Sunday, 16 March 2025

Affirmative and Negative Sentences

 

 

Definition of Affirmative and Negative Sentences

1. Affirmative Sentences:

An affirmative sentence states that something is true, real, or correct. It expresses a positive meaning and does not contain words like not, never, no, etc.

 Examples:

  • She likes ice cream.
  • They are playing football.
  • He has completed his homework.
  • I will call you tomorrow.

2. Negative Sentences:

A negative sentence states that something is not true, does not happen, or is denied. It contains words like not, never, no, etc.

Examples:

  • She does not like ice cream.
  • They are not playing football.
  • He has not completed his homework.
  • I will not call you tomorrow.

Basic rules

1 Use ‘not’ after auxiliary verbs .

am, is, are, do, does, did, was, were, have, has, had can, could, may, might, shall, should, will, would, ought to, must, need to, dare to, have to, had to , has to

1. Using "am, is, are" (Present Tense - Be Verbs)

Affirmative: I am happy today.
 Negative: I am not happy today.

Affirmative: She is a teacher.
Negative: She is not a teacher.

 Affirmative: They are my friends.
 Negative: They are not my friends.


2. Using "do, does, did" (Simple Present & Past Tense)

Affirmative: I like coffee.
Negative: I do not like coffee.

Affirmative: He plays football.
Negative: He does not play football.

Affirmative: She visited Nepal last year.
Negative: She did not visit Nepal last year.


Using "was, were" (Past Tense - Be Verbs)

Affirmative: She was at the party.
Negative: She was not at the party.

Affirmative: They were in the classroom.
Negative: They were not in the classroom.


4. Using "have, has, had" (Perfect Tenses & Possession)

Affirmative: I have completed my work.
Negative: I have not completed my work.

Affirmative: She has a new car.
Negative: She does not have a new car.

 Affirmative: He had a great time yesterday.
 Negative: He did not have a great time yesterday.


5. Using "can, could" (Ability, Possibility)

Affirmative: She can swim fast.
 Negative: She cannot swim fast.

Affirmative: He could solve the puzzle.
Negative: He could not solve the puzzle.


6. Using "may, might" (Permission, Possibility)

Affirmative: You may enter the room.
Negative: You may not enter the room.

Affirmative: It might rain today.
Negative: It might not rain today.


7. Using "shall, should" (Future Intent, Advice, Obligation)

 Affirmative: We shall meet tomorrow.
Negative: We shall not meet tomorrow.

 Affirmative: You should drink more water.
 Negative: You should not drink more water.


8. Using "will, would" (Future Actions, Requests, Hypotheticals)

Affirmative: She will help us.
 Negative: She will not help us.

 Affirmative: He would accept the offer.
Negative: He would not accept the offer.


9. Using "ought to" (Moral Obligation)

Affirmative: We ought to respect our elders.
Negative: We ought not to respect our elders.


10. Using "must, need to, dare to" (Necessity, Obligation, Challenge)

Affirmative: You must follow the rules.
Negative: You must not follow the rules.

Affirmative: She needs to finish the project.
Negative: She does not need to finish the project.

Affirmative: He dares to speak the truth.
Negative: He dares not to speak the truth.


11. Using "have to, had to, has to" (Obligation, Necessity)

 Affirmative: I have to wake up early.
 Negative: I do not have to wake up early.

 Affirmative: He has to submit the report.
 Negative: He does not have to submit the report.

 Affirmative: She had to attend the meeting.
 Negative: She did not have to attend the meeting.

 

2 Use  do, did, does with the main verbs

Main verb

Negative forms

V1, have, have to

Do not (don’t+v1)

V2 , had, had to

Did not(didn’t+v1)

V5, has, has to

Does not (doesn’t+v1)

1. Using V1 (Base Form - Present Simple with "do/does")

Affirmative: I play football every Sunday.
 Negative: I do not play football every Sunday.

 Affirmative: She likes chocolate.
 Negative: She does not like chocolate.


2. Using V2 (Past Simple - Regular & Irregular Verbs with "did")

Affirmative: He visited Nepal last year.
Negative: He did not visit Nepal last year.

Affirmative: They bought a new car.
Negative: They did not buy a new car.


3. Using V5 (Third-Person Singular - Present Simple with "does")

 Affirmative: He runs five kilometers every morning.
Negative: He does not run five kilometers every morning.

Affirmative: She studies English daily.
Negative: She does not study English daily.

Note: If have, had, has comes with v3 ( past participle), use ‘not’ after them as shown

have +v3

have not/ haven’t +v3

had+v3

had not/hadn’t +v3

has+v3

has not/hasn’t +v3

Examples,

1.     She has finished her homework. → She has not finished her homework.

2.     They have visited Paris. → They have not visited Paris.

3.     He has seen the movie. → He has not seen the movie.

4.     I  have completed the project. → I have not completed the project.

5.      We have met him before. → We have not met him before.

6.      She had cleaned the kitchen yesterday. → She had not cleaned the kitchen yesterday.

7.     You had arrived in this city last year. → You had not arrived this city last year.

25 affirmative sentences that you can transform into negative sentences:


1.Affirmative: She speaks English fluently.

2.Affirmative: They went to the party last night.

3.Affirmative: I read books every day.

4.Affirmative: He will finish his homework soon.

5.Affirmative: She can swim very well.

6.Affirmative: They are playing football in the park.

7.Affirmative: We have visited that museum before.

8.Affirmative: I am going to the gym this afternoon.

9.Affirmative: He enjoys listening to music.

10.Affirmative: She always helps her friends.

11.Affirmative: We finished our work early.

12.Affirmative: They are always on time.

13.Affirmative: I will call you later.

14.Affirmative: He has a new phone.

15.Affirmative: She studied for the exam all night.

16.Affirmative: They play basketball every weekend.

17.Affirmative: I understand the lesson.

18.Affirmative: He was at the meeting yesterday.

19.Affirmative: She is traveling to Paris tomorrow.

20.Affirmative: We enjoy going to the beach.

21.Affirmative: I can solve this problem.

22.Affirmative: He eats breakfast at 7 am.

23.Affirmative: They visited their grandmother last weekend.

24.Affirmative: She will join us later.

25.Affirmative: I am excited about the trip.

Answers

25 affirmative sentences that you can transform into negative sentences:


1.Negative: She does not speak English fluently.

2.Negative: They did not go to the party last night.

3.Negative: I do not read books every day.

4.Negative: He will not finish his homework soon.

5. Negative: She cannot swim very well.

6.Negative: They are not playing football in the park.

7.Negative: We have not visited that museum before.

8.Negative: I am not going to the gym this afternoon.

9.Negative: He does not enjoy listening to music.

10.Negative: She does not always help her friends.

11.Negative: We did not finish our work early.

12.Negative: They are not always on time.

13.Negative: I will not call you later.

14.Negative: He does not have a new phone.

15.Negative: She did not study for the exam all night.

16.Negative: They do not play basketball every weekend.

17.Negative: I do not understand the lesson.

18.Negative: He was not at the meeting yesterday.

19.Negative: She is not traveling to Paris tomorrow.

20.Negative: We do not enjoy going to the beach.

21.Negative: I cannot solve this problem.

22.Negative: He does not eat breakfast at 7 am.

23.Negative: They did not visit their grandmother last weekend.

24.Negative: She will not join us later.

25.Negative: I am not excited about the trip.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

50 Examples of Using Can and Could with English and Nepali Translations (Specially for Biswas Theeng Living in Sharjah, UAE)

50 Examples of Using Can and Could with English and Nepali Translations (Specially for Biswas Theeng Living in Sharjah, UAE ) 📘 CAN (Pr...