IELTS Speaking Part 1 masterclass for beginners!
Many students fear this part the most, but it is actually the easiest part of the exam. The examiner is not trying to trick you; they just want to help you relax and speak.
Here is your complete, beginner-friendly guide to tips, techniques, strategies, timings, question types, and sample answers.
1. The Basics: Time & Number of Questions
|
Category |
Details |
|
Total Time |
4 to 5 minutes
(It goes by very fast!) |
|
Total Questions |
10 to 12 questions
(Approximately) |
|
Parts within Part 1 |
3 broad topics
(e.g., Hometown, Work/Study, Hobbies). |
|
Question Style |
Short, simple, personal questions about YOU. |
|
Answer Length |
3 to 4 sentences
per answer (About 15-20 seconds
per answer). |
2. Type "Zero" Questions: The "Warm-Up" (Do not fail these!)
Before the recording starts or right at the very beginning, the examiner asks "Type Zero" questions. These are NOT scored on your vocabulary or grammar, but first impressions matter. If you mess these up, you get nervous!
Common Type Zero Questions & How to Answer:
|
Examiner Asks |
Your Mistake (Bad) |
Your Correct Response (Good) |
|
"Good morning. My name is John." |
Silence or just a nod. |
"Good morning,
sir/madam. My name is [Your
Name]." |
|
"Can you tell me your full name?" |
"My name is Ram." (Too short) |
"Certainly. My full
name is Ram Prasad Sharma, but please feel free to call me Ram." |
|
"What can I call you?" |
"Ram." |
"You can call me Ram.
That's my given name." |
|
"Can I see your identification?" |
Hands it over without
speaking. |
"Yes, of course. Here
you are." |
3. Type "1" Questions: The Real Test (Topic-Based)
After the warm-up, the examiner opens a booklet and asks 12 official questions divided into 3 topics.
Common Topics:
Topic 1: Your Home/Hometown | Topic 2: Your Work/Studies | Topic
3: Your Hobbies (Music, Reading, Sports, Food, etc.)
4. The 5 Golden Strategies for Beginners
|
Strategy |
How to do it |
Why it works |
|
1. The "Yes,
because" Rule |
Never just say "Yes" or "No." Always
add "because..." |
It forces you to use complex sentences (Grammar score!). |
|
2. Give a Reason + Example |
State your opinion, give a reason, and give a tiny
example. |
This shows fluency (you can keep talking). |
|
3. Use Basic Connectors |
Use: Actually, Honestly,
Usually, To be honest, |
It makes your speech sound natural, not robotic. |
|
4. Don't Memorize Scripts |
The examiner can smell a memorized answer! Just remember keywords. |
It keeps your tone natural and conversational. |
|
5. Correct Yourself
Smoothly |
If you make a grammar mistake, say: "I mean..." or "Well, rather..." and
correct it. |
Shows the examiner you know the correct grammar
(Self-correction = High score!). |
5. The "A.R.E.A." Technique (Your Secret Weapon!)
For every question in Part 1, use this 4-step structure in your head:
- A = Answer the question directly.
- R = Give a Reason.
- E = Give an Example.
- A = Alternative (Optional: add an extra small detail).
6. Sample Questions & Answers for Beginners
Here are 3 full sets of Topic + 4 questions using the AREA technique, moving from Basic → Good → Excellent.
Set A: Topic – Your Hometown
|
Question |
Basic Answer (Band 5) |
Good Answer (Band 6.5) |
Excellent Answer (Band 8+) |
|
Q1: Where is your hometown? |
It is in Kathmandu. |
My hometown is Kathmandu, which is the capital city of
Nepal. |
I hail from Kathmandu, which is the bustling capital city
of Nepal, nestled right in the heart of the Himalayas. |
|
Q2: Do you like your
hometown? |
Yes, I like it. |
Yes, I really do. It is very beautiful. |
Absolutely.
I'm quite fond of it because it
perfectly blends traditional culture with modern life. (Reason) |
|
Q3: What is your favorite
place there? |
The temple. |
I like the Pashupatinath Temple. |
To be honest,
my favorite spot is the Pashupatinath Temple. (Answer)
I go there often because it
gives me a sense of peace and spirituality. (Reason
+ Example) |
|
Q4: Has it changed much? |
Yes, it changed. |
Yes, it has changed a lot. More buildings now. |
Definitely.
It has undergone massive development over the last decade. (Answer) For instance, they
have built a new ring road and lots of modern malls, although it still retains its
old charm. (Example + Alternative) |
Set B: Topic – Work / Studies
|
Question |
Basic Answer (Band 5) |
Good Answer (Band 6.5) |
Excellent Answer (Band 8+) |
|
Q1: Are you a student or do
you work? |
I am a student. |
I am currently a student at Tribhuvan University. |
At the moment, I'm a full-time undergraduate student majoring in Business
Administration at Tribhuvan University. |
|
Q2: What do you study? |
I study management. |
I study management because it is interesting. |
I study Management, specifically
Marketing. (Answer) I
find it absolutely fascinating because it
involves a lot of creativity and psychology. (Reason) |
|
Q3: Do you enjoy your
course? |
Yes, very much. |
Yes, I enjoy it a lot. The teachers are good. |
Honestly, I
thoroughly enjoy it. (Answer)
The professors are highly experienced and they make the classes lively with
real-world case studies. (Reason + Example) |
|
Q4: What do you plan to do
in the future? |
Get a job. |
I want to get a good job in a company. |
Looking ahead,
I aspire to become a brand manager for an international company. (Answer) I believe this
course provides the perfect foundation for that goal. (Reason) |
Set C: Topic – Hobbies (Free Time)
|
Question |
Basic Answer (Band 5) |
Good Answer (Band 6.5) |
Excellent Answer (Band 8+) |
|
Q1: What do you do in your
free time? |
I watch TV. |
I usually watch TV or listen to music. |
In my spare time,
I'm quite fond of reading fictional novels and listening to Nepali folk
music. (Answer) |
|
Q2: Do you like reading
books? |
Yes. |
Yes, I like reading storybooks. |
Definitely.
I'm a huge bookworm, actually. (Answer) I
find it incredibly relaxing because it
allows me to escape from daily stress and dive into different worlds. (Reason) |
|
Q3: Did you read a lot as a
child? |
No. |
Not really, I played outside. |
To be perfectly honest,
no, I didn't. (Answer) I
was a very energetic child, so I preferred
outdoor sports over
sitting indoors with a book. (Reason + Alternative) |
|
Q4: Do you think reading is
important? |
Yes, very important. |
Yes, because it gives knowledge. |
Undoubtedly.
(Answer) I strongly believe
reading is vital because it
not only expands your vocabulary but also broadens your perspective on life. (Reason + Example) |
7. Examiner’s "Hidden" Rules (What they don't tell you)
- No "Um" and "Ah": Instead of saying "Ummmm" while thinking, say "Well...", "Let me think...", or "That's a good question...". This gives you 2 seconds to think without losing fluency points!
- Don't change the topic: The examiner asks "Do you like sports?" If you say "No, but I love cooking...", you will lose marks. Answer the exact question first, then add extra.
- Expressions matter: Smile when saying something happy. Look thoughtful when saying "Let me think..." It makes your speaking sound natural.
8. A Beginner's Checklist for Exam Day
- □ Arrive 30 minutes early.
- □ Breathe deeply before entering the room.
- □ Smile at the examiner (It calms your nerves).
- □ Sit up straight (Good posture = Better breathing = Better voice).
- □ If you don't understand: Say "I'm sorry, could you please repeat the question?" (You will NOT lose marks for this).
- □ Don't speak too fast. Slow, clear English is better than fast, unclear English.
15 complete sample sets of IELTS Speaking Part 1 questions with answers.
How to use this:
- Each set has 4 questions (just like the real
exam).
- Answers range from 20 to 50 words.
- Tough vocabulary
is highlighted in bold and explained in a "Vocabulary
Boost" box after each set.
- I have mixed simple, intermediate, and advanced
words so beginners can learn step-by-step.
Set
1: Your Hometown
|
Examiner's
Question |
Sample
Answer |
|
Q1: Where do you live? |
I live in Kathmandu, which is the
capital city of Nepal. It is a vibrant and busy place. |
|
Q2: Do you like your hometown? |
Yes, I'm very fond of it.
It has a unique charm because it perfectly blends ancient temples with modern
life. |
|
Q3: What is the best thing about
it? |
The people, honestly. They are
incredibly hospitable and welcoming. No matter where you go, you feel
a sense of community. |
|
Q4: Would you like to live there
in the future? |
Definitely. I envisage
settling down there permanently because it's where my roots are and I feel a
strong connection to my culture. |
📘 Vocabulary Boost for Set
1:
|
Tough
Word |
Simple
Meaning |
Nepali
Meaning |
|
Vibrant |
Full of energy and life |
जीवन्त (Jiwanta) |
|
Fond |
Having a liking or affection for |
रुचि
भएको
(Ruchi bhaeko) |
|
Hospitable |
Friendly and welcoming to guests |
आतिथ्यशील (Atithyashil) |
|
Envisage |
To imagine or picture in the
future |
परिकल्पना गर्नु (Parikalpana garnu) |
Set
2: Work / Studies
|
Examiner's
Question |
Sample
Answer |
|
Q1: Do you work or are you a
student? |
I am currently a student. I'm
pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration. |
|
Q2: What is your major? |
My major is Marketing. I find it fascinating
because it involves understanding human psychology and behavior. |
|
Q3: Why did you choose that
subject? |
I chose it because I've always
been entrepreneurial. I dream of starting my own business one day, and
this course gives me the right skills. |
|
Q4: Do you enjoy your classes? |
Absolutely. They are very interactive.
The professors encourage us to share our opinions, which makes learning
enjoyable. |
📘 Vocabulary Boost for Set
2:
|
Tough
Word |
Simple
Meaning |
Nepali
Meaning |
|
Fascinating |
Extremely interesting |
मनमोहक (Manmohak) |
|
Entrepreneurial |
Having the mindset to start a
business |
उद्यमशील (Udyamshil) |
|
Interactive |
Involving active participation |
अन्तरक्रियात्मक (Antarkriyatmak) |
Set
3: Your Home / Accommodation
|
Examiner's
Question |
Sample
Answer |
|
Q1: Do you live in a house or a
flat? |
I live in a spacious flat located
on the outskirts of the city. It is quite cosy and comfortable. |
|
Q2: Which room do you like the
most? |
Definitely my bedroom. It is my
personal sanctuary where I can relax, read, and unwind after a hectic
day. |
|
Q3: Is there anything you want to
change? |
Yes, I'd love to renovate the
kitchen. It is a bit outdated and I prefer a more modern, open-plan
design. |
|
Q4: Do you prefer living in a city
or countryside? |
I lean towards the city because of
better job prospects and amenities, although I occasionally crave the
peace of the countryside. |
📘 Vocabulary Boost for Set
3:
|
Tough
Word |
Simple
Meaning |
Nepali
Meaning |
|
Cosy |
Warm and comfortable |
आरामदायक (Aaramdayak) |
|
Sanctuary |
A peaceful place of safety |
आश्रयस्थल (Ashrayasthal) |
|
Outdated |
Old and not modern |
पुरानो (Purano) |
|
Prospects |
Chances or opportunities for
success |
सम्भावनाहरू (Sambhavanaharu) |
Set
4: Hobbies / Free Time
|
Examiner's
Question |
Sample
Answer |
|
Q1: What do you do in your spare
time? |
In my spare time, I usually read
fictional novels or go for a jog in the nearby park to stay active. |
|
Q2: Did you have the same hobbies
as a child? |
Not really. As a child, I was an avid
cricket player. Now, I prefer quieter activities like reading. |
|
Q3: Do you think hobbies are
important? |
Undoubtedly. They provide a
much-needed escape from daily stress and help us maintain a healthy
work-life balance. |
|
Q4: Do you prefer indoor or
outdoor hobbies? |
I prefer outdoor hobbies because
they allow me to connect with nature and get fresh air, which is very
rejuvenating. |
📘 Vocabulary Boost for Set
4:
|
Tough
Word |
Simple
Meaning |
Nepali
Meaning |
|
Active |
Physically energetic |
सक्रिय (Sakriya) |
|
Avid |
Very enthusiastic about something |
उत्साही (Utsahi) |
|
Escape |
A way to forget about reality |
भाग्ने ठाउँ
(Bhagne thau) |
|
Connect with |
To feel a link or bond with |
जोडिनु (Jodinu) |
Set
5: Food & Cooking
|
Examiner's
Question |
Sample
Answer |
|
Q1: What kind of food do you like? |
I am a huge fan of spicy Nepali
cuisine, especially momo and dal bhat. They are incredibly satisfying. |
|
Q2: Can you cook? |
Yes, I can cook basic meals. I
wouldn't call myself a gourmet chef, but I can prepare a decent meal
when needed. |
|
Q3: Do you prefer home-cooked or
restaurant food? |
I strongly prefer home-cooked
meals because they are healthier and I know exactly what ingredients go into
them. |
|
Q4: Have your eating habits
changed? |
Yes, significantly. I used to eat
a lot of junk food, but now I am more health-conscious and avoid
processed items. |
📘 Vocabulary Boost for Set
5:
|
Tough
Word |
Simple
Meaning |
Nepali
Meaning |
|
Satisfying |
Making you feel full and happy |
सन्तोषजनक (Santoshjanak) |
|
Gourmet |
High-quality or fancy food |
राम्रो खाना
(Ramro khana) |
|
Health-conscious |
Aware of healthy choices |
स्वास्थ्य सचेत
(Swasthya sachet) |
Set
6: Music
|
Examiner's
Question |
Sample
Answer |
|
Q1: Do you like music? |
Yes, I absolutely love music. It
is an integral part of my daily routine and it helps me boost my mood
instantly. |
|
Q2: What kind of music do you
listen to? |
I mostly listen to Nepali folk
songs and soft pop. The melodies are very soothing and calming to the
ears. |
|
Q3: Did you learn music as a
child? |
No, I never had formal training.
However, I always admired people who can play musical instruments like
the guitar. |
|
Q4: Is music important in your
culture? |
Extremely important. In Nepal,
music is intertwined with our festivals and religious ceremonies. It
is a huge part of our identity. |
📘 Vocabulary Boost for Set
6:
|
Tough
Word |
Simple
Meaning |
Nepali
Meaning |
|
Boost |
To improve or increase |
बढाउनु (Badhaunu) |
|
Melodies |
Tunes or songs |
धुन
(Dhun) |
|
Admired |
Respected or looked up to |
प्रशंसा (Prashansa) |
|
Intertwined |
Closely connected |
आपसमा जोडिएको (Aapasma jodieko) |
Set
7: Weather & Seasons
|
Examiner's
Question |
Sample
Answer |
|
Q1: What is the weather like in
your country? |
Nepal has a diverse
climate. We have scorching summers, rainy monsoons, and freezing winters,
especially in the Himalayas. |
|
Q2: Which season do you like the
most? |
I favor autumn the most. The
weather is pleasant and the skies are crystal clear, which is perfect
for trekking. |
|
Q3: Do you prefer hot or cold
weather? |
I prefer cold weather because I
can layer up with warm clothes. Hot weather makes me feel lethargic
and drained. |
|
Q4: Does the weather affect your
mood? |
Absolutely. Gloomy, rainy days
often make me feel a bit melancholic, whereas sunny days instantly
uplift my spirits. |
📘 Vocabulary Boost for Set
7:
|
Tough
Word |
Simple
Meaning |
Nepali
Meaning |
|
Diverse |
Very different or varied |
विविध (Vividha) |
|
Pleasant |
Nice and comfortable |
सुहाउँदो (Suhaundo) |
|
Layer up |
To wear multiple clothes |
तह
लगाउनु (Taha lagaunu) |
|
Melancholic |
Feeling sad or pensive |
उदास
(Udas) |
Set
8: Technology / Smartphones
|
Examiner's
Question |
Sample
Answer |
|
Q1: Do you use a smartphone? |
Yes, I own a smartphone and I use
it extensively for both work and leisure activities like browsing
social media. |
|
Q2: What do you use it for mostly? |
Mostly for staying connected with my
family via video calls and for checking emails. It has become a necessity. |
|
Q3: Are there any negative
effects? |
Yes, definitely. I think excessive
use can be detrimental to our eyesight and can also lead to a lack of
real-life social interaction. |
|
Q4: Will technology replace
teachers? |
I don't think so. Technology can facilitate
learning, but it cannot replace the human touch and empathy that a teacher
provides. |
📘 Vocabulary Boost for Set
8:
|
Tough
Word |
Simple
Meaning |
Nepali
Meaning |
|
Leisure |
Free time |
फुर्सद (Phursad) |
|
Necessity |
Something you cannot do without |
अनिवार्यता (Anivaryata) |
|
Detrimental |
Harmful |
हानिकारक (Hanikarak) |
|
Facilitate |
To make something easier |
सहज
बनाउनु (Sahaj banaunu) |
Set
9: Reading Books
|
Examiner's
Question |
Sample
Answer |
|
Q1: Do you like reading books? |
Yes, I am an avid reader.
Reading is my favorite way to unwind after a long tiring day at college. |
|
Q2: What kind of books do you
read? |
I mainly read self-help books and
historical fiction. I find them highly insightful and thought-provoking. |
|
Q3: Do you read books in English
or Nepali? |
I read in both languages. Reading
in English helps me enhance my vocabulary, while Nepali books connect
me to my roots. |
|
Q4: Would you recommend reading to
children? |
Absolutely. It is a great habit to
cultivate from a young age because it sparks imagination and builds
concentration. |
📘 Vocabulary Boost for Set
9:
|
Tough
Word |
Simple
Meaning |
Nepali
Meaning |
|
Avid |
Enthusiastic |
उत्साही (Utsahi) |
|
Insightful |
Showing deep understanding |
अन्तरदृष्टियुक्त (Antardrishtiyukt) |
|
Enhance |
To improve |
सुधार गर्नु (Sudhar garnu) |
|
Cultivate |
To develop a skill or habit |
विकास गर्नु (Bikas garnu) |
Set
10: Transport / Travel
|
Examiner's
Question |
Sample
Answer |
|
Q1: How do you usually get around
the city? |
I usually rely on public buses or
micro-buses. They are quite convenient and inexpensive for daily
commutes. |
|
Q2: Have you ever traveled abroad? |
No, not yet. However, I aspire
to visit Southeast Asian countries like Thailand and Singapore in the near
future. |
|
Q3: What is your dream
destination? |
My dream destination is
Switzerland. I am fascinated by its breathtaking landscapes and snowy
mountains. |
|
Q4: Do you prefer traveling alone
or in a group? |
I prefer group travel because it
is safer and more enjoyable. Sharing experiences with friends makes
the trip memorable. |
📘 Vocabulary Boost for Set
10:
|
Tough
Word |
Simple
Meaning |
Nepali
Meaning |
|
Convenient |
Easy and suitable |
सुविधाजनक (Suvidhajanak) |
|
Aspire |
To strongly desire to achieve |
आकांक्षा गर्नु (Aakanksha garnu) |
|
Fascinated |
Very interested |
मोहित (Mohit) |
|
Enjoyable |
Giving pleasure |
रमाइलो (Ramailo) |
Set
11: Sports & Exercise
|
Examiner's
Question |
Sample
Answer |
|
Q1: Do you play any sports? |
I used to play football regularly,
but nowadays I just do light jogging to stay fit and active. |
|
Q2: Why is exercise important? |
It is crucial because it boosts
our immune system and helps prevent chronic diseases like diabetes and heart
problems. |
|
Q3: Do you prefer indoor or
outdoor sports? |
I definitely prefer outdoor sports
because they allow me to breathe fresh air and soak up some vitamin D from
the sun. |
|
Q4: Did you play sports as a
child? |
Yes, I was quite athletic
as a child. I participated in school tournaments and won a few medals in
running races. |
📘 Vocabulary Boost for Set
11:
|
Tough
Word |
Simple
Meaning |
Nepali
Meaning |
|
Fit |
Physically healthy |
स्वस्थ (Swastha) |
|
Boosts |
Increases or improves |
बढाउँछ (Badhaunchha) |
|
Athletic |
Physically strong and good at
sports |
खेलाडी (Kheladi) |
Set
12: Pets & Animals
|
Examiner's
Question |
Sample
Answer |
|
Q1: Do you have a pet? |
Yes, I have a pet dog named Tommy.
He is a Golden Retriever and incredibly loyal and playful. |
|
Q2: Why do people keep pets? |
People keep pets for companionship.
They provide unconditional love and can significantly reduce feelings of
loneliness. |
|
Q3: Is it expensive to keep a pet? |
Yes, it can be quite costly.
You have to spend money on food, vet visits, and grooming, which adds up
quickly. |
|
Q4: What wild animal is common in
Nepal? |
The Royal Bengal Tiger is quite
iconic in Nepal. It is a majestic creature, although sadly it is an
endangered species now. |
📘 Vocabulary Boost for Set
12:
|
Tough
Word |
Simple
Meaning |
Nepali
Meaning |
|
Loyal |
Always faithful and supportive |
वफादार (Wafadar) |
|
Companionship |
Friendship and company |
साथी
(Sathi) |
|
Costly |
Expensive |
महँगो (Mahango) |
|
Majestic |
Grand and beautiful |
भव्य
(Bhabya) |
Set
13: Shopping
|
Examiner's
Question |
Sample
Answer |
|
Q1: Do you like shopping? |
I have mixed feelings about it. I
enjoy it occasionally, but I find it quite exhausting if I have to do
it for hours. |
|
Q2: Where do you usually shop? |
I usually shop at local markets
and online platforms. Online shopping is convenient because it saves a
lot of time. |
|
Q3: What do you often buy? |
Mostly groceries and clothes. I
don't buy luxury items because they are often overpriced and
unnecessary. |
|
Q4: Do you prefer shopping alone
or with friends? |
I prefer shopping alone because I
can make quick decisions. Shopping with friends tends to be a bit distracting. |
📘 Vocabulary Boost for Set
13:
|
Tough
Word |
Simple
Meaning |
Nepali
Meaning |
|
Exhausting |
Very tiring |
थकाउने (Thakaune) |
|
Convenient |
Easy and practical |
सजिलो (Sajilo) |
|
Luxury |
Very expensive and high-end |
विलासी (Vilasi) |
|
Distracting |
Taking your attention away |
ध्यान भंग
(Dhyan bhanga) |
Set
14: Daily Routine
|
Examiner's
Question |
Sample
Answer |
|
Q1: What time do you usually wake
up? |
I am an early bird. I typically
wake up around 6:00 AM to start my day with some light stretching and
meditation. |
|
Q2: What is your typical weekday
like? |
My weekdays are quite hectic.
I attend college in the morning, study in the library, and then work on
assignments in the evening. |
|
Q3: Do you have the same routine
on weekends? |
Not at all. On weekends, I am a
bit more laid-back. I sleep in and spend quality time with my family. |
|
Q4: Do you think a routine is
important? |
Absolutely. Having a daily regimen
brings structure to your life and increases your overall productivity. |
📘 Vocabulary Boost for Set
14:
|
Tough
Word |
Simple
Meaning |
Nepali
Meaning |
|
Hectic |
Very busy and rushed |
व्यस्त (Byasta) |
|
Laid-back |
Relaxed and easygoing |
ढीला
(Dhila) |
|
Regimen |
A systematic plan or routine |
नियमित कार्यक्रम (Niyamit karyakram) |
Set
15: Dreams & Future Plans
|
Examiner's
Question |
Sample
Answer |
|
Q1: What is your dream job? |
My dream job is to become a
successful entrepreneur. I want to create a business that generates
employment for the youth in Nepal. |
|
Q2: Do you plan to settle abroad? |
I am open to the idea of working
abroad for a few years to gain exposure, but I ultimately want to come
back and contribute to my country. |
|
Q3: What do you want to achieve in
5 years? |
In 5 years, I hope to have
completed my Master's degree and established my own small business. I want to
be financially independent. |
|
Q4: Is it important to plan for
the future? |
Yes, planning is paramount.
It gives you a clear direction and keeps you motivated, even when things get
challenging. |
📘 Vocabulary Boost for Set
15:
|
Tough Word |
Simple Meaning |
Nepali Meaning |
|
Generates |
Creates or produces |
उत्पादन गर्छ
(Utpadan garchha) |
|
Exposure |
Experience of different things |
अनुभव (Anubhav) |
|
Financially independent |
Earning your own money |
आर्थिक रूपमा स्वतन्त्र (Arthik rupma swatantra) |
|
Paramount |
Extremely important |
सर्वोपरि (Sarvopari) |
No comments:
Post a Comment