Thursday, 19 March 2026

Use of May / Might (permission, possibility, wish)

 Use of MAY (permission, possibility, wish)

 “May” = सक्नुहुन्छ / हुन सक्छ (formal & polite)


1. Permission (अनुमति – formal)

औपचारिक रूपमा अनुमति माग्न वा दिन।

Structure:
Subject + may + V1

Examples:

  • May I come in?
    के भित्र आउन सक्छु?
  • You may go now.
    तपाईं अब जान सक्नुहुन्छ।

2. Possibility (सम्भावना)

कुनै कुरा हुन सक्छ।

  • It may rain today.
    आज पानी पर्न सक्छ।
  • She may be at home.
    घरमा हुन सक्छे।

3. Wish / Blessing (कामना)

शुभकामना वा आशिर्वाद दिन।

  • May you live long!
    तिमी दीर्घायु होऊ!
  • May God bless you.
    भगवानले तिमीलाई आशीर्वाद दिउन्।

4. Formal Suggestion

  • You may try this book.
    तपाईं यो पुस्तक प्रयास गर्न सक्नुहुन्छ।

Use of MIGHT (less possibility, past, suggestion)

“Might” = हुन सक्छ (कम सम्भावना)


1. Weak Possibility (कम सम्भावना)

 “may” भन्दा कम निश्चित।

  • It might rain tonight.
    आज राति पानी पर्न सक्छ (कम सम्भावना)
  • He might come late.
    ढिलो आउन सक्छ।

2. Past Possibility (भूतकालको सम्भावना)

अघिल्लो समयमा के हुन सक्थ्यो।

  • She might have missed the bus.
    उसले बस छुटाएको हुन सक्छ।

3. Polite Suggestion (सभ्य सुझाव)

  • You might try this method.
    तिमी यो तरिका प्रयास गर्न सक्छौ।

4. Imaginary Situation (If sentence)

काल्पनिक अवस्था।

  • If I had time, I might visit you.
     
    यदि मसँग समय भएको भए तिमीलाई भेट्न जान सक्थें।

5. Permission (rare, very polite)

  • Might I ask a question?
    के एउटा प्रश्न सोध्न सक्छु?

🔁 Difference between MAY and MIGHT

MAY

MIGHT

More possibility (बढी सम्भावना)

Less possibility (कम सम्भावना)

Formal permission

Very polite / rare permission

Present/future

Past / weaker

It may rain

It might rain

May I come in?

Might I come in? (very formal)


Important Points (महत्वपूर्ण कुराहरू)

May = formal permission + possibility
Might = weak possibility + past
Might is less certain than may
Both use V1 (base verb)
Might have + V3 = past possibility


Practice Sentences

1.      You may leave early today.
तपाईं आज चाँडै जान सक्नुहुन्छ।

2.      It might be true.
यो सत्य हुन सक्छ।

3.      May I use your pen?
के तपाईंको कलम प्रयोग गर्न सक्छु?

4.      He might have forgotten the meeting.
उसले बैठक बिर्सिएको हुन सक्छ।

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

50 Examples of Using Can and Could with English and Nepali Translations (Specially for Biswas Theeng Living in Sharjah, UAE)

50 Examples of Using Can and Could with English and Nepali Translations (Specially for Biswas Theeng Living in Sharjah, UAE ) 📘 CAN (Pr...