Tuesday, 1 September 2026

Comprehensive English Vocabulary: Simple to Advanced

Comprehensive English Vocabulary: Simple to Advanced

A comprehensive list of English vocabulary words ranging from simple (basic) to advanced, with their Nepali meanings and example sentences in everyday contexts.

To make it practical, I have categorized them by common situations you encounter daily.


Situation 1: At Home / Daily Routine

Simple

Intermediate

Advanced

Nepali Meaning

Example Sentence (Everyday Context)

Tired

Exhausted

Drained

थकित (Thakit)

Simple: I am tired after work.
Advanced: After cleaning the whole house, I feel completely drained.

Clean

Tidy

Immaculate

सफा (Sapha)

Simple: Please keep your room clean.
Advanced: Her kitchen is always immaculate; there isn't a single spot of dust.

Eat

Consume

Devour

खानु (Khanu)

Simple: I eat breakfast at 7 AM.
Advanced: The kids were so hungry they devoured the pizza in five minutes.

Sleep

Nap

Slumber

सुत्नु (Sutnu)

Simple: The baby sleeps for eight hours.
Advanced: I fell into a deep slumber as soon as I lay on the couch.

Help

Assist

Facilitate

मद्दत गर्नु (Maddat Garnu)

Simple: Can you help me carry this bag?
Advanced: The new app facilitates communication between all the family members.


Situation 2: At Work / Office / Study

Simple

Intermediate

Advanced

Nepali Meaning

Example Sentence (Everyday Context)

Start

Begin

Commence

सुरु गर्नु (Suru Garnu)

Simple: Let's start the meeting now.
Advanced: The presentation will commence as soon as the manager arrives.

Understand

Comprehend

Grasp

बुझ्नु (Bujhnu)

Simple: I don't understand this math problem.
Advanced: It took me a while to grasp the new software update.

Need

Require

Necessitate

आवश्यक (Aavashyak)

Simple: This project needs more time.
Advanced: Completing this report will necessitate working late tonight.

Answer

Reply

Respond

जवाफ दिनु (Jawaph Din u)

Simple: Please answer my question.
Advanced: She hasn't responded to my email from yesterday.

Change

Modify

Amend

परिवर्तन गर्नु (Parivartan Garnu)

Simple: I need to change my schedule.
Advanced: We had to amend the contract to include the new rules.

Idea

Concept

Notion

विचार (Bichar)

Simple: I have a good idea for the party.
Advanced: His notion about work-life balance is very modern.


Situation 3: At a Restaurant or Shopping

Simple

Intermediate

Advanced

Nepali Meaning

Example Sentence (Everyday Context)

Good

Excellent

Exquisite

राम्रो (Ramro)

Simple: The food is good here.
Advanced: The presentation of the dessert was absolutely exquisite.

Price

Cost

Expenditure

मूल्य (Mulya)

Simple: The price of this shirt is high.
Advanced: I need to keep track of my daily expenditure to save money.

Ask

Request

Inquire

सोध्नु (Sodhnu)

Simple: I asked for the menu.
Advanced: I would like to inquire about the availability of a table for two.

Choose

Select

Opt for

छान्नु (Channu)

Simple: I chose the chicken dish.
Advanced: I decided to opt for the vegetarian option today.

Angry

Annoyed

Frustrated

रिसाएको (Risaeko)

Simple: I am angry because the order is late.
Advanced: I feel frustrated when the service is this slow.


Situation 4: Socializing / Talking to Friends

Simple

Intermediate

Advanced

Nepali Meaning

Example Sentence (Everyday Context)

Happy

Cheerful

Ecstatic

खुशी (Khushi)

Simple: I am happy to see you.
Advanced: I was ecstatic when I heard the good news about the promotion.

Sad

Upset

Melancholy

दुखी (Dukhi)

Simple: He feels sad today.
Advanced: There is a sense of melancholy in the air as summer ends.

Talk

Chat

Converse

कुरा गर्नु (Kura Garnu)

Simple: We talk on the phone daily.
Advanced: We conversed for hours about our future plans.

Look at

Watch

Observe

हेर्नु (Hernu)

Simple: Look at that beautiful sunset!
Advanced: I like to sit in the park and observe the people passing by.

Funny

Humorous

Hilarious

हाँसो उठ्ने (Haaso Uthne)

Simple: He told a funny joke.
Advanced: The movie was so hilarious that I couldn't stop laughing.

Sad

Gloomy

Despondent

उदास (Udas)

Simple: She looks sad today.
Advanced: He felt despondent after failing the driving test for the third time.


Situation 5: Traveling / Commuting

Simple

Intermediate

Advanced

Nepali Meaning

Example Sentence (Everyday Context)

Stop

Halt

Cease

रोक्नु (Roknu)

Simple: The bus stopped at the corner.
Advanced: The heavy rain caused traffic to cease moving entirely.

Crowded

Busy

Congested

भीडभाड (Bhidbhad)

Simple: The train is very crowded in the morning.
Advanced: The main road is highly congested during rush hour.

Go

Move

Proceed

जानु (Janu)

Simple: Go straight for two blocks.
Advanced: Please proceed to the boarding gate immediately.

Tell

Inform

Notify

भन्नु (Bhannu)

Simple: Tell me when the bus arrives.
Advanced: The airline will notify you if the flight is delayed.

Big

Large

Spacious

ठुलो (Thulo)

Simple: This is a big airport.
Advanced: The new bus is very spacious and comfortable.


Situation 6: Describing Feelings / Health

Simple

Intermediate

Advanced

Nepali Meaning

Example Sentence (Everyday Context)

Sick

Ill

Ailing

बिरामी (Birami)

Simple: I feel sick today.
Advanced: My grandmother is ailing and needs to see a doctor.

Thirsty

Parched

Dehydrated

तिर्खाएको (Tirkhaeko)

Simple: I am thirsty after the walk.
Advanced: Remember to drink water so you don't get dehydrated.

Scared

Frightened

Apprehensive

डराएको (Daraeko)

Simple: I am scared of the dark.
Advanced: I feel apprehensive about starting my new job tomorrow.

Surprised

Amazed

Astonished

आश्चर्यचकित (Ashcharyachakit)

Simple: I was surprised by the gift.
Advanced: I was astonished by how much the city had changed.

Bored

Uninterested

Monotonous

बोर (Bor)

Simple: This movie is boring.
Advanced: The daily routine is so monotonous that I need a vacation.

 

10 Sets of English Vocabulary: Basic to Advanced

Each set contains 10 words (ranging from Basic to Advanced) with Nepali meanings and everyday example sentences.

I have included the specific categories: Shopping, Travelling, City, Village, Office, Connectives (linking words), Compound Words, Complex/Abstract Words, Education/Study, and Technology/Digital Life.


Set 1: Shopping (किनमेल)

Basic

Intermediate

Advanced

Nepali Meaning

Example Sentence

1. Buy

Purchase

Procure

किन्नु (Kinnu)

Basic: I need to buy milk.
Advanced: The company needs to procure new raw materials for production.

2. Cheap

Affordable

Economical

सस्तो (Sasto)

Basic: This shirt is cheap.
Advanced: Buying in bulk is more economical for families.

3. Expensive

Costly

Exorbitant

महँगो (Mahango)

Basic: This watch is expensive.
Advanced: The rent in this area is exorbitant.

4. Want

Desire

Crave

चाहना (Chahana)

Basic: I want a new phone.
Advanced: I crave a cup of coffee from that new café.

5. Look

Browse

Scour

हेर्नु (Hernu)

Basic: I am looking at the clothes.
Advanced: I had to scour three malls to find this dress.

6. Return

Exchange

Reimburse

फिर्ता गर्नु (Phirta Garnu)

Basic: I want to return this gift.
Advanced: The store will reimburse you if you have the receipt.

7. Try

Test

Sample

प्रयास गर्नु (Prayas Garnu)

Basic: Try this perfume.
Advanced: The shop lets you sample the cheese before buying it.

8. Value

Worth

Appraisal

मूल्य (Mulya)

Basic: This bag is good value.
Advanced: Get an appraisal of that jewelry before selling it.

9. Fake

Artificial

Counterfeit

नक्कली (Nakkali)

Basic: This bag looks fake.
Advanced: Beware of counterfeit products sold online.

10. Bill

Invoice

Receipt

बिल (Bill)

Basic: Please give me the bill.
Advanced: Keep the receipt in case you need to replace the item.


Set 2: Travelling (यात्रा)

Basic

Intermediate

Advanced

Nepali Meaning

Example Sentence

1. Trip

Journey

Expedition

यात्रा (Yatra)

Basic: We are going on a trip to Pokhara.
Advanced: Their expedition to the Himalayas took three weeks.

2. Book

Reserve

Allocate

बुक गर्नु (Book Garnu)

Basic: I will book a hotel.
Advanced: The airline will allocate seats during check-in.

3. Luggage

Baggage

Belongings

सामान (Saman)

Basic: My luggage is heavy.
Advanced: Please keep your belongings close to you at the station.

4. Delay

Postpone

Procrastinate

ढिलाइ (Dhilai)

Basic: The flight is delayed.
Advanced: Do not procrastinate booking your tickets during Dashain.

5. Sight

View

Panorama

दृश्य (Drishya)

Basic: The sight is beautiful.
Advanced: We stopped to admire the panorama of the Annapurna range.

6. Walk

Stroll

Amble

हिड्नु (Hidnu)

Basic: We walked around the lake.
Advanced: We ambled through the old city streets to explore.

7. Plan

Organize

Orchestrate

योजना (Yojana)

Basic: Plan your route well.
Advanced: She orchestrated the entire trip perfectly.

8. Leave

Depart

Embark

छोड्नु (Chodnu)

Basic: We leave at 6 AM.
Advanced: We will embark on our journey at sunrise.

9. Busy

Hustling

Bustling

व्यस्त (Byasta)

Basic: The bus park is busy.
Advanced: Thamel is a bustling area full of tourists.

10. Stop

Halt

Cease

रोकिनु (Rokin u)

Basic: The bus stopped suddenly.
Advanced: The traffic ceased to move due to the landslide.


Set 3: City Life (सहर)

Basic

Intermediate

Advanced

Nepali Meaning

Example Sentence

1. City

Metropolis

Municipality

सहर (Sahar)

Basic: Kathmandu is a big city.
Advanced: The municipality has announced new road rules.

2. Building

Structure

Infrastructure

भवन (Bhavan)

Basic: That building is tall.
Advanced: The government is improving city infrastructure.

3. Light

Illumination

Luminescence

बत्ती (Batti)

Basic: Turn on the light.
Advanced: The illumination at the stadium was spectacular.

4. Noise

Sound

Din / Clamor

आवाज (Awaz)

Basic: I hate the city noise.
Advanced: I could not sleep due to the clamor from the street.

5. Crowd

Mob

Throng

भीड (Bhid)

Basic: The crowd is huge.
Advanced: A massive throng gathered for the concert.

6. Garbage

Waste

Debris

फोहोर (Fohor)

Basic: Pick up the garbage.
Advanced: The road was full of debris after the storm.

7. Road

Street

Boulevard

सडक (Sadak)

Basic: The road is narrow.
Advanced: We took a walk down the main boulevard.

8. Job

Career

Profession

काम (Kam)

Basic: I need a job in the city.
Advanced: Nursing is a respected profession.

9. Village

Town

Suburb

गाउँ (Gaun)

Basic: I miss my village.
Advanced: He lives in a quiet suburb outside the city.

10. Rent

Lease

Tenancy

भाडा (Bhada)

Basic: The rent is very high.
Advanced: We signed a one-year tenancy agreement.


Set 4: Village / Countryside (गाउँ)

Basic

Intermediate

Advanced

Nepali Meaning

Example Sentence

1. Village

Hamlet

Rural area

गाउँ (Gaun)

Basic: My grandparents live in a village.
Advanced: They moved to a rural area to escape the pollution.

2. Fresh

Pure

Pristine

ताजा (Taja)

Basic: The air is fresh here.
Advanced: The mountain lake has pristine blue water.

3. Farm

Cultivate

Harvest

खेत (Khet)

Basic: They work on a farm.
Advanced: We need to harvest the rice before the monsoon.

4. Quiet

Serene

Tranquil

शान्त (Shanta)

Basic: The village is quiet.
Advanced: I enjoy the tranquil environment of the countryside.

5. Animals

Livestock

Cattle

जनावर (Janawar)

Basic: Villagers have many animals.
Advanced: The farmer took his livestock to the market.

6. Path

Trail

Trodden route

बाटो (Bato)

Basic: Follow the path to the river.
Advanced: We walked on a narrow trail through the forest.

7. Neighbor

Resident

Inhabitant

छिमेकी (Chimeki)

Basic: Our neighbor is very kind.
Advanced: The village inhabitants know each other personally.

8. Help

Cooperate

Collaborate

मद्दत (Maddat)

Basic: The villagers help each other.
Advanced: Everyone collaborates during the planting season.

9. Old

Ancient

Ancestral

पुरानो (Purano)

Basic: This is an old house.
Advanced: We are renovating our ancestral home.

10. Grow

Flourish

Thrive

बढ्नु (Badhnu)

Basic: The plants grow well here.
Advanced: Crops thrive in this fertile soil.


Set 5: Office / Workplace (कार्यालय)

Basic

Intermediate

Advanced

Nepali Meaning

Example Sentence

1. Boss

Supervisor

Employer

मालिक (Malik)

Basic: My boss is strict.
Advanced: My supervisor approved my leave request.

2. Meet

Discuss

Converse

भेट्नु (Bhetnu)

Basic: Let's meet today.
Advanced: We will converse with the client over lunch.

3. Paper

Document

Memorandum

कागज (Kagaj)

Basic: I need this paper signed.
Advanced: The manager issued a memorandum about new policies.

4. End

Finish

Terminate

अन्त्य (Antya)

Basic: The meeting ended at 5 PM.
Advanced: They decided to terminate the contract early.

5. Do

Perform

Execute

गर्नु (Garnu)

Basic: Do the task quickly.
Advanced: The team will execute the plan next week.

6. Idea

Proposal

Initiative

विचार (Bichar)

Basic: I have an idea for a project.
Advanced: She took the initiative to start a recycling program.

7. Hard

Challenging

Arduous

गाह्रो (Gahro)

Basic: The work is hard today.
Advanced: Climbing the ladder to success is an arduous task.

8. Easy

Simple

Straightforward

सजिलो (Sajilo)

Basic: This software is easy.
Advanced: The instructions are straightforward to follow.

9. Tired

Fatigued

Exhausted

थकित (Thakit)

Basic: I am tired after the shift.
Advanced: I am utterly exhausted from back-to-back meetings.

10. Money

Salary

Remuneration

पैसा (Paisa)

Basic: I get my money monthly.
Advanced: The remuneration for this position is competitive.


Set 6: Connectives / Transition Words (जोड्ने शब्दहरू)

These are used to make your sentences flow better.

Basic

Intermediate

Advanced

Nepali Meaning

Example Sentence

1. And

Plus

Furthermore

र (Ra)

Basic: I like tea and coffee.
Advanced: The hotel is cheap; furthermore, it has free WiFi.

2. But

However

Nevertheless

तर (Tara)

Basic: I tried, but I failed.
Advanced: The weather was bad; nevertheless, we finished the hike.

3. So

Therefore

Consequently

त्यसैले (Tasaile)

Basic: I was hungry, so I ate.
Advanced: He didn't study; consequently, he failed the exam.

4. Also

In addition

Moreover

पनि (Pani)

Basic: I want milk also.
Advanced: She is beautiful; moreover, she is intelligent.

5. Or

Alternatively

Otherwise

वा (Wa)

Basic: You can go left or right.
Advanced: We can eat now; alternatively, we can wait for your sister.

6. Because

Since

Owing to

किनभने (Kinabhane)

Basic: I am happy because it is sunny.
Advanced: Owing to the heavy rain, the event was cancelled.

7. If

Whether

Provided that

यदि (Yadi)

Basic: If you work, you will earn.
Advanced: You can go out provided that you finish your homework.

8. Not only

Besides

Furthermore

मात्र होइन (Matra Hoina)

Basic: He is smart, not only that, he is kind.
Advanced: Besides being smart, he is also very humble.

9. For example

For instance

To illustrate

उदाहरण (Udaharan)

Basic: I like sweets, for example, chocolate.
Advanced: To illustrate my point, look at this graph.

10. Finally

Ultimately

In conclusion

अन्त्यमा (Antyema)

Basic: Finally, we reached home.
Advanced: In conclusion, I believe we should invest now.


Set 7: Complex / Abstract Ideas (जटिल विचार)

Basic

Intermediate

Advanced

Nepali Meaning

Example Sentence

1. Think

Ponder

Contemplate

सोच्नु (Sochnu)

Basic: I think about the future.
Advanced: I need to contemplate this life-changing decision.

2. Strange

Unusual

Peculiar

अनौठो (Anautho)

Basic: That person is strange.
Advanced: He has a peculiar way of speaking.

3. Truth

Reality

Veracity

सत्य (Satya)

Basic: Tell me the truth.
Advanced: I have doubts about the veracity of his story.

4. Freedom

Liberty

Autonomy

स्वतन्त्रता (Swatantrata)

Basic: I love my freedom.
Advanced: The region is fighting for political autonomy.

5. Jealous

Envious

Covetous

ईर्ष्या (Irshya)

Basic: She is jealous of my new phone.
Advanced: He cast a covetous look at his friend's car.

6. Improve

Enhance

Elevate

सुधार्नु (Sudharnu)

Basic: I want to improve my English.
Advanced: This meditation helps elevate your mood.

7. Secret

Hidden

Covert

गोप्य (Gopya)

Basic: I have a secret.
Advanced: The army conducted a covert operation.

8. Agreement

Harmony

Consensus

सहमति (Sahamati)

Basic: We have an agreement.
Advanced: We reached a consensus after two hours of debate.

9. Respect

Esteem

Veneration

सम्मान (Samman)

Basic: I respect my elders.
Advanced: He holds his grandfather in high veneration.

10. Hungry

Craving

Famished

भोको (Bhoko)

Basic: I am hungry.
Advanced: I am absolutely famished; I haven't eaten all day.


Set 8: Compound Words (जोडिएका शब्दहरू)

Compound words are made of two small words put together. As you advance, you use more descriptive compound adjectives.

Basic

Intermediate

Advanced

Nepali Meaning

Example Sentence

1. House + Work

Housework

Household chores

घरको काम (Gharko Kaam)

Basic: I hate housework.
Advanced: I need to finish my household chores before Sunday.

2. Sun + Glasses

Sunglasses

Shades

घामको चश्मा (Ghamko Chasma)

Basic: Wear your sunglasses.
Advanced: He put on his shades to shield his eyes.

3. Note + Book

Notebook

Journal

कापी (Kapi)

Basic: I wrote it in my notebook.
Advanced: She keeps a daily journal of her travels.

4. Pass + Time

Pastime

Hobby

समय बिताउने (Samaya Bitaune)

Basic: Cricket is a good pastime.
Advanced: Gardening is a relaxing hobby.

5. Over + Sleep

Oversleep

Doze off

धेरै सुत्नु (Dherai Sutnu)

Basic: I overslept this morning.
Advanced: I dozed off on the couch while watching TV.

6. Break + Fast

Breakfast

Morning meal

खाजा (Khaja)

Basic: I skip breakfast often.
Advanced: It is important to eat a proper morning meal.

7. Out + Side

Outside

Outdoors

बाहिर (Bahira)

Basic: Go outside and play.
Advanced: I prefer working outdoors in the fresh air.

8. Up + Stairs

Upstairs

Upper floor

माथिल्लो तला (Mathillo Tala)

Basic: The bedroom is upstairs.
Advanced: The conference is on the upper floor.

9. Down + Town

Downtown

City center

शहरको केन्द्र (Shaharko Kendra)

Basic: We are going downtown.
Advanced: We will meet at the city center mall.

10. Grand + Mother

Grandmother

Grandparent (Elder)

हजुरआमा (Hajuraama)

Basic: My grandmother is old.
Advanced: My elders have taught me many life lessons.


Set 9: Education / Study (अध्ययन)

Basic

Intermediate

Advanced

Nepali Meaning

Example Sentence

1. Learn

Study

Acquire knowledge

सिक्नु (Siknu)

Basic: I learn English.
Advanced: We go to school to acquire knowledge.

2. Test

Exam

Assessment

परीक्षा (Pariksha)

Basic: We have a test today.
Advanced: The final assessment will be next month.

3. Class

Lecture

Seminar

कक्षा (Kaksha)

Basic: I am going to class.
Advanced: I attended a seminar on climate change.

4. Good

Smart

Intellectual

राम्रो (Ramro)

Basic: He is a good student.
Advanced: She is an intellectual person who loves reading.

5. Copy

Repeat

Replicate

नक्कल (Nakkal)

Basic: Don't copy my answers.
Advanced: We need to replicate this successful model.

6. Remember

Memorize

Retain

सम्झनु (Samjhnu)

Basic: Remember this formula.
Advanced: It is hard to retain so much information quickly.

7. Understand

Grasp

Comprehend

बुझ्नु (Bujhnu)

Basic: I don't understand this.
Advanced: I cannot comprehend this difficult physics concept.

8. Mistake

Error

Fallacy

गल्ती (Galti)

Basic: I made a mistake in math.
Advanced: The argument is based on a logical fallacy.

9. Read

Scan

Peruse

पढ्नु (Padhnu)

Basic: Read this book.
Advanced: I need to peruse this document before signing it.

10. Grade

Score

Percentage

अंक (Ank)

Basic: I got a good grade.
Advanced: My percentage improved drastically this semester.


Set 10: Technology / Digital Life (प्रविधि)

Basic

Intermediate

Advanced

Nepali Meaning

Example Sentence

1. Phone

Smartphone

Device

फोन (Phone)

Basic: My phone is out of battery.
Advanced: Charge your device before leaving.

2. Internet

Wi-Fi

Broadband

इन्टरनेट (Internet)

Basic: I need internet for this.
Advanced: We have fiber-optic broadband at home.

3. App

Software

Application

एप (App)

Basic: Download the new app.
Advanced: This application helps with photo editing.

4. Click

Tap

Navigate

क्लिक (Click)

Basic: Click on this link.
Advanced: Learn to navigate the new website easily.

5. Screen

Display

Monitor

पर्दा (Parda)

Basic: The screen is cracked.
Advanced: My computer monitor is not turning on.

6. Online

Virtual

Digital

अनलाइन (Online)

Basic: I shop online.
Advanced: We are shifting to a digital signature system.

7. Upload

Post

Publish

अपलोड (Upload)

Basic: Upload your photo.
Advanced: She decided to publish her article on the blog.

8. Problem

Glitch

Bug

समस्या (Samasya)

Basic: There is a problem with the Wi-Fi.
Advanced: The engineer fixed the software bug.

9. Save

Store

Backup

बचत (Bachat)

Basic: Save your file.
Advanced: Always backup your important photos to the cloud.

10. New

Modern

Cutting-edge

नयाँ (Naya)

Basic: I bought a new laptop.
Advanced: This company uses cutting-edge technology.

 

50 Fill-in-the-Blank Vocabulary Exercises

Instructions: Choose the correct word from the brackets. The answers with short reasons are provided at the very end (DO NOT scroll down until you finish!).


Set 1: Shopping (किनमेल) - Q1 to Q5

1.      The store manager promised to __________ my money if the product was defective. (return / reimburse / exchange)

2.      This diamond ring is beautiful but the price is __________. (economical / exorbitant / cheap)

3.      I need to __________ the supermarket for some fresh vegetables. (scour / sample / crave)

4.      Before buying the car, I want to __________ it on the highway. (procure / test / browse)

5.      Please keep the __________ safe; you might need it for warranty. (invoice / receipt / appraisal)


Set 2: Travelling (यात्रा) - Q6 to Q10

6.      Due to the heavy fog, the airport had to __________ all incoming flights. (cease / allocate / delay)

7.      We decided to __________ through the ancient city streets to enjoy the architecture. (amble / embark / hustle)

8.      The view from the top of the hill was a breathtaking __________ of the valley. (panorama / belonging / halt)

9.      Do not __________ on buying your plane tickets; prices will go up soon. (procrastinate / orchestrate / depart)

10. The bus station is always __________ during the Dashain festival. (tranquil / bustling / pristine)


Set 3: City Life (सहर) - Q11 to Q15

11. The city needs to improve its public __________ like roads and bridges. (municipality / infrastructure / suburb)

12. I couldn't hear the guide because of the __________ from the construction site. (illumination / din / tenancy)

13. He moved to a quiet __________ outside the main city to raise his children. (suburb / metropolis / boulevard)

14. After the earthquake, the roads were covered with __________. (debris / livestock / clamor)

15. We signed a one-year __________ agreement for the apartment. (lease / harvest / collaborate)


Set 4: Village / Countryside (गाउँ) - Q16 to Q20

16. The mountain lake has __________ blue water that looks untouched. (tranquil / pristine / trodden)

17. During the monsoon, farmers work together to __________ the rice. (cultivate / harvest / inhabit)

18. Unlike the noisy city, the village has a very __________ atmosphere. (serene / bustling / arduous)

19. The local __________ were very friendly and welcomed us warmly. (immigrants / inhabitants / supervisors)

20. In the village, everyone has to __________ with each other to get work done. (compete / collaborate / terminate)


Set 5: Office / Workplace (कार्यालय) - Q21 to Q25

21. The manager asked us to __________ the new marketing plan by Friday. (execute / converse / ponder)

22. She took the __________ to start a weekend cleaning schedule. (proposal / initiative / remuneration)

23. Climbing the corporate ladder is an __________ journey that requires patience. (straightforward / arduous / cheerful)

24. The company sent a __________ to all employees about the new holiday policy. (receipt / memorandum / livestock)

25. The monthly __________ is deposited directly into our bank accounts. (expenditure / remuneration / debris)


Set 6: Connectives (जोड्ने शब्दहरू) - Q26 to Q30

26. The hotel room was cheap; __________, it had a beautiful ocean view. (otherwise / consequently / furthermore)

27. He didn't wear a helmet; __________, he suffered a serious injury. (nevertheless / consequently / moreover)

28. You can take the bus to the mall; __________, you can take a taxi if you are in a hurry. (alternatively / owing to / provided that)

29. We can go for a picnic __________ the weather stays sunny. (whether / otherwise / provided that)

30. __________ the heavy traffic, we arrived two hours late for the wedding. (Nevertheless / Owing to / In conclusion)


Set 7: Complex / Abstract Ideas (जटिल विचार) - Q31 to Q35

31. I need some time to __________ the job offer before giving my final answer. (contemplate / elevate / covet)

32. Please don't be __________ of your friend's success; be happy for him. (famished / envious / covert)

33. There is no __________ in his statement; he is clearly lying. (consensus / veracity / autonomy)

34. The new law gives more __________ to local communities to make decisions. (harmony / autonomy / fallacy)

35. I haven't eaten anything since morning; I am absolutely __________. (peculiar / famished / respectful)


Set 8: Compound Words (जोडिएका शब्दहरू) - Q36 to Q40

36. I have so many __________ to do today, like washing the dishes and sweeping the floor. (household chores / journals / shades)

37. She sat on the balcony and wrote in her personal __________ about her experiences. (notebook / journal / monitor)

38. He couldn't keep his eyes open and started to __________ on the sofa. (oversleep / doze off / navigate)

39. We walked to the __________ area of the city to find a good restaurant. (upstairs / downtown / outdoor)

40. My __________ taught me many valuable lessons about life. (grandparents / supervisors / inhabitants)


Set 9: Education / Study (अध्ययन) - Q41 to Q45

41. It is difficult to __________ so many dates and events for the history exam. (peruse / retain / scan)

42. The final __________ for this course includes both a written test and an oral interview. (assessment / seminar / fallacy)

43. We need to __________ the successful results of the pilot project in other schools. (replicate / memorize / contemplate)

44. Please __________ this report carefully before you sign it. (peruse / copy / crave)

45. His argument is based on a logical __________ that everyone noticed. (percentage / fallacy / harmony)


Set 10: Technology (प्रविधि) - Q46 to Q50

46. Always __________ your important files to an external hard drive. (backup / navigate / upload)

47. There seems to be a __________ in the system; the screen keeps freezing. (device / bug / broadband)

48. The company uses __________ technology to stay ahead of its competitors. (cutting-edge / digital / economical)

49. It took me an hour to __________ through the confusing new website. (sample / navigate / click)

50. I need to __________ these photos to the cloud so my team can see them. (backup / publish / procure)


.

.

.

.

.


ANSWERS WITH SHORT REASONS

(DO NOT LOOK BEFORE SOLVING!)

Question

Correct Answer

Short Reason

1.

reimburse

"Reimburse" means to give money back (official context). "Return" is just giving the item back.

2.

exorbitant

"Exorbitant" means unreasonably high/expensive. "Economical" means cheap.

3.

scour

"Scour" means to search thoroughly. "Sample" means to taste/test.

4.

test

"Test" fits the basic context of trying a car. "Procure" means to obtain formally.

5.

receipt

A "receipt" is proof of purchase. An "invoice" is a bill sent before payment.

6.

delay

"Delay" means to make late. "Cease" means to stop completely (too strong here).

7.

amble

"Amble" means to walk slowly/leisurely. "Embark" means to begin a journey.

8.

panorama

A "panorama" is a wide, unbroken view of a landscape.

9.

procrastinate

"Procrastinate" means to delay/put off doing something.

10.

bustling

"Bustling" means crowded and busy. "Tranquil" means quiet/peaceful.

11.

infrastructure

"Infrastructure" means basic physical systems (roads, bridges).

12.

din

"Din" means a loud, unpleasant continuous noise.

13.

suburb

A "suburb" is a residential area just outside a city.

14.

debris

"Debris" means scattered broken pieces (rubble).

15.

lease

A "lease" is a formal rental agreement.

16.

pristine

"Pristine" means untouched, clean, and pure.

17.

harvest

"Harvest" means to gather ripe crops. "Cultivate" means to grow/prepare land.

18.

serene

"Serene" means calm, peaceful, and quiet.

19.

inhabitants

"Inhabitants" means people who live in a specific place.

20.

collaborate

"Collaborate" means to work together.

21.

execute

"Execute" means to carry out/perform a plan.

22.

initiative

"Initiative" means the ability to act on your own without being told.

23.

arduous

"Arduous" means very difficult and tiresome.

24.

memorandum

A "memorandum" is an official written message in a company.

25.

remuneration

"Remuneration" is formal word for salary/payment.

26.

furthermore

"Furthermore" adds information (plus, also).

27.

consequently

"Consequently" means as a result (effect).

28.

alternatively

"Alternatively" means another choice/option.

29.

provided that

"Provided that" means "if" or "on the condition that".

30.

Owing to

"Owing to" means because of.

31.

contemplate

"Contemplate" means to think deeply/consider carefully.

32.

envious

"Envious" means wanting what someone else has (jealous).

33.

veracity

"Veracity" means truthfulness/accuracy.

34.

autonomy

"Autonomy" means independence/self-government.

35.

famished

"Famished" means extremely hungry.

36.

household chores

"Chores" are routine home tasks (cleaning, washing).

37.

journal

A "journal" is a personal diary for daily thoughts/experiences.

38.

doze off

"Doze off" means to fall asleep unintentionally.

39.

downtown

"Downtown" refers to the main business/entertainment center.

40.

grandparents

"Grandparents" fits the context of elders teaching life lessons.

41.

retain

"Retain" means to keep/remember information over time.

42.

assessment

"Assessment" is a formal evaluation of knowledge/skills.

43.

replicate

"Replicate" means to copy/reproduce exactly.

44.

peruse

"Peruse" means to read carefully/examine thoroughly.

45.

fallacy

"Fallacy" means a false or mistaken belief/idea.

46.

backup

"Backup" means to make a copy of digital data for safety.

47.

bug

A "bug" is a software error/fault.

48.

cutting-edge

"Cutting-edge" means the newest/most advanced.

49.

navigate

"Navigate" means to find your way around (a website).

50.

upload

"Upload" means to send data from your device to the internet.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

PTE Reorder Paragraphs

PTE Reorder Paragraphs uses adjacent-pair partial credit : you earn 1 point for every two sentences correctly placed next to each other, no ...