Day 10 Complete Guide to "Have," "Has," and "Had" in English
1. HAVE / HAS - Present Tense (वर्तमान काल)
A. Possession (स्वामित्व / छ / हो)
Used to show that
someone owns or possesses something.
|
I / You / We / They |
Have |
I have a car. |
मसँग एउटा
गाडी छ। |
|
He / She / It |
Has |
She has a beautiful house. |
उनको एउटा
सुन्दर
घर छ। |
More Examples:
- English: We have two children.
- Nepali: हाम्रा दुई सन्तान छन्।
- English: He has a new phone.
- Nepali: उनको नयाँ फोन छ।
- English: They have a big garden.
- Nepali: उनीहरूको ठूलो बगैंचा छ।
B. Relationships (सम्बन्ध / छ)
Used to talk about
relationships with people.
|
I / You / We / They |
Have |
I have a brother. |
मेरो एउटा
भाइ छ। |
|
He / She / It |
Has |
She has two sisters. |
उनका दुई
बहिनीहरू छन्। |
More Examples:
- English: They have many friends.
- Nepali: उनीहरूका धेरै साथीहरू छन्।
- English: He has a large family.
- Nepali: उनको ठूलो परिवार छ।
C. Actions / Activities (क्रियाहरू / गर्नु)
Used with certain
nouns to describe actions.
|
I / You / We / They |
Have |
I have breakfast at 8 AM. |
म ८
बजे
बिहानको
खाना खान्छु। |
|
He / She / It |
Has |
She has a shower every morning. |
उनी हरेक
बिहान
नुहाउँछिन्। |
More Examples:
- English: We have a meeting today.
- Nepali: हामीले आज बैठक गर्ने छौं।
- English: He has a cup of coffee every day.
- Nepali: उनी हरेक दिन एक कप कफी पिउँछन्।
D. Experience (अनुभव / भएको छ)
Used to talk about
experiences (often with "ever," "never,"
"before").
|
I / You / We / They |
Have + V3 |
I have been to Japan. |
म जापान गएको छु। |
|
He / She / It |
Has + V3 |
She has never eaten sushi. |
उनले कहिल्यै
सुशी खाएको छैन। |
More Examples:
- English: They have seen that movie before.
- Nepali: उनीहरूले त्यो चलचित्र पहिले नै हेरेका छन्।
- English: He has worked in this company for 5 years.
- Nepali: उनले यस कम्पनीमा ५ वर्षदेखि काम गरिरहेका छन्।
E. Present Perfect Tense (Present Perfect - पूर्ण वर्तमान काल)
Used to describe past
actions with present relevance.
|
I / You / We / They |
Have + V3 |
I have finished my homework. |
मैले गृहकार्य सकेको छु। |
|
He / She / It |
Has + V3 |
She has left the office. |
उनी कार्यालयबाट गइसकेकी छिन्। |
More Examples:
- English: We have already eaten dinner.
- Nepali: हामीले खाना पहिले नै खाइसकेका छौं।
- English: He has just arrived.
- Nepali: उनी भर्खरै आइपुग्नुभएको
छ।
2. HAD - Past Tense (भूतकाल)
A. Possession in the Past (भूतकालको स्वामित्व / थियो)
Used to show that
someone owned or possessed something in the past.
|
All Subjects |
Had |
I had a car when I was young. |
म जवान
हुँदा
मसँग
एउटा
गाडी थियो। |
|
All Subjects |
Had |
She had a beautiful house. |
उनको एउटा
सुन्दर
घर थियो। |
More Examples:
- English: We had a dog when we lived in the village.
- Nepali: हामी गाउँमा बस्दा एउटा कुकुर थियो।
- English: He had a lot of money before.
- Nepali: पहिले उनसँग धेरै पैसा थियो।
B. Past Perfect Tense (Past Perfect - पूर्ण भूतकाल)
Used to describe an
action completed BEFORE another past action.
|
All Subjects |
Had + V3 |
I had finished my work before
he came. |
उनी आउनु
अघि
मैले
काम सकेको थिएँ। |
|
All Subjects |
Had + V3 |
She had left by the time I
arrived. |
म पुग्दा
उनी गइसकेकी थिइन्। |
More Examples:
- English: We had already eaten when they arrived.
- Nepali: उनीहरू आउँदा हामीले खाना पहिले नै खाइसकेका थियौं।
- English: He had never seen such a beautiful place before.
- Nepali: उनले यति सुन्दर ठाउँ पहिले कहिल्यै देखेका थिएनन्।
C. Past Experience (भूतकालको अनुभव / थियो)
Used to talk about
experiences or states in the past.
|
All Subjects |
Had |
I had a great time at the
party. |
मैले पार्टीमा
धेरै
रमाइलो गरें। |
|
All Subjects |
Had |
They had a difficult childhood. |
उनीहरूको बाल्यकाल
कठिन थियो। |
More Examples:
- English: She had a headache yesterday.
- Nepali: उनलाई हिजो टाउको दुख्यो थियो।
- English: We had a meeting with the manager.
- Nepali: हामीले व्यवस्थापकसँग बैठक गर्यौं।
D. Past Obligation - Had to (भूतकालको अनिवार्यता / गर्नु पर्यो)
Used to express
obligation in the past.
|
All Subjects |
Had to + V |
I had to work late yesterday. |
मैले हिजो
ढिलो
सम्म काम गर्नु
पर्यो। |
|
All Subjects |
Had to + V |
She had to take a taxi. |
उनले ट्याक्सी चढ्नु पर्यो। |
More Examples:
- English: We had to cancel our trip.
- Nepali: हामीले यात्रा रद्द गर्नु पर्यो।
- English: He had to apologize for his mistake.
- Nepali: उनले आफ्नो गल्तीको लागि माफी माग्नु पर्यो।
3. QUICK COMPARISON: HAVE vs HAS vs HAD
|
I |
I have a car. |
I had a car. |
मसँग गाडी छ / थियो। |
|
You |
You have a car. |
You had a car. |
तपाईंसँग गाडी छ / थियो। |
|
We |
We have a car. |
We had a car. |
हामीसँग गाडी छ / थियो। |
|
They |
They have a car. |
They had a car. |
उनीहरूसँग गाडी छ / थियो। |
|
He |
He has a car. |
He had a car. |
उनको गाडी छ / थियो। |
|
She |
She has a car. |
She had a car. |
उनको गाडी छ / थियो। |
|
It |
It has a screen. |
It had a screen. |
यसको स्क्रिन छ / थियो। |
4. COMMON MISTAKES (नेपाली विद्यार्थीहरूले गर्ने गल्तीहरू)
|
Mistake ❌Correction ✅Explanation |
||
|
I has a car. |
I have a car. |
Use
"have" with "I" |
|
She have a car. |
She has a car. |
Use
"has" with "she" |
|
They has a car. |
They have a car. |
Use
"have" with "they" |
|
I had went to school. |
I had gone to school. |
Past
Perfect = Had + V3 |
|
She have gone. |
She has gone. |
Use
"has" with "she" |
|
We has arrived. |
We have arrived. |
Use
"have" with "we" |
|
I have a problem yesterday. |
I had a problem yesterday. |
Use
"had" for past |
|
He has a meeting tomorrow. |
He has a meeting tomorrow.
(Correct) |
Use
"has" for present/future |
Golden Rules:
|
Rule Example |
|
|
I/You/We/They → Have |
✅ I have a book. / They have arrived. |
|
He/She/It → Has |
✅ She has a book. / He has arrived. |
|
Past (All subjects) → Had |
✅ I had a book. / She had arrived. |
|
Have/Has + V3 = Present Perfect |
✅ I have finished. / She has gone. |
|
Had + V3 = Past Perfect |
✅ I had finished. / She had gone. |
5. HAVE vs HAS: DETAILED COMPARISON
|
I |
✅ Have |
❌ No |
I have a pen. |
मसँग कलम छ। |
|
You |
✅ Have |
❌ No |
You have a pen. |
तपाईंसँग कलम छ। |
|
We |
✅ Have |
❌ No |
We have a pen. |
हामीसँग कलम छ। |
|
They |
✅ Have |
❌ No |
They have a pen. |
उनीहरूसँग कलम छ। |
|
He |
❌ No |
✅ Has |
He has a pen. |
उनको कलम छ। |
|
She |
❌ No |
✅ Has |
She has a pen. |
उनको कलम छ। |
|
It |
❌ No |
✅ Has |
It has a screen. |
यसको स्क्रिन छ। |
6. HAVE / HAS / HAD AS HELPING VERBS
A. Present Perfect Tense (Have/Has + V3)
|
I/You/We/They |
Have + V3 |
We have eaten. |
हामीले खाएका छौं। |
|
He/She/It |
Has + V3 |
She has eaten. |
उनले खाएकी छिन्। |
B. Past Perfect Tense (Had + V3)
|
All
Subjects |
Had + V3 |
I had eaten before he came. |
उनी आउनु
अघि
मैले खाइसकेको थिएँ। |
|
All
Subjects |
Had + V3 |
She had gone by then. |
उनी तब
सम्म गइसकेकी थिइन्। |
C. Present Perfect Continuous (Have/Has +
Been + V+ing)
|
I/You/We/They |
Have been
+ V+ing |
We have been waiting for hours. |
हामी घण्टौंदेखि पर्खिरहेका छौं। |
|
He/She/It |
Has been +
V+ing |
She has been studying all day. |
उनी दिनभर पढिरहेकी छिन्। |
D. Past Perfect Continuous (Had + Been +
V+ing)
|
All
Subjects |
Had been +
V+ing |
I had been working for 5 hours
when he called. |
उनले फोन
गर्दा
म
५
घण्टा काम गरिरहेको
थिएँ। |
7. ADVANCED STRUCTURES WITH HAVE / HAS / HAD
A. Have/Has/Had + Got (Possession -
Informal)
|
Have got +
Noun |
I have got a new car. |
मसँग नयाँ
गाडी छ। |
|
Has got +
Noun |
She has got a beautiful voice. |
उनको सुन्दर
स्वर छ। |
|
Had got +
Noun |
I had got a letter yesterday. |
मलाई हिजो
एउटा
पत्र आएको थियो। |
B. Have/Has/Had + To + Verb (Obligation)
|
Have to +
V |
I have to go now. |
म अहिले जानु पर्छ। |
|
Has to + V |
She has to study. |
उनले पढ्नु पर्छ। |
|
Had to + V |
I had to go yesterday. |
म हिजो जानु पर्यो। |
C. Have + Object + V3 (Causative - गराउनु)
|
Have +
Object + V3 |
I have my car washed. |
म आफ्नो
गाडी धुँउ। |
|
Has +
Object + V3 |
She has her hair cut every month. |
उनी हरेक
महिना
कपाल काट्छिन्। |
|
Had +
Object + V3 |
I had my phone repaired. |
मैले फोन मर्मत गराएँ। |
D. Have/Has/Had + Something + Done (Passive
Causative)
|
Have +
Object + V3 |
I have my house painted every year. |
म हरेक
वर्ष
घर रङ गराउँछु। |
|
Had +
Object + V3 |
He had his car fixed yesterday. |
उनले हिजो
गाडी मर्मत गराए। |
8. TIPS FOR IELTS USING HAVE, HAS, HAD
|
Tip Example |
|
|
Writing Task 2: Use "have/has" for
present perfect |
Many
people have benefited from
education. |
|
Writing Task 2: Use "had" for past
perfect |
Before
industrialization, people had lived
differently. |
|
Writing Task 1: Use "have/has" to
describe trends |
The number
has increased significantly. |
|
Speaking Part 2: Use "have/has" for
experiences |
I have visited many countries. |
|
Speaking Part 3: Use "had" for past
experiences |
I had a similar experience. |
|
Avoid confusion: Use the correct form based on the
subject |
She has (not "have") /
They have (not "has") |
9. EXAMPLES IN DIFFERENT CONTEXTS
A. IELTS Writing Task 2 (Essay)
English:
Education
has played a crucial role in society. Many countries have
invested heavily in their education systems. In the past, people had
limited access to education. However, technology has changed
this situation dramatically. Students now have access to vast
resources online. Governments have realized the importance of
lifelong learning. I have always believed that education is
the key to success. In the future, we will have even more
opportunities.
Nepali:
शिक्षाले समाजमा महत्वपूर्ण भूमिका निभाएको छ। धेरै देशहरूले आफ्नो शिक्षा प्रणालीमा ठूलो लगानी गरेका छन्। विगतमा, मानिसहरूको शिक्षामा सीमित पहुँच थियो। यद्यपि, प्रविधिले यो अवस्थालाई नाटकीय रूपमा परिवर्तन गरेको छ। विद्यार्थीहरूसँग
अहिले अनलाइनमा विशाल संसाधनहरू छन्। सरकारहरूले आजीवन सिकाइको महत्व महसुस गरेका छन्। म सधैं विश्वास गर्छु कि शिक्षा सफलताको कुञ्जी हो। भविष्यमा, हामीसँग अझै धेरै अवसरहरू हुनेछन्।
B. IELTS Speaking Part 2 (Cue Card)
English:
I
would like to talk about a memorable trip that I have ever
taken. I have been to many places, but the most memorable trip
was to the mountains. I had always wanted to see the
Himalayas. Last year, I had the opportunity to go there. I had
planned this trip for months. When I arrived, I had never seen
such beautiful scenery. The experience has changed my
perspective on life. I have learned that nature is the best
healer. I have also made some wonderful friends during that
trip. Now, I have a deep appreciation for our natural world.
Nepali:
म आफूले गरेको यादगार यात्राको बारेमा कुरा गर्न चाहन्छु। म धेरै ठाउँहरू गएको छु, तर सबैभन्दा यादगार यात्रा पहाडको यात्रा थियो। म सधैं हिमालय हेर्न चाहन्थें। गत वर्ष, मलाई त्यहाँ जाने अवसर मिल्यो। मैले महिनौंसम्म यो यात्राको योजना बनाएको थिएँ। म पुग्दा, मैले यति सुन्दर दृश्य कहिल्यै देखेको थिएन। यस अनुभवले मेरो जीवनको दृष्टिकोण परिवर्तन गरेको छ। मैले सिकेको छु कि प्रकृति सबैभन्दा राम्रो निको पार्ने हो। मैले त्यो यात्रामा केही राम्रा साथीहरू पनि बनाएको छु। अहिले, मलाई हाम्रो प्राकृतिक संसारको गहिरो कदर छ।
C. Everyday Conversations (दैनिक कुराकानी)
English:
A: Do you have any siblings?
B: Yes, I have two brothers. Do you have
any?
A: Yes, I have one sister.
B: Has she visited you recently?
A: No, she has been busy with her work.
B: I had a sister too, but she moved abroad.
A: Oh, that must be difficult. Have you visited her?
B: Yes, I have visited her twice.
A: Have you ever lived abroad?
B: No, I have never lived abroad. But I have
always wanted to.
Nepali:
A: के तपाईंको कोही दाजुभाइ वा दिदीबहिनी छ?
B: हो, मेरा दुई भाइ छन्। तपाईंको छ?
A: हो, मेरो एउटी बहिनी छ।
B: के उनीले हालै तपाईंलाई भेट्न आएकी छिन्?
A: होइन, उनी आफ्नो काममा व्यस्त भएकी छिन्।
B: मेरो पनि एउटी बहिनी थिइन्, तर उनी विदेश गइन्।
A: ओहो, त्यो गाह्रो भएको होला। के तपाईंले उनलाई भेट्न गएको?
B: हो, मैले उनलाई दुई पटक भेटेको छु।
A: के तपाईं कहिल्यै विदेश बस्नुभएको छ?
B: होइन, म कहिल्यै विदेश बसेको छैन। तर म सधैं चाहन्थें।
D. Formal Writing (औपचारिक लेखन)
English:
The
company has announced its new policy. All employees have
received the notification. The management has decided to
implement the changes from next month. Staff members have been
informed about the training schedule. We have also provided a
detailed guide. Previous employees had faced similar
challenges. The company has always valued its employees'
feedback. We have made significant improvements.
Nepali:
कम्पनीले आफ्नो नयाँ नीति घोषणा गरेको छ। सबै कर्मचारीहरूले सूचना प्राप्त गरेका छन्। व्यवस्थापनले अर्को महिनादेखि परिवर्तनहरू लागू गर्न निर्णय गरेको छ। कर्मचारीहरूलाई
तालिमको तालिकाको बारेमा जानकारी गराइएको छ। हामीले एउटा विस्तृत गाइड पनि प्रदान गरेका छौं। अघिल्ला कर्मचारीहरूले समान चुनौतीहरू सामना गरेका थिए। कम्पनीले सधैं आफ्ना कर्मचारीहरूको प्रतिक्रियालाई
मूल्य दिएको छ। हामीले उल्लेखनीय सुधारहरू गरेका छौं।
10. PRACTICE EXERCISES
Exercise 1: Fill in the blanks with Have or
Has
|
I ______ a
beautiful car. |
मसँग एउटा
सुन्दर
गाडी छ। |
|
|
She ______
two brothers. |
उनका दुई
भाइ छन्। |
|
|
We ______
many friends. |
हाम्रा धेरै
साथी छन्। |
|
|
He ______
a new phone. |
उनको नयाँ
फोन छ। |
|
|
They
______ a big house. |
उनीहरूको ठूलो
घर छ। |
|
|
It ______
a beautiful color. |
यसको सुन्दर
रङ छ। |
Exercise 2: Fill in the blanks with Have,
Has, or Had
|
I ______ a
problem yesterday. |
मलाई हिजो
समस्या थियो। |
|
|
She ______
a new car now. |
उनको अहिले
नयाँ
गाडी छ। |
|
|
We ______
dinner when they arrived. |
उनीहरू आउँदा
हामीले
खाना खाइसकेका थियौं। |
|
|
He ______
never been to Japan. |
उनी कहिल्यै
जापान गएका छैनन्। |
|
|
I ______
already finished my homework. |
मैले गृहकार्य
पहिले
नै सकेको छु। |
|
|
They
______ a meeting yesterday. |
उनीहरूले हिजो
बैठक गरे। |
Exercise 3: Fill in the blanks with Have/Has
+ V3 (Present Perfect)
|
I ______
(visit) many countries. |
म धेरै
देशहरू गएको छु। |
|
She ______
(never/see) such a beautiful place. |
उनले यति
सुन्दर
ठाउँ कहिल्यै देखेकी
छैनन्। |
|
We ______
(already/eat) dinner. |
हामीले खाना पहिले नै
खाइसकेका
छौं। |
|
He ______
(just/arrive). |
उनी भर्खरै आइपुग्नुभएको
छ। |
|
They
______ (live) here for 10 years. |
उनीहरू यहाँ
१०
वर्षदेखि बस्दै आएका
छन्। |
Exercise 4: Fill in the blanks with Had + V3
(Past Perfect)
|
I ______
(finish) my work before he came. |
उनी आउनु
अघि
मैले
काम सकेको थिएँ। |
|
|
She ______
(leave) by the time I arrived. |
म पुग्दा
उनी गइसकेकी थिइन्। |
|
|
We ______
(never/see) such a view. |
हामीले यस्तो
दृश्य कहिल्यै देखेका
थिएनौं। |
|
|
He ______
(already/eat) before we came. |
हामी आउनु
अघि
उनले
खाना खाइसकेका थिए। |
Exercise 5: Choose the correct answer
|
"She
______ a beautiful voice." |
a) have b)
has |
उनको सुन्दर
स्वर छ। |
|
"I
______ never been to London." |
a) have b)
has |
म कहिल्यै
लन्डन गएको छैन। |
|
"We
______ dinner at 8 PM yesterday." |
a) have b)
had |
हामीले हिजो
८
बजे
खाना खायौं। |
|
"He
______ already left when I arrived." |
a) have b)
had |
म पुग्दा
उनी
पहिले
नै गइसकेका थिए। |
|
"They
______ many problems last year." |
a) have b)
had |
उनीहरूलाई गत
वर्ष
धेरै
समस्याहरू थिए। |
|
"It
______ a beautiful garden." |
a) have b)
has |
यसको सुन्दर
बगैंचा छ। |
Answers (Check Yourself):
Exercise 1:
1.
have
2.
has
3.
have
4.
has
5.
have
6.
has
Exercise 2:
1.
had
2.
has
3.
had
4.
has
5.
have
6.
had
Exercise 3:
1.
have
visited
2.
has
never seen
3.
have
already eaten
4.
has
just arrived
5.
have
lived
Exercise 4:
1.
had
finished
2.
had
left
3.
had
never seen
4.
had
already eaten
Exercise 5:
1.
b) has
2.
a) have
3.
b) had
4.
b) had
5.
b) had
6.
b) has
11. SUMMARY TABLE: HAVE / HAS / HAD
|
Present (Possession) |
I/You/We/They |
Have |
I have a car. |
मसँग गाडी छ। |
|
Present (Possession) |
He/She/It |
Has |
She has a car. |
उनको गाडी छ। |
|
Past (Possession) |
All
Subjects |
Had |
I had a car. |
मसँग गाडी थियो। |
|
Present Perfect |
I/You/We/They |
Have + V3 |
I have gone. |
म गएको छु। |
|
Present Perfect |
He/She/It |
Has + V3 |
She has gone. |
उनी गएकी छिन्। |
|
Past Perfect |
All
Subjects |
Had + V3 |
I had gone. |
म गएको थिएँ। |
12. QUICK TIPS FOR IELTS
|
Tip Example |
|||
|
Writing Task 2: Use "have/has" for
present perfect |
Many
people have benefited. |
||
|
Writing Task 2: Use "had" for past
perfect |
Before
2000, few had access. |
||
|
Speaking Part 2: Use "have/has" for
experiences |
I have visited many places. |
||
|
Speaking Part 3: Use "had" for past
experiences |
I had a similar experience. |
||
|
All Tasks: Check subject-verb agreement |
She has (not "have") /
They have (not "has") |
||
|
All Tasks: Use "have/has/had" as
main verbs |
I have a problem. (Possession) |
||
|
All Tasks: Use "have/has/had" as
helping verbs |
I have
finished. (Perfect tense) |
||
13. RAPID FIRE QUIZ
Fill in the
blanks:
|
I ______ a
new phone. (Present) |
|
|
She ______
a big house. (Present) |
|
|
We ______
a problem yesterday. (Past) |
|
|
He ______
never been to India. (Present Perfect) |
|
|
They
______ already left when I arrived. (Past Perfect) |
|
|
You ______
a beautiful smile. (Present) |
Answers:
1.
have
2.
has
3.
had
4.
has
5.
had
6.
have
14. FULL COMPARISON: HAVE / HAS / HAD - ALL USES
|
Possession (Present) |
I have |
She has |
- |
छ |
|
Possession (Past) |
- |
- |
I had |
थियो |
|
Action (Present) |
We have breakfast |
He has breakfast |
- |
गर्नु |
|
Action (Past) |
- |
- |
We had breakfast |
गर्यो |
|
Present Perfect |
I have gone |
She has gone |
- |
गएको छु
/ छिन् |
|
Past Perfect |
- |
- |
I had gone |
गएको थिएँ |
|
Obligation (Present) |
I have to go |
She has to go |
- |
गर्नु पर्छ |
|
Obligation (Past) |
- |
- |
I had to go |
गर्नु पर्यो |
|
Causative |
I have it done |
She has it done |
I had it done |
गराउनु |
15. COMMON COLLOCATIONS WITH HAVE / HAS / HAD
|
Have breakfast/lunch/dinner |
बिहानको/दिउँसोको/बेलुकीको
खाना खानु |
|
Have a shower/bath |
नुहाउनु |
|
Have a drink |
पिउनु |
|
Have a meeting |
बैठक गर्नु |
|
Have a holiday |
बिदा मनाउनु |
|
Have a problem |
समस्या हुनु |
|
Have a good time |
रमाइलो गर्नु |
|
Have an idea |
विचार आउनु |
|
Have a baby |
बच्चा जन्माउनु |
|
Have difficulty |
कठिनाई हुनु |
No comments:
Post a Comment