Thursday, 19 March 2026

Use of Can/ Could (present ability, permission, possibility)

Use of CAN (present ability, permission, possibility)

“Can” = सक्नु / सक्छ (present ability or possibility)


1. Ability (क्षमता)

कुनै काम गर्न सक्ने क्षमता जनाउँछ।

Structure:
Subject + can + V1

Examples:

  • I can swim.
    पौडी खेल्न सक्छु।
  • She can speak English.
    अंग्रेजी बोल्न सक्छे।

2. Permission (अनुमति)

अनुमति माग्न वा दिन प्रयोग हुन्छ।

  • Can I go out?
    के बाहिर जान सक्छु?
  • You can use my phone.
    तिमी मेरो फोन प्रयोग गर्न सक्छौ।

3. Possibility (सम्भावना)

सम्भावना देखाउँछ।

  • It can rain today.
    आज पानी पर्न सक्छ।
  • This road can be dangerous.
    यो बाटो खतरनाक हुन सक्छ।

4. Informal Request (साधारण अनुरोध)

साथीभाइबीच प्रयोग हुन्छ।

  • Can you help me?
    के तिमी मलाई सहयोग गर्न सक्छौ?

5. Prohibition (निषेध) – negative

  • You cannot smoke here.
    👉
    यहाँ धूम्रपान गर्न पाइँदैन।

Use of COULD (past, polite, possibility, imaginary)

“Could” = सक्थ्यो / सक्थे / सक्नुहुन्थ्यो (past or polite)


1. Past Ability (भूतकालको क्षमता)

पहिले गर्न सक्ने क्षमता।

  • I could run fast when I was young.
    सानो हुँदा छिटो दौडन सक्थें।
  • She could dance well.
    राम्रोसँग नाच्न सक्थी।

2. Polite Request (सभ्य अनुरोध)

“can” भन्दा धेरै सभ्य।

  • Could you help me?
    के तपाईं मलाई सहयोग गर्नुहुन्छ?
  • Could you open the door?
    के तपाईं ढोका खोल्नुहुन्छ?

3. Permission (formal / polite)

  • Could I use your pen?
    के तपाईंको कलम प्रयोग गर्न सक्छु?

4. Possibility (कम सम्भावना)

“can” भन्दा कम निश्चित।

  • It could rain tonight.
    आज राति पानी पर्न सक्छ (कम सम्भावना)

5. Suggestion (सुझाव)

  • You could try this method.
    तिमी यो तरिका प्रयास गर्न सक्छौ।

6. Imaginary / If sentence (काल्पनिक अवस्था)

  • If I had money, I could buy a car.
    यदि मसँग पैसा भएको भए गाडी किन्न सक्थें।

Difference between CAN and COULD

CAN

COULD

Present ability

Past ability

Informal

Polite / formal

Strong possibility

Weak possibility

I can swim

I could swim (when I was young)

Can you help me?

Could you help me? (more polite)


Important Points (महत्वपूर्ण कुराहरू)

Can = सक्छ / सक्नु (present)
Could = सक्थ्यो / सक्थे (past)
Could is more polite than can
Could is used in if sentences
Both use V1 (base verb)


Practice Sentences

1.      I can solve this problem.
यो समस्या समाधान गर्न सक्छु।

2.      She could sing when she was a child.
सानो हुँदा गाउन सक्थी।

3.      Can you lift this box?
के तिमी यो बाकस उठाउन सक्छौ?

4.      Could you please help me?
के तपाईं मलाई सहयोग गर्नुहुन्छ?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

50 Examples of Using Can and Could with English and Nepali Translations (Specially for Biswas Theeng Living in Sharjah, UAE)

50 Examples of Using Can and Could with English and Nepali Translations (Specially for Biswas Theeng Living in Sharjah, UAE ) 📘 CAN (Pr...