PTE Respond to a Situation - 50 Samples with Prompts and Simple Answers (60-70 Words)
Here
are 50 PTE "Respond to a Situation" practice samples with prompts and
simple answers. Each answer is approximately 60-70 words.
Sample 1: Asking for a Late Checkout
Prompt: You are staying at a hotel and want to request a late
checkout. Speak to the receptionist.
Answer:
Good morning. I am staying in room 205. My flight is not until late evening, so
I was wondering if I could please have a late checkout at 2 PM instead of the
usual 12 PM. I am happy to pay any extra charges if required. Could you please
check if this is possible? Thank you very much for your help.
Sample 2: Returning a Borrowed Item Damaged
Prompt: You borrowed a book from a friend and accidentally damaged
it. You want to inform them.
Answer:
Hi. I need to tell you something important. I accidentally spilled water on the
book you lent me last week. I feel terrible about it. I will buy you a new copy
or pay you the full price, whichever you prefer. Please let me know what works
best for you. I am really sorry about this.
Sample 3: Requesting a Transcript from University
Prompt: You need your academic transcript from your university. You
want to request it.
Answer:
Good morning. I am a graduate of your university from the batch of 2020. I need
my official academic transcript for a job application. Could you please tell me
the process to request it? How long does it usually take? Is there a fee I need
to pay? Thank you for your assistance.
Sample 4: Asking for a Table Near the Window
Prompt: You are at a restaurant and want a table near the window.
Speak to the waiter.
Answer:
Good evening. Do you have any tables available near the window? My friend and I
would really love to enjoy the view while we have our dinner. If there is one
available, that would be wonderful. We are happy to wait a few minutes if
needed. Thank you so much.
Sample 5: Reporting a Broken Street Light
Prompt: The street light near your house is broken. You want to
report it to the local authority.
Answer:
Hello. I would like to report a broken street light on Maple Street near house
number 12. It has not been working for over a week now. The area becomes very
dark at night and feels quite unsafe for residents. Could you please arrange
for it to be repaired as soon as possible? Thank you.
Sample 6: Asking a Professor for Assignment Feedback
Prompt: You submitted an assignment and want to know your mistakes.
Speak to your professor.
Answer:
Good afternoon, Professor. I received my assignment grade yesterday, but I
would like to understand my mistakes better. Could you please give me some
detailed feedback on where I went wrong? This will help me improve for future
assignments. I would really appreciate your time and guidance. Thank you.
Sample 7: Requesting a Wake-Up Call
Prompt: You are at a hotel and need a wake-up call at 5 AM. Speak
to the front desk.
Answer:
Good evening. I have an early morning flight tomorrow and I am worried about
oversleeping. Could you please arrange a wake-up call for me at 5 AM? My room
number is 310. I would really appreciate it if you could confirm this for me.
Thank you very much.
Sample 8: Complaining About Cold Food
Prompt: Your food arrived cold at a restaurant. You want to inform
the waiter.
Answer:
Excuse me. I am sorry to bother you, but my food has arrived cold. I ordered
the chicken curry and it is not warm at all. Could you please take it back and
bring me a hot plate? I would really appreciate it. Thank you for your help.
Sample 9: Asking for a Medical Certificate
Prompt: You were sick and missed work. You need a medical
certificate from your doctor.
Answer:
Good morning, Doctor. I was sick last week with a fever and missed three days
of work. My employer requires a medical certificate to approve my sick leave.
Could you please provide one for me? I can wait here if you need time to
prepare it. Thank you.
Sample 10: Requesting a Receipt Copy
Prompt: You lost your receipt and need a copy from the store. Speak
to the cashier.
Answer:
Hello. I bought some items from your store yesterday, but I seem to have lost
my receipt. Could you please give me a copy? I paid by credit card, so you
should be able to find the transaction in your system. I need it for my expense
claim. Thank you.
Sample 11: Asking to Change a Doctor's Appointment
Prompt: You cannot attend your scheduled doctor's appointment. You
want to reschedule.
Answer:
Good morning. I have an appointment with Dr. Sharma on Thursday at 3 PM.
Unfortunately, I cannot make it due to a work commitment. Could I please
reschedule to another day next week? Any morning slot would work for me. Thank
you for your understanding and help.
Sample 12: Complaining About a Dirty Room
Prompt: Your hotel room is not clean. You want to inform the
housekeeping staff.
Answer:
Hello. I am staying in room 412. I just returned and noticed that my room has
not been cleaned properly. The floor is dirty and the towels have not been
replaced. Could you please send someone to clean it right away? I would really
appreciate prompt service. Thank you.
Sample 13: Asking a Friend to Lend a Book
Prompt: You want to borrow a book from your friend. Ask them
politely.
Answer:
Hey! I heard you have that new novel everyone has been talking about. I have
been wanting to read it for weeks. Could I please borrow it when you are
finished with it? I will take very good care of it and return it quickly.
Thanks so much!
Sample 14: Requesting a Seat on a Full Bus
Prompt: You are on a crowded bus and feel unwell. You want to ask
someone for a seat.
Answer:
Excuse me. I am very sorry to bother you, but I am not feeling well and I am
feeling quite dizzy. Would it be possible for me to sit down for a few minutes?
I would be extremely grateful for your kindness. Thank you so much for
understanding.
Sample 15: Asking for Help with a Computer Problem
Prompt: Your computer is not working. You want to ask a colleague
for help.
Answer:
Hi. My computer is not turning on properly. It keeps showing a black screen and
I have an important presentation this afternoon. Do you know anything about
fixing computers? Could you please take a quick look at it? I would really
appreciate your help. Thank you.
Sample 16: Requesting Extra Blankets at a Hotel
Prompt: You are cold at night in your hotel room. You want to ask
for extra blankets.
Answer:
Hello. I am staying in room 508. It gets quite cold at night and the blanket
provided is not warm enough for me. Could you please send up two extra
blankets? I would really appreciate it. Thank you very much for your help.
Sample 17: Complaining About a Late Bus
Prompt: The public bus is very late. You want to complain to the
bus company.
Answer:
Good morning. I am calling to complain about the number 15 bus service. It is
always late in the morning. Today I waited at the stop for forty-five minutes.
This makes me late for work every day. Could you please look into this and
improve the service? Thank you.
Sample 18: Asking for a Vegetarian Option
Prompt: You are at a restaurant and want a vegetarian dish. Speak
to the waiter.
Answer:
Excuse me. I am a vegetarian and I would like to know which dishes on your menu
do not contain any meat or fish. Also, do you have any vegan options available?
I would really appreciate your recommendations. Thank you very much for your
help.
Sample 19: Reporting a Missing Package
Prompt: You ordered a package but it never arrived. You want to
inform the delivery company.
Answer:
Hello. My package was supposed to arrive three days ago, but I have not
received it yet. The tracking information says it was delivered, but I never
got it. Could you please check what happened? I would like a refund or a
replacement. Thank you for your help.
Sample 20: Asking a Neighbour to Lower TV Volume
Prompt: Your neighbour's TV is too loud at night. You want to ask
them to lower it.
Answer:
Hi. I am sorry to disturb you. Your television is quite loud at night and I can
hear it clearly from my apartment. Could you please lower the volume after 10
PM? I have to wake up early for work and it is difficult to sleep. Thank you so
much for understanding.
Sample 21: Requesting a Letter from Your Landlord
Prompt: You need a letter from your landlord confirming your
address. Ask them.
Answer:
Good morning. I need a letter from you confirming that I live at this address.
I am applying for a new bank account and they require proof of residence. Could
you please write a short letter for me? I would really appreciate your help.
Thank you very much.
Sample 22: Asking for a Refund on a Cancelled Flight
Prompt: Your flight was cancelled. You want a refund from the
airline.
Answer:
Good afternoon. My flight was cancelled last week and I was unable to take an
alternative flight. I would like to request a full refund for my ticket. Could
you please tell me the process for getting my money back? I have my booking
reference ready. Thank you for your assistance.
Sample 23: Asking a Teacher for a Makeup Exam
Prompt: You missed an exam due to illness. You want to ask your
teacher for a makeup exam.
Answer:
Good morning, Sir. I missed the exam last week because I was sick. I have a
medical certificate from my doctor to prove it. Could I please take a makeup
exam? I have studied the material and I am ready. I would be very grateful.
Thank you.
Sample 24: Complaining About a Haircut
Prompt: You are not happy with your haircut. You want to tell the
hairstylist.
Answer:
Hello. I am sorry, but this haircut is not what I asked for. It is much shorter
than I wanted and the style is different from the picture I showed you. Is there
anything you can do to fix it? I would really appreciate it. Thank you.
Sample 25: Asking for a Quiet Room in a Hotel
Prompt: You are at a hotel and want a quiet room away from the
street. Ask the receptionist.
Answer:
Good evening. I have a reservation for tonight. Could I please have a quiet
room away from the main road? I am a light sleeper and the traffic noise really
bothers me. If you have a room facing the garden, that would be perfect. Thank
you very much.
Sample 26: Requesting a Sick Note for School
Prompt: You were absent from school due to illness. You need a note
from your parents.
Answer:
Hello, Teacher. I was absent for two days last week because I was sick with a
cold and fever. Here is a note from my parents explaining the situation. I am
sorry for missing class. Could you please tell me what I missed so I can catch
up? Thank you.
Sample 27: Asking for Help Finding a Product in a Store
Prompt: You cannot find an item in a supermarket. You want to ask a
staff member.
Answer:
Excuse me. I am looking for olive oil, but I cannot find it anywhere. Could you
please tell me which aisle it is in? I have been searching for ten minutes. I
would really appreciate your help. Thank you very much.
Sample 28: Reporting a Lost ID Card
Prompt: You lost your student ID card. You want to report it to the
school office.
Answer:
Good morning. I lost my student ID card yesterday somewhere on campus. Could
you please tell me how to get a replacement? Do I need to fill out a form or
pay a fee? I need it urgently for my exams next week. Thank you for your help.
Sample 29: Asking for a Table for a Large Group
Prompt: You are at a restaurant with 10 people. You want a table.
Speak to the host.
Answer:
Good evening. We have a group of ten people. Do you have a table available for
us? We understand it might take some time to arrange. We are happy to wait if
needed. Please let us know what you can do. Thank you very much.
Sample 30: Complaining About a Wrong Bill
Prompt: Your restaurant bill has items you did not order. You want
to tell the waiter.
Answer:
Excuse me. I think there is a mistake on our bill. We did not order these two
items listed here. Could you please check with the kitchen and correct it? We
only had the dishes we ordered. I would appreciate it if you could fix this.
Thank you.
Sample 31: Asking for Time Off for a Wedding
Prompt: You need leave from work to attend a wedding. Ask your
manager.
Answer:
Good morning, Sir. I would like to request two days of leave next week. My
cousin is getting married and I need to travel to my hometown for the ceremony.
I will complete all my urgent work before I leave. I hope you can approve it.
Thank you.
Sample 32: Requesting a Different Seat on a Train
Prompt: Your train seat is uncomfortable. You want to ask the
conductor for a change.
Answer:
Excuse me. My seat is near the toilet and it is quite uncomfortable and noisy.
Are there any other seats available on this train? I would be happy to move and
pay any difference if needed. I would really appreciate your help. Thank you.
Sample 33: Asking a Friend to Pick You Up
Prompt: Your car broke down. You want to ask a friend to pick you
up.
Answer:
Hey. My car broke down on the highway and I am stuck near the petrol station on
Ring Road. Could you please come and pick me up? I have called a tow truck but
I need a ride home. I would really appreciate it. Thanks so much!
Sample 34: Complaining About a Slow Internet Connection
Prompt: Your internet is very slow. You want to complain to the
service provider.
Answer:
Good afternoon. My internet connection has been very slow for the past week. I
cannot work properly or attend video calls. Could you please check the
connection and fix it? My account number is XXXXX. I would appreciate a quick
response. Thank you for your help.
Sample 35: Asking for a Doctor's Note for Work
Prompt: You need a doctor's note to give to your employer. Ask your
doctor.
Answer:
Good morning, Doctor. I was sick last week and missed three days of work. My
employer needs a doctor's note confirming my illness and the dates I was
absent. Could you please provide one for me? I would really appreciate it.
Thank you very much.
Sample 36: Requesting a Room Upgrade
Prompt: You are at a hotel and want to upgrade your room. Speak to
the receptionist.
Answer:
Good evening. I currently have a standard room booked for three nights. Is it
possible to upgrade to a deluxe room? How much extra would it cost per night?
If the price is reasonable, I would like to go ahead. Thank you for checking.
Sample 37: Asking a Professor for a Deadline Extension
Prompt: You cannot finish your essay on time. You want to ask your
professor for more time.
Answer:
Dear Professor. I am very sorry, but I cannot submit my essay by Friday. I had
a family emergency that required my attention. Could I please have until Monday
to submit it? I will make sure it is my best work. Thank you for understanding.
Sample 38: Reporting a Broken Elevator
Prompt: The elevator in your building is broken. You want to inform
the building manager.
Answer:
Hello. The elevator in our building has been broken since yesterday morning.
Many elderly people live on the upper floors and it is very difficult for them
to use the stairs. Could you please get it repaired as soon as possible? Thank
you for your attention.
Sample 39: Asking for a Refund on a Defective Item
Prompt: You bought a defective item. You want a refund from the
shop.
Answer:
Good morning. I bought this electric kettle from your shop yesterday, but it
does not work at all. I have the receipt with me. I would like a refund or a
replacement, whichever you can offer. Could you please help me with this? Thank
you.
Sample 40: Asking for Help Moving Furniture
Prompt: You need help moving a heavy sofa. You want to ask a
friend.
Answer:
Hey. I am moving my sofa to my new apartment this weekend, but it is too heavy
for me to carry alone. Could you please help me for an hour or two? I will buy
you lunch afterward. Let me know if you are free. Thanks so much!
Sample 41: Requesting a Copy of Your Medical Report
Prompt: You need a copy of your medical report from the hospital.
Ask the staff.
Answer:
Good morning. I had some blood tests done at your hospital last week. Could I
please get a copy of my medical report? I need it for my insurance claim. Do I
need to fill out any form or pay a fee? Thank you for your help.
Sample 42: Complaining About a Rude Taxi Driver
Prompt: A taxi driver was rude to you. You want to complain to the
taxi company.
Answer:
Good afternoon. I took one of your taxis this morning and the driver was very
rude to me. He also took a longer route and charged me extra. I have the
receipt with the taxi number. I would like to make a formal complaint. Thank
you.
Sample 43: Asking for a Table Reservation
Prompt: You want to book a table at a restaurant for a birthday.
Call the restaurant.
Answer:
Good evening. I would like to reserve a table for six people this Saturday at 7
PM. It is for my mother's birthday celebration. Could you please confirm the
booking? Also, do you allow outside cakes? I would really appreciate your help.
Thank you.
Sample 44: Asking for a Library Card
Prompt: You want to join a library. Ask the librarian how to get a
card.
Answer:
Good morning. I would like to become a member of this library. Could you please
tell me how to get a library card? What documents do I need to bring? Is there
a membership fee? I would really appreciate your guidance. Thank you very much.
Sample 45: Reporting a Theft
Prompt: Your bag was stolen at a bus station. You want to report it
to the police.
Answer:
Good morning, Officer. My bag was stolen at the bus station this morning while
I was waiting for my bus. It contained my wallet, phone, and some important
documents. Could you please help me file a report? I need it for my insurance
claim. Thank you.
Sample 46: Asking for an Extension on a Library Book
Prompt: You cannot return a library book on time. You want to renew
it.
Answer:
Hello. I borrowed this book from the library and it is due tomorrow.
Unfortunately, I have not finished reading it yet. Could I please renew it for
another two weeks? I would really appreciate it. Thank you very much for your
help.
Sample 47: Requesting a Specific Seat on a Plane
Prompt: You want an aisle seat on your flight. Ask at the check-in
counter.
Answer:
Good morning. I am checking in for flight NP 204 to Delhi. Could I please have
an aisle seat if one is available? I prefer it because I need to stretch my
legs during the journey. I would really appreciate it. Thank you for your help.
Sample 48: Asking for a Payment Plan
Prompt: You cannot pay your full tuition fee at once. You want to
ask for a payment plan.
Answer:
Good morning. I am unable to pay my full tuition fee at once due to some
financial difficulties. Is it possible to pay in installments? I can pay half
now and the remaining amount next month. Please let me know if this can be
arranged. Thank you.
Sample 49: Complaining About a Noisy Party Next Door
Prompt: Your neighbour is having a loud party late at night. You
want to ask them to stop.
Answer:
Hello. I am sorry to bother you, but the music is very loud and it is past
midnight. I have to wake up early for work tomorrow. Could you please turn it
down or end the party soon? I would really appreciate your understanding. Thank
you very much.
Sample 50: Asking for Feedback on a Job Interview
Prompt: You had a job interview but did not get the job. You want
feedback from the employer.
Answer:
Good morning. Thank you for considering my application for the marketing
position. I understand I was not selected. Could you please share some feedback
about my interview? It would help me improve for future opportunities. I would
really appreciate your time. Thank you.
No comments:
Post a Comment