Saturday, 19 September 2026

Simple Past Tense: Complete Guide for Nepali Students

 Simple Past Tense: Complete Guide for Nepali Students

Introduction / परिचय

Simple Past Tense ले भूतकालमा भएको काम देखाउँछ जो अहिले सकिएको यसले काम कहिले भयो भन्ने कुरा स्पष्ट पार्छ। यो tense मा कामको समय निश्चित हुन्छ।

English: Simple Past Tense shows an action that happened and finished in the past. The time of the action is specific and known.

Nepali: Simple Past Tense ले भूतकालमा भएको सकिएको कामलाई देखाउँछ। काम कहिले भयो भन्ने कुरा स्पष्ट हुन्छ।

Structure / संरचना

Positive Sentence (सकारात्मक वाक्य)

Subject + V2 (Past Form) + Object

Subject

Verb Form

Example

I, You, We, They, He, She, It

V2

I went to school yesterday.

All subjects

V2

She ate rice last night.

Nepali: कर्ता + क्रियाको दोस्रो रूप + कर्म

Note: Simple Past मा सबै subjects सँग एउटै V2 form प्रयोग हुन्छ। (I went, She went, They went — सबै same)

Negative Sentence (नकारात्मक वाक्य)

Subject + did + not + V1 (Base Form) + Object

Example

Nepali Meaning

I did not go to school yesterday.

हिजो स्कुल गइनँ।

She did not eat rice last night.

उनले हिजो राति भात खाइनन्।

Short forms: didn't

Important: Negative मा V2 होइन, V1 प्रयोग हुन्छ। "did not went" गलत हो।

Question Sentence (प्रश्नवाचक वाक्य)

Did + Subject + V1 + Object ?

Example

Nepali Meaning

Did you go to school yesterday?

तिमी हिजो स्कुल गयौ?

Did she eat rice last night?

उनले हिजो राति भात खाइन्?

Important: Question मा पनि V2 होइन, V1 प्रयोग हुन्छ।

V2 (Past Form) कसरी बनाउने?

Regular Verbs (नियमित क्रियापद)

Rule: Base verb + -ed

V1 (Base)

V2 (Past)

Nepali

play

played

खेल्नु

work

worked

काम गर्नु

study

studied

पढ्नु

watch

watched

हेर्नु

clean

cleaned

सफा गर्नु

help

helped

मद्दत गर्नु

talk

talked

बोल्नु

walk

walked

हिँड्न

Spelling Rules:

Rule

V1

V2

Most verbs: add -ed

work

worked

Ends in -e: add -d

live

lived

Ends in consonant + y: change y to i + ed

study

studied

Ends in vowel + y: add -ed

play

played

Short CVC: double consonant + ed

stop

stopped

Irregular Verbs (अनियमित क्रियापद)

यी verbs को V2 form नियम अनुसार बन्दैन। याद गर्नुपर्छ।

V1

V2

Nepali

go

went

जानु

eat

ate

खानु

see

saw

देख्नु

do

did

गर्नु

write

wrote

लेख्नु

take

took

लिनु

give

gave

दिनु

come

came

आउनु

buy

bought

किन्नु

read

read

पढ्नु

speak

spoke

बोल्नु

break

broke

भाँच्नु

drink

drank

पिउनु

know

knew

थाहा हुनु

begin

began

सुरु गर्नु

get

got

पाउनु

make

made

बनाउनु

say

said

भन्नु

tell

told

भन्नु

think

thought

सोच्नु

find

found

भेट्नु

leave

left

छोड्नु

meet

met

भेट्नु

run

ran

दौडनु

sit

sat

बस्नु

sleep

slept

सुत्नु

stand

stood

उभिनु

swim

swam

पौडी खेल्नु

win

won

जित्नु

lose

lost

हार्नु

Uses of Simple Past Tense / प्रयोगहरू

Use 1: Completed Action in the Past

भूतकालमा सकिएको काम

काम भूतकालमा भयो सकियो समय स्पष्ट हुन्छ।

Example

Nepali Meaning

I visited Pokhara last year.

मैले गत वर्ष पोखरा भ्रमण गरें।

She finished her homework an hour ago.

उनले एक घण्टा अघि गृहकार्य सकाइन्।

They watched a movie last night.

उनीहरूले हिजो राति चलचित्र हेरे।

He bought a new phone yesterday.

उसले हिजो नयाँ फोन किन्यो।

Use 2: Series of Completed Actions

क्रमबद्ध रूपमा भएका कामहरू

Example

Nepali Meaning

She woke up, brushed her teeth, and ate breakfast.

उनी उठिन्, दाँत माझिन्, बिहानको खाना खाइन्।

He entered the room, sat down, and opened his book.

कोठामा छिर्यो, बस्यो, किताब खोल्यो।

Use 3: Past Habits (Repeated Actions)

भूतकालको बानी (दोहोरिने काम)

Example

Nepali Meaning

I walked to school every day when I was young.

सानो हुँदा हरेक दिन स्कुल हिँड्थें।

She visited her grandmother every summer.

उनी हरेक गर्मीमा हजुरआमालाई भेट्न जान्थिन्।

Use 4: Past Facts or General Truths

भूतकालको तथ्य

Example

Nepali Meaning

He was a doctor.

डाक्टर थिए।

They lived in Kathmandu for ten years.

उनीहरू दस वर्ष काठमाडौंमा बसे।

Time Adverbs / समयसूचक शब्दहरू

Time Adverbs Used with Simple Past

English

Nepali Meaning

Example

yesterday

हिजो

I saw him yesterday.

last night

हिजो राति

She called me last night.

last week

गत हप्ता

We met last week.

last month

गत महिना

He left last month.

last year

गत वर्ष

They visited Nepal last year.

ago

अघि

I met her two days ago.

in 2020

2020 मा

I graduated in 2020.

on Monday

सोमबार

She arrived on Monday.

then

त्यसपछि

He finished work and then left.

when

जब

I was sleeping when he called.

just now

भर्खरै

She left just now.

this morning

आज बिहान

I saw him this morning.

once

एक पटक

I once visited Lumbini.

formerly

पहिले

He formerly worked here.

previously

पहिले

She previously lived in Delhi.

Present Perfect vs Simple Past

Simple Past

Present Perfect

I saw him yesterday.

I have seen him.

समय स्पष्ट (yesterday)

समय स्पष्ट छैन

काम सकियो

कामको असर अहिले

Specific time: yesterday, last week, in 2020, ago

Non-specific: ever, never, just, already, yet

Sample Sentences / नमूना वाक्यहरू

Daily Life (दैनिक जीवन)

English

Nepali Meaning

I woke up at 6 AM yesterday.

हिजो बिहान 6 बजे उठें।

She cooked dinner last night.

उनले हिजो राति खाना पकाइन्।

They played football yesterday.

उनीहरूले हिजो फुटबल खेले।

He watched TV all evening.

साँझभर टिभी हेर्यो।

We visited our grandparents last week.

हामीले गत हप्ता हजुरबुबा-हजुरआमालाई भेट्यौं।

Work/Study (काम/पढाइ)

English

Nepali Meaning

I submitted my assignment yesterday.

मैले हिजो मेरो असाइनमेन्ट बुझाएँ।

She worked here for five years.

उनले यहाँ पाँच वर्ष काम गरिन्।

They completed the project last month.

उनीहरूले गत महिना परियोजना पूरा गरे।

He taught at this school in 2015.

उनले 2015 मा यो स्कुलमा पढाए।

We studied English for two hours.

हामीले दुई घण्टा अंग्रेजी पढ्यौं।

Experience (अनुभव)

English

Nepali Meaning

I visited many countries last year.

मैले गत वर्ष धेरै देशहरू भ्रमण गरें।

She went to Nepal in 2019.

उनी 2019 मा नेपाल गइन्।

Did you eat Nepali food?

तिमीले नेपाली खाना खायौ?

He saw that movie last week.

उसले गत हप्ता त्यो चलचित्र हेर्यो।

I met your brother yesterday.

मैले हिजो तिम्रो भाइलाई भेटें।

Common Mistakes / सामान्य गल्तीहरू

Wrong

Right

Reason

I did not went to school.

I did not go to school.

did + not + V1

Did she ate rice?

Did she eat rice?

Did + subject + V1

He goed to school.

He went to school.

Irregular verb: go → went

She studyed hard.

She studied hard.

Consonant + y → ied

I have seen him yesterday.

I saw him yesterday.

Specific past time = Simple Past

They was happy.

They were happy.

They + were

He were tired.

He was tired.

He/She/It + was

Was/Were (Past form of "to be")

Subject

Past Form

Example

I, He, She, It

was

I was tired.

You, We, They

were

They were happy.

 

Negative

Question

I was not (wasn't)

Was I?

They were not (weren't)

Were they?

Quick Summary Table

Aspect

Rule

Structure

Subject + V2 + Object

Negative

Subject + did + not + V1

Question

Did + subject + V1?

All subjects

Same V2 form

Was

I, He, She, It

Were

You, We, They

Use 1

Completed action in past

Use 2

Series of completed actions

Use 3

Past habits

Use 4

Past facts

Time adverbs

yesterday, last week, ago, in 2020

Practice Exercise

Fill in the blanks with correct Simple Past form:

1.      I ________ (go) to school yesterday.

2.      She ________ (eat) rice last night.

3.      They ________ (play) football last week.

4.      He ________ (not come) to the party.

5.      ________ you ________ (see) him yesterday?

6.      We ________ (study) English for two hours.

7.      She ________ (buy) a new phone last month.

8.      I ________ (not sleep) well last night.

9.      ________ she ________ (finish) her work?

10. He ________ (write) a letter yesterday.

Answers:

1.      went

2.      ate

3.      played

4.      did not come

5.      Did / see

6.      studied

7.      bought

8.      did not sleep

9.      Did / finish

10. wrote

Final Reminder for Nepali Students

1.      V2 प्रयोग गर्नुहोस् positive sentence मा — "I went" not "I go"

2.      Did + V1 प्रयोग गर्नुहोस् negative question मा — "I did not go" not "I did not went"

3.      Specific past time (yesterday, last week, ago) सँग Simple Past प्रयोग गर्नुहोस्

4.      Irregular verbs को V2 form याद गर्नुहोस् — go → went, eat → ate

5.      Was/Were — I/He/She/It = was, You/We/They = were

6.      Present Perfect सँग Simple Past मिसाउनु हुँदैन — "I have seen him yesterday" गलत हो

100 Simple Past Tense Practice Questions

Instructions

Fill in the blanks with the correct Simple Past form. Choose from the options given in brackets. Answers with short reasons are provided at the end.


Part 1: Questions 1–100

#

Question

1

I ________ (go / went / gone) to school yesterday.

2

She ________ (eat / ate / eaten) rice last night.

3

They ________ (play / played / playing) football last week.

4

He ________ (not come / did not come / did not came) to the party.

5

________ you ________ (Did / see, Did / saw, Do / see) him yesterday?

6

We ________ (study / studied / studying) English for two hours.

7

She ________ (buy / bought / boughted) a new phone last month.

8

I ________ (not sleep / did not sleep / did not slept) well last night.

9

________ she ________ (Did / finish, Did / finished, Does / finish) her work?

10

He ________ (write / wrote / writed) a letter yesterday.

11

I ________ (wake / woke / waked) up at 6 AM yesterday.

12

She ________ (cook / cooked / cooking) dinner last night.

13

They ________ (visit / visited / visiting) their grandparents last week.

14

He ________ (watch / watched / watching) TV all evening.

15

We ________ (meet / met / meeted) him at the station.

16

She ________ (not go / did not go / did not went) to the market.

17

________ he ________ (Did / come, Did / came, Does / come) to school?

18

I ________ (see / saw / seen) a beautiful bird yesterday.

19

They ________ (buy / bought / buyed) a new car last month.

20

She ________ (take / took / taked) many photos.

21

He ________ (give / gave / gived) me a gift.

22

We ________ (not see / did not see / did not saw) that movie.

23

________ you ________ (Did / eat, Did / ate, Do / eat) breakfast?

24

I ________ (speak / spoke / speaked) to the manager yesterday.

25

She ________ (break / broke / breaked) her phone.

26

They ________ (drink / drank / drinked) coffee last night.

27

He ________ (know / knew / knowed) the answer.

28

We ________ (begin / began / begun) the meeting at 10 AM.

29

She ________ (not take / did not take / did not took) her medicine.

30

________ they ________ (Did / go, Did / went, Do / go) to Pokhara?

31

I ________ (get / got / getted) a new laptop last week.

32

She ________ (make / made / maked) a cake yesterday.

33

He ________ (say / said / sayed) hello to me.

34

They ________ (tell / told / telled) us the truth.

35

I ________ (think / thought / thinked) about it last night.

36

She ________ (find / found / finded) her keys.

37

We ________ (leave / left / leaved) the office at 5 PM.

38

He ________ (meet / met / meeted) his friend yesterday.

39

They ________ (run / ran / runned) in the park.

40

________ she ________ (Did / sit, Did / sat, Does / sit) here?

41

I ________ (sleep / slept / sleeped) for eight hours.

42

She ________ (stand / stood / standed) near the door.

43

He ________ (swim / swam / swimmed) in the pool.

44

They ________ (win / won / winned) the match.

45

I ________ (lose / lost / losed) my wallet.

46

She ________ (not eat / did not eat / did not ate) anything.

47

________ you ________ (Did / write, Did / wrote, Do / write) the report?

48

He ________ (read / read / readed) the newspaper.

49

We ________ (sing / sang / singed) a song.

50

They ________ (dance / danced / dancing) all night.

51

I ________ (teach / taught / teached) him English.

52

She ________ (catch / caught / catched) the bus.

53

He ________ (bring / brought / bringed) his book.

54

We ________ (not have / did not have / did not had) time.

55

________ he ________ (Did / bring, Did / brought, Does / bring) the food?

56

I ________ (put / put / putted) the keys on the table.

57

She ________ (cut / cut / cutted) the vegetables.

58

They ________ (build / built / builded) a new house.

59

He ________ (send / sent / sended) an email.

60

I ________ (spend / spent / spended) two hours studying.

61

She ________ (not tell / did not tell / did not told) me.

62

________ they ________ (Did / win, Did / won, Do / win) the game?

63

We ________ (fly / flew / flyed) to Delhi.

64

He ________ (drive / drove / drived) to work.

65

She ________ (ride / rode / rided) a bicycle.

66

I ________ (wear / wore / weared) a new shirt.

67

They ________ (grow / grew / growed) vegetables.

68

He ________ (draw / drew / drawed) a picture.

69

We ________ (not go / did not go / did not went) to the party.

70

________ she ________ (Did / make, Did / made, Does / make) a cake?

71

I ________ (hear / heard / heared) a strange noise.

72

She ________ (feel / felt / feeled) happy.

73

He ________ (keep / kept / keeped) the secret.

74

They ________ (sell / sold / selled) their old car.

75

I ________ (pay / paid / payed) the bill.

76

She ________ (not understand / did not understand / did not understood) the question.

77

________ you ________ (Did / hear, Did / heard, Do / hear) the news?

78

He ________ (choose / chose / choosed) the red shirt.

79

We ________ (forget / forgot / forgetted) the time.

80

She ________ (fall / fell / falled) down the stairs.

81

I ________ (hurt / hurt / hurted) my leg.

82

They ________ (lend / lent / lended) me money.

83

He ________ (shake / shook / shaked) my hand.

84

She ________ (steal / stole / stealed) the cookie.

85

We ________ (not see / did not see / did not saw) the sign.

86

________ he ________ (Did / steal, Did / stole, Does / steal) the money?

87

I ________ (understand / understood / understanded) the lesson.

88

She ________ (teach / taught / teached) us maths.

89

He ________ (fight / fought / fighted) bravely.

90

They ________ (seek / sought / seeked) help.

91

I ________ (think / thought / thinked) it was a good idea.

92

She ________ (not wear / did not wear / did not wore) a jacket.

93

________ they ________ (Did / find, Did / found, Do / find) the treasure?

94

He ________ (become / became / becomed) a doctor.

95

We ________ (begin / began / begun) to laugh.

96

She ________ (bring / brought / bringed) her sister.

97

I ________ (buy / bought / buyed) some fruits.

98

They ________ (catch / caught / catched) the thief.

99

He ________ (not do / did not do / did not did) his homework.

100

She ________ (go / went / gone) to the market yesterday.


Part 2: Answers with Short Reasons

#

Answer

Short Reason

1

went

Irregular: go → went

2

ate

Irregular: eat → ate

3

played

Regular: play → played

4

did not come

did + not + V1

5

Did / see

Question: Did + subject + V1

6

studied

Consonant + y → ied

7

bought

Irregular: buy → bought

8

did not sleep

did + not + V1

9

Did / finish

Question: Did + subject + V1

10

wrote

Irregular: write → wrote

11

woke

Irregular: wake → woke

12

cooked

Regular: cook → cooked

13

visited

Regular: visit → visited

14

watched

Regular: watch → watched

15

met

Irregular: meet → met

16

did not go

did + not + V1

17

Did / come

Question: Did + subject + V1

18

saw

Irregular: see → saw

19

bought

Irregular: buy → bought

20

took

Irregular: take → took

21

gave

Irregular: give → gave

22

did not see

did + not + V1

23

Did / eat

Question: Did + subject + V1

24

spoke

Irregular: speak → spoke

25

broke

Irregular: break → broke

26

drank

Irregular: drink → drank

27

knew

Irregular: know → knew

28

began

Irregular: begin → began

29

did not take

did + not + V1

30

Did / go

Did + subject + V1

31

got

Irregular: get → got

32

made

Irregular: make → made

33

said

Irregular: say → said

34

told

Irregular: tell → told

35

thought

Irregular: think → thought

36

found

Irregular: find → found

37

left

Irregular: leave → left

38

met

Irregular: meet → met

39

ran

Irregular: run → ran

40

Did / sit

Question: Did + subject + V1

41

slept

Irregular: sleep → slept

42

stood

Irregular: stand → stood

43

swam

Irregular: swim → swam

44

won

Irregular: win → won

45

lost

Irregular: lose → lost

46

did not eat

did + not + V1

47

Did / write

Question: Did + subject + V1

48

read

Irregular: read → read (pronounced "red")

49

sang

Irregular: sing → sang

50

danced

Regular: dance → danced

51

taught

Irregular: teach → taught

52

caught

Irregular: catch → caught

53

brought

Irregular: bring → brought

54

did not have

did + not + V1

55

Did / bring

Question: Did + subject + V1

56

put

Irregular: put → put (same)

57

cut

Irregular: cut → cut (same)

58

built

Irregular: build → built

59

sent

Irregular: send → sent

60

spent

Irregular: spend → spent

61

did not tell

did + not + V1

62

Did / win

Question: Did + subject + V1

63

flew

Irregular: fly → flew

64

drove

Irregular: drive → drove

65

rode

Irregular: ride → rode

66

wore

Irregular: wear → wore

67

grew

Irregular: grow → grew

68

drew

Irregular: draw → drew

69

did not go

did + not + V1

70

Did / make

Question: Did + subject + V1

71

heard

Irregular: hear → heard

72

felt

Irregular: feel → felt

73

kept

Irregular: keep → kept

74

sold

Irregular: sell → sold

75

paid

Irregular: pay → paid

76

did not understand

did + not + V1

77

Did / hear

Question: Did + subject + V1

78

chose

Irregular: choose → chose

79

forgot

Irregular: forget → forgot

80

fell

Irregular: fall → fell

81

hurt

Irregular: hurt → hurt (same)

82

lent

Irregular: lend → lent

83

shook

Irregular: shake → shook

84

stole

Irregular: steal → stole

85

did not see

did + not + V1

86

Did / steal

Question: Did + subject + V1

87

understood

Irregular: understand → understood

88

taught

Irregular: teach → taught

89

fought

Irregular: fight → fought

90

sought

Irregular: seek → sought

91

thought

Irregular: think → thought

92

did not wear

did + not + V1

93

Did / find

Question: Did + subject + V1

94

became

Irregular: become → became

95

began

Irregular: begin → began

96

brought

Irregular: bring → brought

97

bought

Irregular: buy → bought

98

caught

Irregular: catch → caught

99

did not do

did + not + V1

100

went

Irregular: go → went


Quick Reference: Key Rules

Rule

Explanation

Positive

Subject + V2 + Object

Negative

Subject + did + not + V1

Question

Did + subject + V1?

All subjects

Same V2 form (I went, She went, They went)

Was

I, He, She, It

Were

You, We, They

Regular verbs

Add -ed (play → played)

Irregular verbs

Must memorize (go → went)

Specific past time

yesterday, last week, ago, in 2020


Common Irregular V2 Forms to Remember

V1

V2

Nepali

go

went

गएको

eat

ate

खाएको

see

saw

देखेको

do

did

गरेको

write

wrote

लेखेको

take

took

लिएको

give

gave

दिएको

come

came

आएको

buy

bought

किनेको

read

read

पढेको

speak

spoke

बोलेको

break

broke

भाँचेको

drink

drank

पिएको

know

knew

थाहा भएको

begin

began

सुरु गरेको

get

got

पाएको

make

made

बनाएको

say

said

भनेको

tell

told

भनेको

think

thought

सोचेको

find

found

भेटेको

leave

left

छोडेको

meet

met

भेटेको

run

ran

दौडेको

sit

sat

बसेको

sleep

slept

सुतेको

stand

stood

उभिएको

swim

swam

पौडी खेलेको

win

won

जितेको

lose

lost

हारेको

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

English Conversations with Nepali Translation

 English Conversations with Nepali Translation Each Set Contains 8 Exchanges Between Two People Set 1: At the Airport #E...