Saturday, 25 July 2026

PTE Respond to a Situation: Formal vs. Informal Vocabulary

PTE Respond to a Situation: Formal vs. Informal Vocabulary

In the Respond to a Situation section, you should adapt your vocabulary and tone according to the relationship you have with the person you are speaking to.


1. Formal Vocabulary

(For strangers, managers, professors, customer service staff, officials, or elderly people)

Function

Formal Phrases

Greeting

Good morning. / Good afternoon. / Hello, Sir/Madam.

Apologising

Please accept my sincere apologies.

I must apologise for the inconvenience.

I sincerely apologise for the oversight.

Requesting

I would like to request...

Could you please...?

Would it be possible to...?

I was wondering if you could...

Explaining

I regret to inform you that...

There appears to be an issue with...

Unfortunately, I have encountered...

I would like to inform you that...

Asking for help

I would appreciate your assistance.

Could you please assist me?

Could you kindly direct me to...?

I would be grateful if you could help me.

Confirming

I would like to confirm...

Just to clarify...

Could you please confirm...?

Thanking

Thank you for your understanding.

Thank you for your assistance.

I truly appreciate your help.

Closing

Thank you for your time and consideration.

I look forward to your response.

Have a wonderful day.


2. Informal Vocabulary

(For friends, classmates, colleagues, siblings, or family members)

Function

Informal Phrases

Greeting

Hi! / Hey!

Apologising

I'm so sorry.

My bad!

Sorry about that.

Requesting

Can you please...?

Could you do me a favour?

Do you mind if...?

Would you mind...?

Explaining

Just so you know...

I've got a bit of a problem...

There's a slight hiccup...

Guess what happened...

Asking for help

Can you give me a hand?

Can you help me out?

Could you point me in the right direction?

Confirming

Just to double-check...

So, just to make sure...

Right?

Thanking

Thanks a lot!

Thanks a ton!

You're the best!

Closing

Cheers!

Talk soon.

See you later.


3. Higher-Level Vocabulary for Better Scores

Basic Word

Advanced Word

Example

big

significant

This is a significant issue.

small

minor

There is a minor delay.

problem

complication

I encountered an unexpected complication.

help

assist

Could you assist me?

fix

resolve

We will resolve the issue promptly.

change

modify

I need to modify my booking.

show

indicate

This indicates a technical fault.

tell

inform

I would like to inform you...

ask

request

I would like to request...

late

delayed

My train has been delayed.

difficult

challenging

It was quite a challenging situation.

important

essential

It is essential to complete the task.

wrong

incorrect

There seems to be an incorrect entry.

buy

purchase

I would like to purchase another ticket.

use

utilise

You may utilise this facility.


4. Useful Sentence Structures

Formal

  • Good morning. I would like to...
  • I regret to inform you that...
  • Unfortunately,...
  • I would appreciate your assistance.
  • Could you please...
  • I would be grateful if...
  • Thank you for your understanding.

Informal

  • Hey!
  • Just so you know...
  • I've got a quick favour to ask.
  • Can you help me out?
  • Thanks a lot!
  • See you later!

5. Universal Template (Formal)

Good morning. I would like to inform you that (state the situation). Unfortunately, (explain the problem). I would appreciate your assistance in (request). Thank you very much for your understanding.


6. Universal Template (Informal)

Hey! Just so you know, (state the situation). I've got a bit of a problem because (reason). Could you please (request)? Thanks a lot!


7. Sample Responses

Scenario 1 (Formal): Missing Luggage

Good afternoon. I regret to inform you that my suitcase is missing from the baggage carousel. I would appreciate your assistance in locating it. Could you please direct me to the lost luggage counter? Thank you very much for your help.


Scenario 2 (Informal): Bathroom During a Movie

Hey! I'm just going to the bathroom for a minute. Could you please save my seat? If the movie starts, just let me know what I miss. Thanks!


Scenario 3 (Formal): Assignment Deadline

Good morning, Professor. I sincerely apologise for missing the assignment deadline. Unfortunately, my laptop stopped working unexpectedly. I would like to request a short extension if possible. Thank you for your understanding.


Scenario 4 (Informal): Allergy

Hey! Just so you know, I'm allergic to onions. Would you mind leaving them out of my serving? Thanks so much for cooking!


8. High-Scoring Tips

  • Match your tone to the relationship (formal or informal).
  • Begin with an appropriate greeting.
  • Clearly explain the situation.
  • State your request politely.
  • End with thanks or a friendly closing.
  • Use varied vocabulary instead of repeating simple words.
  • Aim to speak naturally for 35–40 seconds (about 60–80 words).
  • Maintain clear pronunciation, smooth fluency, and logical organisation.

Following this structure consistently will help you sound natural, organised, and appropriate for a wide range of PTE "Respond to a Situation" tasks.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

PTE Respond a situations

PTE Respond a situations  PART 1: FORMAL SITUATIONS Situation 1 (Hotel Noise) Good morning. I would like to inform you that my room over...