Past Continuous Tense: Complete Guide for Nepali Students
Introduction
/ परिचय
Past Continuous Tense ले
भूतकालमा केही समयसम्म जारी रहेको काम देखाउँछ। यसले
काम
कहिले सुरु भयो र कहिले सकियो भन्ने
कुरामा
जोड
दिँदैन,
तर
त्यो समयमा काम भइरहेको थियो भन्ने
कुरा
देखाउँछ।
English: Past Continuous Tense shows an action that was in progress
at a specific time in the past. It emphasizes the duration of the action, not
its completion.
Nepali: Past Continuous Tense ले भूतकालमा केही
समयसम्म जारी
रहेको
कामलाई
देखाउँछ। यसले
कामको
निरन्तरतामा जोड
दिन्छ,
सकिएको
कुरामा
होइन।
Key Difference:
- Simple Past: काम भयो र सकियो (I watched TV.)
- Past Continuous: काम भइरहेको थियो (I was watching TV.)
Structure
/ संरचना
Positive
Sentence (सकारात्मक वाक्य)
Subject
+ was/were + V4 (Verb + ing) + Object
|
Subject |
Helping
Verb |
Example |
|
I, He, She, It, Ram |
was |
I was studying at 8 PM. |
|
You, We, They, Ram and Sita |
were |
They were playing football. |
Nepali: कर्ता
+ was/were + क्रियाको चौथो
रूप
(V4 = verb + ing) + कर्म
Negative
Sentence (नकारात्मक वाक्य)
Subject
+ was/were + not + V4 + Object
|
Example |
Nepali Meaning |
|
I was not sleeping at 10
PM. |
म
राति
10 बजे
सुतिरहेको थिइनँ। |
|
They were not studying
yesterday. |
उनीहरू हिजो
पढिरहेका थिएनन्। |
Short forms: wasn't / weren't
Question
Sentence (प्रश्नवाचक वाक्य)
Was/Were
+ Subject + V4 + Object ?
|
Example |
Nepali Meaning |
|
Was she cooking dinner? |
उनी
बेलुकाको खाना
पकाइरहेकी थिइन्? |
|
Were you waiting for me? |
तिमी
मेरो
प्रतीक्षा गरिरहेको थियो? |
V4
(Verb + ing) कसरी बनाउने?
Rule
1: Most Verbs — Just add -ing
|
V1 |
V4 |
Nepali |
|
study |
studying |
पढ्दै |
|
work |
working |
काम
गर्दै |
|
play |
playing |
खेल्दै |
|
read |
reading |
पढ्दै |
|
write |
writing |
लेख्दै |
|
speak |
speaking |
बोल्दै |
|
eat |
eating |
खाँदै |
|
go |
going |
जाँदै |
Rule
2: Verbs ending in -e — Drop e, add -ing
|
V1 |
V4 |
Nepali |
|
write |
writing |
लेख्दै |
|
take |
taking |
लिँदै |
|
make |
making |
बनाउँदै |
|
come |
coming |
आउँदै |
|
give |
giving |
दिँदै |
|
drive |
driving |
चलाउँदै |
Rule
3: Short verbs (CVC) — Double the last consonant
|
V1 |
V4 |
Nepali |
|
run |
running |
दौडँदै |
|
sit |
sitting |
बस्दै |
|
swim |
swimming |
पौडी
खेल्दै |
|
get |
getting |
पाउँदै |
|
put |
putting |
राख्दै |
|
stop |
stopping |
रोक्दै |
Rule
4: Verbs ending in -ie — Change to -ying
|
V1 |
V4 |
Nepali |
|
lie |
lying |
झुटो
बोल्दै |
|
die |
dying |
मर्दै |
|
tie |
tying |
बाँध्दै |
Uses
of Past Continuous Tense / प्रयोगहरू
Use
1: Action in Progress at a Specific Past Time
भूतकालको निश्चित समयमा जारी काम
|
Example |
Nepali
Meaning |
|
I was studying at 8 PM last
night. |
म
हिजो
राति
8 बजे
पढिरहेको थिएँ। |
|
She was cooking at 6 AM. |
उनी
बिहान 6 बजे
खाना
पकाइरहेकी थिइन्। |
|
They were playing football
at 4 PM. |
उनीहरू दिउँसो 4 बजे
फुटबल खेलिरहेका थिए। |
Use
2: Two Actions Happening at the Same Time
एकै समयमा भइरहेका दुई काम
|
Example |
Nepali
Meaning |
|
I was reading while she was
writing. |
म
पढिरहेको थिएँ
जबकि
उनी
लेखिरहेकी थिइन्। |
|
He was cooking while his
wife was cleaning. |
उ
खाना
पकाइरहेको थियो
जबकि
उसकी
श्रीमती सफा
गरिरहेकी थिइन्। |
Use
3: Interrupted Action (with Simple Past)
एक काम भइरहेको बेला अर्को काम भयो
यो
सबैभन्दा महत्त्वपूर्ण use हो।
When/While सँग
प्रयोग
हुन्छ।
|
Example |
Nepali
Meaning |
|
I was sleeping when the
phone rang. |
फोन
बज्दा म
सुतिरहेको थिएँ। |
|
She was cooking when I
arrived. |
म
आउँदा उनी
खाना
पकाइरहेकी थिइन्। |
|
They were walking when it
started to rain. |
पानी
पर्न
सुरु
हुँदा उनीहरू हिँडिरहेका थिए। |
Rule:
- Long action (background) → Past Continuous
(was/were + V4)
- Short action (interruption) → Simple Past (V2)
Use
4: Atmosphere/Setting the Scene
भूतकालको दृश्य वर्णन गर्न
|
Example |
Nepali
Meaning |
|
The sun was shining and
birds were singing. |
सूर्य चम्किरहेको थियो
र
चराहरू गाइरहेका थिए। |
|
People were shouting and
children were playing. |
मानिसहरू कराइरहेका थिए
र
बच्चाहरू खेलिरहेका थिए। |
Time
Adverbs / समयसूचक शब्दहरू
Time
Adverbs Used with Past Continuous
|
English |
Nepali
Meaning |
Example |
|
at 8 PM |
राति
8 बजे |
I was studying at 8 PM. |
|
at that time |
त्यो
समयमा |
She was cooking at that time. |
|
this time yesterday |
हिजो
यही
समय |
I was sleeping this time
yesterday. |
|
all day |
दिनभर |
He was working all day. |
|
all morning |
बिहानभर |
She was reading all morning. |
|
all evening |
साँझभर |
They were playing all evening. |
|
while |
जबकि
/ गर्दा |
I was reading while she was
writing. |
|
when |
जब |
I was sleeping when he
called. |
|
as |
जब
/ गर्दा |
As I was walking, I saw him. |
|
still |
अझै
पनि |
He was still working at
midnight. |
Past
Continuous vs Simple Past
|
Past Continuous |
Simple
Past |
|
I was watching TV. |
I watched TV. |
|
काम
जारी
थियो |
काम
सकियो |
|
Duration महत्त्वपूर्ण |
Completion महत्त्वपूर्ण |
|
I was watching TV when she
called. |
I watched TV last night. |
|
Background action |
Completed action |
Sample
Sentences / नमूना वाक्यहरू
Daily
Life (दैनिक जीवन)
|
English |
Nepali
Meaning |
|
I was sleeping at 10 PM last
night. |
म
हिजो
राति
10 बजे
सुतिरहेको थिएँ। |
|
She was cooking dinner when I
arrived. |
म
आउँदा उनी
बेलुकाको खाना
पकाइरहेकी थिइन्। |
|
They were playing outside all
evening. |
उनीहरू साँझभर बाहिर खेलिरहेका थिए। |
|
He was watching TV while I was
studying. |
म
पढिरहेको बेला
उ
टिभी
हेरिरहेको थियो। |
|
We were walking when it started to
rain. |
पानी
पर्न
सुरु
हुँदा हामी
हिँडिरहेका थियौं। |
Work/Study
(काम/पढाइ)
|
English |
Nepali
Meaning |
|
I was working on my project at 9
PM. |
म
राति
9 बजे
मेरो
परियोजनामा काम
गरिरहेको थिएँ। |
|
She was teaching when the bell
rang. |
घण्टी बज्दा उनी
पढाइरहेकी थिइन्। |
|
They were preparing for the exam
all week. |
उनीहरू हप्ताभर परीक्षाको तयारी गरिरहेका थिए। |
|
He was writing a report when I
called. |
मैले
फोन
गर्दा उ
रिपोर्ट लेखिरहेको थियो। |
|
We were discussing the plan at
that time. |
त्यो
समयमा हामी
योजनाबारे छलफल
गरिरहेका थियौं। |
Interrupted
Actions (अवरोध भएका काम)
|
English |
Nepali
Meaning |
|
I was taking a shower when the
phone rang. |
फोन
बज्दा म
नुहाइरहेको थिएँ। |
|
She was crossing the road when she
saw him. |
उसलाई देख्दा उनी
बाटो
काटिरहेकी थिइन्। |
|
They were sleeping when the
earthquake happened. |
भूकम्प जाँदा उनीहरू सुतिरहेका थिए। |
|
He was driving when the accident
occurred. |
दुर्घटना हुँदा उ
गाडी
चलाइरहेको थियो। |
Common
Mistakes / सामान्य गल्तीहरू
|
Wrong |
Right |
Reason |
|
I was study at 8 PM. |
I was studying at 8 PM. |
V4 (verb + ing) चाहिन्छ |
|
She were cooking. |
She was cooking. |
She/He/It = was |
|
They was playing. |
They were playing. |
You/We/They = were |
|
I was slept. |
I was sleeping. |
V4 चाहिन्छ, V2 होइन |
|
He was went to school. |
He went to school. |
Simple Past (completed action) |
|
I was knowing the answer. |
I knew the answer. |
Stative verbs को continuous प्रयोग हुँदैन |
|
While I was sleeping, the phone
was ringing. |
While I was sleeping, the phone rang. |
Interruption = Simple Past |
Stative
Verbs (Continuous मा प्रयोग नहुने क्रियापद)
यी
verbs लाई
-ing form मा
प्रयोग
गरिँदैन:
|
Stative
Verb |
Nepali |
Wrong |
Right |
|
know |
थाहा
हुनु |
was knowing |
knew |
|
like |
मन
पराउनु |
was liking |
liked |
|
want |
चाहनु |
was wanting |
wanted |
|
need |
आवश्यक हुनु |
was needing |
needed |
|
believe |
विश्वास गर्नु |
was believing |
believed |
|
understand |
बुझ्नु |
was understanding |
understood |
|
remember |
सम्झनु |
was remembering |
remembered |
|
belong |
सम्बन्धित हुनु |
was belonging |
belonged |
Quick
Summary Table
|
Aspect |
Rule |
|
Structure |
Subject + was/were + V4 + Object |
|
Was |
I, He, She, It, singular nouns |
|
Were |
You, We, They, plural nouns |
|
Negative |
was/were + not + V4 |
|
Question |
Was/Were + subject + V4? |
|
V4 formation |
verb + ing |
|
Use 1 |
Action in progress at specific
past time |
|
Use 2 |
Two actions at same time |
|
Use 3 |
Interrupted action (with Simple
Past) |
|
Use 4 |
Atmosphere/setting the scene |
|
Time adverbs |
at 8 PM, while, when, all day, at
that time |
|
Stative verbs |
Do NOT use in continuous form |
Practice
Exercise
Fill in the blanks with correct Past
Continuous form:
1.
I ________ (study) at 8 PM last
night.
2.
She ________ (cook) when I arrived.
3.
They ________ (play) football all
evening.
4.
He ________ (not sleep) at 10 PM.
5.
________ you ________ (wait) for me?
6.
We ________ (walk) when it started
to rain.
7.
She ________ (read) while I ________
(write).
8.
I ________ (take) a shower when the
phone rang.
9.
They ________ (not study) yesterday.
10. He ________ (drive) when the accident happened.
Answers:
1.
was studying
2.
was cooking
3.
were playing
4.
was not sleeping
5.
Were / waiting
6.
were walking
7.
was reading / was writing
8.
was taking
9.
were not studying
10. was driving
Final
Reminder for Nepali Students
1.
Was/Were कर्ता
अनुसार
प्रयोग
गर्नुहोस् — I/He/She/It = was, You/We/They = were
2.
V4 (verb +
ing) प्रयोग गर्नुहोस् — "I was studying" not "I was study"
3.
Interrupted
action मा — Long action = Past Continuous, Short action = Simple Past
4.
Stative
verbs (know, like, want) लाई continuous मा प्रयोग नगर्नुहोस्
5.
While = दुई
काम
सँगै,
When = एक
कामले
अर्कोलाई अवरोध
गर्दा
6.
Specific
past time (at 8 PM, at that time) सँग Past Continuous प्रयोग गर्नुहोस्
100 Past Continuous Tense Practice Questions
Instructions
Fill in the blanks with the correct
Past Continuous form. Choose from the options given in brackets. Answers with
short reasons are provided at the end.
Part
1: Questions 1–100
|
# |
Question |
|
1 |
I ________ (was studying / were
studying / was study) at 8 PM last night. |
|
2 |
She ________ (was cooking / were
cooking / was cook) when I arrived. |
|
3 |
They ________ (was playing / were
playing / were play) football all evening. |
|
4 |
He ________ (was not sleeping /
were not sleeping / was not sleep) at 10 PM. |
|
5 |
________ you ________ (Was /
waiting, Were / waiting, Were / wait) for me? |
|
6 |
We ________ (was walking / were
walking / were walk) when it started to rain. |
|
7 |
She ________ (was reading / were
reading / was read) while I was writing. |
|
8 |
I ________ (was taking / were
taking / was take) a shower when the phone rang. |
|
9 |
They ________ (was not studying /
were not studying / were not study) yesterday. |
|
10 |
He ________ (was driving / were
driving / was drive) when the accident happened. |
|
11 |
I ________ (was sleeping / were
sleeping / was sleep) at 10 PM last night. |
|
12 |
She ________ (was cooking / were
cooking / was cook) dinner when I arrived. |
|
13 |
They ________ (was playing / were
playing / were play) outside all evening. |
|
14 |
He ________ (was watching / were
watching / was watch) TV while I was studying. |
|
15 |
We ________ (was walking / were
walking / were walk) when it started to rain. |
|
16 |
I ________ (was working / were
working / was work) on my project at 9 PM. |
|
17 |
She ________ (was teaching / were
teaching / was teach) when the bell rang. |
|
18 |
They ________ (was preparing /
were preparing / were prepare) for the exam all week. |
|
19 |
He ________ (was writing / were
writing / was write) a report when I called. |
|
20 |
________ she ________ (Was /
cooking, Were / cooking, Was / cook) dinner? |
|
21 |
I ________ (was taking / were
taking / was take) a shower when the phone rang. |
|
22 |
She ________ (was crossing / were
crossing / was cross) the road when she saw him. |
|
23 |
They ________ (was sleeping / were
sleeping / were sleep) when the earthquake happened. |
|
24 |
He ________ (was driving / were
driving / was drive) when the accident occurred. |
|
25 |
We ________ (was discussing / were
discussing / were discuss) the plan at that time. |
|
26 |
I ________ (was not listening /
were not listening / was not listen) to music. |
|
27 |
She ________ (was singing / were
singing / was sing) when I entered. |
|
28 |
They ________ (was dancing / were
dancing / were dance) all night. |
|
29 |
He ________ (was reading / were
reading / was read) a book at 7 PM. |
|
30 |
________ they ________ (Was /
playing, Were / playing, Were / play) football? |
|
31 |
I ________ (was writing / were
writing / was write) a letter when he came. |
|
32 |
She ________ (was cleaning / were
cleaning / was clean) the house all morning. |
|
33 |
They ________ (was travelling /
were travelling / were travel) all week. |
|
34 |
He ________ (was waiting / were
waiting / was wait) for the bus at 8 AM. |
|
35 |
We ________ (was studying / were
studying / were study) English at that time. |
|
36 |
I ________ (was not feeling / were
not feeling / was not feel) well yesterday. |
|
37 |
She ________ (was having / were
having / was have) headaches last week. |
|
38 |
They ________ (was feeling / were
feeling / were feel) stressed about the exam. |
|
39 |
He ________ (was coughing / were
coughing / was cough) all night. |
|
40 |
________ you ________ (Was /
working, Were / working, Were / work) at 9 PM? |
|
41 |
I ________ (was thinking / were
thinking / was think) about the problem. |
|
42 |
She ________ (was practising /
were practising / was practise) the piano. |
|
43 |
They ________ (was running / were
running / were run) a business. |
|
44 |
He ________ (was swimming / were
swimming / was swim) in the pool. |
|
45 |
We ________ (was planning / were
planning / were plan) a trip to Pokhara. |
|
46 |
I ________ (was writing / were
writing / was write) emails all morning. |
|
47 |
She ________ (was helping / were
helping / was help) her mother. |
|
48 |
They ________ (was waiting / were
waiting / were wait) for the results. |
|
49 |
He ________ (was fixing / were
fixing / was fix) his car all afternoon. |
|
50 |
________ he ________ (Was /
feeling, Were / feeling, Was / feel) better? |
|
51 |
I ________ (was learning / were
learning / was learn) Nepali for two years. |
|
52 |
She ________ (was doing / were
doing / was do) yoga at 6 AM. |
|
53 |
They ________ (was living / were
living / were live) abroad for many years. |
|
54 |
He ________ (was searching / were
searching / was search) for a job. |
|
55 |
We ________ (was watching / were
watching / were watch) this series. |
|
56 |
I ________ (was feeling / were
feeling / was feel) much better. |
|
57 |
She ________ (was wearing / were
wearing / was wear) glasses. |
|
58 |
They ________ (was working / were
working / were work) together. |
|
59 |
He ________ (was taking / were
taking / was take) care of his parents. |
|
60 |
________ you ________ (Was /
working, Were / working, Were / work) here long? |
|
61 |
I ________ (was saving / were
saving / was save) money for a new phone. |
|
62 |
She ________ (was teaching / were
teaching / was teach) children. |
|
63 |
They ________ (was cleaning / were
cleaning / were clean) the beach all day. |
|
64 |
He ________ (was playing / were
playing / was play) cricket at 4 PM. |
|
65 |
We ________ (was trying / were
trying / were try) to solve the issue. |
|
66 |
I ________ (was not eating / were
not eating / was not eat) well. |
|
67 |
She ________ (was studying / were
studying / was study) hard for exams. |
|
68 |
They ________ (was arguing / were
arguing / were argue) about money. |
|
69 |
He ________ (was growing / were
growing / was grow) vegetables. |
|
70 |
________ she ________ (Was /
practising, Were / practising, Was / practise) for the competition? |
|
71 |
I ________ (was visiting / were
visiting / was visit) my grandmother. |
|
72 |
She ________ (was writing / were
writing / was write) a novel. |
|
73 |
They ________ (was learning / were
learning / were learn) to dance. |
|
74 |
He ________ (was repairing / were
repairing / was repair) the roof all day. |
|
75 |
We ________ (was thinking / were
thinking / were think) about moving. |
|
76 |
I ________ (was drinking / were
drinking / was drink) too much coffee. |
|
77 |
She ________ (was feeding / were
feeding / was feed) the stray cats. |
|
78 |
They ________ (was collecting /
were collecting / were collect) stamps. |
|
79 |
He ________ (was training / were
training / was train) for the marathon. |
|
80 |
________ they ________ (Was /
waiting, Were / waiting, Were / wait) since morning? |
|
81 |
I ________ (was practising / were
practising / was practise) my English. |
|
82 |
She ________ (was cleaning / were
cleaning / was clean) the windows. |
|
83 |
They ________ (was discussing /
were discussing / were discuss) the new plan. |
|
84 |
He ________ (was avoiding / were
avoiding / was avoid) me. |
|
85 |
We ________ (was walking / were
walking / were walk) for three hours. |
|
86 |
I ________ (was not feeling / were
not feeling / was not feel) myself. |
|
87 |
She ________ (was looking / were
looking / was look) for her keys. |
|
88 |
They ________ (was planning / were
planning / were plan) their wedding. |
|
89 |
He ________ (was sleeping / were
sleeping / was sleep) poorly. |
|
90 |
________ you ________ (Was /
learning, Were / learning, Were / learn) Japanese? |
|
91 |
I ________ (was working / were
working / was work) on my thesis. |
|
92 |
She ________ (was volunteering /
were volunteering / was volunteer) at the shelter. |
|
93 |
They ________ (was building / were
building / were build) a new school. |
|
94 |
He ________ (was reading / were
reading / was read) newspapers. |
|
95 |
We ________ (was enjoying / were
enjoying / were enjoy) our holiday. |
|
96 |
I ________ (was noticing / were
noticing / was notice) some changes. |
|
97 |
She ________ (was taking / were
taking / was take) piano lessons. |
|
98 |
They ________ (was making / were
making / were make) progress slowly. |
|
99 |
He ________ (was waiting / were
waiting / was wait) for a promotion. |
|
100 |
I ________ (was using / were using
/ was use) this app for six months. |
Part
2: Answers with Short Reasons
|
Answer |
Short Reason |
|
|
1 |
was studying |
I + was + V4 (specific time) |
|
2 |
was cooking |
She + was + V4 (interrupted) |
|
3 |
were playing |
They + were + V4 (all evening) |
|
4 |
was not sleeping |
He + was + not + V4 |
|
5 |
Were / waiting |
Question: Were + you + V4 |
|
6 |
were walking |
We + were + V4 (interrupted) |
|
7 |
was reading |
She + was + V4 (while) |
|
8 |
was taking |
I + was + V4 (interrupted) |
|
9 |
were not studying |
They + were + not + V4 |
|
10 |
was driving |
He + was + V4 (interrupted) |
|
11 |
was sleeping |
I + was + V4 (specific time) |
|
12 |
was cooking |
She + was + V4 (interrupted) |
|
13 |
were playing |
They + were + V4 (all evening) |
|
14 |
was watching |
He + was + V4 (while) |
|
15 |
were walking |
We + were + V4 (interrupted) |
|
16 |
was working |
I + was + V4 (specific time) |
|
17 |
was teaching |
She + was + V4 (interrupted) |
|
18 |
were preparing |
They + were + V4 (all week) |
|
19 |
was writing |
He + was + V4 (interrupted) |
|
20 |
Was / cooking |
Question: Was + she + V4 |
|
21 |
was taking |
I + was + V4 (interrupted) |
|
22 |
was crossing |
She + was + V4 (interrupted) |
|
23 |
were sleeping |
They + were + V4 (interrupted) |
|
24 |
was driving |
He + was + V4 (interrupted) |
|
25 |
were discussing |
We + were + V4 (at that time) |
|
26 |
was not listening |
I + was + not + V4 |
|
27 |
was singing |
She + was + V4 (interrupted) |
|
28 |
were dancing |
They + were + V4 (all night) |
|
29 |
was reading |
He + was + V4 (specific time) |
|
30 |
Were / playing |
Question: Were + they + V4 |
|
31 |
was writing |
I + was + V4 (interrupted) |
|
32 |
was cleaning |
She + was + V4 (all morning) |
|
33 |
were travelling |
They + were + V4 (all week) |
|
34 |
was waiting |
He + was + V4 (specific time) |
|
35 |
were studying |
We + were + V4 (at that time) |
|
36 |
was not feeling |
I + was + not + V4 |
|
37 |
was having |
She + was + V4 |
|
38 |
were feeling |
They + were + V4 |
|
39 |
was coughing |
He + was + V4 (all night) |
|
40 |
Were / working |
Question: Were + you + V4 |
|
41 |
was thinking |
I + was + V4 |
|
42 |
was practising |
She + was + V4 |
|
43 |
were running |
They + were + V4 |
|
44 |
was swimming |
He + was + V4 |
|
45 |
were planning |
We + were + V4 |
|
46 |
was writing |
I + was + V4 (all morning) |
|
47 |
was helping |
She + was + V4 |
|
48 |
were waiting |
They + were + V4 |
|
49 |
was fixing |
He + was + V4 (all afternoon) |
|
50 |
Was / feeling |
Question: Was + he + V4 |
|
51 |
was learning |
I + was + V4 |
|
52 |
was doing |
She + was + V4 (specific time) |
|
53 |
were living |
They + were + V4 |
|
54 |
was searching |
He + was + V4 |
|
55 |
were watching |
We + were + V4 |
|
56 |
was feeling |
I + was + V4 |
|
57 |
was wearing |
She + was + V4 |
|
58 |
were working |
They + were + V4 |
|
59 |
was taking |
He + was + V4 |
|
60 |
Were / working |
Question: Were + you + V4 |
|
61 |
was saving |
I + was + V4 |
|
62 |
was teaching |
She + was + V4 |
|
63 |
were cleaning |
They + were + V4 (all day) |
|
64 |
was playing |
He + was + V4 (specific time) |
|
65 |
were trying |
We + were + V4 |
|
66 |
was not eating |
I + was + not + V4 |
|
67 |
was studying |
She + was + V4 |
|
68 |
were arguing |
They + were + V4 |
|
69 |
was growing |
He + was + V4 |
|
70 |
Was / practising |
Question: Was + she + V4 |
|
71 |
was visiting |
I + was + V4 |
|
72 |
was writing |
She + was + V4 |
|
73 |
were learning |
They + were + V4 |
|
74 |
was repairing |
He + was + V4 (all day) |
|
75 |
were thinking |
We + were + V4 |
|
76 |
was drinking |
I + was + V4 |
|
77 |
was feeding |
She + was + V4 |
|
78 |
were collecting |
They + were + V4 |
|
79 |
was training |
He + was + V4 |
|
80 |
Were / waiting |
Question: Were + they + V4 |
|
81 |
was practising |
I + was + V4 |
|
82 |
was cleaning |
She + was + V4 |
|
83 |
were discussing |
They + were + V4 |
|
84 |
was avoiding |
He + was + V4 |
|
85 |
were walking |
We + were + V4 (for) |
|
86 |
was not feeling |
I + was + not + V4 |
|
87 |
was looking |
She + was + V4 |
|
88 |
were planning |
They + were + V4 |
|
89 |
was sleeping |
He + was + V4 |
|
90 |
Were / learning |
Question: Were + you + V4 |
|
91 |
was working |
I + was + V4 |
|
92 |
was volunteering |
She + was + V4 |
|
93 |
were building |
They + were + V4 |
|
94 |
was reading |
He + was + V4 |
|
95 |
were enjoying |
We + were + V4 |
|
96 |
was noticing |
I + was + V4 |
|
97 |
was taking |
She + was + V4 |
|
98 |
were making |
They + were + V4 |
|
99 |
was waiting |
He + was + V4 |
|
100 |
was using |
I + was + V4 |
Quick
Reference: Key Rules
|
Rule |
Explanation |
|
I/He/She/It |
Use was |
|
You/We/They |
Use were |
|
V4 required |
Always use verb + ing |
|
Negative |
was/were + not + V4 |
|
Question |
Was/Were + subject + V4? |
|
Interrupted action |
Long action = Past Continuous,
Short action = Simple Past |
|
While |
दुई
काम
सँगै
भइरहेको |
|
When |
एक
कामले अर्कोलाई अवरोध गरेको |
|
All day/morning/evening |
दिनभर / बिहानभर / साँझभर |
|
At that time |
त्यो
समयमा |
|
Stative verbs |
Do NOT use in continuous (know,
like, want) |
V4
Formation Rules (Quick Recap)
|
Rule |
V1 |
V4 |
|
Add -ing |
study |
studying |
|
Drop e + ing |
write |
writing |
|
Double consonant |
run |
running |
|
-ie → -ying |
lie |
lying |
Common
Stative Verbs (No Continuous Form)
|
Verb |
Nepali |
Correct
Form |
|
know |
थाहा
हुनु |
knew (NOT was knowing) |
|
like |
मन
पराउनु |
liked (NOT was liking) |
|
want |
चाहनु |
wanted (NOT was wanting) |
|
need |
आवश्यक हुनु |
needed (NOT was needing) |
|
believe |
विश्वास गर्नु |
believed (NOT was believing) |
|
understand |
बुझ्नु |
understood (NOT was understanding) |
No comments:
Post a Comment