Friday, 4 September 2026

Day 4 Complete Guide to "Shall" and "Should" in English

Day 4 Complete Guide to "Shall" and "Should" in English

Here is a comprehensive guide on the use of "Shall" and "Should" in various situations, with rules, tips, and examples in both English and Nepali.


1. SHALL - प्रयोग र नियमहरू

A. Future with "I" and "We" (भविष्य / गर्नेछु, गर्नेछौं)

Used to talk about the future, especially with "I" and "We." (More common in British English)

Simple Future

Shall + Verb (Base Form)

I shall arrive at 5 PM.

म ५ बजे आइपुग्नेछु।

We Future

Shall + Verb (Base Form)

We shall meet again.

हामी फेरि भेट्नेछौं।

More Examples:

  • English: I shall always remember this day.
  • Nepali: म यो दिन सधैं सम्झिरहनेछु।
  • English: We shall never give up.
  • Nepali: हामी कहिल्यै हार मान्नेछैनौं।

B. Offers & Suggestions (प्रस्ताव र सुझाव / गरौं?)

Used to make offers or suggestions, especially in questions with "I" and "We."

Suggestion

Shall + I/We + Verb?

Shall we go to the cinema?

के हामी सिनेमा जाऔं?

Offer

Shall + I + Verb?

Shall I carry your bag?

के म तपाईंको झोला बोकिदिऊं?

Asking Opinion

Shall + I + Verb?

What shall I wear?

म के लगाऊं?

More Examples:

  • English: Shall I open the window?
  • Nepali: के म झ्याल खोलिदिऊं?
  • English: Where shall we eat tonight?
  • Nepali: आज राति हामी कहाँ खाऔं?
  • English: Shall we start the meeting now?
  • Nepali: के हामी अहिले बैठक सुरु गरौं?

C. Promises & Strong Intentions (प्रतिज्ञा / अवश्य गर्नेछु)

Used to make promises or express strong determination.

Promise

Shall + Verb (Base Form)

I shall return your book tomorrow.

म भोलि तपाईंको किताब फिर्ता गर्नेछु।

Determination

Shall + Verb (Base Form)

We shall succeed!

हामी अवश्य सफल हुनेछौं!

More Examples:

  • English: I shall never forget your kindness.
  • Nepali: म तपाईंको दयालुता कहिल्यै बिर्सनेछैन।
  • English: We shall overcome this challenge.
  • Nepali: हामी यो चुनौती पार गर्नेछौं।

D. Rules & Regulations (नियम / गर्नु पर्नेछ)

Used in formal documents, laws, or rules.

Formal Rule

Shall + Verb (Base Form)

All employees shall wear uniforms.

सबै कर्मचारीले युनिफर्म लगाउनु पर्नेछ।

Legal Document

Shall + Verb (Base Form)

The tenant shall pay rent on time.

भाडावालले समयमै भाडा तिर्नु पर्नेछ।

More Examples:

  • English: All students shall submit their assignments.
  • Nepali: सबै विद्यार्थीहरूले आफ्नो कार्य बुझाउनु पर्नेछ।
  • English: The company shall compensate the damages.
  • Nepali: कम्पनीले क्षतिपूर्ति तिर्नु पर्नेछ।


2. SHOULD - प्रयोग र नियमहरू

A. Advice (सल्लाह / गर्नु पर्छ)

Used to give advice or recommendations.

Recommendation

Should + Verb (Base Form)

You should eat more vegetables.

तपाईंले धेरै तरकारी खानु पर्छ।

Advice

Should + Verb (Base Form)

She should see a doctor.

उनी डाक्टर जानु पर्छ।

Strong Advice

Should + Verb (Base Form)

You should apologize to him.

तपाईंले उनीसँग माफी माग्नु पर्छ।

More Examples:

  • English: You should exercise regularly.
  • Nepali: तपाईंले नियमित व्यायाम गर्नुपर्छ।
  • English: Students should study at least two hours daily.
  • Nepali: विद्यार्थीहरूले दैनिक कम्तीमा दुई घण्टा पढ्नु पर्छ।

B. Obligation (अनिवार्यता / गर्नु पर्छ)

Used to talk about mild obligation or duty.

Mild Obligation

Should + Verb (Base Form)

We should respect our elders.

हामीले वृद्धहरूको आदर गर्नुपर्छ।

Responsibility

Should + Verb (Base Form)

Parents should care for their children.

आमाबाबुले आफ्ना बच्चाहरूको हेरचाह गर्नुपर्छ।

More Examples:

  • English: People should follow traffic rules.
  • Nepali: मानिसहरूले ट्राफिक नियम पालना गर्नुपर्छ।
  • English: Citizens should vote in elections.
  • Nepali: नागरिकहरूले निर्वाचनमा मतदान गर्नुपर्छ।

C. Expectation (अपेक्षा / हुनु पर्छ)

Used to say what is likely or expected.

Expectation

Should + Verb (Base Form)

The train should arrive soon.

रेल चाँडै आइपुग्नु पर्छ।

Probability

Should + Verb (Base Form)

She should be at work now.

उनी अहिले काममा हुनु पर्छ।

More Examples:

  • English: They should be home by 6 PM.
  • Nepali: उनीहरू ६ बजे सम्म घर पुग्नु पर्छ।
  • English: The package should arrive tomorrow.
  • Nepali: प्याकेज भोलि आइपुग्नु पर्छ।

D. Suggestions (सुझाव / गर्नु पर्छ)

Used to make suggestions or offer opinions.

Suggestion

Should + Verb (Base Form)

You should try this restaurant.

तपाईंले यो रेस्टुरेन्ट आजमाउनु पर्छ।

Opinion

Should + Verb (Base Form)

I think we should leave now.

मलाई लाग्छ हामीले अहिले जानु पर्छ।

More Examples:

  • English: We should buy a new car.
  • Nepali: हामीले नयाँ गाडी किन्नु पर्छ।
  • English: She should apply for that job.
  • Nepali: उनले त्यो जागिरको लागि आवेदन दिनु पर्छ।

E. Regret / Mistake (अफसोस / गर्नु पर्थ्यो)

Used to talk about past mistakes or regrets.

Past Mistake

Should have + Past Participle

I should have studied harder.

मैले कडा अध्ययन गर्नु पर्थ्यो।

Regret

Should have + Past Participle

She should have called me.

उनले मलाई फोन गर्नु पर्थ्यो।

More Examples:

  • English: We should have left earlier.
  • Nepali: हामीले चाँडै हिड्नु पर्थ्यो।
  • English: He should have told the truth.
  • Nepali: उनले सत्य भन्नु पर्थ्यो।

F. Criticism (आलोचना / गर्नु पर्थ्यो)

Used to criticize someone's past actions.

Criticism

Should have + Past Participle

You should have told me earlier.

तपाईंले मलाई पहिले नै भन्नु पर्थ्यो।

Mild Criticism

Should have + Past Participle

They should have waited for us.

उनीहरूले हामीलाई पर्खनु पर्थ्यो।

More Examples:

  • English: He should have asked for permission.
  • Nepali: उनले अनुमति माग्नु पर्थ्यो।
  • English: We should have been more careful.
  • Nepali: हामीले अझ सतर्क हुनु पर्थ्यो।

G. Negative Form: Should Not / Shouldn't (गर्नु हुँदैन)

Used to give negative advice or say something is a bad idea.

Negative Advice

Should not / Shouldn't + Verb

You shouldn't eat too much sugar.

तपाईंले धेरै चिनी खानु हुँदैन।

Warning

Should not / Shouldn't + Verb

People shouldn't smoke in public.

मानिसहरूले सार्वजनिक स्थानमा धुम्रपान गर्न हुँदैन।

More Examples:

  • English: You shouldn't waste your time.
  • Nepali: तपाईंले आफ्नो समय बर्बाद गर्न हुँदैन।
  • English: Children shouldn't watch too much TV.
  • Nepali: बच्चाहरूले धेरै टिभी हेर्नु हुँदैन।


3. QUICK COMPARISON: SHALL vs SHOULD vs WILL

Future (I/We)

✅ I shall go.

❌ No

✅ I will go.

म जानेछु।

Suggestion

✅ Shall we go?

✅ We should go.

❌ No

के हामी जाऔं?

Advice

❌ No

✅ You should go.

❌ No

तपाईं जानु पर्छ।

Promise

✅ I shall help.

❌ No

✅ I will help.

म सहायता गर्नेछु।

Obligation

✅ (Formal)

✅ (Mild)

❌ No

गर्नु पर्छ

Past Regret

❌ No

✅ Should have gone

❌ No

जानु पर्थ्यो

Prediction

❌ No

✅ It should rain

✅ It will rain

पानी पर्नेछ


4. COMMON MISTAKES (नेपाली विद्यार्थीहरूले गर्ने गल्तीहरू)

Mistake ❌Correction ✅Explanation

I shall to go.

I shall go.

"Shall" + Base Form

You shall study more.

You should study more.

Use "should" for advice

She should to come.

She should come.

"Should" + Base Form

He should went.

He should go.

"Should" + Base Form

I should like tea.

I would like tea.

"Should" ≠ "Would like"

We should have went.

We should have gone.

Should have + Past Participle

Golden Rule:
Shall/Should + Verb (Base Form) → No "to", no past form.

✅ I shall go.
✅ You should study.
✅ She should have arrived.


5. SHALL vs SHOULD: DETAILED COMPARISON

A. Future Actions (भविष्य)

Shall (I/We)Should (I/We)Nepali

I shall see you tomorrow.

I should see you tomorrow (Not future)

म भोलि तपाईंलाई भेट्नेछु।

We shall start the project.

We should start the project (Advice)

हामी परियोजना सुरु गर्नेछौं।


B. Suggestions (सुझाव)

Shall (Question)Should (Statement)Nepali

Shall we go? (Suggestion)

We should go. (Advice)

के हामी जाऔं?

Shall I open it? (Offer)

I should open it. (Duty)

के म खोलिदिऊं?


C. Obligation (अनिवार्यता)

All citizens shall pay tax.

People should pay tax.

सबै नागरिकले कर तिर्नु पर्छ।

Students shall attend class.

Students should attend class.

विद्यार्थीहरूले कक्षा लिनु पर्छ।


6. ADVANCED STRUCTURES WITH SHALL & SHOULD

A. Shall We...? (सुझाव)

Shall we + V

Shall we go for a walk?

के हामी घुम्न जाऔं?

Shall I + V

Shall I help you?

के म तपाईंलाई सहायता गरुँ?


B. Should + Be + Verb+ing (Continuous)

Should be + V+ing

You should be studying now.

तपाईं अहिले पढिरहेको हुनु पर्छ।

Should be + V+ing

She should be sleeping.

उनी सुतिरहेकी हुनु पर्छ।


C. Should + Have + V3 (Past Regret)

Should have + V3

I should have listened to you.

मैले तपाईंको सुन्नु पर्थ्यो।

Should have + V3

We should have waited.

हामीले पर्खनु पर्थ्यो।


D. Shouldn't Have + V3 (Wrong Past Action)

Shouldn't have + V3

I shouldn't have said that.

मैले त्यो भन्नु हुँदैनथ्यो।

Shouldn't have + V3

She shouldn't have left early.

उनले चाँडै जानु हुँदैनथ्यो।


E. Should in Question Tags (प्रश्नको अन्त्य)

Should + Tag

We should go, shouldn't we?

हामी जानु पर्छ, होइन र?

Should + Tag

She shouldn't worry, should she?

उनले चिन्ता गर्नु हुँदैन, होइन र?


7. TIPS FOR IELTS USING SHALL & SHOULD

Tip Example

Speaking: Use "shall" for polite suggestions

Shall we move on to the next point?

Writing Task 2: Use "should" for recommendations

Governments should invest in education.

Writing Task 2: Use "shouldn't" for negative advice

People shouldn't ignore climate change.

Speaking Part 3: Use "should have" for regrets

Governments should have acted earlier.

Writing Task 1: Avoid "shall" (formal/legal)

Use "will" for future predictions instead.

Speaking Part 2: Use "should" for opinions

I should mention that...


8. EXAMPLES IN DIFFERENT CONTEXTS

English:

Governments should prioritize renewable energy sources. Citizens should be educated about environmental issues. Additionally, industries should reduce their carbon emissions. If we should fail to act now, future generations will suffer.

Nepali:

सरकारहरूले नवीकरणीय ऊर्जा स्रोतहरूलाई प्राथमिकता दिनु पर्छ। नागरिकहरूलाई वातावरणीय मुद्दाहरूको बारेमा शिक्षित गर्नुपर्छ। साथै, उद्योगहरूले आफ्नो कार्बन उत्सर्जन घटाउनु पर्छ। यदि हामीले अहिले कार्य गर्न सकेनौं भने, भावी पुस्ताहरू पीडित हुनेछन्।


B. IELTS Speaking Part 2 (Cue Card)

English:

If I could choose any place to visit, I should definitely go to Japan. Shall I explain why? The culture is fascinating. Tourists should visit during spring to see cherry blossoms. I should have gone there last year, but I was too busy. Should I go next year? Yes, I definitely shall!

Nepali:

यदि म कुनै ठाउँ यात्रा गर्न सक्छु भने, म निश्चित रूपमा जापान जानु पर्छ। के म कारण बताऊं? संस्कृति अत्यन्तै रोचक छ। पर्यटकहरूले वसन्त ऋतुमा चेरी फूल हेर्न जानु पर्छ। म गएको वर्ष गएको हुनु पर्थ्यो, तर म धेरै व्यस्त थिएँ। के म अर्को वर्ष जाऊं? हो, म अवश्य जानेछु!


C. Everyday Conversations (दैनिक कुराकानी)

English:

A: Shall we order pizza tonight?
B: That sounds great! What should we order?
A: We should try the new Italian place.
B: I should have saved some money for this.
A: Don't worry, I shall pay today.
B: You shouldn't do that! I'll pay next time.

Nepali:

A: के हामी आज राति पिज्जा अर्डर गरौं?
B:
त्यो राम्रो सुनिन्छ! हामीले के अर्डर गर्नुपर्छ?
A:
हामीले नयाँ इटालियन रेस्टुरेन्ट आजमाउनु पर्छ।
B:
मैले यसको लागि केही पैसा बचाएको हुनु पर्थ्यो।
A:
चिन्ता नलिनुहोस्, म आज तिर्नेछु।
B:
तपाईंले त्यो गर्नु हुँदैन! म अर्को पटक तिर्छु।


9. PRACTICE EXERCISES

Exercise 1: Fill in the blanks with Shall, Should, or Should Have

__________ we go for a walk?

के हामी घुम्न जाऔं?

You __________ eat more fruits.

तपाईंले धेरै फलफूल खानु पर्छ।

I __________ have called you earlier.

मैले तपाईंलाई पहिले नै फोन गर्नु पर्थ्यो।

__________ I open the window?

के म झ्याल खोलिदिऊं?

Children __________ watch so much TV.

बच्चाहरूले धेरै टिभी हेर्नु हुँदैन।

The train __________ arrive at 5 PM.

रेल ५ बजे आइपुग्नु पर्छ।

We __________ have left earlier.

हामीले चाँडै हिड्नु पर्थ्यो।

__________ we start the meeting?

के हामी बैठक सुरु गरौं?

You __________ have told me the truth.

तपाईंले मलाई सत्य भन्नु पर्थ्यो।

He __________ apologize to her.

उनले उनीसँग माफी माग्नु पर्छ।


Exercise 2: Choose the correct answer

"__________ we go to the park?"

a) Shall b) Should

के हामी पार्क जाऔं?

"You __________ study for the exam."

a) shall b) should

तपाईंले परीक्षाको लागि पढ्नु पर्छ।

"I __________ have called you."

a) should b) shall

मैले तपाईंलाई फोन गर्नु पर्थ्यो।

"__________ I help you with that?"

a) Should b) Shall

के म त्यसमा सहायता गरुँ?

"People __________ drive carefully."

a) shall b) should

मानिसहरूले सावधानीपूर्वक चलाउनु पर्छ।

"We __________ have waited for her."

a) should b) shall

हामीले उनलाई पर्खनु पर्थ्यो।

"__________ we invite them?"

a) Should b) Shall

के हामी उनीहरूलाई निम्तो दिऔं?

"You __________ have told me earlier!"

a) should b) shall

तपाईंले मलाई पहिले नै भन्नु पर्थ्यो!


Answers (Check Yourself):

Exercise 1:

1.      Shall

2.      should

3.      should

4.      Shall

5.      shouldn't

6.      should

7.      should

8.      Shall

9.      should

10. should

Exercise 2:

1.      a) Shall

2.      b) should

3.      a) should

4.      b) Shall

5.      b) should

6.      a) should

7.      b) Shall

8.      a) should


10. SUMMARY TABLE: SHALL vs SHOULD

Future (I/We)

✅ Yes

❌ No

गर्नेछु/गर्नेछौं

Suggestions (Questions)

✅ Shall we?

❌ No

गरौं?

Offer (Questions)

✅ Shall I?

❌ No

गरुँ?

Advice

❌ No

✅ You should

गर्नु पर्छ

Mild Obligation

❌ No

✅ We should

गर्नु पर्छ

Past Regret

❌ No

✅ Should have

गर्नु पर्थ्यो

Expectation

❌ No

✅ It should

हुनु पर्छ

Formal Rules

✅ Employees shall

❌ No

गर्नु पर्नेछ

Negative Advice

❌ No

✅ Shouldn't

गर्नु हुँदैन

Criticism

❌ No

✅ Should have

गर्नु पर्थ्यो


11. QUICK TIPS FOR IELTS

Tip Example

Writing Task 2: Use "should" for recommendations

Governments should invest more in healthcare.

Writing Task 2: Use "shouldn't" for criticism

Companies shouldn't ignore environmental laws.

Writing Task 2: Use "should have" for past mistakes

Governments should have acted sooner.

Speaking Part 2: Use "shall" for offers/suggestions

Shall I tell you about my experience?

Speaking Part 3: Use "should" for opinions

I think people should recycle more.

Speaking Part 1: Use "should" for daily habits

I should exercise more often.


12. DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SHOULD & MUST

Should (सल्लाह)Must (अनिवार्य)Nepali

You should see a doctor. (Advice)

You must see a doctor. (Emergency)

तपाईं डाक्टर जानु पर्छ।

We should be quiet. (Polite)

We must be quiet. (Strong rule)

हामी चुप हुनु पर्छ।

I should go now. (Suggestion)

I must go now. (Strong need)

म अहिले जानु पर्छ।


13. RAPID FIRE QUIZ

Change these sentences using Should/Shouldn't/Shall:

It is a good idea to eat healthy.

स्वस्थ खाना खानु राम्रो हो।

You __________________

It is not a good idea to smoke.

धुम्रपान गर्नु राम्रो होइन।

You __________________

Let's go to the mall!

हामी मल जाऔं!

__________ we __________________?

I regret not saving money.

मैले पैसा बचाएको भए राम्रो हुन्थ्यो।

I __________________

It is likely to rain today.

आज पानी पर्ने सम्भावना छ।

It __________________


Answers:

1.      should eat healthy.

2.      shouldn't smoke.

3.      Shall we go to the mall?

4.      I should have saved money.

5.      It should rain today.

 

50 Examples Using "Shall" and "Should" in English, with Nepali Translations

Rules (Briefly)

  • Shall = Used for future actions (with I/We), offers, suggestions, and formal rules (obligation).
  • Should = Used for advice, recommendations, expectations, and moral duty.

Part 1: SHALL (Future, Offers, Suggestions, Rules)

1. Future (I / We)

  • English: I shall call you tomorrow.
  • Nepali: म तिमीलाई भोलि फोन गर्नेछु। (Ma timilai bholi phone garnechu.)

2. Future (I / We)

  • English: We shall arrive at the station at 6 PM.
  • Nepali: हामी साँझ ६ बजे स्टेसन पुग्नेछौं। (Hami saanjh 6 baje station pugnechhau.)

3. Offer (I / We)

  • English: Shall I open the window?
  • Nepali: के म झ्याल खोलिदिऊँ? (Ke ma jhyal kholidiun?)

4. Offer (I / We)

  • English: Shall we go for a walk?
  • Nepali: के हामी हिँड्न जाऔं? (Ke hami hidna jaun?)

5. Suggestion

  • English: Shall we eat dinner now?
  • Nepali: के हामी अहिले खाना खाऔं? (Ke hami ahile khana khaun?)

6. Formal Rule (Legal)

  • English: The tenant shall pay the rent on time.
  • Nepali: भाडादारले समयमा भाडा तिर्नेछ। (Bhadadarle samayma bhada tirnechha.)

7. Formal Rule (Legal)

  • English: Employees shall wear a uniform.
  • Nepali: कर्मचारीहरूले पोशाक लगाउनेछन्। (Karmachariharule poshak lagaunechhan.)

8. Promise (I / We)

  • English: I shall never forget your kindness.
  • Nepali: म तपाईंको दयालुता कहिल्यै बिर्सनेछैन। (Ma tapainko dayaluta kahilei birsanechain.)

9. Threat (Formal)

  • English: You shall pay for this mistake.
  • Nepali: तिमीले यस गल्तीको मूल्य चुक्ता गर्नेछौ। (Timile yas galtiko mulya chukta garnechhau.)

10. Invitation

  • English: Shall we dance?
  • Nepali: के हामी नाचौं? (Ke hami nachaun?)

11. Formal Question

  • English: What shall I do now?
  • Nepali: म अहिले के गरूँ? (Ma ahile ke garun?)

12. Offering Help

  • English: Shall I carry that bag for you?
  • Nepali: के म तिम्रो लागि त्यो झोला बोकिदिऊँ? (Ke ma timro lagi tyo jhola bokidiun?)

13. Future Plan

  • English: We shall meet again someday.
  • Nepali: हामी कुनै दिन फेरि भेट्नेछौं। (Hami kunai din feri bhetnechhau.)

14. Making a Decision (Spontaneous)

  • English: I shall have the chicken, please.
  • Nepali: म कुखुराको मासु लिन्छु, कृपया। (Ma kukhurako masu linchu, kripaya.)

15. Formal Instruction

  • English: Students shall remain silent in the library.
  • Nepali: विद्यार्थीहरू पुस्तकालयमा मौन बस्नेछन्। (Vidyarthiharule pustakalayama maun basnechhan.)

16. Suggestion (with We)

  • English: Shall we start the meeting?
  • Nepali: के हामी सभा सुरु गरौं? (Ke hami sabha suru garaun?)

17. Asking for Permission (Formal)

  • English: Shall I come in, sir?
  • Nepali: के म भित्र आउँ, सर? (Ke ma bhitra aun, sar?)

18. Destiny

  • English: We shall overcome this difficulty.
  • Nepali: हामी यो कठिनाई पार गर्नेछौं। (Hami yo kathinai paar garnechhau.)

19. Offer (Drinks)

  • English: What shall I get you to drink?
  • Nepali: म तपाईंलाई के पिउन दिऊँ? (Ma tapainlai ke piuna diun?)

20. Future Condition

  • English: If we go, we shall take the bus.
  • Nepali: यदि हामी जान्छौं भने, बस चढ्नेछौं। (Yadi hami janchhau bhane, bas chadhnechhau.)

21. Expression of Determination

  • English: I shall succeed in my life.
  • Nepali: म मेरो जीवनमा सफल हुनेछु। (Ma mero jivanma safal hunechu.)

22. Asking for Agreement

  • English: Shall we go by taxi?
  • Nepali: के हामी ट्याक्सीमा जाऔं? (Ke hami taxi ma jaun?)

23. Offering a Choice

  • English: Which one shall I buy?
  • Nepali: म कुन चिज किनूँ? (Ma kun chij kinun?)

24. Legal Obligation

  • English: The driver shall not exceed the speed limit.
  • Nepali: चालकले गति सीमा नाघ्नेछैन। (Chalekle gati sima naghnechain.)

25. Formal Promise

  • English: The government shall provide free education.
  • Nepali: सरकारले निःशुल्क शिक्षा प्रदान गर्नेछ। (Sarkarle nishulk shiksha pradan garnechha.)

Part 2: SHOULD (Advice, Recommendation, Expectation, Duty)

26. Advice

  • English: You should drink more water.
  • Nepali: तपाईंले धेरै पानी पिउनु पर्छ। (Tapainle dherai pani piunu parcha.)

27. Recommendation

  • English: You should see that movie. It’s great.
  • Nepali: तपाईंले त्यो चलचित्र हेर्नु पर्छ। यो राम्रो छ। (Tapainle tyo chalchitra hernu parcha. Yo ramro cha.)

28. Expectation

  • English: The bus should be here by 5 PM.
  • Nepali: बस बेलुका ५ बजेसम्म आइपुग्नु पर्छ। (Bas beluka 5 bajesamma aaipugnu parcha.)

29. Moral Duty

  • English: We should help poor people.
  • Nepali: हामीले गरिब मानिसहरूलाई सहायता गर्नु पर्छ। (Hamile garib manisharulai sahayata garnu parcha.)

30. Giving Opinion

  • English: You should not eat too much sugar.
  • Nepali: तपाईंले धेरै चिनी खानु हुँदैन। (Tapainle dherai chini khanu hudaina.)

31. Correcting a Mistake

  • English: You should have told me earlier.
  • Nepali: तपाईंले मलाई पहिले नै भन्नु पर्ने थियो। (Tapainle malai pahile nai bhannu parne thiyo.)

32. Regret (Should have)

  • English: I should have studied harder for the exam.
  • Nepali: मैले परीक्षाको लागि अझ राम्रोसँग पढ्नु पर्ने थियो। (Maile parikshako lagi ajha ramrosanga padhnu parne thiyo.)

33. Expectation (Future)

  • English: The weather should be nice tomorrow.
  • Nepali: भोलि मौसम राम्रो हुनु पर्छ। (Bholi mausam ramro hunu parcha.)

34. Advice (Negative)

  • English: Children should not play with fire.
  • Nepali: बालबालिकाहरूले आगो संग खेल्नु हुँदैन। (Balbalikaharule aago sanga khelnu hudaina.)

35. Suggesting an Alternative

  • English: You should try the new restaurant.
  • Nepali: तपाईंले नयाँ रेस्टुरेन्टमा खाना खानु पर्छ। (Tapainle naya restaurant ma khana khannu parcha.)

36. Logical Deduction

  • English: He should be at work right now.
  • Nepali: ऊ अहिले काममा हुनु पर्छ। (U ahile kamma hunu parcha.)

37. Asking for Advice

  • English: What should I wear to the party?
  • Nepali: म पार्टीमा के लगाउनु? (Ma party ma ke lagaunu?)

38. Giving Strong Advice

  • English: You really should visit Nepal.
  • Nepali: तपाईंले साँच्चै नेपाल घुम्नु पर्छ। (Tapainle sachchai Nepal ghumnu parcha.)

39. Obligation (Weak)

  • English: People should be kind to animals.
  • Nepali: मानिसहरू जनावर प्रति दयालु हुनु पर्छ। (Manisaharu janawar prati dayalu hunu parcha.)

40. Past Mistake

  • English: I should not have said that.
  • Nepali: मैले त्यो कुरा भन्नु हुँदैन थियो। (Maile tyo kura bhannu hudaina thiyo.)

41. Expectation (Quality)

  • English: This recipe should feed 6 people.
  • Nepali: यो रेसिपीले ६ जनालाई पुग्नु पर्छ। (Yo recipe le 6 janalai pugnu parcha.)

42. Suggestion (Polite)

  • English: We should probably leave now.
  • Nepali: हामी अहिले नै हिँड्नु पर्छ होला। (Hami ahile nai hidnu parcha hola.)

43. Duty

  • English: A student should do their homework.
  • Nepali: विद्यार्थीले गृहकार्य गर्नु पर्छ। (Vidyarthile grihakarya garnu parcha.)

44. Possibility/Probability

  • English: The price should be around $10.
  • Nepali: मूल्य करिब $10 हुनु पर्छ। (Mulya karib $10 hunu parcha.)

45. Health Advice

  • English: You should get more sleep.
  • Nepali: तपाईंले अझ बढी निद्रा गर्नु पर्छ। (Tapainle ajha badhi nidra garnu parcha.)

46. Workplace Advice

  • English: You should talk to your boss about that.
  • Nepali: तपाईंले त्यस बारे आफ्नो मालिकसँग कुरा गर्नु पर्छ। (Tapainle tyas bare aafno malik sanga kura garnu parcha.)

47. Expectation (Time)

  • English: The mail should arrive soon.
  • Nepali: चिठी चाँडै आइपुग्नु पर्छ। (Chithi chadai aaipugnu parcha.)

48. Moral Advice

  • English: We should respect our elders.
  • Nepali: हामीले ठूलाबडाहरूको सम्मान गर्नु पर्छ। (Hamile thulabadaharuko samman garnu parcha.)

49. Regret (Past)

  • English: She should have accepted the job.
  • Nepali: उनले जागिर स्वीकार गर्नु पर्ने थियो। (Unle jagir swikar garnu parne thiyo.)

50. Recommendation (Negative)

  • English: You should not drive so fast.
  • Nepali: तपाईंले यति छिटो गाडी चलाउनु हुँदैन। (Tapainle yati chito gadi chalaunu hudaina.)

20 Fill-in-the-Blank Exercises: Shall / Should

Fill in the Blanks

1.      You look tired. You __________ (shall/should) take some rest.

2.      I __________ (shall/should) never forget the day we first met.

3.      __________ (Shall/Should) we invite them to the party?

4.      Students __________ (shall/should) arrive at school before 9 AM. (School rule)

5.      He __________ (shall/should) be at the office by now. It's 10 AM.

6.      __________ (Shall/Should) I carry your luggage for you?

7.      You __________ (shall/should) not waste your time on useless things.

8.      We __________ (shall/should) leave now, or we'll miss the bus. (Advice)

9.      The applicant __________ (shall/should) submit all documents by Friday. (Legal requirement)

10. __________ (Shall/Should) we go to the park this evening?

11. She __________ (shall/should) have called me before coming.

12. You __________ (shall/should) eat more vegetables for good health.

13. I __________ (shall/should) be there at 5 PM sharp. (Promise)

14. What __________ (shall/should) I wear to the interview?

15. People __________ (shall/should) always tell the truth.

16. __________ (Shall/Should) I book the tickets online?

17. The train __________ (shall/should) have arrived by now. (Expectation)

18. We __________ (shall/should) not have eaten so much pizza. (Regret)

19. If we win, we __________ (shall/should) celebrate all night. (Future plan)

20. You __________ (shall/should) see a doctor immediately. (Strong advice)


Answers with Short Reasons

No.

Answer

Reason

1

should

Giving advice to a tired person.

2

shall

Expressing a promise for the future (with I).

3

Shall

Making a suggestion/offer (with We).

4

shall

A formal rule/regulation (school policy).

5

should

Showing logical expectation (it is likely).

6

Shall

Offering help (with I).

7

should

Giving advice (telling someone what is right).

8

should

Giving advice about the right action.

9

shall

Legal/formal obligation (requirement).

10

Shall

Making a suggestion (with We).

11

should

Expressing regret about a past action (should have).

12

should

Giving health advice.

13

shall

Making a promise about the future (with I).

14

shall

Asking for suggestion/permission (with I).

15

should

Expressing moral duty (what is right).

16

Shall

Offering to do something for someone (help).

17

should

Logical expectation about the present/past.

18

should

Expressing regret about a past action (shouldn't have).

19

shall

Talking about a future plan (with We).

20

should

Giving strong advice or recommendation.


Quick Revision Tip

  • Shall = Future actions (I/We), offers, suggestions, formal rules.
  • Should = Advice, recommendations, expectations, moral duty, regrets.

 

20 Fill-in-the-Blank Exercises: Shall / Should

Fill in the Blanks

1.      You look tired. You __________ (shall/should) take some rest.

2.      I __________ (shall/should) never forget the day we first met.

3.      __________ (Shall/Should) we invite them to the party?

4.      Students __________ (shall/should) arrive at school before 9 AM. (School rule)

5.      He __________ (shall/should) be at the office by now. It's 10 AM.

6.      __________ (Shall/Should) I carry your luggage for you?

7.      You __________ (shall/should) not waste your time on useless things.

8.      We __________ (shall/should) leave now, or we'll miss the bus. (Advice)

9.      The applicant __________ (shall/should) submit all documents by Friday. (Legal requirement)

10. __________ (Shall/Should) we go to the park this evening?

11. She __________ (shall/should) have called me before coming.

12. You __________ (shall/should) eat more vegetables for good health.

13. I __________ (shall/should) be there at 5 PM sharp. (Promise)

14. What __________ (shall/should) I wear to the interview?

15. People __________ (shall/should) always tell the truth.

16. __________ (Shall/Should) I book the tickets online?

17. The train __________ (shall/should) have arrived by now. (Expectation)

18. We __________ (shall/should) not have eaten so much pizza. (Regret)

19. If we win, we __________ (shall/should) celebrate all night. (Future plan)

20. You __________ (shall/should) see a doctor immediately. (Strong advice)


Answers with Short Reasons

No.

Answer

Reason

1

should

Giving advice to a tired person.

2

shall

Expressing a promise for the future (with I).

3

Shall

Making a suggestion/offer (with We).

4

shall

A formal rule/regulation (school policy).

5

should

Showing logical expectation (it is likely).

6

Shall

Offering help (with I).

7

should

Giving advice (telling someone what is right).

8

should

Giving advice about the right action.

9

shall

Legal/formal obligation (requirement).

10

Shall

Making a suggestion (with We).

11

should

Expressing regret about a past action (should have).

12

should

Giving health advice.

13

shall

Making a promise about the future (with I).

14

shall

Asking for suggestion/permission (with I).

15

should

Expressing moral duty (what is right).

16

Shall

Offering to do something for someone (help).

17

should

Logical expectation about the present/past.

18

should

Expressing regret about a past action (shouldn't have).

19

shall

Talking about a future plan (with We).

20

should

Giving strong advice or recommendation.


Quick Revision Tip

  • Shall = Future actions (I/We), offers, suggestions, formal rules.
  • Should = Advice, recommendations, expectations, moral duty, regrets.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

PTE Reading & Writing Fill in the Blanks

30 New Challenging Sets for PTE Reading & Writing Fill in the Blanks (Advanced Collocations | 4–5 Gaps Each | Options in Single Line F...