Friday, 4 September 2026

Day 5 Complete Guide to "May" and "Might" in English

Day 5 Complete Guide to "May" and "Might" in English

1. MAY - प्रयोग र नियमहरू

A. Possibility (सम्भावना / हुन सक्छ)

Used to talk about possible situations in the present or future.

Present Possibility

May + Verb (Base Form)

She may be at home now.

उनी अहिले घरमा हुन सक्छिन्।

Future Possibility

May + Verb (Base Form)

We may go to the beach tomorrow.

हामी भोलि समुद्रतट जान सक्छौं।

General Possibility

May + Verb (Base Form)

The weather may improve later.

मौसम पछि सुधार हुन सक्छ।

More Examples:

·         English: He may arrive late due to traffic.

·         Nepali: उनी ट्राफिकको कारण ढिलो आउन सक्छन्।

·         English: There may be a power outage today.

·         Nepali: आज बिजुली कटौती हुन सक्छ।

·         English: This plan may not work.

·         Nepali: यो योजना काम नगर्न सक्छ।


B. Permission (अनुमति / गर्न सक्छु)

Used to ask for or give formal permission.

Asking Permission

May I + Verb?

May I come in?

के म भित्र आउन सक्छु?

Giving Permission

Yes, you may.

You may leave early today.

तपाईं आज चाँडै जान सक्नुहुन्छ।

Refusing Permission

No, you may not.

You may not enter without a ticket.

तपाईं टिकट बिना पस्न सक्नुहुन्न।

More Examples:

·         English: May I borrow your pen?

·         Nepali: के म तपाईंको कलम सापटी लिन सक्छु?

·         English: Students may use the library until 9 PM.

·         Nepali: विद्यार्थीहरूले ९ बजे सम्म पुस्तकालय प्रयोग गर्न सक्छन्।

·         English: May I ask a question?

·         Nepali: के म एउटा प्रश्न सोध्न सक्छु?


C. Wishes & Hopes (शुभकामना / होस्)

Used to express wishes or hopes (often in formal contexts).

Wish

May + Subject + Verb

May you have a wonderful journey!

तपाईंको यात्रा शुभ होस्!

Hope

May + Subject + Verb

May all your dreams come true!

तपाईंका सबै सपनाहरू सत्य होउन्!

Blessing

May + Subject + Verb

May God bless you!

भगवानले तपाईंलाई आशीर्वाद दिऊन्!

More Examples:

·         English: May you succeed in your career!

·         Nepali: तपाईं आफ्नो करियरमा सफल हुनुहोस्!

·         English: May the New Year bring you happiness.

·         Nepali: नयाँ वर्षले तपाईंलाई खुशी ल्याओस्।

·         English: May you live a long and healthy life.

·         Nepali: तपाईं दीर्घायु र स्वस्थ रहनुहोस्।


D. May as well (अरु के नै गर्नु / गर्नुको विकल्प छैन)

Used to suggest something because there is no better alternative.

Suggestion

May as well + Verb

We may as well go home now.

हामी अब घरै जानुको विकल्प छैन।

Alternative

May as well + Verb

You may as well try it.

तपाईं आजमाउनु नै उचित हो।

More Examples:

·         English: Since we have no money, we may as well stay home.

·         Nepali: हामीसँग पैसा नभएकोले, हामी घरमै बस्नु नै उचित हो।

·         English: It's raining, so we may as well cancel the trip.

·         Nepali: पानी परिरहेको छ, त्यसैले यात्रा रद्द गर्नु नै उचित हो।

2. MIGHT - प्रयोग र नियमहरू

A. Less Certain Possibility (कम सम्भावना / हुन सक्छ)

Used to talk about less probable situations. "Might" is more uncertain than "May."

Less Certain

Might + Verb (Base Form)

She might be at home, but I'm not sure.

उनी घरमा हुन सक्छिन्, तर म पक्का छैन।

Doubtful

Might + Verb (Base Form)

I might go to the party.

म पार्टीमा जान सक्छु (पक्का छैन)।

Remote Possibility

Might + Verb (Base Form)

It might snow in April.

अप्रिलमा हिउँ पर्न सक्छ।

More Examples:

·         English: He might not come to the meeting.

·         Nepali: उनी बैठकमा नआउन सक्छन्।

·         English: We might go to Japan next year.

·         Nepali: हामी अर्को वर्ष जापान जान सक्छौं।

·         English: This might be the solution we need.

·         Nepali: यो हामीलाई चाहिने समाधान हुन सक्छ।


B. Polite Suggestions (विनम्र सुझाव / गर्न सक्नुहुन्छ)

Used to give very polite suggestions.

Polite Suggestion

Might + Verb (Base Form)

You might want to try this restaurant.

तपाईं यो रेस्टुरेन्ट आजमाउन चाहनुहुन्छ कि?

Gentle Advice

Might + Verb (Base Form)

We might consider other options.

हामी अन्य विकल्पहरू विचार गर्न सक्छौं।

More Examples:

·         English: You might want to call him first.

·         Nepali: तपाईं पहिले उनलाई फोन गर्न चाहनुहुन्छ कि?

·         English: We might try a different approach.

·         Nepali: हामी फरक तरिका आजमाउन सक्छौं।


C. Past Possibility (भूतकालको सम्भावना / सक्थ्यो होला)

Used to talk about possibilities in the past.

Past Possibility

Might have + Past Participle

She might have missed the bus.

उनी बस छुटाउन सक्थिन् होला।

Past Possibility

Might have + Past Participle

He might have forgotten our meeting.

उनले हाम्रो बैठक बिर्सनु भएको हुन सक्छ।

Past Possibility

Might not have + Past Participle

They might not have received the message.

उनीहरूले सन्देश प्राप्त नगरेको हुन सक्छ।

More Examples:

·         English: I might have left my wallet at home.

·         Nepali: मैले मेरो वालेट घरमै छोडेको हुन सक्छु।

·         English: She might have already finished her work.

·         Nepali: उनले आफ्नो काम सकिसकेकी हुन सक्छिन्।

·         English: He might have taken the wrong train.

·         Nepali: उनले गलत रेल चढेको हुन सक्छ।


D. Might as well (त्यसो भए गरौं न)

Used to suggest doing something because there is no reason not to.

Suggestion

Might as well + Verb

We might as well start now.

हामी अहिले नै सुरु गरौं न।

Acceptance

Might as well + Verb

I might as well go to the gym.

म जिम जानु नै उचित हो।

More Examples:

·         English: Since we are here, we might as well enjoy it.

·         Nepali: हामी यहाँ भएकोले, रमाएर बिताऔं न।

·         English: You might as well tell the truth.

·         Nepali: तपाईं सत्य भन्नु नै उचित हो।

3. QUICK COMPARISON: MAY vs MIGHT

Possibility (Likely)

✅ It may rain. (50%)

❌ No

पानी पर्न सक्छ।

Possibility (Unlikely)

❌ No

✅ It might rain. (30%)

पानी पर्न सक्छ (कम सम्भावना)।

Permission (Formal)

✅ May I go?

❌ No

के म जान सक्छु?

Permission (Informal)

❌ No (Can I go?)

❌ No

(Can प्रयोग गर्नुहोस्)

Wish/Blessing

✅ May you succeed!

❌ No

तपाईं सफल हुनुहोस्!

Past Possibility

❌ No

✅ Might have gone

गएको हुन सक्छ

Suggestion

✅ May as well

✅ Might as well

गर्नु नै उचित हो

Polite Suggestion

❌ No

✅ You might want to...

तपाईं चाहनुहुन्छ कि?


4. COMMON MISTAKES (नेपाली विद्यार्थीहरूले गर्ने गल्तीहरू)

Mistake ❌Correction ✅Explanation

I may to go.

I may go.

"May" + Base Form

She may went.

She may go.

"May" + Base Form

He might to come.

He might come.

"Might" + Base Form

I may like tea.

I would like tea.

"Would like" for preferences

She might has arrived.

She might have arrived.

Might have + Past Participle

May we go? (too formal)

Can we go? (informal)

Use "Can" for informal

Golden Rule:
May/Might + Verb (Base Form) → No "to", no past form.

✅ I may go.
✅ She may have arrived.
✅ He might come.


5. MAY vs MIGHT: DETAILED COMPARISON

A. Degree of Certainty (सम्भावनाको स्तर)

She may be at work. (Likely)

She might be at work. (Less likely)

उनी काममा हुन सक्छिन्।

It may rain today. (Probable)

It might rain today. (Possible but not sure)

आज पानी पर्न सक्छ।

I may go to the party. (I think so)

I might go to the party. (Maybe, maybe not)

म पार्टीमा जान सक्छु।


B. Permission (अनुमति)

May I come in?

~~Might I come in?~~ (Very old English)

के म भित्र आउन सक्छु?

You may leave now.

~~You might leave now.~~

तपाईं अहिले जान सक्नुहुन्छ।


C. Past Possibility (भूतकाल)

May (Past)Might (Past)Nepali

~~She may have gone.~~ (Rare)

She might have gone.

उनी गएकी हुन सक्छिन्।

~~He may have missed it.~~ (Rare)

He might have missed it.

उनले छुटाउनु भएको हुन सक्छ।

Note: "May have" is used occasionally, but "Might have" is much more common for past possibilities.


6. ADVANCED STRUCTURES WITH MAY & MIGHT

A. May/Might + Be + Verb+ing (Continuous)

May be + V+ing

She may be sleeping now.

उनी अहिले सुतिरहेकी हुन सक्छिन्।

Might be + V+ing

He might be waiting for us.

उनी हामीलाई पर्खिरहेको हुन सक्छ।

More Examples:

·         English: They may be discussing the project.

·         Nepali: उनीहरू परियोजनाको बारेमा छलफल गरिरहेका हुन सक्छन्।

·         English: She might be studying in the library.

·         Nepali: उनी पुस्तकालयमा पढिरहेकी हुन सक्छिन्।


B. May/Might + Have + V3 (Past Possibility)

May have + V3

She may have forgotten.

उनी बिर्सनु भएको हुन सक्छ।

Might have + V3

He might have left early.

उनी चाँडै गएका हुन सक्छन्।

More Examples:

·         English: They may have already eaten.

·         Nepali: उनीहरूले खाइसकेको हुन सक्छ।

·         English: I might have seen you there.

·         Nepali: मैले तपाईंलाई त्यहाँ देखेको हुन सक्छु।


C. May/Might + Not (नकारात्मक)

May not + V

She may not be at home.

उनी घरमा नहुन सक्छिन्।

Might not + V

He might not come today.

उनी आज नआउन सक्छन्।

More Examples:

·         English: We may not have enough time.

·         Nepali: हामीसँग पर्याप्त समय नहुन सक्छ।

·         English: It might not work.

·         Nepali: यसले काम नगर्न सक्छ।


D. May/Might + Have + Been + V+ing (Past Continuous Possibility)

May have been + V+ing

She may have been waiting for hours.

उनी घण्टौं पर्खिरहेकी हुन सक्छिन्।

Might have been + V+ing

He might have been working all night.

उनी रातभर काम गरिरहेको हुन सक्छ।

More Examples:

·         English: They may have been arguing about the issue.

·         Nepali: उनीहरू मुद्दाको बारेमा बहस गरिरहेका हुन सक्छन्।


7. TIPS FOR IELTS USING MAY & MIGHT

Tip Example

Writing Task 2: Use "may" for balanced arguments

This policy may have some disadvantages.

Writing Task 2: Use "might" for less certain points

Unemployment might rise as a result.

Writing Task 2: Use "may not" for counterarguments

However, it may not be effective in all cases.

Speaking Part 3: Use "might" for predictions

In the future, we might see more automation.

Speaking Part 2: Use "may" for personal possibilities

I may travel abroad after graduation.

Speaking Part 1: Use "might" for uncertain plans

I might go to the gym later today.


8. EXAMPLES IN DIFFERENT CONTEXTS

A. IELTS Writing Task 2 (Essay)

English:

One solution to this problem may be to invest in renewable energy. However, this approach might not be affordable for developing nations. Additionally, governments may need to implement stricter regulations. While these measures might seem expensive initially, they may prove beneficial in the long term. If implemented properly, they might significantly reduce carbon emissions.

Nepali:

यस समस्याको एउटा समाधान नवीकरणीय ऊर्जामा लगानी गर्नु हुन सक्छ। यद्यपि, यो दृष्टिकोण विकासशील देशहरूको लागि किफायती नहुन सक्छ। साथै, सरकारहरूले कडा नियमहरू लागू गर्नुपर्ने हुन सक्छ। यी उपायहरू सुरुमा महँगो लाग्न सक्छन्, तिनीहरू दीर्घकालमा लाभदायक हुन सक्छन्। यदि राम्रोसँग लागू गरियो भने, तिनीहरूले कार्बन उत्सर्जन घटाउन सक्छन्।


B. IELTS Speaking Part 2 (Cue Card)

English:

If I could visit any country, I might choose Japan. I may go there next year if I save enough money. The culture may be quite different from mine, but I think I might enjoy the experience. I might learn some Japanese before I go. However, I might not be able to visit all the places I want due to time constraints. But who knows? I may even extend my stay!

Nepali:

यदि म कुनै पनि देश भ्रमण गर्न सक्छु भने, म जापान रोज्न सक्छु। यदि मैले पर्याप्त पैसा जम्मा गरे भने म अर्को वर्ष त्यहाँ जान सक्छु। संस्कृति मेरो भन्दा धेरै फरक हुन सक्छ, तर म अनुभवको मजा लिन सक्छु। म जानु अघि केही जापानी सिक्न सक्छु। यद्यपि, समय अभावको कारण म सबै ठाउँहरू घुम्न नसक्न पनि सक्छु। तर कसलाई थाहा? म मेरो बसाइ लम्ब्याउन पनि सक्छु!


C. Everyday Conversations (दैनिक कुराकानी)

English:

A: Where is John?
B: He may be in his office.
A: I called him, but he didn't answer.
B: He might be in a meeting.
A: May I wait for him?
B: Of course, you may wait in the lobby.
A: I might leave if he doesn't come in 15 minutes.
B: He might have forgotten about our appointment.
A: Yes, he may have forgotten. Let's call him again.

Nepali:

A: जोन कहाँ छ?
B: 
उनी आफ्नो कार्यालयमा हुन सक्छन्।
A: 
मैले उनलाई फोन गरे, तर उनले उठाउनुभएन।
B: 
उनी बैठकमा हुन सक्छन्।
A: 
के म उनको पर्खन सक्छु?
B: 
पक्कै पनि, तपाईं लबीमा पर्खन सक्नुहुन्छ।
A: 
यदि उनी १५ मिनेटमा आएनन् भने म जान सक्छु।
B: 
उनले हाम्रो भेटघाट बिर्सनु भएको हुन सक्छ।
A: 
हो, उनले बिर्सनु भएको हुन सक्छ। फेरि फोन गरौं।


D. Formal Invitations (औपचारिक निमन्त्रण)

English:

May we have the pleasure of your company at our annual dinner?
Guests may park in the basement.
May I take your coat?
You may be seated anywhere.

Nepali:

के हामी तपाईंलाई हाम्रो वार्षिक भोजमा निम्तो दिन सक्छौं?
पाहुनाहरूले तल्लो तलामा पार्क गर्न सक्नुहुन्छ।
के म तपाईंको कोट लिन सक्छु?
तपाईं जहाँ सुकै बस्न सक्नुहुन्छ।


9. PRACTICE EXERCISES

Exercise 1: Fill in the blanks with May or Might

It ______ rain later today. (50% chance)

आज पछि पानी पर्न सक्छ।

___________

He ______ be at home, but I'm not sure. (30% chance)

उनी घरमा हुन सक्छन्, तर म पक्का छैन।

___________

______ I use your phone?

के म तपाईंको फोन प्रयोग गर्न सक्छु?

___________

She ______ have already left.

उनी पहिले नै गइसकेकी हुन सक्छिन्।

___________

______ you have a wonderful day!

तपाईंको दिन शुभ होस्!

___________

We ______ go to the cinema tonight. (Unlikely)

हामी आज राति सिनेमा जान सक्छौं।

___________

Students ______ borrow up to 5 books.

विद्यार्थीहरूले ५ वटा किताब सापटी लिन सक्छन्।

___________

You ______ want to try this dish.

तपाईं यो परिकार आजमाउन चाहनुहुन्छ कि?

___________


Exercise 2: Choose the correct answer

"She ______ be sleeping now."

a) may b) might

उनी अहिले सुतिरहेकी हुन सक्छिन्।

"I ______ go to the party, but I'm not sure."

a) may b) might

म पार्टीमा जान सक्छु, तर पक्का छैन।

"______ I have some water?"

a) May b) Might

के म केही पानी पाउन सक्छु?

"It ______ snow tomorrow." (50% chance)

a) may b) might

भोलि हिउँ पर्न सक्छ।

"They ______ have missed the train."

a) may b) might

उनीहरूले रेल छुटाएको हुन सक्छ।

"He ______ be waiting at the station."

a) may b) might

उनी स्टेसनमा पर्खिरहेको हुन सक्छ।


Exercise 3: Rewrite using May/Might (Past Possibility)

Perhaps she forgot the meeting.

सायद उनले बैठक बिर्सिन्।

She __________

It is possible that he left early.

सम्भव छ उनी चाँडै गए।

He __________

Maybe they didn't receive my email.

सायद उनीहरूले मेरो इमेल पाएनन्।

They __________

Perhaps I made a mistake.

सायद मैले गल्ती गरें।

I __________


Answers (Check Yourself):

Exercise 1:

1.      may

2.      might

3.      May

4.      may/might

5.      May

6.      might

7.      may

8.      might

Exercise 2:

1.      a) may (or b) might - both possible)

2.      b) might

3.      a) May

4.      a) may

5.      a) may (or b) might - both possible)

6.      a) may (or b) might - both possible)

Exercise 3:

1.      She may/might have forgotten the meeting.

2.      He may/might have left early.

3.      They may/might not have received my email.

4.      I may/might have made a mistake.


10. SUMMARY TABLE: MAY vs MIGHT

Possibility (Likely - 50%)

✅ It may rain.

❌ No

पानी पर्न सक्छ।

Possibility (Unlikely - 30%)

❌ No

✅ It might rain.

पानी पर्न सक्छ (कम)।

Permission (Formal)

✅ May I go?

❌ No

के म जान सक्छु?

Wishes/Blessings

✅ May you succeed!

❌ No

तपाईं सफल हुनुहोस्!

Past Possibility

✅ (Rare)

✅ Might have gone

गएको हुन सक्छ

Polite Suggestion

❌ No

✅ You might try

तपाईं आजमाउन सक्नुहुन्छ

Mild Obligation

✅ You may go.

❌ No

तपाईं जान सक्नुहुन्छ।

May/Might as well

✅ May as well

✅ Might as well

गर्नु नै उचित हो


11. DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MAY & CAN (Permission)

May I come in? (Very formal)

Can I come in? (Informal)

के म भित्र आउन सक्छु?

Students may use phones. (Official)

Students can use phones. (Informal)

विद्यार्थीहरूले फोन प्रयोग गर्न सक्छन्।

IELTS Tip: Use "May" in formal writing (Task 2) and "Can" in speaking.


12. DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MIGHT & COULD (Possibility)

It might rain. (30% chance)

It could rain. (50% chance)

पानी पर्न सक्छ।

He might be at home. (Doubtful)

He could be at home. (Possible)

उनी घरमा हुन सक्छन्।


13. QUICK TIPS FOR IELTS

Tip Example

Writing Task 2: Use "may" for balanced arguments

This may be true, but...

Writing Task 2: Use "might" for less certain points

This might have some drawbacks.

Writing Task 2: Use "may not" for counterarguments

However, it may not work in all cases.

Speaking Part 3: Use "might" for predictions

In the future, we might see more automation.

Speaking Part 2: Use "may" for personal possibilities

I may travel abroad after graduation.

Avoid using "may" for requests in speaking

Use "Can" or "Could" instead.

Use "May" for formal writing

Candidates may submit their applications online.


14. RAPID FIRE QUIZ

Change these sentences using May/Might/Might have:

It is possible that she is at home.

उनी घरमा हुन सक्छिन्।

She __________

It is possible that he forgot.

उनले बिर्सनु भएको हुन सक्छ।

He __________

Ask permission to enter.

भित्र पस्न अनुमति माग्नुहोस्।

__________ I __________?

Perhaps they are waiting for us.

सायद उनीहरू हामीलाई पर्खिरहेका छन्।

They __________

I am not sure but maybe I will go.

म पक्का छैन तर सायद म जान्छु।

I __________

It is possible that it will rain.

पानी पर्न सक्छ।

It __________


Answers:

1.      She may/might be at home.

2.      He may/might have forgotten.

3.      May I come in?

4.      They may/might be waiting for us.

5.      I may/might go.

6.      It may/might rain.


15. FULL COMPARISON: ALL MODAL VERBS

Can

Ability/Permission

I can swim.

म पौडी खेल्न सक्छु।

Could

Past Ability/Polite

I could run fast.

म छिटो दौडन सक्थे।

Will

Future/Promise

I will help you.

म सहायता गर्नेछु।

Would

Past Habit/Polite

I would play daily.

म दैनिक खेल्थे।

Shall

Future (I/We)/Offer

Shall we go?

के हामी जाऔं?

Should

Advice/Obligation

You should study.

तपाईं पढ्नु पर्छ।

May

Permission/Possibility

It may rain.

पानी पर्न सक्छ।

 

Might

Less Certain Possibility

It might rain.

पानी पर्न सक्छ (कम)।

 

Must

Strong Obligation

You must go.

तपाईं जानु पर्छ।

 

Ought to

Strong Advice

You ought to try.

तपाईं आजमाउनु पर्छ।

 50 examples using "May" and "Might" in English, with their Nepali translations side-by-side.


Rules (Briefly)

  • May = Used for permission (formal), possibility (more likely - 50%+), and wishes.
  • Might = Used for possibility (less likely - maybe 30-40%), hypothetical situations, and past possibility (might have).

Part 1: MAY (Permission, Likely Possibility, Wishes)

1. Asking for Permission (Formal)

  • English: May I come in, sir?
  • Nepali: के म भित्र आउन सक्छु, सर? (Ke ma bhitra auna sakchu, sar?)

2. Giving Permission

  • English: You may leave early today.
  • Nepali: तपाईं आज चाँडै जान सक्नुहुन्छ। (Tapai aaja chadai jana saknuhunchha.)

3. Refusing Permission

  • English: You may not use your phone during the exam.
  • Nepali: तपाईं परीक्षाको समयमा फोन प्रयोग गर्न सक्नुहुन्न। (Tapai parikshako samayama phone prayog garna saknuhunna.)

4. Possibility (Likely)

  • English: It may rain this evening.
  • Nepali: आज साँझ पानी पर्न सक्छ। (Aja saanjh pani parna sakcha.)

5. Possibility (Likely)

  • English: She may be at home right now.
  • Nepali: उनी अहिले घरमा हुन सक्छिन्। (Uni ahile gharama huna sakchhin.)

6. Formal Request

  • English: May I borrow your pen?
  • Nepali: के म तपाईंको कलम माग्न सक्छु? (Ke ma tapainko kalam magna sakchu?)

7. Wish/Curse (Poetic)

  • English: May you live long!
  • Nepali: तपाईं दीर्घायु हुनुहोस्! (Tapai dirghayu hunuhos!)

8. Wish

  • English: May God bless you!
  • Nepali: भगवानले तपाईंलाई आशीर्वाद दिउन्! (Bhagawanle tapailai ashirwad diun!)

9. Possibility (Future)

  • English: I may go to Pokhara next week.
  • Nepali: म अर्को हप्ता पोखरा जान सक्छु। (Ma arko hapta Pokhara jana sakchu.)

10. Permission (Classroom)

  • English: Students may sit anywhere they like.
  • Nepali: विद्यार्थीहरू जहाँ मन लाग्छ त्यहाँ बस्न सक्छन्। (Vidyarthiharule jaha man lagchha tyaha basna sakchhan.)

11. Formal Offer

  • English: May I help you with that?
  • Nepali: के म त्यसमा तपाईंलाई सहयोग गर्न सक्छु? (Ke ma tyasma tapailai sahayog garna sakchu?)

12. Possibility (Present)

  • English: He may be sleeping right now.
  • Nepali: ऊ अहिले सुतिरहेको हुन सक्छ। (U ahile sutiraheko huna sakcha.)

13. Permission (Notice)

  • English: Visitors may enter the museum until 5 PM.
  • Nepali: आगन्तुकहरू बेलुका ५ बजेसम्म संग्रहालयमा प्रवेश गर्न सक्छन्। (Agantukharule beluka 5 bajesamma sangrahalayama pravesh garna sakchhan.)

14. Possibility (Uncertain)

  • English: The answer may be wrong.
  • Nepali: उत्तर गलत हुन सक्छ। (Uttar galat huna sakcha.)

15. Wish (Formal)

  • English: May you have a happy journey!
  • Nepali: तपाईंको यात्रा शुभ रहोस्! (Tapainko yatra shubha rahos!)

16. Asking Permission (Polite)

  • English: May I ask you a question?
  • Nepali: के म तपाईंलाई एउटा प्रश्न सोध्न सक्छु? (Ke ma tapailai euta prashna sodhna sakchu?)

17. Possibility (Alternative)

  • English: We may take the train instead of the bus.
  • Nepali: हामी बसको सट्टा रेल चढ्न सक्छौं। (Hami basko satta rail chadhna sakchhau.)

18. Permission (Official)

  • English: Passengers may board the flight now.
  • Nepali: यात्रुहरू अहिले उडानमा चढ्न सक्छन्। (Yatruharule ahile udanma chadhna sakchhan.)

19. Possibility (Food)

  • English: This dish may be too spicy for you.
  • Nepali: यो परिकार तपाईंको लागि धेरै मसलादार हुन सक्छ। (Yo parikar tapainko lagi dherai masaladar huna sakcha.)

20. Wish (Celebration)

  • English: May your dreams come true!
  • Nepali: तपाईंका सपना सत्य होउन्! (Tapainka sapana satya houn!)

21. Permission (Library)

  • English: You may keep this book for two weeks.
  • Nepali: तपाईं यो पुस्तक दुई हप्तासम्म राख्न सक्नुहुन्छ। (Tapai yo pustak dui haptasamma rakhna saknuhunchha.)

22. Possibility (Weather)

  • English: It may snow in the mountains tonight.
  • Nepali: आज राति पहाडमा हिउँ पर्न सक्छ। (Aja rati pahadma hiu parna sakcha.)

23. Permission (Negative)

  • English: You may not enter this room without permission.
  • Nepali: तपाईं अनुमति बिना यो कोठामा प्रवेश गर्न सक्नुहुन्न। (Tapai anumati bina yo kothama pravesh garna saknuhunna.)

24. Possibility (General)

  • English: Too much sugar may cause health problems.
  • Nepali: धेरै चिनीले स्वास्थ्य समस्या निम्त्याउन सक्छ। (Dherai chinile swasthya samasya nimtyauna sakcha.)

25. Formal Suggestion

  • English: You may want to check the price first.
  • Nepali: तपाईं पहिले मूल्य जाँच गर्न चाहनुहुन्छ। (Tapai pahile mulya jaanch garna chahanuhunchha.)

Part 2: MIGHT (Less Likely Possibility, Hypothetical, Past Possibility)

26. Less Likely Possibility

  • English: I might go to the party, but I'm not sure.
  • Nepali: म पार्टीमा जान सक्छु, तर निश्चित छैन। (Ma party ma jana sakchu, tara nishchit chaina.)

27. Hypothetical Situation

  • English: If I were rich, I might buy a big house.
  • Nepali: यदि म धनी भए, ठूलो घर किन्न सक्थें। (Yadi ma dhani bhaye, thulo ghar kinna sakthe.)

28. Past Possibility (Might have)

  • English: She might have forgotten about the meeting.
  • Nepali: उनले बैठकको बारेमा बिर्सेकी हुन सक्छिन्। (Unle baithakko barema birsheki huna sakchhin.)

29. Suggestion (Tentative)

  • English: We might try a different approach.
  • Nepali: हामी फरक तरिका अपनाउन सक्छौं। (Hami farak tarika apnauna sakchhau.)

30. Less Likely (Conditional)

  • English: It might rain later, but I doubt it.
  • Nepali: पछि पानी पर्न सक्छ, तर मलाई शंका छ। (Pachi pani parna sakcha, tara malai shanka chha.)

31. Past Regret (Might have)

  • English: You might have told me before leaving!
  • Nepali: तपाईंले जानु अघि मलाई भन्न सक्नुहुन्थ्यो! (Tapainle januhi agadi malai bhanna saknuhunthyo!)

32. Possibility (Doubtful)

  • English: He might be lying, I'm not sure.
  • Nepali: ऊ झूट बोलिरहेको हुन सक्छ, म पक्का छैन। (U jhuto boliraheko huna sakcha, ma pakka chaina.)

33. Hypothetical (Present)

  • English: I might not come tomorrow if I'm busy.
  • Nepali: यदि म व्यस्त भए भोलि आउन सक्दिन। (Yadi ma byasta bhaye bholi auna sakdina.)

34. Polite Suggestion

  • English: You might want to sit down and rest.
  • Nepali: तपाईं बसेर आराम गर्न चाहनुहुन्छ होला। (Tapai basera aram garna chahanuhunchha hola.)

35. Past Possibility (Alternative)

  • English: They might have taken the wrong road.
  • Nepali: उनीहरूले गलत बाटो लिएका हुन सक्छन्। (Uniharule galat bato lieka huna sakchhan.)

36. Less Likely (Future)

  • English: She might become a doctor someday.
  • Nepali: उनी कुनै दिन डाक्टर बन्न सक्छिन्। (Uni kunai din doctor banna sakchhin.)

37. Hypothetical (Imaginary)

  • English: If I had wings, I might fly to the moon.
  • Nepali: यदि म पखेटा भए, चन्द्रमामा उड्न सक्थें। (Yadi ma pakheta bhaye, chandramama udna sakthe.)

38. Expectation (Weak)

  • English: The train might arrive late due to fog.
  • Nepali: कुहिरोको कारण रेल ढिलो आउन सक्छ। (Kuhiroko karan rail dhilo auna sakcha.)

39. Polite Request (Indirect)

  • English: I might ask you for a favor later.
  • Nepali: म पछि तपाईंलाई एउटा सहयोग माग्न सक्छु। (Ma pachi tapailai euta sahayog magna sakchu.)

40. Past Possibility (Might have + past participle)

  • English: He might have already eaten lunch.
  • Nepali: उसले खाना खाइसकेको हुन सक्छ। (Usle khana khaisakeko huna sakcha.)

41. Alternative Suggestion

  • English: We might go to the cinema instead.
  • Nepali: हामी सट्टा सिनेमा हल जान सक्छौं। (Hami satta cinema hall jana sakchhau.)

42. Possibility (Uncertain Past)

  • English: The keys might be in the car.
  • Nepali: साँचोहरू गाडीमा हुन सक्छन्। (Sanchoharu gadima huna sakchan.)

43. Conditional (Future)

  • English: If you invite me, I might come.
  • Nepali: यदि तपाईं बोलाउनुहुन्छ भने, म आउन सक्छु। (Yadi tapai bolaunuhunchha bhane, ma auna sakchu.)

44. Expressing Doubt

  • English: That might not be a good idea.
  • Nepali: त्यो राम्रो विचार नहुन सक्छ। (Tyo ramro vichar nahuna sakcha.)

45. Past Assumption

  • English: She might have missed the bus.
  • Nepali: उनले बस गुमाएकी हुन सक्छिन्। (Unle bas gumaeki huna sakchhin.)

46. Tentative Plan

  • English: We might visit our grandparents this weekend.
  • Nepali: हामी यो साताको अन्त्यमा हजुरबा-हजुरआमा भेट्न जान सक्छौं। (Hami yo satako antyama hajurbahajuraama bhetna jana sakchhau.)

47. Warning (Mild)

  • English: The food might be too hot. Be careful.
  • Nepali: खाना धेरै तातो हुन सक्छ। सावधान हुनुहोस्। (Khana dherai tato huna sakcha. Savadhana hunuhos.)

48. Past Possibility (Alternative explanation)

  • English: He might have gotten stuck in traffic.
  • Nepali: ऊ ट्राफिकमा अल्झिएको हुन सक्छ। (U traffic ma aljheko huna sakcha.)

49. Making a Guess

  • English: This might be the oldest temple in Kathmandu.
  • Nepali: यो काठमाडौंको सबैभन्दा पुरानो मन्दिर हुन सक्छ। (Yo Kathmanduko sabaibhanda purano mandir huna sakcha.)

50. Hypothetical Wish (Imaginary)

  • English: If I had more time, I might learn Nepali.
  • Nepali: यदि म अझ समय भए, नेपाली सिक्न सक्थें। (Yadi ma ajha samaya bhaye, Nepali sikna sakthe.)

Quick Summary (नेपालीमा)

  • May = अनुमति (permission), सम्भावना (possibility - ठूलो), शुभकामना (wishes)
  • Might = सम्भावना (possibility - सानो), कल्पना (hypothetical), भूतकालको सम्भावना (might have)

50 Fill-in-the-Blank Exercises: May / Might / May Not / Might Not

Fill in the Blanks (1–50)

1.      Take an umbrella. It ______ rain later. (may / might)

2.      I ______ go to the party, but I’m not sure yet. (may / might)

3.      She ______ be at home right now; her lights are off. (may not / might)

4.      We ______ visit grandma this weekend if we have time. (may / might)

5.      He ______ come to the meeting; he’s feeling unwell. (may not / might not)

6.      There ______ be a storm tonight. (may / might)

7.      They ______ already know the secret. (may / might)

8.      I ______ finish this project by Friday, but don’t count on it. (may / might)

9.      She ______ be the new manager; we’ll find out tomorrow. (may / might)

10. You ______ find this book interesting. (may / might)

11. He ______ join us for dinner; he hasn’t replied yet. (may / might)

12. It ______ snow tomorrow; the forecast is uncertain. (may / might)

13. She ______ be stuck in traffic. (may / might)

14. We ______ go to the beach if the weather improves. (may / might)

15. He ______ be late, so let’s start without him. (may / might)

16. The train ______ have already left. (may / might)

17. I ______ take the job offer; I’m still thinking. (may / might)

18. She ______ not like this gift. (may / might)

19. They ______ move to Canada next year. (may / might)

20. You ______ need a visa for that country. (may / might)

21. He ______ not be available tomorrow. (may / might)

22. I ______ call you later tonight. (may / might)

23. She ______ have forgotten our appointment. (may / might)

24. The store ______ be closed on Sundays. (may / might)

25. We ______ not have enough time to finish. (may / might)

26. This ______ be the best solution. (may / might)

27. He ______ not want to come with us. (may / might)

28. They ______ announce the results today. (may / might)

29. I ______ not attend the workshop. (may / might)

30. She ______ become a doctor one day. (may / might)

31. The keys ______ be in the car. (may / might)

32. You ______ not like spicy food. (may / might)

33. He ______ be sleeping; don’t disturb him. (may / might)

34. We ______ not see each other again for years. (may / might)

35. The flight ______ be delayed due to fog. (may / might)

36. She ______ not agree with your plan. (may / might)

37. I ______ buy a new phone next month. (may / might)

38. They ______ not have received our email. (may / might)

39. This ______ be the last chance we get. (may / might)

40. He ______ run for president someday. (may / might)

41. We ______ not make it on time; the traffic is bad. (may / might)

42. She ______ already be at the station. (may / might)

43. The answer ______ surprise you. (may / might)

44. I ______ not stay for the whole movie. (may / might)

45. They ______ not accept this proposal. (may / might)

46. He ______ have lost his wallet. (may / might)

47. You ______ want to double-check those numbers. (may / might)

48. The meeting ______ start early today. (may / might)

49. She ______ not feel like talking right now. (may / might)

50. There ______ be life on other planets. (may / might)


Answers with Short Reasons

1.      may – (slightly more probable / formal)

2.      might – (less certain, common in informal)

3.      may not – (negative possibility)

4.      may – (possible future plan)

5.      may not / might not – (both possible; negative)

6.      may – (likely possibility)

7.      might – (slightly less sure)

8.      might – (weak possibility)

9.      may – (equal possibility)

10. may – (suggestion)

11. might – (uncertain)

12. may – (weather forecast)

13. might – (guessing)

14. may – (conditional)

15. might – (possibility)

16. might – (past possibility)

17. may – (uncertain decision)

18. may not – (negative)

19. might – (future possibility)

20. may – (advice)

21. may not – (negative)

22. might – (informal future)

23. might – (past guess)

24. may – (general truth)

25. may not – (negative)

26. might – (suggestion)

27. may not – (negative)

28. may – (announcement)

29. may not – (negative)

30. might – (dream/ambition)

31. might – (guess)

32. may not – (negative)

33. may – (present guess)

34. may not – (negative future)

35. may – (reason-based)

36. may not – (negative)

37. might – (plan)

38. may not – (negative)

39. might – (emphasis on uncertainty)

40. might – (remote possibility)

41. may not – (negative)

42. might – (present perfect guess)

43. may – (suggestion)

44. may not – (negative)

45. may not – (negative)

46. might – (past possibility)

47. may – (advice)

48. might – (less certain)

49. may not – (negative)

50. might – (very uncertain)


General Rule

  • May = more possible / formal / permission.
  • Might = less possible / more hesitant / informal.
  • May not / Might not = negative possibility. Both are often interchangeable, but may not is slightly more formal.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

PTE Reading & Writing Fill in the Blanks

30 New Challenging Sets for PTE Reading & Writing Fill in the Blanks (Advanced Collocations | 4–5 Gaps Each | Options in Single Line F...