Friday, 4 September 2026

Day 9 Complete Guide to "Is," "Am," and "Are" in English

 Day 9 Complete Guide to "Is," "Am," and "Are" in English

1. AM - प्रयोग र नियमहरू

A. Present Tense of "To Be" with "I" (पहिलो व्यक्ति एकवचनको साथ वर्तमान काल)

"Am" is used ONLY with the subject "I."

I

Am

I am a student.

म विद्यार्थी हुँ।

I

Am

I am happy.

म खुशी छु।

I

Am

I am at home.

म घरमा छु।

More Examples:

  • English: I am from Nepal.
  • Nepali: म नेपालबाट हुँ।
  • English: I am tired today.
  • Nepali: म आज थकित छु।
  • English: I am a teacher.
  • Nepali: म शिक्षक हुँ।

B. Present Continuous Tense with "I" (वर्तमान निरन्तर काल - पहिलो व्यक्ति)

Used to describe actions happening now with "I."

Ongoing Action

Am + V+ing

I am reading a book.

म एउटा किताब पढिरहेको छु।

Ongoing Action

Am + V+ing

I am working now.

म अहिले काम गरिरहेको छु।

More Examples:

  • English: I am studying for my exam.
  • Nepali: म मेरो परीक्षाको लागि पढिरहेको छु।
  • English: I am waiting for my friend.
  • Nepali: म मेरो साथीको लागि पर्खिरहेको छु।

C. Negative Form: Am Not (छैन / होइन)

Used to make negative sentences with "I."

Am not

I am not a student.

म विद्यार्थी होइन।

Am not

I am not tired.

म थकित छैन।

More Examples:

  • English: I am not interested in that.
  • Nepali: म त्यसमा रुचि राख्दिन।
  • English: I am not ready to go.
  • Nepali: म जानको लागि तयार छैन।

D. Question Form: Am I? (के म...?)

Used to ask questions with "I."

Am I + ...?

Am I late?

के म ढिलो हुँ?

Am I + ...?

Am I right?

के म सही हुँ?

More Examples:

  • English: Am I allowed to enter?
  • Nepali: के म भित्र पस्न पाउँछु?
  • English: Am I disturbing you?
  • Nepali: के म तपाईंलाई दिक्क गरिरहेको छु?

 

2. IS - प्रयोग र नियमहरू

A. Present Tense of "To Be" with Singular Subjects (एकवचन कर्ताको साथ वर्तमान काल)

"Is" is used with third person singular subjects (He, She, It, and singular nouns).

He

Is

He is a doctor.

उनी डाक्टर हुन्।

She

Is

She is happy.

उनी खुशी हुनुहुन्छ।

It

Is

It is a book.

यो एउटा किताब हो।

Singular Noun

Is

The cat is sleeping.

बिरालो सुतिरहेको छ।

More Examples:

  • English: My brother is a lawyer.
  • Nepali: मेरो भाइ वकील हुन्।
  • English: The weather is beautiful today.
  • Nepali: आज मौसम सुन्दर छ।
  • English: This is my house.
  • Nepali: यो मेरो घर हो।

B. Present Continuous Tense with Singular Subjects (वर्तमान निरन्तर काल - एकवचन)

Used to describe ongoing actions happening now with singular subjects.

Ongoing Action

Is + V+ing

He is reading a newspaper.

उनी अखबार पढिरहनुभएको छ।

Ongoing Action

Is + V+ing

She is cooking dinner.

उनी खाना पकाइरहनुभएको छ।

More Examples:

  • English: The baby is sleeping.
  • Nepali: बच्चा सुतिरहेको छ।
  • English: My father is working in the garden.
  • Nepali: मेरो बुबा बगैंचामा काम गरिरहनुभएको छ।

C. Passive Voice with Singular Subjects (Passive Voice - एकवचन)

Used to form present passive sentences with singular subjects.

Passive (Singular)

Is + V3

The letter is written by her.

पत्र उनले लेखिन्छ।

Passive (Singular)

Is + V3

The house is built of wood.

घर काठले निर्माण गरिन्छ।

More Examples:

  • English: The cake is made by my mother.
  • Nepali: केक मेरी आमाले बनाइन्छ।
  • English: The film is directed by a famous director.
  • Nepali: चलचित्र एक प्रसिद्ध निर्देशकले निर्देशित गरिन्छ।

D. Negative Form: Is Not / Isn't (होइन / छैन)

Used to make negative sentences with singular subjects.

Is not / Isn't

He isn't a doctor.

उनी डाक्टर होइनन्।

Is not / Isn't

She isn't happy.

उनी खुशी हुनुहुन्न।

Is not / Isn't

It isn't a book.

यो एउटा किताब होइन।

More Examples:

  • English: My car isn't working.
  • Nepali: मेरो गाडी काम गरिरहेको छैन।
  • English: This isn't my pen.
  • Nepali: यो मेरो कलम होइन।

E. Question Form: Is + Subject? (के...?)

Used to ask questions with singular subjects.

Is + He/She/It?

Is he coming?

के उनी आउँदै हुनुहुन्छ?

Is + He/She/It?

Is she at home?

के उनी घरमा हुनुहुन्छ?

Is + Singular Noun?

Is the door open?

के ढोका खुला छ?

More Examples:

  • English: Is your brother here?
  • Nepali: के तपाईंको भाइ यहाँ हुनुहुन्छ?
  • English: Is this your bag?
  • Nepali: के यो तपाईंको झोला हो?

 

3. ARE - प्रयोग र नियमहरू

A. Present Tense of "To Be" with Plural Subjects (बहुवचन कर्ताको साथ वर्तमान काल)

"Are" is used with plural subjects (We, You, They, and plural nouns).

We

Are

We are students.

हामी विद्यार्थी हौं।

You

Are

You are happy.

तपाईंहरू खुशी हुनुहुन्छ।

They

Are

They are teachers.

उनीहरू शिक्षक हुन्।

Plural Noun

Are

The cats are sleeping.

बिरालोहरू सुतिरहेका छन्।

More Examples:

  • English: We are from Nepal.
  • Nepali: हामी नेपालबाट हौं।
  • English: These are my books.
  • Nepali: यी मेरा किताबहरू हुन्।
  • English: They are very friendly.
  • Nepali: उनीहरू धेरै मिलनसार हुन्।

B. Present Continuous Tense with Plural Subjects (वर्तमान निरन्तर काल - बहुवचन)

Used to describe ongoing actions happening now with plural subjects.

Ongoing Action

Are + V+ing

We are playing football.

हामी फुटबल खेलिरहेका छौं।

Ongoing Action

Are + V+ing

They are studying for exams.

उनीहरू परीक्षाको लागि पढिरहेका छन्।

More Examples:

  • English: The children are playing in the garden.
  • Nepali: बच्चाहरू बगैंचामा खेलिरहेका छन्।
  • English: We are waiting for the bus.
  • Nepali: हामी बसको लागि पर्खिरहेका छौं।

C. Passive Voice with Plural Subjects (Passive Voice - बहुवचन)

Used to form present passive sentences with plural subjects.

Passive (Plural)

Are + V3

The books are written by him.

किताबहरू उनले लेखिन्छन्।

Passive (Plural)

Are + V3

The houses are built of brick.

घरहरू इँटाले निर्माण गरिन्छन्।

More Examples:

  • English: The cakes are made by my mother.
  • Nepali: केकहरू मेरी आमाले बनाइन्छन्।
  • English: The cars are manufactured in Japan.
  • Nepali: गाडीहरू जापानमा निर्माण गरिन्छन्।

D. Negative Form: Are Not / Aren't (होइनन् / छैनन्)

Used to make negative sentences with plural subjects.

Are not / Aren't

We aren't students.

हामी विद्यार्थी होइनौं।

Are not / Aren't

They aren't happy.

उनीहरू खुशी छैनन्।

Are not / Aren't

These aren't my books.

यी मेरा किताबहरू होइनन्।

More Examples:

  • English: We aren't ready yet.
  • Nepali: हामी अझै तयार छैनौं।
  • English: They aren't coming to the party.
  • Nepali: उनीहरू पार्टीमा आउँदै छैनन्।

E. Question Form: Are + Subject? (के...?)

Used to ask questions with plural subjects.

Are + We/You/They?

Are we late?

के हामी ढिलो हौं?

Are + We/You/They?

Are you coming?

के तपाईंहरू आउँदै हुनुहुन्छ?

Are + Plural Noun?

Are the books here?

के किताबहरू यहाँ छन्?

More Examples:

  • English: Are they at home?
  • Nepali: के उनीहरू घरमा छन्?
  • English: Are these your shoes?
  • Nepali: के यी तपाईंका जुत्ताहरू हुन्?

4. QUICK COMPARISON: IS vs AM vs ARE

SubjectAmIsAreNepali Meaning

I

✅ I am

❌ No

❌ No

म हुँ / छु

He

❌ No

✅ He is

❌ No

उनी हुनुहुन्छ

She

❌ No

✅ She is

❌ No

उनी हुनुहुन्छ

It

❌ No

✅ It is

❌ No

यो हो / छ

We

❌ No

❌ No

✅ We are

हामी हौं / छौं

You

❌ No

❌ No

✅ You are

तपाईं हुनुहुन्छ

They

❌ No

❌ No

✅ They are

उनीहरू हुन् / छन्

Singular Noun

❌ No

✅ The cat is

❌ No

बिरालो छ

Plural Noun

❌ No

❌ No

✅ The cats are

बिरालोहरू छन्


5. COMMON MISTAKES (नेपाली विद्यार्थीहरूले गर्ने गल्तीहरू)

Mistake ❌Correction ✅Explanation

I is a student.

I am a student.

Use "am" with "I"

She am happy.

She is happy.

Use "is" with "she"

They is students.

They are students.

Use "are" with "they"

We is playing.

We are playing.

Use "are" with "we"

He are a doctor.

He is a doctor.

Use "is" with "he"

You is late.

You are late.

Use "are" with "you"

The book are on the table.

The book is on the table.

Use "is" with singular noun

The books is on the table.

The books are on the table.

Use "are" with plural noun

Golden Rules:

Rule Example

I → Am

✅ I am happy.

He/She/It/Singular → Is

✅ She is happy. / The book is new.

We/You/They/Plural → Are

✅ We are happy. / The books are new.


6. DETAILED COMPARISON TABLE

I

I am

I am not

Am I?

म हुँ / छु

He

He is

He isn't

Is he?

उनी हुनुहुन्छ

She

She is

She isn't

Is she?

उनी हुनुहुन्छ

It

It is

It isn't

Is it?

यो हो / छ

We

We are

We aren't

Are we?

हामी हौं / छौं

You

You are

You aren't

Are you?

तपाईं हुनुहुन्छ

They

They are

They aren't

Are they?

उनीहरू हुन् / छन्


7. PRESENT CONTINUOUS TENSE (वर्तमान निरन्तर काल)

A. With "Am" (I)

Am + V+ing

I am eating dinner.

म खाना खाँदै छु।

Am + V+ing

I am writing a letter.

म एउटा पत्र लेख्दै छु।


B. With "Is" (He/She/It/Singular)

Is + V+ing

She is watching TV.

उनी टिभी हेर्दै हुनुहुन्छ।

Is + V+ing

The baby is crying.

बच्चा रोइरहेको छ।


C. With "Are" (We/You/They/Plural)

Are + V+ing

We are playing cricket.

हामी क्रिकेट खेल्दै छौं।

Are + V+ing

They are dancing.

उनीहरू नाच्दै छन्।


8. PRESENT PASSIVE VOICE (वर्तमान Passive Voice)

I

Am + V3

I am respected by all.

सबैले मेरो सम्मान गर्छन्।

He/She/It

Is + V3

The letter is written.

पत्र लेखिन्छ।

We/You/They

Are + V3

The books are read.

किताबहरू पढिन्छन्।


9. TIPS FOR IELTS USING IS, AM, ARE

Tip Example

Speaking Part 1: Use "am" for personal information

I am from Kathmandu.

Writing Task 1: Use "is" for singular data

The figure is 50%.

Writing Task 1: Use "are" for plural data

The numbers are increasing.

Writing Task 2: Use "is" for general facts

Education is important.

Speaking Part 2: Use "am" + V+ing for ongoing actions

I am studying for my exam.

All Tasks: Avoid confusion between is/am/are

Use the correct form based on the subject.


10. EXAMPLES IN DIFFERENT CONTEXTS

A. IELTS Writing Task 1 (Describing Graphs)

English:

The chart shows that the highest percentage is 45%. The figures for 2020 are significantly higher. There is a steady increase in the data. The numbers are projected to rise further. The trend is clearly visible. The differences between the two categories are notable. The overall pattern is consistent throughout the period.

Nepali:

चार्टले देखाउँछ कि उच्चतम प्रतिशत ४५% हो। २०२० को तथ्यांकहरू उल्लेखनीय रूपमा उच्च छन्। तथ्यांकमा स्थिर वृद्धि भएको छ। संख्याहरू अझै बढ्ने अनुमान गरिएको छ। प्रवृत्ति स्पष्ट रूपमा देखिन्छ। दुई वर्गहरू बीचको भिन्नताहरू उल्लेखनीय छन्। समग्र ढाँचा सम्पूर्ण अवधिमा स्थिर छ।


B. IELTS Writing Task 2 (Essay)

English:

Education is the foundation of a prosperous society. The benefits of education are numerous. It is essential for personal and professional growth. Many people are unaware of these advantages. However, the government is responsible for providing quality education. Students are the future of the nation. It is our duty to support them. I am confident that we can achieve this goal.

Nepali:

शिक्षा समृद्ध समाजको आधार हो। शिक्षाका फाइदाहरू धेरै छन्। यो व्यक्तिगत र व्यावसायिक वृद्धिको लागि आवश्यक छ। धेरै मानिसहरू यी फाइदाहरूबाट अनभिज्ञ छन्। यद्यपि, गुणस्तरीय शिक्षा प्रदान गर्न सरकार जिम्मेवार छ। विद्यार्थीहरू राष्ट्रको भविष्य हुन्। उनीहरूलाई सहयोग गर्नु हाम्रो कर्तव्य हो। म विश्वस्त छु कि हामी यो लक्ष्य प्राप्त गर्न सक्छौं।


C. Everyday Conversations (दैनिक कुराकानी)

English:

A: Are you from Nepal?
B: Yes, I am. I am from Kathmandu.
A: Is your family also there?
B: Yes, they are. My father is a teacher, and my mother is a doctor.
A: Are they busy?
B: Yes, they are always busy.
A: Are you a student?
B: Yes, I am. I am studying engineering.
A: Is it difficult?
B: Yes, it is very challenging. But I am enjoying it.

Nepali:

A: के तपाईं नेपालबाट हुनुहुन्छ?
B:
हो, म हुँ। म काठमाडौंबाट हुँ।
A:
के तपाईंको परिवार पनि त्यहाँ छ?
B:
हो, उनीहरू छन्। मेरो बुबा शिक्षक हुनुहुन्छ, र मेरी आमा डाक्टर हुनुहुन्छ।
A:
के उनीहरू व्यस्त हुनुहुन्छ?
B:
हो, उनीहरू सधैं व्यस्त हुनुहुन्छ।
A:
के तपाईं विद्यार्थी हुनुहुन्छ?
B:
हो, म हुँ। म इन्जिनियरिङ पढ्दै छु।
A:
के यो गाह्रो छ?
B:
हो, यो धेरै चुनौतीपूर्ण छ। तर मैले रमाइरहेको छु।


D. Formal Writing (औपचारिक लेखन)

English:

The meeting is scheduled for 10 AM. All members are requested to attend. The agenda is attached with this email. The minutes of the previous meeting are also enclosed. Please confirm if you are able to attend. The deadline for submission is Friday. The guidelines are provided in the attachment.

Nepali:

बैठक १० बजेको लागि तय गरिएको छ। सबै सदस्यहरूलाई उपस्थित हुन अनुरोध गरिन्छ। कार्यसूची यस इमेलको साथ संलग्न गरिएको छ। अघिल्लो बैठकको कार्यवृत्ति पनि संलग्न गरिएको छ। कृपया पुष्टि गर्नुहोस् कि तपाईं उपस्थित हुन सक्नुहुन्छ कि। बुझाउने अन्तिम मिति शुक्रबार हो। दिशानिर्देशहरू संलग्न कागजातमा प्रदान गरिएका छन्।


11. PRACTICE EXERCISES

Exercise 1: Fill in the blanks with Am, Is, or Are

I ______ a student.

म विद्यार्थी हुँ।

She ______ very kind.

उनी धेरै दयालु हुनुहुन्छ।

We ______ from Nepal.

हामी नेपालबाट हौं।

He ______ a doctor.

उनी डाक्टर हुनुहुन्छ।

They ______ happy.

उनीहरू खुशी छन्।

It ______ a beautiful day.

यो एउटा सुन्दर दिन हो।

You ______ my best friend.

तपाईं मेरा सबैभन्दा मिल्ने साथी हुनुहुन्छ।

The books ______ on the table.

किताबहरू टेबलमा छन्।


Exercise 2: Fill in the blanks with Am, Is, Are (Negative - Not)

I ______ tired.

म थकित छैन।

She ______ at home.

उनी घरमा हुनुहुन्न।

They ______ students.

उनीहरू विद्यार्थी होइनन्।

It ______ my book.

यो मेरो किताब होइन।

We ______ ready.

हामी तयार छैनौं।

He ______ happy.

उनी खुशी हुनुहुन्न।


Exercise 3: Fill in the blanks with Am/Is/Are + V+ing (Present Continuous)

I ______ (study) right now.

म अहिले पढिरहेको छु।

She ______ (cook) dinner.

उनी खाना पकाइरहनुभएको छ।

They ______ (play) football.

उनीहरू फुटबल खेलिरहेका छन्।

We ______ (watch) a movie.

हामी एउटा चलचित्र हेरिरहेका छौं।

He ______ (read) a book.

उनी एउटा किताब पढिरहनुभएको छ।

The baby ______ (sleep).

बच्चा सुतिरहेको छ।


Exercise 4: Choose the correct answer

"I ______ a teacher."

a) am b) is c) are

म शिक्षक हुँ।

"She ______ very intelligent."

a) am b) is c) are

उनी धेरै बुद्धिमान हुनुहुन्छ।

"We ______ in the garden."

a) am b) is c) are

हामी बगैंचामा छौं।

"The books ______ new."

a) am b) is c) are

किताबहरू नयाँ छन्।

"It ______ raining outside."

a) am b) is c) are

बाहिर पानी परिरहेको छ।

"They ______ my friends."

a) am b) is c) are

उनीहरू मेरा साथी हुन्।


Exercise 5: Convert these Nepali sentences to English

म खुशी छु।

I __________

उनी (पुरुष) डाक्टर हुनुहुन्छ।

He __________

हामी विद्यार्थी हौं।

We __________

यो एउटा किताब हो।

It __________

उनीहरू घरमा छन्।

They __________

तपाईंहरू सही हुनुहुन्छ।

You __________


Answers (Check Yourself):

Exercise 1:

1.      am

2.      is

3.      are

4.      is

5.      are

6.      is

7.      are

8.      are

Exercise 2:

1.      am not / I'm not

2.      is not / isn't

3.      are not / aren't

4.      is not / isn't

5.      are not / aren't

6.      is not / isn't

Exercise 3:

1.      am studying

2.      is cooking

3.      are playing

4.      are watching

5.      is reading

6.      is sleeping

Exercise 4:

1.      a) am

2.      b) is

3.      c) are

4.      c) are

5.      b) is

6.      c) are

Exercise 5:

1.      I am happy.

2.      He is a doctor.

3.      We are students.

4.      It is a book.

5.      They are at home.

6.      You are right.


12. SUMMARY TABLE: IS, AM, ARE - ALL FORMS

I

I am

I am not

Am I?

Yes, you are.

No, you aren't.

He

He is

He isn't

Is he?

Yes, he is.

No, he isn't.

She

She is

She isn't

Is she?

Yes, she is.

No, she isn't.

It

It is

It isn't

Is it?

Yes, it is.

No, it isn't.

We

We are

We aren't

Are we?

Yes, we are.

No, we aren't.

You

You are

You aren't

Are you?

Yes, I am.

No, I am not.

They

They are

They aren't

Are they?

Yes, they are.

No, they aren't.

13. COMMON PHRASES WITH IS, AM, ARE

I am sorry.

म माफी चाहन्छु।

I am hungry.

म भोको छु।

It is my pleasure.

यो मेरो खुशी हो।

What is your name?

तपाईंको नाम के हो?

Where are you from?

तपाईं कहाँबाट हुनुहुन्छ?

How are you?

तपाईं कस्तो हुनुहुन्छ?

He is right.

उनी सही हुनुहुन्छ।

They are here.

उनीहरू यहाँ छन्।


14. QUICK TIPS FOR IELTS

Tip Example

Speaking Part 1: Use "am" for personal facts

I am from Nepal.

Writing Task 1: Use "is" for singular data

The figure is 50%.

Writing Task 1: Use "are" for plural data

The numbers are increasing.

Writing Task 2: Use "is" for general statements

Education is essential.

Writing Task 2: Use "are" for plural subjects

Many people are affected.

All Tasks: Check subject-verb agreement

She is (not "are") / They are (not "is")


15. RAPID FIRE QUIZ

Fill in the blanks:

I ______ a student.

She ______ my sister.

They ______ from India.

It ______ a beautiful day.

We ______ happy.

You ______ my friend.

The cat ______ sleeping.

The books ______ on the shelf.


Answers:

1.      am

2.      is

3.      are

4.      is

5.      are

6.      are

7.      is

8.      are


16. FULL COMPARISON: PRESENT TENSE FORMS OF "TO BE"

I

I am

I am not

Am I?

म हुँ / छु

You

You are

You aren't

Are you?

तपाईं हुनुहुन्छ

He

He is

He isn't

Is he?

उनी हुनुहुन्छ

She

She is

She isn't

Is she?

उनी हुनुहुन्छ

It

It is

It isn't

Is it?

यो हो / छ

We

We are

We aren't

Are we?

हामी हौं / छौं

They

They are

They aren't

Are they?

उनीहरू हुन् / छन्

 

60 Fill-in-the-Blank Exercises Using Is, Am, Are


Set 1: Formal Letters & Complaints

Focus: Defective, Hazardous, Unsatisfactory, Refund, Replacement

1.      The washing machine I purchased last week __________ defective. (is / am / are)

2.      The noise from the construction site __________ a major disturbance for the residents. (is / am / are)

3.      I __________ writing to express my dissatisfaction with your customer service. (am / is / are)

4.      The faulty electrical wires __________ extremely hazardous for the children. (are / is / am)

5.      A full refund __________ essential in this situation. (am / is / are)

6.      The accommodation facilities provided to us __________ highly unsatisfactory. (are / is / am)

7.      My colleague and I __________ requesting an immediate replacement. (are / is / am)

8.      There __________ a significant delay in the delivery of my package. (is / am / are)

9.      The hotel staff __________ very unprofessional during our stay. (are / is / am)

10. I __________ confident that you will resolve this matter quickly. (am / is / are)


Set 2: Giving Opinions & Discussing Advantages

Focus: Beneficial, Enhance, Promote, Prosperity, Sustainable

11. Renewable energy sources __________ crucial for a sustainable future. (are / is / am)

12. I __________ firmly convinced that education enhances employment opportunities. (am / is / are)

13. Teamwork and cooperation __________ beneficial for any organization. (are / is / am)

14. The government's new policy __________ promoting small businesses effectively. (is / am / are)

15. Financial prosperity __________ the main goal of most entrepreneurs. (is / am / are)

16. These innovative ideas __________ going to empower the local community. (are / is / am)

17. A balanced diet and regular exercise __________ the foundation of good health. (are / is / am)

18. Digital technology __________ rapidly enhancing productivity in the workplace. (is / am / are)

19. The new training programs __________ highly valuable for our career prospects. (are / is / am)

20. I __________ certain that this strategy will boost the economy. (am / is / are)


Set 3: Discussing Disadvantages & Problems

Focus: Detrimental, Excessive, Shortage, Vulnerable, Inequality

21. Air pollution __________ detrimental to public health in major cities. (is / am / are)

22. The shortage of clean drinking water __________ a growing concern. (is / am / are)

23. These chemicals __________ highly dangerous for the environment. (are / is / am)

24. I __________ worried about the excessive use of plastic bags. (am / is / are)

25. Elderly people __________ extremely vulnerable during extreme weather. (are / is / am)

26. Social inequality and poverty __________ closely linked to crime rates. (are / is / am)

27. The decline in local employment __________ inevitable due to automation. (is / am / are)

28. Conflicts between neighbors __________ often caused by noise disturbances. (are / is / am)

29. My current salary __________ insufficient to cover my living expenses. (is / am / are)

30. They __________ under immense stress due to their heavy workload. (are / is / am)


Set 4: Giving Solutions & Recommendations

Focus: Implement, Regulate, Educate, Prohibit, Collaborate

31. Strict laws __________ required to prohibit drunk driving. (are / is / am)

32. The government __________ planning to implement new safety regulations. (is / am / are)

33. We __________ working together to find an alternative solution. (are / is / am)

34. Parents and teachers __________ responsible for educating children about morals. (are / is / am)

35. It __________ essential to allocate more funds to healthcare. (is / am / are)

36. The police __________ monitoring the situation very closely. (are / is / am)

37. I __________ willing to collaborate with the authorities on this project. (am / is / are)

38. Public awareness campaigns __________ very effective in rural areas. (are / is / am)

39. The school __________ going to intervene early to help struggling students. (is / am / are)

40. These safety measures __________ absolutely necessary for all workers. (are / is / am)


Set 5: Describing Change, Trends & Time

Focus: Shift, Significant, Surge, Plummet, Stable

41. The price of petrol __________ gradually declining this month. (is / am / are)

42. People's attitudes towards work __________ shifting dramatically. (are / is / am)

43. The number of tourists visiting Nepal __________ surging every year. (is / am / are)

44. The cost of living __________ significantly higher than it was a decade ago. (is / am / are)

45. My career prospects __________ stable at the moment. (are / is / am)

46. The results of the experiment __________ very significant for our research. (are / is / am)

47. The birth rate in developed nations __________ plummeting. (is / am / are)

48. Temperature levels __________ fluctuating wildly due to climate change. (are / is / am)

49. I __________ surprised by the sudden surge in online shopping. (am / is / are)

50. The demand for electric vehicles __________ gradually increasing. (is / am / are)


Set 6: Miscellaneous / High-Scoring Words

Focus: Phenomenon, Perspective, Relevant, Essential, Utterly

51. The concept of remote working __________ a modern global phenomenon. (is / am / are)

52. Your suggestions __________ highly relevant to our current situation. (are / is / am)

53. I __________ utterly convinced that change is necessary. (am / is / are)

54. These documents __________ essential for your visa application. (are / is / am)

55. Both perspectives __________ equally valid in this debate. (are / is / am)

56. Discipline and punctuality __________ crucial in the workplace. (are / is / am)

57. This moral dilemma __________ very difficult to resolve. (is / am / are)

58. We __________ looking for a radical change in the education system. (are / is / am)

59. Conventional methods __________ no longer appropriate for modern students. (are / is / am)

60. The implication of this policy __________ very serious. (is / am / are)


Answer Key with Short Reasons

Set 1: Formal Letters & Complaints

1.      is — The washing machine is singular.

2.      is — The noise is singular.

3.      am — With I, use am.

4.      are — The faulty electrical wires is plural.

5.      is — A full refund is singular.

6.      are — The accommodation facilities is plural.

7.      are — My colleague and I = plural subject.

8.      is — A significant delay is singular.

9.      are — The hotel staff is treated as plural here.

10. am — With I, use am.

Set 2: Giving Opinions & Discussing Advantages

11. are — Renewable energy sources is plural.

12. am — With I, use am.

13. are — Teamwork and cooperation are two subjects joined by and.

14. is — The government's new policy is singular.

15. is — Financial prosperity is singular/uncountable.

16. are — These innovative ideas is plural.

17. are — A balanced diet and regular exercise are two subjects.

18. is — Digital technology is singular/uncountable.

19. are — The new training programs is plural.

20. am — With I, use am.

Set 3: Discussing Disadvantages & Problems

21. is — Air pollution is singular/uncountable.

22. is — The shortage is singular.

23. are — These chemicals is plural.

24. am — With I, use am.

25. are — Elderly people is plural.

26. are — Social inequality and poverty are two subjects.

27. is — The decline is singular.

28. are — Conflicts is plural.

29. is — My current salary is singular.

30. are — With they, use are.

Set 4: Giving Solutions & Recommendations

31. are — Strict laws is plural.

32. is — The government is singular.

33. are — With we, use are.

34. are — Parents and teachers are two subjects.

35. is — It always takes is in the present tense.

36. are — Police is normally treated as a plural noun.

37. am — With I, use am.

38. are — Public awareness campaigns is plural.

39. is — The school is singular.

40. are — These safety measures is plural.

Set 5: Describing Change, Trends & Time

41. is — The price is singular.

42. are — People's attitudes is plural.

43. is — The number is singular, even though tourists is plural.

44. is — The cost is singular.

45. are — Career prospects is plural.

46. are — The results is plural.

47. is — The birth rate is singular.

48. are — Temperature levels is plural.

49. am — With I, use am.

50. is — The demand is singular.

Set 6: Miscellaneous / High-Scoring Words

51. is — The concept is singular.

52. are — Your suggestions is plural.

53. am — With I, use am.

54. are — These documents is plural.

55. are — Both perspectives is plural.

56. are — Discipline and punctuality are two subjects joined by and.

57. is — This moral dilemma is singular.

58. are — With we, use are.

59. are — Conventional methods is plural.

60. is — The implication is singular.

Quick Rule to Remember

Subject

Correct form

I

am

He / She / It

is

Singular noun

is

You / We / They

are

Plural noun

are

A + singular noun

is

Two subjects joined by and

are

The number of + plural noun

is

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

PTE Reading & Writing Fill in the Blanks

30 New Challenging Sets for PTE Reading & Writing Fill in the Blanks (Advanced Collocations | 4–5 Gaps Each | Options in Single Line F...