday for your Sociology 301 class. I have been diligently working on the paper, but I have unfortunately fallen behind schedule due to a severe case of food poisoning that kept me bedridden for three days this week. I have completed most of the research, but I need a few more days to properly analyze the data and write my conclusions. I am not asking for a long delay; I would be very grateful if you could grant me a three-day extension until Monday. I understand the importance of deadlines and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Please let me know if this is acceptable, or if you require any documentation. Thank you for your understanding."

Informal: Friend to Friend

Prompt: You promised to help your friend move to a new apartment this weekend, but you need to reschedule. Call and explain.

Complete Answer (Informal)

"Hey Jake! I'm really sorry to do this, but I need to bail on helping you move this weekend. My boss just dumped a huge project on me, and I have to work all weekend to get it done. I feel so bad because I know you were counting on me. I promise I'm not just trying to get out of it! Can we reschedule for next weekend instead? I'll bring pizza and drinks to make up for it. Or, if you can find someone else for Saturday, I can definitely help on Sunday afternoon. I'm so sorry about this. Let me know what works for you, and I'll make it happen!"


Set 4: Declining an Invitation

Formal: Employee to Manager

Prompt: Your manager has invited you to a weekend team-building retreat, but you have a family obligation. Respond politely.

Complete Answer (Formal)

"Good afternoon, Mr. Thompson. I hope you are having a pleasant day. I am writing to graciously thank you for the invitation to the team-building retreat this coming weekend. I very much appreciate being included, and I am certain it will be a wonderful event. Unfortunately, I must respectfully decline as I have a prior family commitment that I cannot reschedule. My parents are celebrating their 40th wedding anniversary, and the family gathering has been planned for months. I truly regret that I will not be able to join the team, and I hope this will not cause any inconvenience. Please let me know if there is any way I can contribute to the event preparation in advance. I look forward to participating in future team activities."

Informal: Friend to Friend

Prompt: Your friend is having a party this weekend, but you are exhausted and want to stay home. Respond to their invitation.

Complete Answer (Informal)

"Hey Maya! Thanks so much for inviting me to your party this weekend! I bet it's going to be amazing. Honestly though, I think I'm going to have to take a rain check on this one. I've had the most exhausting week ever, and I'm completely drained. I just want to stay home and do absolutely nothing this weekend. I feel bad because you're always throwing great parties, and I hate missing them. Let's definitely hang out soon, maybe just the two of us for coffee next week? I'll make it up to you, I promise! Have an awesome party!"


Set 5: Asking for Help

Formal: Student to Academic Advisor

Prompt: You are struggling to choose your courses for next semester. Call your academic advisor to schedule a meeting.

Complete Answer (Formal)

"Hello, this is David Kim calling from the Computer Science department. I am a sophomore student, and I was hoping to speak with you regarding my course selection for the upcoming semester. I am feeling quite uncertain about which electives would best align with my career goals in artificial intelligence. I would be extremely grateful for an opportunity to schedule a brief meeting with you to discuss my options and seek your professional guidance. I am available on Monday, Wednesday, or Friday afternoons at your convenience. Could you please let me know if you have any available time slots next week? Thank you very much for your time and assistance."

Informal: Friend to Friend

Prompt: You need to borrow some money until your payday. Call your friend and ask for help.

Complete Answer (Informal)

"Hey Sam! I know this is a really awkward question, but I'm in a bit of a tight spot. My paycheck doesn't come in until next Friday, and I've literally got no cash left for food or transport. I feel so embarrassed asking, but is there any chance you could lend me about two thousand rupees until I get paid? I promise I'll pay you back the very day I get my salary. I totally understand if you can't, but I just thought I'd ask. Let me know, and thanks for always being such a good friend!"


Set 6: Resolving a Conflict

Formal: Employee to Colleague

Prompt: A colleague has been taking credit for your work in team meetings. Speak to them privately about the issue.

Complete Answer (Formal)

"Good afternoon, Anita. Do you have a moment to speak privately? I wanted to discuss something that has been on my mind regarding our recent team meetings. I've noticed that during the presentations, my contributions to the project were mentioned as part of your work. I feel that it's important for us to be clear about who is responsible for which aspects of the project. I have no problem collaborating, and I value our teamwork, but I would appreciate it if you could acknowledge my contributions when they are presented. I'm sure this was not intentional, but I wanted to bring it to your attention directly. How would you feel about dividing the presentation sections more clearly in the future so that we both get proper recognition?"

Informal: Friend to Friend

Prompt: Your best friend promised to come to your important event but didn't show up. Call them to express how you feel.

Complete Answer (Informal)

"Hey Rohan. I'm not angry, I'm just really disappointed. I waited for you at the event for so long, and you never showed up or even called. This was really important to me, and I specifically told you how much it meant to have you there. I understand things come up, but I would have appreciated a quick text or something. You've done this a few times now, and it honestly hurts. I'm not trying to start a fight, but I needed to tell you how I feel. Can we talk about this properly? I just want to understand what happened."


Set 7: Giving Feedback

Formal: Student to Professor

Prompt: You attended a guest lecture and want to give positive feedback to your professor about the experience.

Complete Answer (Formal)

"Dear Professor Sharma, I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to express my sincere appreciation for the guest lecture you arranged for our Marketing class yesterday. Mr. Gupta's session on digital marketing strategies was incredibly insightful and practical. I particularly found his case study on social media campaigns to be highly relevant to our coursework. It was wonderful to have the opportunity to learn from an industry expert, and I truly believe that sessions like these significantly enhance our understanding of the subject. Thank you so much for organizing such a valuable learning experience for us. I hope we will have more opportunities like this in the future."

Informal: Friend to Friend

Prompt: Your friend made a terrible recipe for dinner. They ask for your honest opinion. Give gentle feedback.

Complete Answer (Informal)

"Okay, so here's the thing. I love that you cooked for me, and I really appreciate the effort you put into it. The idea was great, but I think maybe you used too much salt in the pasta. It was a little overpowering. And the chicken was a bit dry, but honestly, that happens to everyone when they're trying a new recipe. I'm not trying to be rude at all! I'm being honest because I know you want to get better at cooking. Maybe next time we could try a simpler recipe together, and I can show you how I do it. What do you think? Don't be offended, okay?"


Set 8: Making a Request

Formal: Employee to HR

Prompt: You need to request a change in your work schedule due to personal reasons. Write an email to the HR department.

Complete Answer (Formal)

"Dear Ms. Patel, I hope this email finds you well. I am writing to formally request a change to my current work schedule. As you are aware, I am currently working the morning shift from 8 AM to 4 PM. Due to unforeseen personal circumstances, I would like to request a transfer to the afternoon shift from 12 PM to 8 PM, effective the first of next month. I have discussed this matter with my team leader, and he has assured me that the team can accommodate this change. I understand the importance of my role and assure you that this change will not affect my productivity. Please let me know if you need any further information to process this request. I would be grateful for your positive consideration."

Informal: Friend to Friend

Prompt: You want to stay at your friend's place for a few days while your apartment is being painted. Call and ask them.

Complete Answer (Informal)

"Hey Tina! I have a huge favor to ask you. The painter is coming to redo my entire apartment, and they said I can't stay there for at least three days because of the fumes and the mess. I was wondering if I could crash at your place for a few nights? I promise I'll be super tidy and I'll even cook dinner for us both every night. I hate being a burden, so if it's not convenient at all, just tell me. I completely understand. But if you say yes, I'll be forever grateful! Let me know, and no pressure at all."


Set 9: Explaining a Mistake

Formal: Employee to Manager

Prompt: You accidentally sent an important email to the wrong client. Call your manager and explain the situation.

Complete Answer (Formal)

"Good morning, Ms. Sharma. I am calling to inform you about a mistake I made that I take full responsibility for. Earlier this morning, I was sending an email containing sensitive information to our client, ABC Corporation. However, due to a copying error, I accidentally sent it to another client on my list instead. I realized the error immediately and have taken steps to recall the email. I have also sent an apology email to the recipient explaining that it was sent in error. I sincerely apologize for this oversight, and I assure you that I will double-check all recipient addresses before sending any future emails. I am happy to discuss this further if needed. Thank you for your understanding."

Informal: Friend to Friend

Prompt: You accidentally told your friend's secret to someone else. Call them and confess.

Complete Answer (Informal)

"Hey Anjali! I need to tell you something, and I know you're going to be really upset with me. I'm so, so sorry, but I accidentally let your secret slip to Priya yesterday. I didn't mean to at all – it just came out in the conversation, and I felt terrible right after. I completely understand if you're angry with me. That was a huge mistake, and I should have been more careful. Is there anything I can do to make it up to you? I'm really sorry, and I promise I'll be way more careful with your secrets from now on."


Set 10: Giving Advice

Formal: Senior Colleague to Junior Colleague

Prompt: A new colleague is struggling to adjust to the fast-paced work environment. Offer them some professional advice.

Complete Answer (Formal)

"Good morning, Rajesh. I noticed you've been working quite late recently, and I understand that adjusting to our work pace can be challenging in the beginning. If I may offer some advice, I would suggest prioritizing your tasks by urgency and importance at the start of each day. I also find that breaking larger projects into smaller, manageable tasks helps reduce stress. Additionally, do not hesitate to ask questions or seek clarification when you are unsure. It is far better to ask than to make incorrect assumptions. We have a supportive team here, and everyone is willing to help. Please feel free to reach out to me anytime if you need guidance."

Informal: Friend to Friend

Prompt: Your friend is confused about whether to take a new job offer or stay in their current job. Give them your honest advice.

Complete Answer (Informal)

"Look, here's what I honestly think. You've been complaining about your current job for months, saying you're bored and underpaid. This new opportunity sounds like exactly what you've been wanting, right? More money, better role, and a chance to learn new skills. I know change is scary, but you're always telling me you want to grow. I say go for it! You can't keep playing it safe forever. But obviously, this is your decision. Think about what makes you happy in the long run, not just what's comfortable right now. Whatever you decide, I'll support you."


Set 11: Requesting Information

Formal: Student to University Administration

Prompt: You need information about the scholarship application process. Call the financial aid office.

Complete Answer (Formal)

"Good morning, this is Suresh Adhikari calling from the Department of Computer Science. I am a second-year student, and I am interested in applying for the Merit Scholarship for the upcoming academic year. I would like to request some information regarding the application process and eligibility criteria. Could you please advise me on the application deadline, required documents, and whether there is an interview component? I would also appreciate it if you could let me know if the scholarship covers full tuition fees or only a portion. I am available to visit the office in person if that would be helpful. Thank you very much for your assistance."

Informal: Friend to Friend

Prompt: You want to know about a new restaurant your friend visited last week. Ask them about it.

Complete Answer (Informal)

"Hey Vikram! I heard you went to that new Thai place last weekend. How was it? I've been thinking of taking my family there this weekend, but I wanted to know if it's actually good or just hyped up. Was the food authentic? What's their specialty? And how expensive is it? I really need a good recommendation because I can't afford to waste money on bad food right now. Let me know all the details! If you say it's good, I'll book a table for Sunday."


Set 12: Responding to an Accusation

Formal: Employee to Supervisor

Prompt: A supervisor has wrongly accused you of being late to work. Respond professionally and clarify the situation.

Complete Answer (Formal)

"Good afternoon, Mr. Kumar. I understand from your earlier comment that you believe I arrived late to work today. I wanted to respectfully clarify the situation. I arrived at the office at 8:55 AM, which is five minutes before the official start time. I can provide you with the time-stamped entry log from the security desk as proof, and I also have a witness who saw me at my desk before 9 AM. I value punctuality and take my attendance very seriously. If there is any confusion regarding my timekeeping, I would be happy to provide further documentation. I simply wanted to ensure that the record is accurate."

Informal: Friend to Friend

Prompt: Your friend accused you of gossiping about them behind their back. Respond and defend yourself.

Complete Answer (Informal)

"Whoa, hold on a minute! I can't believe you would think I would gossip about you. I have never, ever said anything bad about you to anyone. I don't know who told you that, but I promise you, it's not true. You're one of my closest friends, and I would never betray your trust like that. If someone is spreading rumors, that's on them, but it's definitely not coming from me. Can we talk about this face to face? I think you might have heard something completely wrong. I value our friendship way too much to do something like that."


Set 13: Proposing a New Idea

Formal: Employee to Manager

Prompt: You have an idea for improving office efficiency. Present it to your manager in a professional manner.

Complete Answer (Formal)

"Good morning, Mr. Sharma. I hope you are having a productive day. I have been thinking about our current project management system, and I would like to propose a new idea that could potentially improve our team's efficiency. I have noticed that we spend a significant amount of time on manual status updates. I suggest we implement a cloud-based project management tool like Asana or Trello. This would allow real-time tracking and reduce the need for lengthy status meetings. I have researched a few options and have prepared a brief presentation outlining the costs and benefits. Would you be open to me presenting this idea during our next team meeting? I am confident it could save us considerable time and effort."

Informal: Friend to Friend

Prompt: You have an idea for a new business venture and want your friend to join you. Present your idea to them.

Complete Answer (Informal)

"Hey, I've been thinking about something, and I want your honest opinion. I want to start a small food delivery business focusing on healthy home-cooked meals. I know it's a competitive market, but I think there's a gap for really good, affordable healthy options. I need someone to help me with the marketing and delivery side of things, and I immediately thought of you. What do you think? I think we could actually make it work. We could start small and see how it goes. Are you in? Think about it and let me know."


Set 14: Expressing Gratitude

Formal: Employee to HR

Prompt: You received a promotion and want to thank the HR department and your manager for their support.

Complete Answer (Formal)

"Dear Mr. Sharma and Ms. Patel, I am writing to express my deepest gratitude for your support in my recent promotion to Senior Analyst. This opportunity means a great deal to me, and I am genuinely appreciative of the trust and confidence you have placed in me. I want to thank you for the guidance and encouragement you have provided throughout my time here. I am committed to working hard and contributing even more to the success of our organization. Please know that I value the recognition and will continue to strive for excellence in my new role. I am grateful to be a part of such a supportive team."

Informal: Friend to Friend

Prompt: Your friend helped you through a difficult time, and you want to thank them properly.

Complete Answer (Informal)

"Hey, I just want to say thank you from the bottom of my heart. I honestly don't know what I would have done without you these past few weeks. You were there for me when I was at my lowest, and you never once made me feel like a burden. You stayed up late with me, listened to me cry, and gave me the best advice. I'm so lucky to have you as a friend. Words can't really express how grateful I am. I owe you one, big time. Seriously, if you ever need anything, I'm here for you. Thank you so much."


Set 15: Rescheduling a Meeting

Formal: Manager to Client

Prompt: You need to reschedule an important meeting with a client due to an unexpected conflict. Call the client and apologize.

Complete Answer (Formal)

"Good afternoon, Mr. Patel. This is Ramesh Kumar from ABC Consulting. I hope I am not interrupting your day. I am calling to apologize, but I need to request a reschedule for our meeting scheduled for tomorrow at 10 AM. Unfortunately, an unexpected urgent matter has arisen at my office that requires my immediate attention, and I will not be available tomorrow. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Would it be possible to reschedule our meeting for the day after tomorrow at the same time, or another time that is more convenient for you? Please let me know your availability, and I will make sure our new meeting time works perfectly for your schedule. Thank you for your understanding."

Informal: Friend to Friend

Prompt: You need to cancel your dinner plans with a friend at the last minute. Call them and explain.

Complete Answer (Informal)

"Hey, I'm really sorry to do this to you last minute, but something has come up and I have to cancel our dinner plans tonight. My boss just called and told me to come in for a last-minute meeting. I'm so annoyed about it, and I feel awful for canceling on you. Can we reschedule for tomorrow or Friday instead? Dinner on me this time! I really was looking forward to it, but there's nothing I can do about this. Let me know what works for you, and I promise I won't cancel again."


Summary Table: Formal vs. Informal Language

Aspect

Formal

Informal

Greeting

"Dear Sir/Madam," "Good morning,"

"Hey," "Hi," "Hello,"

Tone

Professional, respectful, polite

Friendly, warm, casual

Vocabulary

Precise, advanced

Simple, conversational

Contractions

Avoid (do not, cannot)

Use (don't, can't, won't)

Phrases

"I would like to request..."

"I was wondering if..."

Closing

"Yours sincerely," "I look forward..."

"Thanks," "Talk soon," "Cheers"

Address

"Mr./Ms./Professor/Dr."

First name, nickname, "bro," "dude"

Structure

Complete sentences, detailed

Shorter sentences, more direct

 

Set 16: Asking for Permission

Formal: Employee to Manager

Prompt: You need to leave work early for three consecutive days next week to pick up your child from school. Request permission from your manager.

Complete Answer (Formal)

"Good morning, Mr. Sharma. I hope you are well. I am writing to formally request permission to leave the office early next week on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday at 3:00 PM instead of my usual 5:00 PM departure time. My child's school has changed their dismissal schedule temporarily, and I am the only one available to pick them up. I understand that this is a deviation from my regular schedule, and I want to assure you that I will complete all my daily tasks before leaving. I am also willing to come in earlier or work from home in the evenings to make up for any missed hours. I would be very grateful for your approval of this temporary arrangement. Please let me know if you have any concerns or require further information."

Informal: Friend to Friend

Prompt: You want to borrow your friend's car for a day to run some errands. Ask them for permission.

Complete Answer (Informal)

"Hey! I have a huge favor to ask you. I need to run a bunch of errands tomorrow, and my car is in the shop. I was wondering if I could borrow your car for just one day? I promise I'll be super careful with it and fill up the tank before I return it. I know you're always protective of your car, and I totally understand if you say no. But I thought I'd ask just in case. Let me know what you think. I'll even wash it for you as a thank you!"


Set 17: Responding to a Complaint

Formal: Customer Service Representative to Customer

Prompt: A customer is complaining about a late delivery. Respond professionally and offer a solution.

Complete Answer (Formal)

"Good afternoon, Mr. Gupta. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. I sincerely apologize for the delay in delivering your order. I completely understand your frustration, and I assure you that we take this matter very seriously. After checking our records, I can see that your order was shipped on time, but unfortunately, it seems to have been held up at the courier's warehouse due to a logistical error. I have personally contacted the courier company and have escalated the issue to ensure that your package is delivered by tomorrow morning at the latest. As a gesture of our apology, I have also applied a 15% discount to your next order. Please let me know if this resolution is acceptable to you, or if there is anything else I can do to assist you."

Informal: Friend to Friend

Prompt: Your friend is complaining that you never have time to hang out anymore. Respond to their complaint.

Complete Answer (Informal)

"I know, I know. I've been a terrible friend lately. I'm really sorry that I haven't made time to hang out. Work has been absolutely insane, and I'm honestly struggling to keep up. But that's not an excuse, and I understand why you're upset. You're right. I have been cancelling plans, and that's not fair to you. I promise I'll make it up to you. How about we plan something for this weekend, just the two of us? I'll clear my whole schedule. Please don't think I'm avoiding you on purpose. I value our friendship so much."


Set 18: Introducing Yourself

Formal: New Employee to Team

Prompt: You are a new employee on your first day. Introduce yourself to your team in a professional manner.

Complete Answer (Formal)

"Good morning, everyone. It is a pleasure to meet you all. My name is Anjali Rana, and I am joining the Finance Department as the new Senior Accountant. I come with seven years of experience in corporate accounting, and I am genuinely excited to be part of this organization. I am eager to collaborate with each of you, learn from your expertise, and contribute positively to our team's goals. I understand that every team has its own dynamics, and I am committed to adapting quickly and being a supportive colleague. Please feel free to approach me anytime if you have questions or if there is anything you would like me to assist with. I look forward to working with all of you and building strong professional relationships."

Informal: Friend Introducing a New Friend

Prompt: You are introducing your best friend to another group of friends. Do it casually.

Complete Answer (Informal)

"Hey everyone! I want you all to meet my best friend, Rohan. He's the guy I'm always talking about. Rohan, these are my friends from college. I've known this guy since we were kids, and I promise you, he's one of the funniest and most loyal people you'll ever meet. He's a total foodie, and he's also really into music, so I'm sure you'll have a lot to talk about. Rohan, don't be shy – these guys are super chill. You're gonna fit right in. Welcome to the crew!"


Set 19: Declining a Request

Formal: Manager to Employee

Prompt: An employee has requested a salary advance, but company policy does not allow it. Respond professionally.

Complete Answer (Formal)

"Dear Mr. Thapa, thank you for your request for a salary advance. I understand that financial situations can sometimes be challenging, and I appreciate you bringing this to my attention. After reviewing our company policy, I regret to inform you that we are unable to approve salary advances at this time. This is a standard policy that applies to all employees, and it is not something I have the authority to override. However, I would encourage you to speak with the HR department to discuss any other support options that may be available to you, such as a payroll deduction plan or guidance on financial resources. I am sorry that I cannot be more helpful in this instance. Please let me know if you would like me to facilitate a meeting with HR for you."

Informal: Friend to Friend

Prompt: Your friend wants to borrow a large sum of money, but you cannot lend it to them. Respond honestly.

Complete Answer (Informal)

"Look, I really wish I could help you out with the money, but I honestly just don't have that kind of cash right now. I'm in a tight spot myself, and I've got my own bills to pay at the moment. I'm not saying that to make you feel bad – I just don't want to promise something I can't deliver. I feel really bad saying no because I know you're in a difficult situation. Is there anything else I can do to help? Maybe I can help you find a small loan or something? I'm here for you, even if I can't lend you the money directly."


Set 20: Giving Instructions

Formal: Supervisor to Team

Prompt: You are assigning tasks for a new project to your team. Give clear professional instructions.

Complete Answer (Formal)

"Good morning, team. I hope everyone is having a productive week. I would like to brief you on the tasks for our upcoming project, which officially begins on Monday. I am assigning each of you specific responsibilities based on your expertise. Rajesh, you will be responsible for data collection and preliminary analysis. Anita, I need you to handle the client communications and prepare the presentation materials. Sunita, you will oversee the quality control and timeline management. I expect the first round of deliverables to be completed by Wednesday. Please ensure that you submit your progress reports to me by the end of each day. If you have any questions or need clarification regarding your specific tasks, please do not hesitate to approach me. I appreciate your dedication and look forward to a successful collaboration."

Informal: Friend to Friend

Prompt: You are giving your friend detailed instructions on how to get to your new apartment.

Complete Answer (Informal)

"Okay, so here's exactly how to get to my new place. Take the metro to the Central Station, and when you come out, walk straight for about two minutes until you see a big blue building on your left. Turn left there and go to the third building on the right. It's called Royal Residency. My apartment is on the 5th floor, number 502. If you get confused, just call me, and I'll come down and get you. Don't worry if you're a little late – I'll be around. Let me know when you leave!"


Set 21: Responding to Criticism

Formal: Employee to Manager

Prompt: Your manager has given you critical feedback on your recent presentation. Respond professionally and show willingness to improve.

Complete Answer (Formal)

"Thank you, Mr. Sharma, for taking the time to share your feedback with me. I genuinely appreciate your honesty and the constructive criticism regarding my presentation. I understand that my data analysis section was not as thorough as it should have been, and I agree that the visual aids could have been clearer. I take your feedback seriously, and I am committed to improving in these areas. I have already begun working on a revised version of the presentation, and I would be grateful if you could review it again once I am done. I am also planning to take an online course on data visualization to enhance my skills in this area. I value your guidance and look forward to delivering a much stronger presentation next time."

Informal: Friend to Friend

Prompt: Your friend criticized your cooking in front of everyone. Respond to them privately.

Complete Answer (Informal)

"Hey, I need to talk to you about what happened earlier. I was a bit hurt by what you said about my cooking in front of everyone. I know you were just being honest, and maybe you didn't mean anything by it, but it was a little embarrassing for me. I spent hours preparing that meal, and it would have been nice to hear some kind of support. Next time, could you maybe give me feedback privately? I'm open to suggestions, but it just stings a little when it's in front of other people. I'm not angry, just letting you know how I felt."


Set 22: Making a Suggestion

Formal: Junior Employee to Manager

Prompt: You have noticed that the office recycling system is inefficient. Suggest an improvement to your manager.

Complete Answer (Formal)

"Good morning, Ms. Verma. I hope you are having a pleasant day. I wanted to bring something to your attention that I believe could benefit our office. I have noticed that our current recycling system is being underutilized, and many recyclable items are ending up in general waste. I would like to suggest implementing separate bins for paper, plastic, and glass, along with clear signage explaining what can be recycled. I believe this small change could significantly reduce our environmental footprint. I am happy to take the initiative to coordinate the setup and create educational materials for the team. Would you be open to me presenting a detailed proposal on this at our next staff meeting? I am confident that this could be a valuable addition to our office practices."

Informal: Friend to Friend

Prompt: Your friend is planning a vacation, and you suggest a destination they haven't considered.

Complete Answer (Informal)

"Hey! I heard you're planning a vacation next month. I have a suggestion for you. Have you ever thought about going to Pokhara? I know you were considering going to the beach somewhere, but honestly, the lakeside in Pokhara is incredible. It's peaceful, the views are breathtaking, and there's so much to do. Plus, it's way more budget-friendly than going abroad. I went there last year and absolutely loved it. Trust me, you won't regret it. Let me know if you want me to send you some recommendations."


Set 23: Confirming Information

Formal: Employee to Client

Prompt: Confirm the details of an upcoming meeting with a client via phone.

Complete Answer (Formal)

"Good afternoon, Mr. Desai. This is Priya calling from ABC Solutions. I am calling to confirm the details of our meeting scheduled for next Tuesday at 10:00 AM. I just wanted to confirm that the location is our head office on the 10th floor, and I also wanted to confirm that you will be bringing the project documents for our review. I have reserved the boardroom, and we will have refreshments prepared for you. If there are any changes to your schedule or if you need to reschedule, please let me know as soon as possible. I have also sent a confirmation email with the details for your reference. Thank you, and I look forward to meeting with you."

Informal: Friend to Friend

Prompt: Confirm the details of your weekend plans with a friend.

Complete Answer (Informal)

"Hey, just confirming the plans for Saturday. We're still on for 11 AM, right? I'll pick you up at your place, and then we can drive to the mall together. Don't forget to bring your gym bag because we said we'd hit the gym before shopping. Also, are we eating there or coming back for lunch? Just let me know. I'll text you before I leave so you're ready. See you then!"


Set 24: Apologizing for a Mistake

Formal: Employee to Client

Prompt: You made an error in a client's invoice and need to apologize. Call the client and explain.

Complete Answer (Formal)

"Good morning, Mr. Khanna. This is Suresh from Finance at Global Services. I am calling to sincerely apologize for an error in the invoice we sent you last week. Upon review, we discovered that the amount charged was incorrect due to a clerical oversight on our part. I take full responsibility for this mistake, and I am deeply sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you. I have already corrected the invoice, and I am emailing the revised version to you right now. The correct amount is 10% less than what was originally charged. I assure you that we have implemented additional checks to ensure this does not happen again. Please accept our apologies, and do not hesitate to contact me if you have any further concerns."

Informal: Friend to Friend

Prompt: You accidentally broke your friend's favorite mug. Apologize to them.

Complete Answer (Informal)

"Hey, I need to tell you something, and I feel absolutely terrible about it. I accidentally knocked your favorite mug off the counter this morning, and it broke. I know how much that mug meant to you – you got it from your grandmother. I'm so, so sorry. I feel so stupid for being careless. I promise I'll try to find a replacement, even if it's not the exact same one. I know that won't make up for it, but I want to at least try. Please forgive me – it was a complete accident."


Set 25: Encouraging Someone

Formal: Manager to Employee

Prompt: An employee on your team is feeling discouraged about their performance. Encourage them professionally.

Complete Answer (Formal)

"Good afternoon, Raj. I wanted to have a brief word with you about the recent project. I know you have been feeling disappointed about the outcome of the presentation, and I understand how that can be disheartening. However, I want you to know that I have seen significant growth in your work over the past few months. Everyone makes mistakes, and the key is to learn from them and keep moving forward. I have full confidence in your abilities, and I believe you have the potential to deliver excellent work. This is simply a stepping stone in your career journey. If you need any additional support or training, I am here to help. Keep your head up, and continue doing your best. I am proud of your dedication."

Informal: Friend to Friend

Prompt: Your friend is feeling down after a breakup. Encourage them and cheer them up.

Complete Answer (Informal)

"Hey, I know you're going through a really tough time right now, and I just want you to know that I'm here for you. Breakups are awful, and it's okay to feel sad. But listen to me – you are an amazing person, and this is not the end of the world. You deserve someone who truly appreciates you, and clearly that person wasn't the right one. Give yourself some time to heal, and in the meantime, I'm going to be by your side. Let's go out, have some fun, eat junk food, and just forget about everything for a while. You're going to get through this, and you'll come out even stronger. I believe in you!"


Set 26: Responding to an Emergency

Formal: Employee to Emergency Services

Prompt: There is a minor fire in your office building. Call emergency services and provide information.

Complete Answer (Formal)

"Hello, I am calling to report a fire emergency. My name is Vikram Singh, and I am calling from Global Business Park in Block C, on the fifth floor. We have a small fire in the storage room caused by an electrical short circuit. The fire is currently contained, but it is producing a significant amount of smoke. All employees are evacuating calmly according to our fire safety procedures. The building address is 15, Commercial Street, opposite the City Mall. The closest landmark is the central metro station. We need the fire department to arrive as soon as possible. Please send help immediately."

Informal: Friend to Friend

Prompt: Your friend has locked themselves out of their apartment late at night. Respond to their call for help.

Complete Answer (Informal)

"Wait, you locked yourself out? Oh no, that's really bad. Okay, don't panic. First of all, are you safe? Do you have your phone with you? Okay, good. Is there anyone else in your building who might have a spare key? If not, I can come over and bring you the spare key I have from that time you asked me to water your plants. It'll take me about thirty minutes to get there though. In the meantime, go downstairs and wait in the lobby – it's warmer there. I'm on my way. Don't worry, I'll get you in!"


Set 27: Giving a Recommendation

Formal: Colleague to Colleague

Prompt: Recommend a training course to a colleague who wants to improve their skills.

Complete Answer (Formal)

"Good afternoon, Rina. I heard you are looking to enhance your project management skills. I would like to recommend the Certified Project Management Professional course offered by the National Institute of Management. I completed this course myself last year, and I found it to be extremely comprehensive and practical. The instructors are highly experienced, and the curriculum covers everything from risk management to stakeholder communication. Additionally, the certification is widely recognized and can significantly boost your career prospects. I have attached the course details and a link to their website in an email for your reference. Please feel free to ask me any questions if you decide to pursue it. I would be happy to share my experience with you in more detail."

Informal: Friend to Friend

Prompt: Recommend a good restaurant to a friend who is visiting your city.

Complete Answer (Informal)

"Oh, you're coming to visit? You have to try this amazing place called 'The Spice Route' in Thamel. They serve the best Nepali food I've ever had. Their dal bhat is incredible, and the momos are to die for. The atmosphere is really cozy too – perfect for a relaxing dinner. It's a little bit pricey, but it's totally worth it. Make sure you go during the evening because they have live music sometimes. Trust me on this one. You're going to love it!"


Set 28: Handling a Difficult Customer

Formal: Customer Service Representative to Customer

Prompt: A customer is angry about a billing error. Calm them down and resolve the issue.

Complete Answer (Formal)

"Good afternoon, Sir. I completely understand your frustration, and I sincerely apologize for the billing error that has occurred on your account. I know how upsetting it can be to see an incorrect charge on your bill. Please allow me a moment to review your account details. I can see that there has been a system error that caused an overcharge. I have corrected the error, and I have already initiated a full refund for the overcharged amount, which should reflect in your account within the next 24 hours. Additionally, I will send you a confirmation email with all the details. I assure you that this will not happen again. Is there anything else I can assist you with today? Thank you for your patience and understanding."

Informal: Friend to Friend

Prompt: Your friend is complaining loudly in a shop about bad service. Calm them down.

Complete Answer (Informal)

"Hey, hey, take a breath. I know you're angry, and I get it – the service has been terrible. But making a scene is not going to make them work any faster. Let's just ask for the manager politely and explain the situation. If they don't help us, we can take our business somewhere else and leave a review later. No point getting so stressed about this. Let me handle it, okay? Just chill for a minute."


Set 29: Accepting Responsibility

Formal: Employee to Manager

Prompt: A project you were leading has failed to meet its targets. Accept responsibility and propose a solution.

Complete Answer (Formal)

"Mr. Sharma, I want to be completely transparent with you. I take full responsibility for the project's failure to meet its targets. I underestimated the time required for the initial research phase, which subsequently caused delays throughout the entire project timeline. I acknowledge that I should have escalated the issue earlier and requested additional resources. I am currently preparing a detailed report analyzing what went wrong, and I have already begun working on a recovery plan. In the future, I will ensure that I build more realistic timelines and communicate proactively with you about any challenges. I am committed to learning from this experience and ensuring that it does not happen again. Please let me know if you would like to review my recovery plan before I proceed."

Informal: Friend to Friend

Prompt: You were supposed to organize a group outing but forgot. Accept responsibility and apologize.

Complete Answer (Informal)

"I'm going to be honest with you – this one is completely my fault. I was supposed to book the venue for the group outing, and I just completely forgot. I have absolutely no excuse. I feel terrible because I let everyone down, and I know you were all counting on me. I'm sorry. Can I make it up to you? I'll handle everything from now. I'll call the venue right now and see if we can still book it for next week. I promise I won't let this happen again."


Set 30: Requesting Clarification

Formal: Employee to Manager

Prompt: Your manager's instructions on a new task were unclear. Request clarification professionally.

Complete Answer (Formal)

"Good morning, Mr. Sharma. I was reviewing the project instructions you sent me, and I had a quick question for clarification. I understand the overall scope of the task, but I am not entirely clear about the deadline for the first deliverable. Did you mention that it should be completed by Friday, or did you mean Monday? Also, I would appreciate it if you could clarify whether you want the report in a detailed format or a summary format. I want to ensure that I deliver exactly what you are expecting. Thank you for your guidance."

Informal: Friend to Friend

Prompt: Your friend's text about meeting at the movie theatre was confusing. Call them for clarification.

Complete Answer (Informal)

"Hey, I got your text about the movie tonight, but I wasn't completely sure what you meant. Did you say you wanted to meet at 7 PM at the theatre, or do you want me to pick you up first? And are we watching the 8 PM show or the 9 PM show? I'm a bit confused, so just let me know clearly. I don't want to get it wrong and miss the movie or keep you waiting."


Set 31: Handling a Delicate Situation

Formal: Employee to Colleague

Prompt: A colleague has been making inappropriate jokes in the office. Address it professionally and respectfully.

Complete Answer (Formal)

"Good afternoon. I hope you are having a good day. I wanted to have a private word with you about something that has been on my mind. I have noticed that some of the jokes you have made in the office recently have made me feel uncomfortable, and I suspect others may feel the same way. I know you likely do not mean any harm, and I am not accusing you of anything, but I wanted to bring it to your attention in a respectful manner. We all strive to maintain a professional and inclusive environment here. I would appreciate it if you could be more mindful of your choice of words in the future. Thank you for understanding."

Informal: Friend to Friend

Prompt: Your friend keeps bringing up a past mistake you made in front of others. Address it.

Complete Answer (Informal)

"Hey, can we talk about something that's been bothering me? I've noticed that you keep bringing up that embarrassing thing that happened to me last year whenever we're with friends. I know you think it's funny, but honestly, it makes me feel really uncomfortable every time you do it. I'm not trying to be dramatic, but I would appreciate it if you could stop mentioning it. It's in the past, and I don't want to be reminded of it constantly. I hope you understand."


Set 32: Making a Counter-Offer

Formal: Job Applicant to HR

Prompt: You have received a job offer, but the salary is lower than expected. Make a professional counter-offer.

Complete Answer (Formal)

"Dear Ms. Gupta, thank you so much for offering me the position of Senior Marketing Executive at your esteemed organization. I am extremely excited about the opportunity and the potential to contribute to your team. After careful consideration of the offer, I would like to respectfully request a discussion regarding the proposed salary. Based on my industry research and my 5 years of experience, I was expecting a base salary of 80,000 per month. The offered package is 70,000 per month. I am confident that my skills and experience align perfectly with what you are looking for. I would be grateful if you could consider my request. I am open to further discussion and willing to negotiate other aspects of the package as well. Thank you for your understanding and consideration."

Informal: Friend to Friend

Prompt: Your friend wants you to accompany them on a trip, but you would prefer a different location. Make a counter-suggestion.

Complete Answer (Informal)

"Hey, I was thinking about the trip you suggested. I'm not sure about going to the beach because it's going to be super crowded this time of year. I was thinking maybe we could go to the mountains instead? It'll be cooler, peaceful, and we can actually relax. I know you wanted the beach, but I feel like the mountains would be a better experience for both of us. What do you think? We could always do a beach trip next time."


Set 33: Responding to Good News

Formal: Colleague to Colleague

Prompt: A colleague has just told you they received a prestigious award. Congratulate them professionally.

Complete Answer (Formal)

"Congratulations! I heard the wonderful news that you received the Excellence in Innovation Award. That is truly remarkable, and you absolutely deserve it. Your dedication, creativity, and hard work on the recent project were exceptional, and it is fantastic to see your efforts recognized at this level. I have always admired your ability to think outside the box and deliver outstanding results. This achievement is a testament to your talent and commitment. I wish you continued success, and I look forward to seeing what you accomplish next. Please let me know if you would like to celebrate with the team – we would all be delighted to honor your success."

Informal: Friend to Friend

Prompt: Your friend just announced they are getting engaged. Respond with excitement.

Complete Answer (Informal)

"Oh my gosh! Are you serious?! That is absolutely amazing! I'm so, so happy for you! I knew you two were perfect together. Congratulations! I can't believe you're getting married! We have to celebrate as soon as possible – I'm thinking a huge party. Tell me everything – when did this happen? How did they propose? I need all the details right now!"


Set 34: Responding to Bad News

Formal: Colleague to Colleague

Prompt: A colleague has told you that their family member is seriously ill. Respond with empathy.

Complete Answer (Formal)

"Good morning. I am so sorry to hear about your family member's illness. I cannot imagine how difficult this must be for you and your family. Please know that you have my full support during this challenging time. If you need to take time off or need any adjustments to your workload, please do not hesitate to let me know. I will do everything I can to assist you and ensure that your responsibilities are covered. Take whatever time you need for your family. Please do not worry about work. My thoughts are with you and your loved ones."

Informal: Friend to Friend

Prompt: Your friend has just told you they lost their job. Respond with support.

Complete Answer (Informal)

"Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that. That's really tough. How are you holding up? I know this must be a huge shock right now. I'm here for you, and we're going to get through this together. Don't panic about the financial stuff – we'll figure it out. I can help you update your resume and start looking for new opportunities. You're so talented, and I know you'll find something even better. In the meantime, do you want to go grab a coffee and talk? I'm here for you, always."


Set 35: Proposing a Solution

Formal: Employee to Manager

Prompt: A client has raised a serious concern about your company's product. Propose a solution to your manager.

Complete Answer (Formal)

"Good morning, Mr. Patel. I have been in contact with our client, ABC Corporation, regarding their recent complaint about our software's performance. I have analyzed the issue, and I believe I have identified the root cause – a compatibility issue with their operating system. To resolve this, I propose that we assign two developers to work on a patch that would address this compatibility issue within the next three business days. I also suggest that we offer the client a complimentary month of service as a goodwill gesture for the inconvenience they have experienced. I am confident that this approach will resolve the issue and maintain our positive relationship with the client. Would you like me to proceed with this plan, or would you prefer to discuss this further?"

Informal: Friend to Friend

Prompt: You and your friend are having a conflict about where to live. Propose a compromise.

Complete Answer (Informal)

"Okay, I've been thinking about our whole living situation conflict. I know you want to live near the city center, and I wanted the quieter suburbs. How about we find a place that's somewhere in the middle – maybe an area that's close to a metro station so it's still convenient but not too loud and crazy? That way, you can get to work easily, and I can get my peace and quiet. I think that's a fair compromise that works for both of us. Let's look for places in that area. What do you think?"

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

PTE Academic Respond to a Situation

  PTE Academic  Respond to a Situation The "Respond to a Situation" task is a new addition to the PTE Academic exam, designed to a...