Friday, 4 September 2026

Day 2 Complete Guide to "Can" and "Could" in English

Complete Guide to "Can" and "Could" in English

Here is a comprehensive guide on the use of "Can" and "Could" in various situations, with rules, tips, and examples in both English and Nepali.


1. CAN - प्रयोग नियमहरू

A. Ability (क्षमता / सक्नु)

Used to talk about present or general ability.

Present Ability

Can + Verb (Base Form)

I can speak three languages.

तीन भाषा बोल्न सक्छु

General Ability

Can + Verb (Base Form)

She can swim very well.

उनी राम्रो पौडी खेल्न सक्छिन्

Physical Ability

Can + Verb (Base Form)

He can lift heavy weights.

उनी भारी तौल उठाउन सक्छन्

More Examples:

  • English: I can drive a car.
  • Nepali: गाडी चलाउन सक्छु
  • English: My grandmother can still cook delicious food.
  • Nepali: मेरी हजुरआमा अझै स्वादिलो खाना पकाउन सक्नुहुन्छ

B. Permission (अनुमति / सकिन्छ)

Used to give or ask for informal permission.

Asking Permission

Can + I/we + Verb?

Can I borrow your pen?

के तपाईंको कलम सापटी लिन सक्छु?

Giving Permission

Yes, you can.

You can leave early today.

तपाईं आज चाँडै जान सक्नुहुन्छ

Refusing Permission

No, you can't.

You can't enter without a ticket.

तपाईं टिकट बिना भित्र पस्न सक्नुहुन्न

More Examples:

  • English: Can I sit here?
  • Nepali: के यहाँ बस्न सक्छु?
  • English: You can use my phone if you need it.
  • Nepali: तपाईंलाई चाहियो भने मेरो फोन प्रयोग गर्न सक्नुहुन्छ

C. Possibility (सम्भावना / हुन सक्छ)

Used to talk about possible situations in the present or future.

General Possibility

Can + Verb (Base Form)

It can rain in the mountains.

पहाडमा पानी पर्न सक्छ

Future Possibility

Can + Verb (Base Form)

This plan can work.

यो योजना सफल हुन सक्छ

More Examples:

  • English: Too much sugar can cause health problems.
  • Nepali: धेरै चिनीले स्वास्थ्य समस्या निम्त्याउन सक्छ
  • English: The weather can be unpredictable in April.
  • Nepali: अप्रिलमा मौसम अनिश्चित हुन सक्छ

D. Request (अनुरोध / मिल्छ?)

Used for informal requests.

Informal Request

Can you + Verb?

Can you help me?

के तपाईं मलाई सहायता गर्न सक्नुहुन्छ?

Offer Help

Can I + Verb?

Can I get you some water?

के तपाईंलाई पानी ल्याइदिन सक्छु?

More Examples:

  • English: Can you open the window?
  • Nepali: के तपाईं झ्याल खोल्न सक्नुहुन्छ?

E. Offer (प्रस्ताव / सक्छु)

Used to offer help or services.

Offering Help

Can I + Verb?

Can I carry your bag?

के तपाईंको झोला बोकिदिन सक्छु?

Making Offer

Can I + Verb?

Can I help you with that?

के त्यसमा सहायता गर्न सक्छु?

More Examples:

  • English: Can I take you home?
  • Nepali: के तपाईंलाई घर लैजान सक्छु?


2. COULD - प्रयोग नियमहरू

A. Past Ability (भूतकालको क्षमता / सक्थे)

Used to talk about general ability in the past.

Past Ability

Could + Verb (Base Form)

I could run fast when I was young.

जवान हुँदा छिटो दौडन सक्थे

General Ability

Could + Verb (Base Form)

She could play the piano beautifully.

उनी पियानो राम्रो बजाउन सक्थिन्

More Examples:

  • English: My grandfather could speak five languages.
  • Nepali: मेरो हजुरबुबा पाँच भाषा बोल्न सक्नुहुन्थ्यो
  • English: We could see the mountains clearly from our house.
  • Nepali: हामी हाम्रो घरबाट पहाडहरू स्पष्ट देख्न सक्थ्यौं

B. Polite Request (विनम्र अनुरोध / गर्नुहुन्थ्यो?)

Used for more formal or polite requests.

Polite Request

Could you + Verb?

Could you please open the door?

के तपाईं ढोका खोलिदिनुहुन्थ्यो?

Very Polite

Could I + Verb?

Could I borrow your book?

के तपाईंको किताब सापटी लिन सक्थें?

More Examples:

  • English: Could you please speak more slowly?
  • Nepali: के तपाईं बिस्तारै बोल्नुहुन्थ्यो?
  • English: Could I have the bill, please?
  • Nepali: के बिल पाउन सक्थें?

C. Suggestion (सुझाव / सक्छौं)

Used to make suggestions.

Making Suggestion

Could + Verb (Base Form)

We could go to the park.

हामी पार्क जान सक्छौं

Alternative Suggestion

Could + Verb (Base Form)

You could try calling him again.

तपाईं उनलाई फेरि फोन गर्न सक्नुहुन्छ

More Examples:

  • English: You could take a taxi to save time.
  • Nepali: तपाईं समय बचाउन ट्याक्सी लिन सक्नुहुन्छ
  • English: We could eat at that new restaurant.
  • Nepali: हामी त्यो नयाँ रेस्टुरेन्टमा खान सक्छौं

D. Possibility (सम्भावना / हुन सक्थ्यो)

Used to talk about possible situations (less certain than "can").

Present/Future Possibility

Could + Verb (Base Form)

It could rain today.

आज पानी पर्न सक्छ

Less Certain

Could + Verb (Base Form)

She could be at home.

उनी घरमा हुन सक्छिन्

More Examples:

  • English: The project could be finished by next week.
  • Nepali: परियोजना अर्को हप्तासम्म सकिन सक्छ
  • English: This could be the solution we need.
  • Nepali: यो हामीलाई चाहिने समाधान हुन सक्छ

E. Past Possibility (भूतकालको सम्भावना / सक्थ्यो होला)

Used to talk about possibilities in the past.

Past Possibility

Could have + Past Participle

She could have missed the bus.

उनी बस छुटाउन सक्थिन् होला

Unreal Past

Could have + Past Participle

I could have won the race.

दौड जित्न सक्थें होला

More Examples:

  • English: He could have called us.
  • Nepali: उनले हामीलाई फोन गर्न सक्थे होला
  • English: They could have arrived earlier.
  • Nepali: उनीहरू चाँडै आइपुग्न सक्थे होला

F. "Could" for Polite Complaint (गुनासो / सक्थ्यो नि)

Used to express mild criticism or complaint.

Mild Complaint

Could have + Past Participle

You could have told me earlier.

तपाईंले मलाई पहिले नै भन्न सक्नुहुन्थ्यो नि

Criticism

Could have + Past Participle

They could have done better.

उनीहरूले राम्रो गर्न सक्थे

More Examples:

  • English: You could have helped me.
  • Nepali: तपाईंले मलाई सहायता गर्न सक्नुहुन्थ्यो नि
  • English: We could have waited for you.
  • Nepali: हामी तपाईंको लागि पर्खन सक्थ्यौं


3. QUICK COMPARISON: CAN vs COULD

Present Ability

I can swim.

I could swim now.

पौडी खेल्न सक्छु

Past Ability

I can swim yesterday.

I could swim when I was young.

जवान हुँदा पौडी खेल्न सक्थे

Informal Request

Can you help me?

Could you help me? (more polite)

के तपाईं मलाई सहायता गर्न सक्नुहुन्छ?

Possibility (Certain)

It can be dangerous.

It could be dangerous. (less certain)

यो खतरनाक हुन सक्छ

Permission (Informal)

Can I go out?

Could I go out? (very formal)

के बाहिर जान सक्छु?

Suggestion

We can go. (statement)

We could go. (suggestion)

हामी जान सक्छौं


4. COMMON MISTAKES (नेपाली विद्यार्थीहरूले गर्ने गल्तीहरू)

Mistake ❌Correction ✅Explanation

I can to swim.

I can swim.

"Can" + Base Form (no "to")

She can spoke English.

She can speak English.

"Can" + Base Form

I could went there.

I could go there.

"Could" + Base Form

He can played football.

He can play football.

"Can" + Base Form

I can to go now.

I can go now.

Remove "to" after can/could

Golden Rule:
Can/Could + Verb (Base Form) → No "to", no "s/es", no past form.

✅ I can go.
✅ She can speak.
✅ They could help.


5. TIPS FOR IELTS USING CAN/COULD

Use "could" for polite requests (Speaking Part 2)

Could you please explain that again?

Use "can" for general ability (Writing Task 2)

Education can transform lives.

Use "could" for suggestions (Speaking Part 3)

We could consider renewable energy.

Use "can" for possibility (Writing Task 1)

This trend can lead to economic growth.

Use "could have" for past regrets

I could have studied harder.

Avoid overusing "can"

Use synonyms: be able to, have the ability to


6. ADVANCED STRUCTURES WITH CAN & COULD

A. Be Able To (सक्नु / सम्भव)

Used as a synonym for "can" and "could."

Present

am/is/are able to

I am able to speak English.

अंग्रेजी बोल्न सक्छु

Past

was/were able to

She was able to finish on time.

उनी समयमा सकिन्

Future

will be able to

We will be able to help you.

हामी तपाईंलाई सहायता गर्न सक्नेछौं


B. Could Have + Past Participle (भूतकालको सम्भावना / सक्थ्यो होला)

Could have + V3

I could have become a doctor.

डाक्टर बन्न सक्थें होला

Could have + V3

They could have lost the way.

उनीहरू बाटो हराउन सक्थे होला


C. Can't / Couldn't (नकारात्मक रूप)

Can't (Present)

I can't believe it.

विश्वास गर्न सक्दिन

Couldn't (Past)

She couldn't come to the party.

उनी पार्टीमा आउन सकिनन्

Couldn't have (Past Possibility)

He couldn't have stolen it.

उनले यो चोर्न सकेनन् होला


D. Can/Could in Questions (प्रश्नहरू)

Yes/No Question

Can/Could + Subject + Verb?

Can you drive?

के तपाईं गाडी चलाउन सक्नुहुन्छ?

Wh- Question

Wh-word + Can/Could + Subject + Verb?

Where can I buy this?

यो कहाँ किन्न सक्छु?

Polite Question

Could + I/you + Verb?

Could I have a coffee?

के कफी पाउन सक्थें?


7. PRACTICE EXERCISES

Fill in the blanks with Can, Could, or Can't:

I ______ speak French fluently.

फ्रान्सेली सजिलै बोल्न सक्छु।

______ you please open the door?

के तपाईं ढोका खोलिदिनुहुन्थ्यो?

She ______ play the guitar when she was young.

उनी जवान हुँदा गिटार बजाउन सक्थिन्

It ______ be dangerous to drive at night.

राति गाडी चलाउनु खतरनाक हुन सक्छ

We ______ have gone to the cinema.

हामी सिनेमा गएको हुन सक्थ्यौं

______ I use your phone?

के तपाईंको फोन प्रयोग गर्न सक्छु?

He ______ arrived late because of traffic.

उनी ट्राफिकको कारण ढिलो आएको हुन सक्छ


Answers (Check Yourself):

1.      can

2.      Could

3.      could

4.      can / could

5.      could have

6.      Can

7.      could have


8. SUMMARY TABLE

Present Ability

✅ Yes

❌ No

सक्छु

Past Ability

❌ No

✅ Yes

सक्थे

Informal Request

✅ Yes

❌ No

सक्छु?

Polite Request

❌ No

✅ Yes

सक्थें?

Suggestion

❌ No

✅ Yes

सक्छौं

Possibility

✅ Yes (more certain)

✅ Yes (less certain)

हुन सक्छ

Permission

✅ Yes

❌ No (very formal)

अनुमति

Past Possibility

❌ No

✅ Could have

सक्थ्यो होला


9. QUICK TIPS FOR IELTS

Speaking: Use "could" for politeness

Could I ask you a question?

Writing: Use "can" for general facts

Technology can improve education.

Writing: Use "could" for suggestions

Governments could invest in renewable energy.

Speaking: Use "could have" for regrets

I could have prepared better.

All tasks: Use "be able to" as an alternative

She is able to work under pressure.


10. DIALOGUE PRACTICE (Conversation)

English:

A: Can I ask you a question?
B: Yes, of course you can.
A: Could you please explain the grammar rule again?
B: Sure. Can you understand it now?
A: Yes, I can. I couldn't understand it before, but now I can.
B: That's great! You could practice more at home.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

6th Day Complete Guide to "Must" and "Ought To" in English

 6th Day  Complete Guide to "Must" and "Ought To" in English 1. MUST - प्रयोग र नियमहरू A. Strong Obligation ( बलि...