Day 8 Complete Guide to "Was" and "Were" in English
1. WAS - प्रयोग र नियमहरू
A. Past Tense of "To Be" with
Singular Subjects (एकवचन कर्ताको साथ भूतकाल)
Used to describe
states, conditions, or identities in the past with singular subjects.
|
I |
Was |
I was a student. |
म विद्यार्थी थिएँ। |
|
He |
Was |
He was at home. |
उनी घरमा थिए। |
|
She |
Was |
She was happy. |
उनी खुशी थिइन्। |
|
It |
Was |
It was raining. |
पानी परिरहेको थियो। |
More Examples:
- English: I was born in Kathmandu.
- Nepali: म काठमाडौंमा जन्मिएको थिएँ।
- English: She was my best friend in school.
- Nepali: उनी विद्यालयमा मेरी सबैभन्दा मिल्ने साथी थिइन्।
- English: It was a beautiful day.
- Nepali: यो एउटा सुन्दर दिन थियो।
B. Past Continuous Tense (भूतकालको निरन्तर क्रिया)
Used to describe
actions that were ongoing in the past.
|
Ongoing Action |
Was +
V+ing |
I was reading a book. |
म एउटा
किताब पढिरहेको थिएँ। |
|
Ongoing Action |
Was +
V+ing |
She was cooking dinner. |
उनी खाना पकाइरहेकी थिइन्। |
More Examples:
- English: He was sleeping when I called.
- Nepali: मैले फोन गर्दा उनी सुतिरहेका थिए।
- English: They were watching TV. (Plural - were)
- Nepali: उनीहरू टिभी हेरिरहेका थिए।
C. Passive Voice (Passive Voice - कर्ता वाच्य)
Used to form past
passive sentences.
|
Passive (Singular) |
Was + V3 |
The letter
was written by her. |
पत्र उनले लेखिएको थियो। |
|
Passive (Singular) |
Was + V3 |
The house was built in 1990. |
घर १९९०
मा निर्माण भएको
थियो। |
More Examples:
- English: The cake was eaten by the children.
- Nepali: केक बच्चाहरूले खाइएको थियो।
- English: The book was published last year.
- Nepali: किताब गत वर्ष प्रकाशित भएको थियो।
2. WERE - प्रयोग र नियमहरू
A. Past Tense of "To Be" with
Plural Subjects (बहुवचन कर्ताको साथ भूतकाल)
Used to describe
states, conditions, or identities in the past with plural subjects.
|
We |
Were |
We were students. |
हामी विद्यार्थी थियौं। |
|
You |
Were |
You were at home. |
तपाईंहरू घरमा हुनुहुन्थ्यो। |
|
They |
Were |
They were happy. |
उनीहरू खुशी थिए। |
More Examples:
- English: We were in the same class.
- Nepali: हामी एउटै कक्षामा थियौं।
- English: They were my neighbours.
- Nepali: उनीहरू मेरा छिमेकी थिए।
- English: You were very helpful.
- Nepali: तपाईंहरू धेरै सहायक हुनुहुन्थ्यो।
B. Past Continuous Tense (Plural) (भूतकालको निरन्तर क्रिया - बहुवचन)
Used to describe
ongoing actions in the past with plural subjects.
|
Ongoing Action |
Were +
V+ing |
We were playing football. |
हामी फुटबल खेलिरहेका थियौं। |
|
Ongoing Action |
Were +
V+ing |
They were studying all night. |
उनीहरू रातभर पढिरहेका थिए। |
More Examples:
- English: You were waiting for me.
- Nepali: तपाईंहरू मेरो लागि पर्खिरहनुभएको थियो।
- English: The children were playing in the garden.
- Nepali: बच्चाहरू बगैंचामा खेलिरहेका थिए।
C. Passive Voice (Plural) (Passive Voice - बहुवचन)
Used to form past
passive sentences with plural subjects.
|
Passive (Plural) |
Were + V3 |
The books were written by him. |
किताबहरू उनले लेखिएका थिए। |
|
Passive (Plural) |
Were + V3 |
The houses
were built last year. |
घरहरू गत
वर्ष निर्माण भएका
थिए। |
More Examples:
- English: The cakes were eaten by the children.
- Nepali: केकहरू बच्चाहरूले खाइएका थिए।
- English: The emails were sent yesterday.
- Nepali: इमेलहरू हिजो पठाइएका थिए।
D. "Were" in Second Conditional (दोस्रो सर्तात्मक)
Used in hypothetical
or unreal situations (If I were...).
|
Hypothetical |
Were +
Subject |
If I were rich, I would travel. |
म धनी
भएको
भए,
यात्रा
गर्थें। |
|
Unreal Situation |
Were +
Subject |
If he were here, he would help. |
उनी यहाँ
भएको
भए,
सहायता
गर्थे। |
More Examples:
- English: I wish I were
taller.
- Nepali: म अग्लो भएको हुन्थ्यो भनेर चाहन्छु।
- English: If she were
more careful, she wouldn't make mistakes.
- Nepali: उनी अझ सावधान भएको भए, गल्ती गर्दिनथिन्।
Important Note: "If I were" is used for hypothetical/unreal
situations. "If I was" is used for past real situations.
3. QUICK COMPARISON: WAS vs WERE
|
I |
✅ I was |
❌ No |
म थिएँ |
|
He |
✅ He was |
❌ No |
उनी थिए |
|
She |
✅ She was |
❌ No |
उनी थिइन् |
|
It |
✅ It was |
❌ No |
यो थियो |
|
We |
❌ No |
✅ We were |
हामी थियौं |
|
You |
❌ No |
✅ You were |
तपाईं हुनुहुन्थ्यो |
|
They |
❌ No |
✅ They were |
उनीहरू थिए |
|
Hypothetical (If) |
❌ No |
✅ If I were |
यदि म भएको भए |
4. COMMON MISTAKES (नेपाली विद्यार्थीहरूले गर्ने गल्तीहरू)
|
Mistake ❌Correction ✅Explanation |
||
|
I were happy. |
I was happy. |
Use
"was" with "I" |
|
She were at home. |
She was at home. |
Use
"was" with "she" |
|
We was students. |
We were students. |
Use
"were" with "we" |
|
They was playing. |
They were playing. |
Use
"were" with "they" |
|
If I was rich... (Hypothetical) |
If I were rich... |
Use
"were" for hypothetical |
|
He were sleeping. |
He was sleeping. |
Use
"was" with "he" |
|
You was wrong. |
You were wrong. |
Use
"were" with "you" |
Golden Rules:
|
Rule Example |
|
|
Singular: I/He/She/It → Was |
✅ I was happy. / She was late. |
|
Plural: We/You/They → Were |
✅ We were students. / They were early. |
|
Hypothetical: If I were... (Unreal) |
✅ If I were you, I would go. |
|
Past Real: If I was... (Real past) |
✅ If I was late, I apologized. |
5. WAS vs WERE: DETAILED COMPARISON
A. Subject-Verb Agreement (कर्ता-क्रिया मेल)
|
I |
Was |
I was tired. |
म थकित थिएँ। |
|
He |
Was |
He was a doctor. |
उनी डाक्टर थिए। |
|
She |
Was |
She was beautiful. |
उनी सुन्दर थिइन्। |
|
It |
Was |
It was cold. |
यो चिसो थियो। |
|
We |
Were |
We were happy. |
हामी खुशी थियौं। |
|
You |
Were |
You were right. |
तपाईं सही हुनुहुन्थ्यो। |
|
They |
Were |
They were friends. |
उनीहरू साथी थिए। |
B. Past Continuous Tense (भूतकालको निरन्तर क्रिया)
|
I |
Was + V+ing |
I was sleeping. |
म सुतिरहेको थिएँ। |
|
He/She/It |
Was + V+ing |
She was reading. |
उनी पढिरहेकी थिइन्। |
|
We/You/They |
Were + V+ing |
They were playing. |
उनीहरू खेलिरहेका थिए। |
C. Passive Voice (Passive Voice)
|
I/He/She/It |
Was + V3 |
The cake was eaten. |
केक खाइएको थियो। |
|
We/You/They |
Were + V3 |
The books were read. |
किताबहरू पढिएका थिए। |
D. Negative Form (नकारात्मक रूप)
|
Was not /
Wasn't |
I wasn't at home. |
म घरमा थिइन। |
|
Was not /
Wasn't |
He wasn't happy. |
उनी खुशी थिएनन्। |
|
Were not /
Weren't |
We weren't there. |
हामी त्यहाँ थिएनौं। |
|
Were not /
Weren't |
They weren't late. |
उनीहरू ढिलो थिएनन्। |
E. Question Form (प्रश्न रूप)
|
Was +
Subject? |
Was I wrong? |
के म गलत थिएँ? |
|
Was +
Subject? |
Was she tired? |
के उनी थकित थिइन्? |
|
Were +
Subject? |
Were you happy? |
के तपाईंहरू
खुशी हुनुहुन्थ्यो? |
|
Were +
Subject? |
Were they at home? |
के उनीहरू
घरमा थिए? |
6. ADVANCED STRUCTURES WITH WAS & WERE
A. Was/Were + Going To (भविष्यको योजना - भूतकाल)
Used to express past
intentions or plans that didn't happen.
|
Was going
to + V |
I was going to call you. |
म तपाईंलाई फोन गर्न
लागेको
थिएँ। |
|
Were going
to + V |
We were going to travel. |
हामी यात्रा गर्न लागेका
थियौं। |
More Examples:
- English: She was going to buy a new car.
- Nepali: उनी नयाँ गाडी किन्न लागेकी थिइन्।
- English: They were going to visit us.
- Nepali: उनीहरू हामीलाई भेट्न लागेका थिए।
B. Was/Were + To + Verb (Formal Future in
Past)
Used to talk about
scheduled events in the past.
|
Was to + V |
He was to arrive at 5 PM. |
उनी ५
बजे आइपुग्ने थिए। |
|
Were to +
V |
They were to meet at 6 PM. |
उनीहरू ६
बजे भेट्ने थिए। |
C. Was/Were + Supposed To (अपेक्षा)
Used to talk about
expectations.
|
Was
supposed to + V |
I was supposed to work today. |
म आज काम गर्ने
भनिएको
थियो। |
|
Were
supposed to + V |
They were supposed to call me. |
उनीहरूले मलाई फोन गर्ने
भनिएको
थियो। |
D. Was/Were + Able To (सक्नु - भूतकाल)
Used to express
ability in the past for specific situations.
|
Was able
to + V |
I was able to finish it. |
म यो सक्न सफल
भएँ। |
|
Were able
to + V |
They were able to escape. |
उनीहरू भाग्न सफल भए। |
Note: "Could" is used for general past ability,
while "was/were able to" is used for specific achievements.
E. If I Were You (हाइपोथेटिकल)
Used for giving
advice in hypothetical situations.
|
If I were
you, + would |
If I were you, I would study. |
म तपाईंको
ठाउँमा
भए,
पढ्थें। |
|
If I were
you, + would |
If I were you, I would apologize. |
म तपाईंको
ठाउँमा
भए,
माफी
माग्थें। |
7. TIPS FOR IELTS USING WAS & WERE
|
Tip Example |
|
|
Speaking Part 2: Use "was/were" to
describe past events |
I was born in a small village. |
|
Speaking Part 2: Use past continuous with
"was/were" |
I was studying when my friend
called. |
|
Writing Task 2: Use "was/were" for past examples |
The
situation was different in the past. |
|
Writing Task 2: Use passive voice with
"was/were" |
The policy
was implemented in 2015. |
|
Speaking Part 3: Use "If I were" for
hypothetical |
If I were in charge, I would
invest more. |
|
Avoid overusing "was/were" |
Use varied
verbs like "appeared," "seemed," "existed." |
8. EXAMPLES IN DIFFERENT CONTEXTS
A. IELTS Writing Task 2 (Essay)
English:
In
the past, education was only available to the wealthy.
However, things were different before the industrial
revolution. Many children were forced to work instead of
study. The situation was particularly difficult for girls. In
many countries, schools were not built in rural areas. The
literacy rate was very low. Today, the situation was
transformed. If I were to describe the changes, I would say
they were revolutionary. Governments were
able to make education accessible to all. This was a
significant achievement.
Nepali:
विगतमा, शिक्षा केवल धनीहरूको लागि उपलब्ध थियो। यद्यपि, औद्योगिक क्रान्ति अघि चीजहरू फरक थिए। धेरै बच्चाहरू अध्ययन गर्नुको सट्टा काम गर्न बाध्य थिए। अवस्था केटीहरूको लागि विशेष गरी कठिन थियो। धेरै देशहरूमा, ग्रामीण क्षेत्रहरूमा विद्यालयहरू निर्माण भएका थिएनन्। साक्षरता दर धेरै कम थियो। आज, अवस्था रूपान्तरित भयो। यदि म परिवर्तनहरू वर्णन गर्नु भएको भए, म तिनीहरू क्रान्तिकारी थिए भन्थें। सरकारहरू सबैको लागि शिक्षा पहुँचयोग्य बनाउन सफल भए। यो एउटा महत्वपूर्ण उपलब्धि थियो।
B. IELTS Speaking Part 2 (Cue Card)
English:
I
would like to describe a memorable trip I was on. It was
two years ago when I was travelling to the mountains. I was
with my family. The weather was perfect, and the views were
breathtaking. We were hiking through the forest when we saw a
beautiful waterfall. I was amazed by the natural beauty. The
locals were very friendly and helpful. If I were
to choose my favourite place, it would be that spot. I was
able to take many photographs. We were all very happy during
that trip. It was truly unforgettable.
Nepali:
म एउटा यादगार यात्राको बारेमा वर्णन गर्न चाहन्छु जहाँ म थिएँ। यो दुई वर्ष अघि थियो जब म पहाडमा यात्रा गरिरहेको थिएँ। म आफ्नो परिवारसँग थिएँ। मौसम उत्तम थियो, र दृश्यहरू अद्भुत थिए। हामी जंगल मार्फत हिडिरहेका थियौं जब हामीले एउटा सुन्दर झरना देख्यौं। म प्राकृतिक सौन्दर्यले अचम्मित थिएँ। स्थानीय मानिसहरू धेरै मिलनसार र सहायक थिए। यदि म मेरो मनपर्ने ठाउँ छान्नु भएको भए, त्यो त्यही ठाउँ हुन्थ्यो। म धेरै तस्बिरहरू खिच्न सफल भएँ। हामी सबै त्यो यात्रामा धेरै खुशी थियौं। यो साँच्चै अविस्मरणीय थियो।
C. Everyday Conversations (दैनिक कुराकानी)
English:
A: Where were you yesterday?
B: I was at home all day.
A: Why were you not at the party?
B: I was feeling unwell.
A: Were you alone?
B: No, my sister was with me.
A: What were you doing?
B: We were watching a movie. It was
very interesting.
A: Were you able to finish it?
B: Yes, we were able to finish it.
Nepali:
A: तपाईं हिजो कहाँ हुनुहुन्थ्यो?
B: म दिनभर घरमै थिएँ।
A: तपाईं किन पार्टीमा हुनुहुन्थ्यो?
B: मलाई सन्चो थिएन।
A: के तपाईं एक्लै हुनुहुन्थ्यो?
B: होइन, मेरी बहिनी मसँग थिइन्।
A: तपाईं के गर्दै हुनुहुन्थ्यो?
B: हामी एउटा चलचित्र हेरिरहेका थियौं। यो धेरै रोचक थियो।
A: के तपाईं यो सक्न सफल हुनुभयो?
B: हो, हामी यो सक्न सफल भयौं।
D. Formal Writing (औपचारिक लेखन)
English:
The
meeting was held on Friday. All board members were
present. The agenda was discussed thoroughly. Several
decisions were made. The budget was approved
by the majority. The shareholders were informed of the
results. It was a productive session. The minutes were
recorded and distributed.
Nepali:
बैठक
शुक्रबार आयोजित भएको थियो। सबै सञ्चालक समिति सदस्यहरू उपस्थित थिए। कार्यसूची विस्तृत रूपमा छलफल गरियो। धेरै निर्णयहरू गरियो। बजेट बहुमतले अनुमोदन गरियो। सेयरधनीहरूलाई परिणामहरू जानकारी दिइयो। यो एउटा उत्पादक सत्र थियो। कार्यवृत्ति लेखिएको र वितरण गरियो।
9. PRACTICE EXERCISES
Exercise 1: Fill in the blanks with Was or
Were
|
I ______
very tired yesterday. |
म हिजो
धेरै थकित थिएँ। |
|
|
She ______
happy with the results. |
उनी परिणामबाट
खुशी थिइन्। |
|
|
We ______
at the cinema last night. |
हामी हिजो
राति
सिनेमामा थियौं। |
|
|
They ______
late for the meeting. |
उनीहरू बैठकको
लागि
ढिलो थिए। |
|
|
It ______
a wonderful experience. |
यो एउटा
अद्भुत
अनुभव थियो। |
|
|
You ______
very helpful. |
तपाईंहरू धेरै
सहायक हुनुहुन्थ्यो। |
|
|
He ______
my best friend. |
उनी मेरा
सबैभन्दा
मिल्ने
साथी थिए। |
Exercise 2: Fill in the blanks with Was/Were
or Wasn't/Weren't (Negative)
|
I ______
at home when you called. |
तपाईंले फोन
गर्दा
म
घरमा थिइन। |
|
|
She ______
happy with the news. |
उनी समाचारबाट
खुशी थिइनन्। |
|
|
We ______
invited to the party. |
हामी पार्टीमा निम्तो नभएका
थियौं। |
|
|
They
______ present at the meeting. |
उनीहरू बैठकमा उपस्थित थिएनन्। |
|
|
It ______
raining when we left. |
हामी जाँदा
पानी परिरहेको थिएन। |
|
|
You ______
there yesterday. |
तपाईंहरू हिजो
त्यहाँ हुनुहुन्थ्यो? |
12. DIFFERENCE BETWEEN WAS & WERE (Hypothetical)
|
If I was... (Real Past)If I
were... (Hypothetical)Nepali |
||
|
If I was late, I apologized.
(Real) |
If I were you, I would go.
(Unreal) |
यदि म
ढिलो
भएको थिएँ भने,
माफी
माग्थें।
/ यदि
म
तपाईं भएको भए,
जान्थें। |
|
If she was tired, she rested. (Real) |
If she were here, she would help.
(Unreal) |
यदि उनी
थकित थिइन् भने,
आराम
गरिन्।
/ यदि
उनी
यहाँ भएको भए,
सहायता
गर्थिन्। |
13. QUICK TIPS FOR IELTS
|
Tip Example |
|
|
Speaking: Use "was/were" to
describe past experiences |
I was born in Nepal. |
|
Writing Task 2: Use passive voice with
"was/were" |
The policy
was implemented in 2015. |
|
Speaking Part 2: Use past continuous |
I was studying when it
happened. |
|
Writing Task 2: Use "if I were" for
hypothetical |
If I were a policymaker, I
would... |
|
All Tasks: Avoid confusing "was"
and "were" |
I was (not "were") /
We were (not "was") |
|
All Tasks: Use "was/were" for
passive voice |
The
project was completed. |
14. RAPID FIRE QUIZ
Convert these
Nepali sentences to English using Was/Were:
|
म हिजो
व्यस्त थिएँ। |
I
__________ |
|
उनीहरू मेरा
साथी थिए। |
They
__________ |
|
हामी पार्कमा थियौं। |
We
__________ |
|
उनी सुन्दर थिइन्। |
She __________ |
|
मौसम राम्रो थियो। |
It
__________ |
|
तपाईंहरू सही हुनुहुन्थ्यो। |
You
__________ |
Answers:
1.
I was busy yesterday.
2.
They were my friends.
3.
We were in the park.
4.
She was beautiful.
5.
It was a nice weather.
6.
You were right.
15. FULL COMPARISON: PAST TENSE FORMS OF "TO BE"
|
Present Past Nepali |
||
|
I am |
I was |
म हुँ / थिएँ |
|
You are |
You were |
तपाईं हुनुहुन्छ / हुनुहुन्थ्यो |
|
He is |
He was |
उनी हुनुहुन्छ / हुनुहुन्थ्यो |
|
She is |
She was |
उनी हुनुहुन्छ / हुनुहुन्थ्यो |
|
It is |
It was |
यो हो / थियो |
|
We are |
We were |
हामी हौं / थियौं |
|
They are |
They were |
उनीहरू हुन् / थिए |
60
Fill-in-the-Blank Exercises: Was / Were
Fill
in the Blanks (1–60)
Past
States / Conditions
1.
I ______ very tired after the long
journey. (was / were)
2.
She ______ the best student in her
class. (was / were)
3.
We ______ really happy to see you. (was
/ were)
4.
They ______ at the cinema last
night. (was / were)
5.
He ______ a great musician in his
youth. (was / were)
6.
You ______ very kind to help me. (was
/ were)
7.
It ______ a beautiful sunny day. (was
/ were)
8.
The children ______ excited about
the trip. (was / were)
Past
Continuous (Actions in Progress)
9.
I ______ reading a book when you
called. (was / were)
10. She ______ cooking dinner at 7 PM. (was / were)
11. We ______ watching TV all evening. (was / were)
12. They ______ playing football in the park. (was / were)
13. He ______ sleeping when the earthquake happened. (was /
were)
14. You ______ talking too loudly in the library. (was / were)
15. The baby ______ crying all night. (was / were)
16. The students ______ writing their exams. (was / were)
Passive
Voice (Past Simple Passive)
17. The cake ______ made by my grandmother. (was / were)
18. The letters ______ delivered yesterday morning. (was /
were)
19. This house ______ built in 1995. (was / were)
20. The windows ______ broken by the storm. (was / were)
21. The movie ______ directed by Steven Spielberg. (was /
were)
22. The gifts ______ wrapped in colourful paper. (was / were)
23. My phone ______ stolen from my bag. (was / were)
24. The roads ______ blocked due to heavy snow. (was / were)
Negatives
(Wasn't / Weren't)
25. I ______ at home when you came. (wasn't / weren't)
26. She ______ feeling well yesterday. (wasn't / weren't)
27. We ______ invited to the party. (wasn't / weren't)
28. They ______ interested in the offer. (wasn't / weren't)
29. He ______ aware of the situation. (wasn't / weren't)
30. You ______ supposed to be here early. (wasn't / weren't)
31. The food ______ very tasty. (wasn't / weren't)
32. The shoes ______ comfortable at all. (wasn't / weren't)
Questions
(Was / Were)
33. ______ you at the office yesterday? (Was / Were)
34. ______ she happy with her results? (Was / Were)
35. ______ they coming to the meeting? (Was / Were)
36. ______ he born in Nepal? (Was / Were)
37. ______ we late for the show? (Was / Were)
38. ______ it raining when you left? (Was / Were)
39. ______ the kids playing in the garden? (Was / Were)
40. ______ the doors locked last night? (Was / Were)
Hypothetical
/ Unreal (Subjunctive – "Were" for All)
41. If I ______ you, I would accept the offer. (was / were)
– unreal
42. I wish I ______ taller. (was / were) – unreal
43. If she ______ here, she would help us. (was / were) –
unreal
44. He acts as if he ______ the boss. (was / were) – unreal
45. If we ______ rich, we would travel the world. (was / were)
– unreal
46. I wish it ______ summer all year. (was / were) – unreal
47. If they ______ more careful, they wouldn't have failed. (was
/ were) – unreal
48. She wishes she ______ a famous singer. (was / were) –
unreal
Reported
Speech (Past Tense)
49. He said he ______ going to the market. (was / were)
50. She told me they ______ already here. (was / were)
51. They said the movie ______ very boring. (was / were)
52. He mentioned that the documents ______ ready. (was / were)
53. She said she ______ not feeling well. (was / were)
54. They told us the results ______ announced yesterday. (was
/ were)
Mixed
/ Review
55. My grandparents ______ born in the 1940s. (was / were)
56. There ______ a strange noise coming from the attic. (was
/ were)
57. There ______ many people waiting outside. (was / were)
58. The police ______ investigating the case. (was / were)
59. The news ______ very shocking. (was / were) – news
is singular
60. The scissors ______ not sharp enough. (was / were) – scissors
are plural
Answers
with Short Reasons
|
No. |
Answer |
Reason |
|
1 |
was |
Singular subject (I) |
|
2 |
was |
Singular subject (She) |
|
3 |
were |
Plural subject (We) |
|
4 |
were |
Plural subject (They) |
|
5 |
was |
Singular subject (He) |
|
6 |
were |
You always takes were in
the simple past |
|
7 |
was |
Singular subject (It) |
|
8 |
were |
Plural subject (Children) |
|
9 |
was |
Past continuous with I |
|
10 |
was |
Past continuous with She |
|
11 |
were |
Past continuous with We |
|
12 |
were |
Past continuous with They |
|
13 |
was |
Past continuous with He |
|
14 |
were |
Past continuous with You |
|
15 |
was |
Past continuous with the baby
(singular) |
|
16 |
were |
Past continuous with students
(plural) |
|
17 |
was |
Passive singular (cake) |
|
18 |
were |
Passive plural (letters) |
|
19 |
was |
Passive singular (house) |
|
20 |
were |
Passive plural (windows) |
|
21 |
was |
Passive singular (movie) |
|
22 |
were |
Passive plural (gifts) |
|
23 |
was |
Passive singular (phone) |
|
24 |
were |
Passive plural (roads) |
|
25 |
wasn't |
Negative singular (I) |
|
26 |
wasn't |
Negative singular (She) |
|
27 |
weren't |
Negative plural (We) |
|
28 |
weren't |
Negative plural (They) |
|
29 |
wasn't |
Negative singular (He) |
|
30 |
weren't |
Negative with You |
|
31 |
wasn't |
Negative singular (food) |
|
32 |
weren't |
Negative plural (shoes) |
|
33 |
Were |
Question with You |
|
34 |
Was |
Question with She |
|
35 |
Were |
Question with They |
|
36 |
Was |
Question with He |
|
37 |
Were |
Question with We |
|
38 |
Was |
Question with It |
|
39 |
Were |
Question with Kids (plural) |
|
40 |
Were |
Question with Doors (plural) |
|
41 |
were |
Subjunctive/unreal: If I were
you |
|
42 |
were |
Subjunctive/unreal: I wish I
were |
|
43 |
were |
Subjunctive/unreal: If she were |
|
44 |
were |
Subjunctive/unreal: as if he
were |
|
45 |
were |
Subjunctive/unreal: If we were |
|
46 |
were |
Subjunctive/unreal: I wish it
were |
|
47 |
were |
Subjunctive/unreal condition |
|
48 |
were |
Subjunctive/unreal: She wishes
she were |
|
49 |
was |
Reported speech – singular (He) |
|
50 |
were |
Reported speech – plural (They) |
|
51 |
was |
Reported speech – singular (movie) |
|
52 |
were |
Reported speech – plural
(documents) |
|
53 |
was |
Reported speech – singular (She) |
|
54 |
were |
Reported speech – passive plural
(results) |
|
55 |
were |
Plural subject (grandparents) |
|
56 |
was |
Singular noun: There was a
noise |
|
57 |
were |
Plural noun: There were many
people |
|
58 |
were |
Police is normally treated as plural |
|
59 |
was |
News is grammatically singular |
|
60 |
were |
Scissors is grammatically plural |
Complete
Summary Chart
|
Use |
Singular |
Plural |
|
Past State |
I/He/She/It was |
We/You/They were |
|
Past Continuous |
I/He/She/It was + V-ing |
We/You/They were + V-ing |
|
Passive Voice |
Singular subject was + V3 |
Plural subject were + V3 |
|
Negatives |
I/He/She/It wasn't |
We/You/They weren't |
|
Questions |
Was + I/he/she/it...? |
Were + we/you/they...? |
|
Subjunctive |
Were for all subjects in formal unreal situations |
Were for all subjects |
|
There + be (past) |
There was + singular noun |
There were + plural noun |
|
Special nouns |
News, information, advice → was |
Scissors, people, police → were |
Key
Rules to Remember
1.
Was → used with I, he, she, it and singular nouns.
o
I was tired.
o
She was happy.
o
The boy was absent.
2.
Were → used with you, we, they and plural nouns.
o
You were late.
o
We were happy.
o
The students were ready.
3.
You always
takes "were" in the
simple past, whether you refers to one person or more than one person.
o
You were my best friend.
o
You were all very helpful.
4.
Past
Continuous:
was/were + V-ing
o
She was reading.
o
They were playing.
5.
Past
Simple Passive:
was/were + V3
o
The letter was written
yesterday.
o
The letters were written
yesterday.
6.
Negative
Forms:
o
was not → wasn't
o
were not → weren't
o
He wasn't there.
o
They weren't ready.
7.
Questions: Put was/were before the subject.
o
Was she at home?
o
Were they at school?
8.
Subjunctive
/ Unreal Situations: In formal standard English, use were
with all subjects.
o
If I were you, I would study
harder.
o
I wish she were here.
o
If he were rich, he would
travel the world.
9.
There was → singular noun.
o
There was a problem.
o
There was a man outside.
10. There were
→ plural noun.
- There were many problems.
- There were three students outside.
11. Some nouns ending in -s are grammatically singular:
- The news was shocking.
12. Some nouns are grammatically plural:
- The scissors were sharp.
- The police were investigating the case.
- The people were waiting outside.
No comments:
Post a Comment