Day 7 Complete Guide to "Have To," "Has To," and "Had To" in English
1. HAVE TO / HAS TO - प्रयोग र नियमहरू
A. External Obligation (बाह्य अनिवार्यता / गर्नु पर्छ)
Used to express
obligation that comes from outside (rules, laws, other people).
|
External Obligation |
Have to +
Verb (Base Form) |
I have to wear a uniform at
work. |
मैले काममा
युनिफर्म लगाउनु पर्छ। |
|
External Obligation |
Has to +
Verb (Base Form) |
She has to wake up early every
day. |
उनी हरेक दिन
चाँडै उठ्नु पर्छ। |
|
Rules/Laws |
Have to +
Verb (Base Form) |
You have to stop at red lights. |
तपाईंले रातो
बत्तीमा रोकिनु पर्छ। |
More Examples:
- English: Students have
to wear uniforms in this school.
- Nepali: यस विद्यालयमा विद्यार्थीहरूले युनिफर्म लगाउनु पर्छ।
- English: He has
to attend the meeting tomorrow.
- Nepali: उनले भोलि बैठकमा सहभागी हुनु पर्छ।
- English: I have
to pay my taxes every year.
- Nepali: मैले हरेक वर्ष कर तिर्नु पर्छ।
B. Necessity (आवश्यकता / गर्नु पर्छ)
Used to express that
something is necessary.
|
Necessity |
Have to +
Verb (Base Form) |
We have to buy food for the
week. |
हामीले हप्ताको
लागि
खाना किन्नु पर्छ। |
|
Personal Need |
Have to +
Verb (Base Form) |
I have to visit the doctor. |
म डाक्टर जानु पर्छ। |
More Examples:
- English: They have
to find a new apartment.
- Nepali: उनीहरूले नयाँ अपार्टमेन्ट
खोज्नु पर्छ।
- English: She has
to study for her exams.
- Nepali: उनले आफ्नो परीक्षाको
लागि पढ्नु पर्छ।
C. Negative Form: Don't/Doesn't Have To (गर्नु पर्दैन)
Used to express that
something is NOT necessary.
|
Lack of Necessity |
Don't have
to + Verb |
You don't have to come early
today. |
तपाईं आज
चाँडै आउनु पर्दैन। |
|
Lack of Necessity |
Doesn't
have to + Verb |
She doesn't have to wear a tie. |
उनले टाई लगाउनु पर्दैन। |
More Examples:
- English: We don't
have to pay for parking.
- Nepali: हामीले पार्किङको लागि तिर्नु पर्दैन।
- English: He doesn't
have to work on Sundays.
- Nepali: उनले आइतवार काम गर्नु पर्दैन।
D. Question Form: Do/Does + Subject + Have
To? (के...गर्नु पर्छ?)
Used to ask about
obligation or necessity.
|
Asking Necessity |
Do +
I/you/we/they + have to? |
Do I have to pay now? |
के मैले
अहिले तिर्नु पर्छ? |
|
Asking Necessity |
Does +
he/she/it + have to? |
Does she have to work today? |
के उनले
आज काम गर्नु
पर्छ? |
More Examples:
- English: Do we have to book tickets in advance?
- Nepali: के हामीले टिकट पहिले नै बुक गर्नु पर्छ?
- English: Does he have to attend the training?
- Nepali: के उनले तालिममा सहभागी हुनु पर्छ?
2. HAD TO - प्रयोग र नियमहरू
A. Past Obligation (भूतकालको अनिवार्यता / गर्नु पर्यो)
Used to express
obligation or necessity in the past.
|
Past Obligation |
Had to +
Verb (Base Form) |
I had to work late yesterday. |
मैले हिजो
ढिलो
सम्म काम गर्नु
पर्यो। |
|
Past Necessity |
Had to +
Verb (Base Form) |
She had to take the bus because
her car broke down. |
उनको गाडी
बिग्रिएकोले
उनले
बस चढ्नु पर्यो। |
More Examples:
- English: We had
to cancel our trip due to the weather.
- Nepali: हामीले मौसमको कारण यात्रा रद्द गर्नु पर्यो।
- English: He had
to apologize for his mistake.
- Nepali: उनले आफ्नो गल्तीको लागि माफी माग्नु पर्यो।
- English: They had
to wait for two hours.
- Nepali: उनीहरूले दुई घण्टा पर्खनु पर्यो।
B. Negative Form: Didn't Have To (गर्नु परेन)
Used to express that
something was NOT necessary in the past.
|
Lack of Past Necessity |
Didn't
have to + Verb |
I didn't have to go to work
yesterday. |
मैले हिजो
काम जानु परेन। |
|
Lack of Past Necessity |
Didn't
have to + Verb |
She didn't have to pay for the
meal. |
उनले खानाको
लागि तिर्नु परेन। |
More Examples:
- English: We didn't
have to wait long.
- Nepali: हामीले धेरै पर्खनु परेन।
- English: He didn't
have to bring anything.
- Nepali: उनले केही ल्याउनु परेन।
C. Question Form: Did + Subject + Have To? (के...गर्नु पर्यो?)
Used to ask about
past obligation.
|
Asking Past Obligation |
Did +
I/you/we/they + have to? |
Did you have to work on Sunday? |
के तपाईंले
आइतवार काम गर्नु
पर्यो? |
|
Asking Past Obligation |
Did +
he/she + have to? |
Did she have to wait long? |
के उनले
धेरै पर्खनु पर्यो? |
More Examples:
- English: Did they have to pay a fine?
- Nepali: के उनीहरूले जरिवाना तिर्नु पर्यो?
- English: Did he have to leave early?
- Nepali: के उनले चाँडै जानु पर्यो?
D. "Had to" vs "Must
have" (फरक)
| Had to (Obligation - काम गर्नु पर्यो) | Must have (Deduction - गरेको हुनु पर्छ) | Nepali |
| :--- | :--- | :--- | :--- |
| I had to go to work. (Necessity) | I must have
left my keys. (Conclusion) | मैले काम जानु पर्यो। / मैले साँचो छोडेको हुनु पर्छ। |
| She had to take medicine. (She needed to) | She must
have taken medicine. (I think she did) | उनले औषधि खानु पर्यो। / उनले औषधि खाएको हुनु पर्छ। |
HAVE TO / HAS TO - प्रयोग र नियमहरू
A. Present Obligation (वर्तमानको अनिवार्यता / गर्नु पर्छ)
Used to express
obligation or necessity in the present/future that comes from outside (rules,
laws, other people).
|
I / You / We / They |
Have to + Verb |
I have to go to work. |
म काम जानु पर्छ। |
|
He / She / It |
Has to + Verb |
She has to study hard. |
उनले कडा पढ्नु पर्छ। |
More Examples:
- English: We have to wear uniforms at school.
- Nepali: हामीले विद्यालयमा युनिफर्म लगाउनु पर्छ।
- English: He has to pay the bills today.
- Nepali: उनले आज बिल तिर्नु पर्छ।
- English: You have to follow the rules.
- Nepali: तपाईंले नियमहरू पालना गर्नु पर्छ।
B. Necessity (आवश्यकता / गर्नु पर्छ)
Used to express that
something is necessary.
|
Necessity |
Have to +
Verb |
We have to buy groceries. |
हामीले किराना
सामान किन्नु पर्छ। |
|
Personal Need |
Has to +
Verb |
She has to visit the doctor. |
उनी डाक्टर जानु पर्छ। |
More Examples:
- English: They have to find a new apartment.
- Nepali: उनीहरूले नयाँ अपार्टमेन्ट
खोज्नु पर्छ।
- English: My father has to work on Sundays.
- Nepali: मेरो बुबाले आइतवार काम गर्नु पर्छ।
C. Negative Form: Don't / Doesn't Have To (गर्नु पर्दैन)
Used to express that
something is NOT necessary.
|
I / You / We / They |
Don't have to + Verb |
You don't have to come early. |
तपाईं चाँडै आउनु पर्दैन। |
|
He / She / It |
Doesn't have to + Verb |
She doesn't have to wear a tie. |
उनले टाई लगाउनु पर्दैन। |
More Examples:
- English: We don't have to pay for parking.
- Nepali: हामीले पार्किङको लागि तिर्नु पर्दैन।
- English: He doesn't have to work on weekends.
- Nepali: उनले साताको अन्त्यमा काम गर्नु पर्दैन।
D. Question Form: Do / Does + Subject + Have
To? (के...गर्नु पर्छ?)
Used to ask about
obligation or necessity.
|
I / You / We / They |
Do + Subject + have to? |
Do I have to pay now? |
के मैले
अहिले तिर्नु पर्छ? |
|
He / She / It |
Does + Subject + have to? |
Does she have to work today? |
के उनले
आज काम गर्नु
पर्छ? |
More Examples:
- English: Do we have to book tickets in advance?
- Nepali: के हामीले टिकट पहिले नै बुक गर्नु पर्छ?
- English: Does he have to attend the meeting?
- Nepali: के उनले बैठकमा सहभागी हुनु पर्छ?
2. HAD TO - प्रयोग र नियमहरू
A. Past Obligation (भूतकालको अनिवार्यता / गर्नु पर्यो)
Used to express
obligation or necessity in the past. (Used with ALL subjects)
|
All Subjects |
Had to + Verb |
I had to work late yesterday. |
मैले हिजो
ढिलो
सम्म काम गर्नु
पर्यो। |
|
All Subjects |
Had to + Verb |
She had to take the bus. |
उनले बस चढ्नु पर्यो। |
More Examples:
- English: We had to cancel our trip due to the weather.
- Nepali: हामीले मौसमको कारण यात्रा रद्द गर्नु पर्यो।
- English: He had to apologize for his mistake.
- Nepali: उनले आफ्नो गल्तीको लागि माफी माग्नु पर्यो।
- English: They had to wait for two hours.
- Nepali: उनीहरूले दुई घण्टा पर्खनु पर्यो।
B. Negative Form: Didn't Have To (गर्नु परेन)
Used to express that
something was NOT necessary in the past.
|
All Subjects |
Didn't have to + Verb |
I didn't have to go to work
yesterday. |
मैले हिजो
काम जानु परेन। |
|
All Subjects |
Didn't have to + Verb |
She didn't have to pay for the
meal. |
उनले खानाको
लागि तिर्नु परेन। |
More Examples:
- English: We didn't have to wait long.
- Nepali: हामीले धेरै पर्खनु परेन।
- English: He didn't have to bring anything.
- Nepali: उनले केही ल्याउनु परेन।
C. Question Form: Did + Subject + Have To? (के...गर्नु पर्यो?)
Used to ask about
past obligation.
|
All Subjects |
Did + Subject + have to? |
Did you have to work on Sunday? |
के तपाईंले
आइतवार काम गर्नु
पर्यो? |
|
All Subjects |
Did + Subject + have to? |
Did she have to wait long? |
के उनले
धेरै पर्खनु पर्यो? |
More Examples:
- English: Did they have to pay a fine?
- Nepali: के उनीहरूले जरिवाना तिर्नु पर्यो?
- English: Did he have to leave early?
- Nepali: के उनले चाँडै जानु पर्यो?
3. QUICK COMPARISON: HAVE TO vs MUST vs SHOULD
|
Strong Obligation (Rule) |
✅ You have to
wear a seatbelt. |
✅ You must wear a
seatbelt. |
❌ No |
तपाईंले सिटबेल्ट लगाउनु पर्छ। |
|
Advice (Not Obligation) |
❌ No |
❌ No |
✅ You should
exercise. |
तपाईं व्यायाम गर्नु
पर्छ
(सल्लाह) |
|
External Obligation |
✅ I have to go.
(Boss said) |
❌ No |
❌ No |
म जानु पर्छ
(बाह्य) |
|
Internal Obligation |
❌ No |
✅ I must go. (I
feel it) |
❌ No |
म जानु पर्छ
(आन्तरिक) |
|
Past Obligation |
✅ I had to go. |
❌ No |
❌ No |
म जानु पर्यो। |
|
Lack of Necessity |
✅ Don't have to go |
❌ No |
❌ No |
जानु पर्दैन। |
|
Prohibition |
❌ No |
✅ Mustn't go |
✅ Shouldn't go |
जानु हुँदैन। |
4. COMMON MISTAKES (नेपाली विद्यार्थीहरूले गर्ने गल्तीहरू)
|
Mistake ❌Correction ✅Explanation |
||
|
I have to to go. |
I have to go. |
"Have
to" + Base Form |
|
She has to went. |
She has to go. |
"Has
to" + Base Form |
|
I had to went. |
I had to go. |
"Had
to" + Base Form |
|
She have to work. |
She has to work. |
Use
"has" with he/she/it |
|
They has to study. |
They have to study. |
Use
"have" with they/we/I/you |
|
I must to go yesterday. |
I had to go yesterday. |
Use
"Had to" for past |
|
I don't have went. |
I didn't have to go. |
Past
negative form |
Golden Rules:
|
Rule Example |
|
|
Have to/Has to + Verb
(Base Form) |
✅ I have to go. / She has to study. |
|
Had to + Verb (Base Form) |
✅ I had to work yesterday. |
|
Don't/Doesn't Have to + Verb
(Base Form) |
✅ You don't have to pay. |
|
Didn't Have to + Verb
(Base Form) |
✅ She didn't have to wait. |
5. HAVE TO vs HAS TO: DETAILED COMPARISON
|
I |
Have to |
I have to study. |
मैले पढ्नु पर्छ। |
|
You |
Have to |
You have to work. |
तपाईंले काम गर्नु
पर्छ। |
|
We |
Have to |
We have to leave. |
हामीले जानु पर्छ। |
|
They |
Have to |
They have to wait. |
उनीहरूले पर्खनु पर्छ। |
|
He |
Has to |
He has to arrive early. |
उनी चाँडै आइपुग्नु पर्छ। |
|
She |
Has to |
She has to call him. |
उनले उनलाई फोन गर्नु
पर्छ। |
|
It |
Has to |
It has to be done. |
यो गर्नु पर्छ। |
6. ADVANCED STRUCTURES WITH HAVE TO / HAS TO / HAD TO
A. Have/Has/Had + To + Be + V+ing
(Continuous Obligation)
|
Have to be
+ V+ing |
I have to be studying now. |
म अहिले पढिरहेको हुनु
पर्छ। |
||
|
Had to be
+ V+ing |
She had to be working all night. |
उनी रातभर काम गरिरहेको
हुनु
पर्यो। |
||
B. Have/Has/Had + To + Have + V3 (Past
Necessity)
|
Have to
have + V3 |
They have to have finished by now. |
उनीहरूले अहिले
सम्म सकिसकेको हुनु
पर्छ। |
|
Had to
have + V3 |
I had to have left earlier. |
मैले चाँडै गएको
हुनु
पर्छ। |
C. Don't Have To vs Mustn't (फरक)
Don't Have To (आवश्यक छैन) | Mustn't
(निषेध) | Nepali |
You don't have to wear a tie. (Not necessary) | You mustn't
wear a tie. (Not allowed) | तपाईंले टाई लगाउनु पर्दैन। / लगाउनु हुँदैन। |
| You don't have to come. (Optional) | You mustn't
come. (Prohibited) | तपाईंले आउनु पर्दैन। / आउनु हुँदैन। |
D. Had to vs Didn't Have to (Past)
| Had to (गर्नु पर्यो) |
Didn't Have to (गर्नु परेन) | Nepali
|
I had to pay. (I paid)
| I didn't have to pay. (I didn't pay) | मैले तिर्नु पर्यो। / तिर्नु परेन। |
She had to go. (She
went) | She didn't have to go. (She didn't go) | उनी जानु पर्यो। / जानु परेन। |
7. TIPS FOR IELTS USING HAVE TO / HAS TO / HAD TO
|
Tip Example |
|
|
Writing Task 2: Use "have to" for
external requirements |
Citizens have to follow the law. |
|
Writing Task 2: Use "had to" for past
necessity |
Governments
had to impose restrictions. |
|
Writing Task 2: Use "don't have to" for
optional things |
People don't have to pay for this
service. |
|
Speaking Part 2: Use "have to" for
personal obligations |
I have to complete my project. |
|
Speaking Part 3: Use "had to" for past
experiences |
I had to work hard to succeed. |
|
Avoid confusion: "Must" = internal,
"Have to" = external |
I must study. (I want to) / I have to study. (Teacher says) |
8. EXAMPLES IN DIFFERENT CONTEXTS
A. IELTS Writing Task 2 (Essay)
English:
In
today's world, governments have to address environmental
issues urgently. Citizens have to adopt sustainable
lifestyles. Developing nations had to overcome many obstacles
in the past. However, they don't have to repeat the same
mistakes as developed countries. In order to succeed, we have to
work together. Companies have to reduce their carbon
footprint. While individuals have to make small changes, the
real impact will come from collective action. We had to learn
from history to build a better future.
Nepali:
आजको
संसारमा, सरकारहरूले वातावरणीय मुद्दाहरूलाई अवश्य सम्बोधन गर्नु पर्छ। नागरिकहरूले दिगो जीवनशैली अपनाउनु पर्छ। विकासशील देशहरूले विगतमा धेरै बाधाहरू पार गर्नु पर्यो। यद्यपि, उनीहरूले विकसित देशहरूले गरेका गल्तीहरू दोहोर्याउनु पर्दैन। सफल हुनको लागि, हामीले मिलेर काम गर्नु पर्छ। कम्पनीहरूले आफ्नो कार्बन उत्सर्जन घटाउनु पर्छ। जबकि व्यक्तिहरूले साना परिवर्तनहरू गर्नु पर्छ, वास्तविक प्रभाव सामूहिक कार्यबाट आउनेछ। हामीले राम्रो भविष्यको लागि इतिहासबाट सिक्नु पर्यो।
B. IELTS Speaking Part 2 (Cue Card)
English:
One
of the most challenging experiences in my life was when I had to
prepare for my university entrance exams. I had to study for
months without any break. My parents had to support me financially
during that time. I have to admit that it was extremely
stressful. However, because I had to work so hard, I learned
the value of dedication. Now, as a student, I have to manage
my time wisely. In the future, I have to decide between
further studies and a career. Although I don't have to make a
decision immediately, I have to start planning soon.
Nepali:
मेरो
जीवनको एउटा चुनौतीपूर्ण अनुभव थियो जब मैले विश्वविद्यालयको
प्रवेश परीक्षाको लागि तयारी गर्नुपर्यो। मैले महिनौंसम्म बिना विश्राम पढ्नु पर्यो। त्यस समयमा मेरा आमाबाबुले मलाई आर्थिक रूपमा सहयोग गर्नु पर्यो। मैले स्वीकार गर्नु पर्छ कि यो अत्यन्त तनावपूर्ण थियो। यद्यपि, मैले यति कडा मेहनत गर्नु परेकोले, मैले समर्पणको मूल्य सिकें। अहिले, एक विद्यार्थीको रूपमा, मैले आफ्नो समयको बुद्धिमानीपूर्वक
प्रबन्ध गर्नु पर्छ। भविष्यमा, मैले थप अध्ययन र करियर बीच निर्णय गर्नु पर्छ। यद्यपि मैले तुरुन्तै निर्णय गर्नु पर्दैन, मैले चाँडै योजना बनाउनु पर्छ।
C. Everyday Conversations (दैनिक कुराकानी)
English:
A: I have to go to the supermarket
today.
B: Do you have to go right now?
A: No, I don't have to go
immediately. I can go later.
B: Does your sister have to
come with you?
A: No, she doesn't have to
come. She has to study for her exam.
B: I had to go to the
supermarket yesterday, but I was very busy.
A: Did you have to buy a lot of
things?
B: Yes, I had to buy groceries
for the whole week.
Nepali:
A: मलाई आज सुपरमार्केट जानु पर्छ।
B: के तपाईंलाई अहिले जानु पर्छ?
A: होइन, मलाई तुरुन्तै जानु पर्दैन। म पछि जान सक्छु।
B: के तपाईंको बहिनीलाई तपाईंसँग आउनु पर्छ?
A: होइन, उनलाई आउनु पर्दैन। उनले आफ्नो परीक्षाको लागि पढ्नु पर्छ।
B: मलाई हिजो सुपरमार्केट जानु पर्यो, तर म धेरै व्यस्त थिएँ।
A: के तपाईंले धेरै सामान किन्नु पर्यो?
B: हो, मैले पूरा हप्ताको लागि किराना किन्नु पर्यो।
D. Formal Rules (औपचारिक नियम)
English:
All
employees have to wear identification badges. Visitors have
to sign in at the reception. Staff have to complete
safety training annually. In case of emergency, everyone has to
follow the evacuation procedure. Employees don't have to work
on public holidays unless necessary.
Nepali:
सबै
कर्मचारीहरूले पहिचान ब्याज लगाउनु पर्छ। आगन्तुकहरूले रिसेप्सनमा साइन गर्नु पर्छ। कर्मचारीहरूले वार्षिक सुरक्षा तालिम पूरा गर्नु पर्छ। आपतकालीन अवस्थामा, सबैले निकासी प्रक्रिया पालना गर्नु पर्छ। कर्मचारीहरूले आवश्यक नभएसम्म सार्वजनिक बिदाहरूमा काम गर्नु पर्दैन।
9. PRACTICE EXERCISES
Exercise 1: Fill in the blanks with Have to
or Has to
|
I ______
finish my homework tonight. |
मैले आज
राति
गृहकार्य सक्नु पर्छ। |
|
|
She ______
visit the doctor tomorrow. |
उनले भोलि
डाक्टर जानु पर्छ। |
|
|
We ______
buy a new car. |
हामीले नयाँ
गाडी किन्नु पर्छ। |
|
|
He ______
wake up early for work. |
उनी कामको
लागि
चाँडै उठ्नु पर्छ। |
|
|
They
______ pay the bills today. |
उनीहरूले आज
बिल तिर्नु पर्छ। |
|
|
My sister
______ study for her exam. |
मेरी बहिनीले
परीक्षाको
लागि पढ्नु पर्छ। |
Exercise 2: Fill in the blanks with
Don't/Doesn't Have to
|
You ______
come to the meeting if you're busy. |
तपाईं व्यस्त
हुनुहुन्छ
भने
बैठकमा आउनु पर्दैन। |
|
|
She ______
wear a uniform to school. |
उनले विद्यालयमा
युनिफर्म लगाउनु पर्दैन। |
|
|
We ______
book tickets in advance. |
हामीले टिकट
पहिले
नै बुक गर्नु
पर्दैन। |
|
|
He ______
bring anything to the party. |
उनले पार्टीमा
केही ल्याउनु पर्दैन। |
|
|
They
______ pay for parking here. |
उनीहरूले यहाँ
पार्किङको
लागि तिर्नु पर्दैन। |
|
|
I ______
go to the office today. |
मलाई आज
कार्यालय जानु पर्दैन। |
Exercise 3: Fill in the blanks with Had to
or Didn't Have to
|
I ______
work late yesterday. |
मैले हिजो
ढिलो
सम्म काम गर्नु
पर्यो। |
|
|
She ______
wait for the bus. |
उनले बसको
लागि पर्खनु पर्यो। |
|
|
We ______
pay for the meal. It was free. |
हामीले खानाको
लागि तिर्नु परेन।
यो
निःशुल्क
थियो। |
|
|
He ______
apologize for his mistake. |
उनले आफ्नो
गल्तीको
लागि माफी माग्नु
पर्यो। |
|
|
They
______ leave early because of the weather. |
उनीहरूले मौसमको
कारण
चाँडै जानु पर्यो। |
|
|
I ______
take the exam because I was sick. |
म बिरामी
भएकोले
परीक्षा दिनु परेन। |
Exercise 4: Choose the correct answer
|
"I
______ pay for this." |
a) have to
b) has to |
मैले यसको
लागि तिर्नु पर्छ। |
|
"She
______ leave early." |
a) have to
b) has to |
उनले चाँडै जानु पर्छ। |
|
"We
______ go to work yesterday." |
a) had to
b) have to |
हामीले हिजो
काम जानु पर्यो। |
|
"You
______ bring your ID." |
a) don't
have to b) doesn't have to |
तपाईंले आफ्नो
आईडी ल्याउनु पर्दैन। |
|
"He
______ study very hard." |
a) have to
b) has to |
उनले धेरै
मेहनत गर्नु पर्छ। |
|
"They
______ come to the party." (Not necessary) |
a) have to
b) don't have to |
उनीहरू पार्टीमा आउनु पर्दैन। |
Answers (Check Yourself):
Exercise 1:
1.
have
to
2.
has
to
3.
have
to
4.
has
to
5.
have
to
6.
has
to
Exercise 2:
1.
don't
have to
2.
doesn't
have to
3.
don't
have to
4.
doesn't
have to
5.
don't
have to
6.
don't
have to
Exercise 3:
1.
had
to
2.
had
to
3.
didn't
have to
4.
had
to
5.
had
to
6.
didn't
have to
Exercise 4:
1.
a) have to
2.
b) has to
3.
a) had to
4.
a) don't have to
5.
b) has to
6.
b) don't have to
10. SUMMARY TABLE: HAVE TO / HAS TO / HAD TO
|
Present (I/You/We/They) |
Have to go |
Don't have to go |
Do I have to go? |
जानु पर्छ
/ पर्दैन |
|
Present (He/She/It) |
Has to go |
Doesn't have to go |
Does she have to go? |
जानु पर्छ
/ पर्दैन |
|
Past (All) |
Had to go |
Didn't have to go |
Did you have to go? |
जानु पर्यो
/ परेन |
|
Future |
Will have to go |
Won't have to go |
Will you have to go? |
जानु पर्नेछ
/ पर्दैन |
11. FUTURE WITH "HAVE TO" - Will Have To
|
Will have
to + Verb |
I will have to work hard. |
मैले मेहनत गर्नु पर्नेछ। |
|
Will have
to + Verb |
She will have to wait. |
उनले पर्खनु पर्नेछ। |
|
Won't have
to + Verb |
We won't have to pay. |
हामीले तिर्नु पर्नेछैन। |
12. QUICK TIPS FOR IELTS
|
Tip Example |
|
|
Writing Task 2: Use "have to" for
external requirements |
Citizens have to obey the law. |
|
Writing Task 2: Use "had to" for past
necessity |
Governments
had to take emergency
measures. |
|
Writing Task 2: Use "don't have to" for
optional actions |
People don't have to pay for education. |
|
Speaking Part 2: Use "have to" for
personal obligations |
I have to manage my time
carefully. |
|
Speaking Part 3: Use "had to" for past
experiences |
I had to overcome many
difficulties. |
|
Avoid "must" for past |
Use
"had to" instead |
|
Avoid "have to" in positive
questions |
Do I have to go? (Not "Have I
to go?") |
13. RAPID FIRE QUIZ
Convert these
Nepali sentences to English using Have to/Has to/Had to:
|
Nepali SentenceEnglish
Sentence |
|
|
मलाई काम जानु पर्छ। |
I
__________ |
|
उनलाई पढ्न पर्छ। |
She
__________ |
|
हामीलाई हिजो
पर्खनु पर्यो। |
We
__________ |
|
तपाईंलाई तिर्नु पर्दैन। |
You
__________ |
|
के उनलाई
जानु पर्छ? |
__________
she __________? |
|
मलाई पहिले
नै गर्नु परेन। |
I
__________ |
Answers:
1.
I have to go to work.
2.
She has to study.
3.
We had to wait yesterday.
4.
You don't have to pay.
5.
Does she have to go?
6.
I didn't have to do it earlier.
14. FULL COMPARISON: ALL OBLIGATION MODALS
|
Must |
Strong |
Internal
(Speaker) |
I must study. |
म अवश्य पढ्नु
पर्छ। |
|
Have to |
Strong |
External
(Rules) |
I have to study. |
मैले पढ्नु पर्छ। |
|
Mustn't |
Prohibition |
Strong |
You mustn't smoke. |
तपाईं धुम्रपान गर्नु
हुँदैन। |
|
Don't Have to |
Lack of
necessity |
- |
You don't have to smoke. |
तपाईं धुम्रपान गर्नु
पर्दैन। |
|
Should |
Mild |
Advice |
You should exercise. |
तपाईं व्यायाम गर्नु
पर्छ
(सल्लाह) |
|
Ought to |
Mild |
Moral duty |
You ought to help. |
तपाईंले सहायता गर्नु
पर्छ
(नैतिक) |
|
Had to |
Past
Obligation |
External |
I had to work. |
मैले काम गर्नु
पर्यो। |
Fill in the Blanks (1–60)
1.
I ______ finish this project by
Monday because my boss said so. (must / have to / should)
2.
You ______ tell her the truth; it's
the right thing to do. (must / ought to / don't have to)
3.
He ______ wear a suit to the office;
it's company policy. (must / have to / should)
4.
You ______ touch that wire; it's
dangerous! (mustn't / don't have to / shouldn't)
5.
We ______ go to the party; we're not
invited anyway. (mustn't / don't have to / shouldn't)
6.
She ______ study harder if she wants
to pass. (must / ought to / has to)
7.
I ______ wake up early yesterday for
the flight. (had to / must / have to)
8.
You ______ apologise; it wasn't your
fault. (don't have to / mustn't / shouldn't)
9.
Children ______ play near the
railway tracks. (mustn't / don't have to / ought not to)
10.
We ______ respect our teachers. (must
/ ought to / have to) – moral duty
11.
He ______ take his medicine three
times a day (doctor's orders). (must / has to / should)
12.
You ______ eat junk food every day;
it's unhealthy. (shouldn't / mustn't / don't have to)
13.
They ______ complete the
registration before the deadline. (must / have to / ought to)
14.
I ______ leave early today; I have a
doctor's appointment. (must / have to / should)
15.
You ______ bring your own water; we
have plenty here. (don't have to / mustn't / shouldn't)
16.
She ______ be at the airport by 6
AM; her flight is at 8. (must / has to / should)
17.
We ______ clean the room; it's
already spotless. (don't have to / mustn't / shouldn't)
18.
He ______ work overtime last week to
meet the target. (had to / must / should)
19.
You ______ lie to your friends; it
breaks trust. (mustn't / shouldn't / don't have to)
20.
People ______ donate blood to save
lives. (should / must / have to) – moral suggestion
21.
I ______ carry an umbrella; the
forecast is clear. (don't have to / mustn't / shouldn't)
22.
You ______ wear a helmet while
riding a bike. (must / have to / ought to) – legal rule
23.
Students ______ talk during the
lecture. (mustn't / don't have to / shouldn't)
24.
We ______ leave now if we want to
catch the train. (must / have to / should)
25.
She ______ worry about me; I'll be
fine. (doesn't have to / mustn't / shouldn't)
26.
You ______ try this dish; it's
delicious! (should / must / ought to) – strong recommendation
27.
I ______ pay the fine yesterday; it
was overdue. (had to / must / have to)
28.
Employees ______ use office phones
for personal calls. (mustn't / don't have to / shouldn't)
29.
We ______ respect other people's
privacy. (ought to / must / have to) – moral duty
30.
He ______ attend the meeting; he's
not a member. (doesn't have to / mustn't / shouldn't)
31.
You ______ submit your passport for
verification. (must / have to / should) – official requirement
32.
They ______ tell anyone about this
secret. (mustn't / don't have to / shouldn't)
33.
I ______ finish this book; it's optional
reading. (don't have to / mustn't / shouldn't)
34.
She ______ be home before 10 PM; her
parents are strict. (must / has to / should)
35.
We ______ pay for the tickets
online; they accept cash too. (don't have to / mustn't / shouldn't)
36.
He ______ apologise to his sister
for breaking her toy. (ought to / must / have to) – moral duty
37.
You ______ drink and drive; it's
illegal. (mustn't / don't have to / shouldn't)
38.
I ______ buy groceries yesterday
because the shop was closed. (had to / must / have to)
39.
Citizens ______ vote in elections. (should
/ must / have to) – civic duty
40.
You ______ fill out this form; it's
mandatory. (must / have to / should)
41.
She ______ attend the class; it's
not compulsory. (doesn't have to / mustn't / shouldn't)
42.
He ______ take a break; he's been
working for hours. (should / ought to / must) – advice
43.
We ______ forget our cultural
values. (mustn't / shouldn't / don't have to)
44.
They ______ arrive early to get good
seats. (should / ought to / have to) – recommendation
45.
I ______ cook dinner tonight; we're
ordering pizza. (don't have to / mustn't / shouldn't)
46.
She ______ borrow money from her
father yesterday. (had to / must / have to)
47.
You ______ park here; it's a
no-parking zone. (mustn't / don't have to / shouldn't)
48.
Children ______ listen to their
parents. (ought to / must / have to) – moral obligation
49.
He ______ wake up early tomorrow for
the marathon. (must / has to / should) – personal commitment
50.
You ______ bring a gift to the
party, but it would be nice. (don't have to / mustn't / shouldn't)
51.
We ______ hurry; the movie is about
to start. (must / have to / should) – urgency
52.
She ______ tell him the bad news
gently. (ought to / must / has to) – moral advice
53.
I ______ wait for an hour at the
station yesterday. (had to / must / have to)
54.
Passengers ______ smoke on the
plane. (mustn't / don't have to / shouldn't)
55.
You ______ ask for permission before
using my phone. (should / ought to / must) – polite advice
56.
They ______ pay the bill; I already
covered it. (don't have to / mustn't / shouldn't)
57.
He ______ not gossip about his
colleagues. (ought to / must / should) – moral duty
58.
We ______ stop at the red light;
it's the law. (must / have to / should)
59.
She ______ wash the dishes; the
dishwasher does it. (doesn't have to / mustn't / shouldn't)
60.
You ______ have helped him; he was
in trouble. (ought to / must / had to) – past moral duty
Answers with Short Reasons
|
No. |
Answer |
Reason |
|
1 |
have to |
External rule (boss said so) |
|
2 |
ought to |
Moral duty (right thing) |
|
3 |
must /
have to |
Company policy (external) |
|
4 |
mustn't |
Strong prohibition (danger) |
|
5 |
don't
have to |
Lack of necessity (not invited) |
|
6 |
must /
ought to |
Strong internal / mild advice |
|
7 |
had to |
Past external obligation |
|
8 |
don't
have to |
Not necessary (not your fault) |
|
9 |
mustn't |
Strict safety prohibition |
|
10 |
ought to |
Moral duty (respect elders) |
|
11 |
has to |
External rule (doctor's orders) |
|
12 |
shouldn't |
Mild negative advice (healthy) |
|
13 |
must /
have to |
Deadline/requirement |
|
14 |
have to |
External reason (appointment) |
|
15 |
don't
have to |
Not necessary (water available) |
|
16 |
has to |
External schedule (flight) |
|
17 |
don't
have to |
Not necessary (already clean) |
|
18 |
had to |
Past obligation (target) |
|
19 |
mustn't
/ shouldn't |
Prohibition / strong advice |
|
20 |
should |
Moral suggestion (not compulsory) |
|
21 |
don't
have to |
Not necessary (clear forecast) |
|
22 |
must /
have to |
Legal rule (helmet) |
|
23 |
mustn't |
Strict classroom rule |
|
24 |
must /
have to |
External necessity (train) |
|
25 |
doesn't
have to |
Not necessary (I'm fine) |
|
26 |
must /
should |
Strong / mild recommendation |
|
27 |
had to |
Past obligation (overdue fine) |
|
28 |
mustn't |
Company prohibition |
|
29 |
ought to |
Moral duty (privacy) |
|
30 |
doesn't
have to |
Not required (not a member) |
|
31 |
must /
have to |
Official requirement |
|
32 |
mustn't |
Strong prohibition (secret) |
|
33 |
don't
have to |
Optional (not required) |
|
34 |
has to |
External rule (strict parents) |
|
35 |
don't
have to |
Not necessary (cash accepted) |
|
36 |
ought to |
Moral duty (apology) |
|
37 |
mustn't |
Legal prohibition (illegal) |
|
38 |
had to |
Past external necessity |
|
39 |
should |
Civic advice (not mandatory) |
|
40 |
must /
have to |
Mandatory (compulsory) |
|
41 |
doesn't
have to |
Not compulsory |
|
42 |
should /
ought to |
Mild advice (take a break) |
|
43 |
mustn't
/ shouldn't |
Prohibition / strong advice |
|
44 |
should /
ought to |
Recommendation (seats) |
|
45 |
don't
have to |
Not necessary (ordering pizza) |
|
46 |
had to |
Past obligation (borrowed money) |
|
47 |
mustn't |
Prohibition (no-parking) |
|
48 |
ought to |
Moral obligation (listen to
parents) |
|
49 |
must /
has to |
Personal commitment (marathon) |
|
50 |
don't
have to |
Not necessary (optional gift) |
|
51 |
must /
have to |
Urgency (movie starting) |
|
52 |
ought to |
Moral advice (gentle news) |
|
53 |
had to |
Past obligation (waited) |
|
54 |
mustn't |
Strict prohibition (smoking) |
|
55 |
should /
ought to |
Polite advice (ask permission) |
|
56 |
don't
have to |
Not necessary (already paid) |
|
57 |
ought to |
Moral duty (no gossip) |
|
58 |
must /
have to |
Legal rule (traffic light) |
|
59 |
doesn't
have to |
Not necessary (dishwasher) |
|
60 |
ought to |
Past moral duty (should have
helped) |
Complete Summary Chart
|
Modal |
Strength |
Type |
Use |
|
Must |
Strong |
Internal |
Personal obligation, logical
deduction |
|
Have to
/ Has to |
Strong |
External |
Rules, laws, others' requirements |
|
Had to |
Strong (past) |
External |
Past obligation |
|
Mustn't |
Strong |
Prohibition |
Something is forbidden |
|
Don't/Doesn't
Have to |
None |
Lack of necessity |
Something is optional |
|
Should |
Mild |
Advice |
Recommendation, opinion |
|
Ought to |
Mild |
Moral duty |
Ethical/moral obligation |
|
Shouldn't |
Mild |
Negative advice |
Recommendation against |
|
Ought
not to |
Mild |
Negative moral |
Moral disapproval |
Key Difference
- Must = internal or external compulsion / rule /
certainty
- Have to = external requirement / rule / necessity
- Mustn't = prohibition — something is not allowed
- Don't/doesn't have to = lack of necessity — something is optional
- Should = advice / recommendation
- Ought to = moral duty / good idea, generally less
forceful than must
No comments:
Post a Comment