Day 3 Complete Guide to "Will" and "Would" in English
Here is a comprehensive
guide on the use of "Will" and "Would"
in various situations, with rules, tips, and examples in both English and
Nepali.
1. WILL - प्रयोग र नियमहरू
A. Future Predictions (भविष्यको भविष्यवाणी / हुनेछ)
Used to talk about
what we think will happen in the future.
|
Prediction |
Will +
Verb (Base Form) |
It will rain tomorrow. |
भोलि पानी पर्नेछ। |
|
Future Event |
Will +
Verb (Base Form) |
She will become a doctor. |
उनी डाक्टर बन्नेछिन्। |
|
Certainty |
Will +
Verb (Base Form) |
He will arrive at 5 PM. |
उनी ५
बजे आइपुग्नेछन्। |
More Examples:
- English: The population will increase significantly by 2050.
- Nepali: २०५० सम्म जनसंख्या उल्लेखनीय रूपमा बढ्नेछ।
- English: Technology will continue to evolve.
- Nepali: प्रविधि विकसित हुँदै जानेछ।
B. Spontaneous Decisions (अचानक निर्णय / गर्नेछु)
Used for decisions
made at the moment of speaking.
|
Instant Decision |
Will +
Verb (Base Form) |
I'm
hungry. I will make a sandwich. |
मलाई भोक
लाग्यो।
म
स्यान्डविच बनाउनेछु। |
|
Offer |
Will +
Verb (Base Form) |
I will help you with that. |
म त्यसमा
तपाईंलाई सहायता गर्नेछु। |
More Examples:
- English: The phone is ringing. I will answer it.
- Nepali: फोन बजिरहेको छ। म उठाउनेछु।
- English: Don't worry, I will pay for dinner.
- Nepali: चिन्ता नलिनुहोस्, म खानाको पैसा तिर्नेछु।
C. Promises (प्रतिज्ञा / गर्नेछु)
Used to make
promises.
|
Promise |
Will +
Verb (Base Form) |
I will call you tomorrow. |
म भोलि
तपाईंलाई फोन गर्नेछु। |
|
Assurance |
Will +
Verb (Base Form) |
I will never forget this. |
म यो कहिल्यै बिर्सने छैन। |
More Examples:
- English: I will
always love you.
- Nepali: म तिमीलाई सधैं माया गर्नेछु।
- English: We will
complete the project on time.
- Nepali: हामी परियोजना समयमै सक्नेछौं।
D. Offers (प्रस्ताव / दिनेछु)
Used to offer help or
services.
|
Offering Help |
Will +
Verb (Base Form) |
I will carry that for you. |
म त्यो
तपाईंको
लागि बोकिदिनेछु। |
|
Making Offer |
Will +
Verb (Base Form) |
We will send you the details. |
हामी तपाईंलाई
विवरण पठाउनेछौं। |
More Examples:
- English: I will
get you some water.
- Nepali: म तपाईंलाई पानी ल्याइदिनेछु।
- English: We will
arrange a meeting for you.
- Nepali: हामी तपाईंको लागि बैठक व्यवस्था गर्नेछौं।
E. Refusals (इन्कार / गर्नेछैन)
Used to express
unwillingness.
|
Refusal |
Will not /
Won't + Verb |
She won't listen to me. |
उनी मेरो सुन्नेछिनन्। |
|
Unwillingness |
Will not /
Won't + Verb |
He won't accept the offer. |
उनी प्रस्ताव स्वीकार गर्नेछैनन्। |
More Examples:
- English: The car won't
start.
- Nepali: गाडी सुरु हुनेछैन।
- English: They won't
agree to the terms.
- Nepali: उनीहरू सर्तहरूमा सहमत हुनेछैनन्।
F. Requests (अनुरोध / गर्नुहुन्छ?)
Used to make polite
requests.
|
Polite Request |
Will you +
Verb? |
Will you please help me? |
के तपाईं
मलाई सहायता गर्नुहुन्छ? |
|
Asking Favour |
Will you +
Verb? |
Will you open the window? |
के तपाईं
झ्याल खोल्नुहुन्छ? |
More Examples:
- English: Will you pass me the salt?
- Nepali: के तपाईं मलाई नुन दिनुहुन्छ?
- English: Will you wait for me?
- Nepali: के तपाईं मेरो लागि पर्खनुहुन्छ?
G. Facts & General Truths (तथ्य / हुनेछ)
Used to state facts
or things that are always true.
|
Fact |
Will +
Verb (Base Form) |
Water will boil at 100°C. |
पानी १००°C
मा उम्लनेछ। |
|
General Truth |
Will +
Verb (Base Form) |
People will always need food. |
मानिसहरूलाई सधैं खाना चाहिनेछ। |
More Examples:
- English: The sun will
rise in the east.
- Nepali: सूर्य पूर्वमा उदाउनेछ।
- English: Hard work will
pay off.
- Nepali: कडा परिश्रम फलदायी हुनेछ।
2. WOULD - प्रयोग र नियमहरू
A. Past Habits (भूतकालको बानी / गर्थे)
Used to talk about
repeated actions or habits in the past.
|
Past Habit |
Would +
Verb (Base Form) |
When I was
young, I would play cricket every day. |
म जवान
हुँदा हरेक दिन
क्रिकेट खेल्थे। |
|
Repeated Action |
Would +
Verb (Base Form) |
She would always wake up early. |
उनी सधैं चाँडै उठ्थिन्। |
More Examples:
- English: My grandfather would tell us stories every night.
- Nepali: मेरो हजुरबुबा हरेक राति हामीलाई कथा सुनाउनुहुन्थ्यो।
- English: We would
go to the beach every summer.
- Nepali: हामी हरेक गर्मीमा समुद्रतट जान्थ्यौं।
B. Polite Requests (विनम्र अनुरोध / गर्नुहुन्थ्यो?)
Used for more formal
or polite requests.
|
Polite Request |
Would you
+ Verb? |
Would you please close the door? |
के तपाईं
ढोका बन्द गर्नुहुन्थ्यो? |
|
Very Polite |
Would you
mind + Verb+ing? |
Would you mind opening the window? |
के तपाईं
झ्याल खोलिदिनुहुन्थ्यो? |
More Examples:
- English: Would you help me with this bag?
- Nepali: के तपाईं मलाई यो झोला बोकिदिनुहुन्थ्यो?
- English: Would you mind waiting for a moment?
- Nepali: के तपाईं एक क्षण पर्खनुहुन्थ्यो?
C. Preferences (रुचि / मन पराउँथे)
Used with
"like" to talk about preferences.
|
Preference |
Would like
+ To + Verb |
I would like to visit Japan. |
म जापान जान चाहन्छु। |
|
Preference |
Would
rather + Verb |
I would rather stay home. |
म घरमै बस्न
चाहन्छु। |
More Examples:
- English: I would like a cup of coffee.
- Nepali: म एक कप कफी चाहन्छु।
- English: She would prefer to work alone.
- Nepali: उनी एक्लै काम गर्न रुचाउँछिन्।
D. Hypothetical Situations (काल्पनिक परिस्थिति / हुन्थ्यो)
Used in unreal or
imaginary situations.
|
Imaginary Present |
Would +
Verb (Base Form) |
If I were
rich, I would travel the world. |
म धनी
भए,
म
संसार घुम्थें। |
|
Unreal Situation |
Would +
Verb (Base Form) |
If I knew
the answer, I would tell
you. |
मलाई जवाफ
थाहा
भए,
म भन्थें। |
More Examples:
- English: I would buy that car if I had money.
- Nepali: मसँग पैसा भए, म त्यो गाडी किन्थें।
- English: She would come if she were free.
- Nepali: उनी फुर्सत भए आउँथिन्।
E. Offers & Invitations (प्रस्ताव र निमन्त्रण / गर्नुहुन्थ्यो?)
Used for polite
offers and invitations.
|
Polite Offer |
Would you
like + To + Verb |
Would you like to join us? |
के तपाईं
हामीसँग सामेल हुन चाहनुहुन्छ? |
|
Invitation |
Would you
like + Noun |
Would you like some tea? |
के तपाईं
चिया लिनुहुन्थ्यो? |
More Examples:
- English: Would you like to go for a walk?
- Nepali: के तपाईं घुम्न जान चाहनुहुन्छ?
- English: Would you like more food?
- Nepali: के तपाईं थप खाना लिनुहुन्थ्यो?
F. Advice / Recommendations (सुझाव / हुन्थ्यो)
Used to give polite
advice.
|
Advice |
I would +
Verb |
I would suggest you study
harder. |
म तपाईंलाई कडा अध्ययन गर्न सुझाव
दिन्छु। |
|
Recommendation |
I would +
Verb |
I would advise you to apply
early. |
म तपाईंलाई चाँडै आवेदन गर्न सल्लाह
दिन्छु। |
More Examples:
- English: I would avoid that restaurant.
- Nepali: म त्यो रेस्टुरेन्ट
बेवास्ता गर्न सुझाव दिन्छु।
- English: I would not do that if I were you.
- Nepali: म तपाईंको ठाउँमा भए, त्यो गर्दिनथें।
G. "Would" in Reported Speech (अप्रत्यक्ष कथन / भने)
Used to report what
someone said.
|
Reported Speech |
Would +
Verb (Base Form) |
He said he
would come. |
उनले आउने भने। |
|
Reported Future |
Would +
Verb (Base Form) |
She told
me she would help. |
उनले सहायता गर्ने
बताइन्। |
More Examples:
- English: They promised they would finish on time.
- Nepali: उनीहरूले समयमै सक्ने प्रतिज्ञा
गरे।
- English: He said he would call me.
- Nepali: उनले मलाई फोन गर्ने भने।
H. "Would" for Probability (सम्भावना / हुन्थ्यो होला)
Used to express
uncertain probability.
|
Probability |
Would +
Verb (Base Form) |
That would be his house. |
त्यो उनको
घर हुन्थ्यो होला। |
|
Likely Situation |
Would +
Verb (Base Form) |
She would be at work now. |
उनी अहिले
काममा हुन्थिन् होला। |
More Examples:
- English: That would be the right answer.
- Nepali: त्यो सही जवाफ हुन्थ्यो होला।
- English: He would be about 40 years old.
- Nepali: उनी करिब ४० वर्षका हुन्थे होला।
3. QUICK COMPARISON: WILL vs WOULD
|
Future Action |
I will go. |
|
म जानेछु। |
|
Past Habit |
|
I would play. |
म खेल्थे। |
|
Polite Request |
Will you help? |
Would you help? (more polite) |
के तपाईं सहायता गर्नुहुन्छ? |
|
Hypothetical |
|
If I
were..., I would |
यदि..., म हुन्थें। |
|
Promise |
I will do it. |
|
म गर्नेछु। |
|
Offer |
I will get it. |
Would you like it? (more polite) |
म ल्याउनेछु। |
|
Prediction |
It will rain. |
It would rain (doubtful) |
पानी पर्नेछ। |
|
Refusal |
I won't go. |
I wouldn't go (less direct) |
म जान्न। |
4. COMMON MISTAKES (नेपाली विद्यार्थीहरूले गर्ने गल्तीहरू)
|
Mistake ❌Correction ✅Explanation |
||
|
I will to go. |
I will go. |
"Will"
+ Base Form (no "to") |
|
She will went. |
She will go. |
"Will"
+ Base Form |
|
He would went. |
He would go. |
"Would"
+ Base Form |
|
If I am
rich, I would travel. |
If I were rich, I would travel. |
Use were (subjunctive) |
|
I will like some tea. |
I would like some tea. |
"Would
like" for preferences |
|
He said he
will come. |
He said he
would come. |
Reported
speech changes to would |
Golden Rule:
Will/Would + Verb (Base Form) → No
"to", no past form.
✅ I will go.
✅ She would help.
✅ They will arrive.
5. WILL vs WOULD: DETAILED COMPARISON WITH EXAMPLES
A. Requests (अनुरोध)
|
Polite Request |
Will you help me? |
Would you help me? (more polite) |
के तपाईं सहायता गर्नुहुन्छ? |
|
Very Polite |
|
Would you mind... |
के तपाईं आपत्ति गर्नुहुन्थ्यो? |
B. Offers (प्रस्ताव)
|
Offer Help |
I will carry this. |
Would you like me to carry this? |
म बोकिदिन्छु।
/ बोकिदिऊँ? |
|
Offer Food |
|
Would you like tea? |
के तपाईं
चिया लिनुहुन्थ्यो? |
C. Predictions (भविष्यवाणी)
|
Certain Prediction |
It will rain. |
It would rain (less certain) |
पानी पर्नेछ। |
|
Future Event |
The
meeting will start at 10. |
|
बैठक १०
बजे सुरु हुनेछ। |
D. Habits (बानी)
|
Present Habit |
He will always complain. |
|
उनी सधैं गुनासो गर्छन्। |
|
Past Habit |
|
He would play daily. |
उनी दैनिक खेल्थे। |
6. ADVANCED STRUCTURES WITH WILL & WOULD
A. Future Continuous (Will be + V+ing)
|
Will be +
V+ing |
I will be waiting for you. |
म तपाईंको
लागि पर्खिरहेको हुनेछु। |
|
Will be +
V+ing |
She will be studying at 8 PM. |
उनी ८
बजे पढिरहेकी हुनेछिन्। |
B. Future Perfect (Will have + V3)
|
Will have
+ V3 |
I will have finished by 6 PM. |
म ६
बजे
सम्म सकिसकेको हुनेछु। |
|
Will have
+ V3 |
They will have arrived by now. |
उनीहरू अहिले
सम्म आइपुगिसकेका हुनेछन्। |
C. Would Like (रुचि)
|
Would like
+ To + V |
I would like to visit Nepal. |
म नेपाल घुम्न चाहन्छु। |
|
Would like
+ Noun |
I would like a coffee. |
म कफी चाहन्छु। |
D. Would Rather (बरु / मन पर्छ)
|
Would
rather + V |
I would rather stay home. |
म बरु घरमै
बस्न
चाहन्छु। |
|
Would
rather + V |
She would rather walk. |
उनी बरु हिड्न
चाहन्छिन्। |
E. Would Have + V3 (Unreal Past)
|
Would have
+ V3 |
I would have called you. |
म तपाईंलाई फोन गर्थें होला। |
|
Would have
+ V3 |
She would have passed if she
studied. |
उनी पढेको
भए पास हुन्थिन् होला। |
F. Will Have + V3 (Future Perfect)
|
Will have
+ V3 |
By 2025, I
will have graduated. |
२०२५ सम्म
म स्नातक सकिसकेको हुनेछु। |
|
Will have
+ V3 |
She will have finished the
report. |
उनी रिपोर्ट सकिसकेकी हुनेछिन्। |
7. TIPS FOR IELTS USING WILL/WOULD
|
Tip Example |
|
|
Speaking Part 2: Use "would" for past
habits |
When I was
young, I would play every day. |
|
Writing Task 2: Use "will" for
predictions |
This
policy will reduce pollution. |
|
Writing Task 2: Use "would" for
suggestions |
Governments
would benefit from investing
more. |
|
Speaking Part 3: Use "would" for
hypothetical |
If people
used less plastic, it would help. |
|
Writing Task 1: Use "will" for future
projections |
By 2030,
the number will reach
50%. |
|
Speaking Part 1: Use "would like" for
preferences |
I would like to pursue higher
education. |
8. CONDITIONAL SENTENCES WITH WILL & WOULD
|
Type Form Example Nepali |
|||
|
Zero Conditional |
If +
Present, Present |
If you
heat ice, it will melt. |
यदि तपाईं
बरफ
तताउनुहुन्छ,
यो पग्लिनेछ। |
|
First Conditional |
If +
Present, Will |
If it
rains, I will stay home. |
यदि पानी
पर्यो,
म घरमै बस्नेछु। |
|
Second Conditional |
If + Past,
Would |
If I had
money, I would travel. |
मसँग पैसा
भए,
म घुम्थें। |
|
Third Conditional |
If + Past
Perf, Would have |
If I had
studied, I would have
passed. |
मैले पढेको
भए,
म पास हुन्थें। |
9. PRACTICE EXERCISES
Exercise 1: Fill in the blanks with Will or
Would
|
I ______
call you tomorrow. |
म भोलि
तपाईंलाई
फोन गर्नेछु। |
|
|
If I were
you, I ______ accept the offer. |
म तपाईंको
ठाउँमा
भए,
प्रस्ताव स्वीकार गर्थें। |
|
|
She ______
always help others. (Past) |
उनी सधैं
अरूलाई
सहायता गर्थिन्। |
|
|
______ you
like some tea? |
के तपाईं
चिया लिनुहुन्थ्यो? |
|
|
I promise
I ______ never lie to you. |
म वाचा
गर्छु,
म
तपाईंलाई
कहिल्यै झूट बोल्दिन। |
|
|
If I win
the lottery, I ______ buy a house. |
यदि म
लटरी
जिते,
म
घर किन्थें। |
|
|
He said he
______ come to the party. |
उनले पार्टीमा आउने भने। |
|
|
The
meeting ______ start at 10 AM. |
बैठक १०
बजे सुरु हुनेछ। |
Exercise 2: Choose the correct answer
|
"I
______ like to visit Paris." |
a) will b)
would |
म पेरिस घुम्न चाहन्छु। |
|
"If
it rains, we ______ cancel the trip." |
a) would
b) will |
यदि पानी
पर्यो,
हामी
यात्रा रद्द गर्नेछौं। |
|
"When
I was a child, I ______ play football." |
a) will b)
would |
म बाल्यकालमा
फुटबल खेल्थें। |
|
"______
you please open the door?" |
a) Will b)
Would |
के तपाईं
ढोका खोलिदिनुहुन्थ्यो? |
|
"I
promise I ______ help you." |
a) will b)
would |
म वाचा
गर्छु,
म
तपाईंलाई सहायता गर्नेछु। |
Answers (Check Yourself):
Exercise 1:
1.
will
2.
would
3.
would
4.
Would
5.
will
6.
would
7.
would
8.
will
Exercise 2:
1.
b) would
2.
b) will
3.
b) would
4.
b) Would
5.
a) will
10. SUMMARY TABLE: WILL vs WOULD
|
Future Prediction |
✅ Yes |
❌ No |
हुनेछ |
|
Spontaneous Decision |
✅ Yes |
❌ No |
गर्नेछु |
|
Promise |
✅ Yes |
❌ No |
गर्नेछु |
|
Past Habit |
❌ No |
✅ Yes |
गर्थे |
|
Polite Request |
✅ Yes |
✅ Yes (more polite) |
गर्नुहुन्छ? |
|
Preference |
❌ No (except "will like") |
✅ Yes |
रुचाउँछु |
|
Hypothetical |
❌ No |
✅ Yes |
हुन्थ्यो |
|
Offer (Food/Items) |
✅ Yes (I will get) |
✅ Yes (Would you like?) |
लिनुहुन्थ्यो? |
|
Reported Speech |
❌ No |
✅ Yes |
भने |
|
Probability |
✅ Yes (certain) |
✅ Yes (less certain) |
हुन सक्छ |
11. DIALOGUE PRACTICE (Conversation)
English:
A: I will go to the market. Do you need
anything?
B: Yes, would you mind buying some
vegetables?
A: Of course, I will get them. What would
you like?
B: I would like some tomatoes and potatoes.
A: If they are expensive, I will buy fewer.
B: Good idea. When I was a child, I would go
to the market with my mother.
A: Really? I will come back soon. Will
you be here?
B: Yes, I will wait for you. Would
you like some tea when you return?
A: That would be wonderful!
12. QUICK REMINDER CARD
|
Will =Would = |
|
|
✅ Future Predictions |
✅ Past Habits |
|
✅ Promises |
✅ Polite Requests |
|
✅ Spontaneous Decisions |
✅ Hypothetical Situations |
|
✅ Offers |
✅ Preferences (Would like) |
|
✅ Refusals (Won't) |
✅ Advice/Recommendations |
|
✅ Requests (Less polite) |
✅ Reported Speech |
|
✅ Certainty |
✅ Less Certainty |
No comments:
Post a Comment