PTE
"Respond to a Situation" requires 2-3 questions in the exam, with
10-20 seconds of preparation time and 40 seconds of response time. The core assessment is your language appropriateness,
content relevance, fluency, and pronunciation. Whether your answer is good or
not depends not on advanced vocabulary, but on whether you can say "what
should be said" in "the right way".
🎯 Core Strategies and Response Framework
1.
3-Step Preparation Method: Identify Person, Goal, and Constraints
In just 10 seconds of preparation, don't attempt to write complete sentences.
Just note down three keywords:
- Person: Who are you speaking to? (Professor, classmate, boss,
friend?) This determines whether your tone should be formal or casual.
- Goal: What do you want the other person to do? (Request,
apologize, explain, decline?)
- Constraints: What are the key limitations? (Time, location,
reasons like illness, schedule conflicts.)
2.
Universal Response Structure: Opening-Body-Closing
Using a simple structure is more natural than memorizing a template.
Recommended process: Greeting → State the request/topic → Explain briefly
with reasons/context → Give action or next steps → Polite closing.
📊 Formal vs. Informal Situations: Vocabulary and
Tone Examples
Determine
the register based on the person you are speaking to.
|
Scenario
TypeTypical PersonAppropriate Vocabulary/PhrasesInappropriate
Vocabulary/Phrases |
|||
|
Formal |
Professor, Manager, Customer
Service, Landlord |
Greeting: Good morning, Professor / Excuse me |
Hey / What's up / Wanna (too
casual) |
|
Informal |
Friend, Classmate, Family |
Greeting: Hi / Hey[cite:5] |
I am writing to inform you (too
stiff, like email) |
💡 Sample Prompts and Simple Answers
Scenario
1: Academic Formal (Requesting Extension)
- Prompt: You are a university student. Your assignment is due
this Friday, but you have been unwell for the past three days and have not
been able to complete it. Speak to your professor and request an
extension.
- Simple Answer:
"Good morning, Professor Williams. I wanted to talk about the assignment due this Friday. Unfortunately, I've been quite unwell for the past three days, which affected my ability to work on it. Would it be possible to get a short extension? Maybe a few extra days? I want to make sure I submit quality work. Thank you for considering my request." - Tone Focus: Formal, polite, explain reason clearly, provide
specific request.
Scenario
2: Social Informal (Declining Invitation)
- Prompt: Your friend has invited you to a birthday party this
Saturday evening. However, you have already committed to helping another
friend move into a new apartment that same evening. Decline the invitation
politely.
- Simple Answer:
"Hey, thanks so much for the invite! I'd honestly love to come, but I already promised another friend I'd help them move on Saturday evening. I can't really back out of that. I feel bad about missing it though. How about we catch up for coffee next week so I can give you your gift? Happy birthday in advance!" - Tone Focus: Warm, sincere apology, provide alternative plan.
⚠️ Key Points to Avoid Deductions
- Don't read the prompt like a
narrator: Don't say "The situation
is about..." and then repeat the question. Speak directly as if you
are the person in that situation, using "I".
- Don't use memorized templates: The content score is checked by humans or advanced AI
to see if your answer is relevant to the specific prompt. Generic template
answers that don't match the scenario will score very low.
- Don't be too brief: Responses under 20 seconds are insufficient to
demonstrate fluency, and you also miss opportunities for scoring. Even
simple scenarios should fill close to 40 seconds.
- Don't mix registers: Speaking to a professor with "Hey dude" or
speaking to a friend with "I am writing to inform you" are both
fatal errors
PTE
"Respond to a Situation" – 20 Sample Prompts & Simple Answers
Below
are 20 samples covering formal and informal
situations. Each answer is simple, natural, and around 30–40 seconds when
spoken.
🎓 FORMAL SITUATIONS (Academic / Professional)
Sample 1: Requesting a Deadline Extension
Prompt:
You are a student. You have a paper due tomorrow, but you are sick. Talk to
your professor.
Answer:
"Good morning, Professor. I'm sorry to bother you. I have a paper due
tomorrow, but I've been sick for the past two days and couldn't finish it.
Would it be possible to get a short extension? Maybe two or three more days? I
really want to submit good work. Thank you for your understanding."
Sample 2: Asking for a Letter of Recommendation
Prompt:
You need a recommendation letter from your professor for a scholarship
application.
Answer:
"Hello, Professor Lee. I hope you're doing well. I'm applying for a
scholarship and I need a letter of recommendation. Would you be willing to
write one for me? The deadline is next Friday. I can send you my resume and
details. Thank you so much for your time."
Sample 3: Reporting a Lost Item
Prompt:
You left your laptop bag in the library. Speak to the librarian.
Answer:
"Excuse me, I think I left my laptop bag here about an hour ago. It's a
black bag with a blue notebook inside. I checked my usual seat but it wasn't
there. Could you help me check if someone handed it in? I'd really appreciate
it."
Sample 4: Asking About a Course Requirement
Prompt:
You want to know if you can take an advanced course without the prerequisite.
Answer:
"Good afternoon, Professor. I'm interested in taking your advanced course
next semester. However, I haven't completed the prerequisite. I do have
relevant work experience though. Would it be possible to get a waiver? I'm
happy to discuss it further. Thank you."
Sample 5: Complaining About a Noisy Neighbor (Formal)
Prompt:
Your neighbor plays loud music late at night. Speak to the building manager.
Answer:
"Hello, I'd like to report a problem. My neighbor in apartment 5B has been
playing loud music past midnight for the last week. It's affecting my sleep and
work. Could you please talk to them? I'd prefer to resolve this peacefully.
Thank you for your help."
Sample 6: Requesting a Refund
Prompt:
You bought a faulty item online. Call customer service.
Answer:
"Hi, I purchased a blender from your website last week. When it arrived,
it didn't work at all. I'd like to request a refund or a replacement. I have
the order number and photos. Could you tell me what steps I need to take? Thank
you."
Sample 7: Asking for Time Off Work
Prompt:
You need to take a day off for a family emergency. Speak to your manager.
Answer:
"Good morning. I'm sorry for the short notice, but I need to take tomorrow
off. There's a family emergency I have to deal with. I've already finished my
urgent tasks and I'll be reachable by phone. I hope that's okay. Thank you for
understanding."
Sample 8: Inquiring About a Job Position
Prompt:
You saw a job posting. Call the company to ask for details.
Answer:
"Hello, I'm calling about the marketing assistant position posted on your
website. Could you tell me if it's still open? I'd also like to know about the
application deadline and required documents. Thank you. I look forward to
hearing from you."
Sample 9: Apologizing for Missing a Meeting
Prompt:
You missed an important team meeting. Explain to your supervisor.
Answer:
"Good afternoon. I want to apologize for missing the meeting this morning.
I had a medical appointment that ran longer than expected. I've already asked a
colleague for the notes. I'll catch up on everything by today. I'm sorry for
any inconvenience."
Sample 10: Asking a Professor for Clarification
Prompt:
You don't understand the assignment instructions. Ask your professor.
Answer:
"Excuse me, Professor. I have a question about the assignment. I'm not
sure if we need to include a bibliography or just references. Also, is there a
word limit? I want to make sure I do it correctly. Thank you for
clarifying."
💬 INFORMAL SITUATIONS (Friends / Family / Casual)
Sample 11: Declining a Party Invitation
Prompt:
Your friend invited you to a party, but you can't go. Tell them.
Answer:
"Hey, thanks so much for the invite! I'd love to come, but I already
promised my sister I'd help her move that day. I feel bad about missing it. Can
we meet up next week instead? I'll treat you to coffee. Have fun at the
party!"
Sample 12: Borrowing Something from a Friend
Prompt:
You need to borrow your friend's car for a day. Ask them.
Answer:
"Hey, I have a favor to ask. My car's in the shop and I need to drive my
parents to the airport on Saturday. Could I borrow your car just for the day?
I'll fill up the tank and return it by evening. Let me know if that
works."
Sample 13: Apologizing to a Friend
Prompt:
You forgot your friend's birthday. Apologize.
Answer:
"Hey, I'm so sorry I forgot your birthday. I feel terrible. Things have
been crazy lately, but that's no excuse. Let me make it up to you — dinner this
weekend, my treat? I really hope you can forgive me. Happy belated
birthday!"
Sample 14: Inviting a Friend to Dinner
Prompt:
You want to invite your friend over for dinner this weekend.
Answer:
"Hey! I'm cooking dinner this Saturday and I'd love for you to come over.
Nothing fancy — just pasta and maybe a movie after. Are you free? Let me know what
time works for you. It's been ages since we hung out!"
Sample 15: Asking a Friend for Help Moving
Prompt:
You're moving to a new apartment. Ask your friend for help.
Answer:
"Hey, I'm moving to a new place next weekend. Would you be able to help me
out for a few hours? I'll provide pizza and drinks! It's not too much stuff —
mainly boxes and furniture. Let me know if you're free. I'd really appreciate
it."
Sample 16: Canceling Plans with a Friend
Prompt:
You made plans with a friend but need to cancel. Tell them.
Answer:
"Hey, I'm really sorry but I need to cancel our plans for tomorrow.
Something came up at work and I can't get out of it. I feel bad. Can we
reschedule for next week? I'll make it up to you, I promise. Sorry again!"
Sample 17: Congratulating a Friend
Prompt:
Your friend just got a new job. Congratulate them.
Answer:
"Hey, I heard about your new job — congratulations! That's amazing news.
You've worked so hard for this. We should celebrate! Let me know when you're
free and we'll go out for dinner. I'm really happy for you."
Sample 18: Asking a Roommate to Clean Up
Prompt:
Your roommate leaves dirty dishes everywhere. Talk to them.
Answer:
"Hey, can we talk for a second? I've noticed the dishes are piling up in
the sink. It's getting a bit hard to use the kitchen. Could you maybe wash them
after you eat? I'll do my part too. Thanks for understanding."
Sample 19: Asking a Friend to Feed Your Pet
Prompt:
You're going away for a week. Ask your neighbor to feed your cat.
Answer:
"Hi! I'm going away for a week and I was wondering if you could help me
out. Could you feed my cat while I'm gone? I'll leave food and instructions.
It's just twice a day. I'd really appreciate it — I'll bring you something
back!"
Sample 20: Telling a Friend About a Problem
Prompt:
You're stressed about exams. Talk to your friend.
Answer:
"Hey, I've been really stressed lately. I have three exams next week and I
don't feel prepared at all. I've been studying non-stop but it's overwhelming.
Do you have any tips? Maybe we can study together sometime. That might help."
PTE
"Respond to a Situation" – 30 More Sample Sets
Here
are 30 additional prompts with simple, natural answers. Each is designed to be
spoken in 30–40 seconds.
🎓 FORMAL SITUATIONS (Academic / Professional)
Set 1: Asking for a Deadline Extension (Group Project)
Prompt:
Your group project is due next week, but your group members are not responding.
Talk to your professor.
Answer:
"Good morning, Professor. I want to talk about our group project due next
week. Unfortunately, my group members haven't been responding to messages, so
I've been doing most of the work alone. Would it be possible to get a short
extension? I want to make sure the project is done properly. Thank you for your
understanding."
Set 2: Requesting a Reference Letter for a Job
Prompt:
You are applying for a job and need a reference from your former supervisor.
Answer:
"Hello, I hope you're doing well. I'm applying for a new job and they've
asked for a reference. Would you be willing to be my reference? The position is
in marketing, similar to what I did with you. I can send you the job details.
Thank you so much for your time."
Set 3: Reporting a Broken Facility
Prompt:
The classroom projector is not working. Speak to the IT department.
Answer:
"Hi, I'd like to report a problem. The projector in Room 204 isn't
working. We tried restarting it but the screen stays black. We have a
presentation this afternoon, so it's quite urgent. Could someone come and check
it? Thank you."
Set 4: Asking About Scholarship Eligibility
Prompt:
You want to know if you qualify for a scholarship. Speak to the financial aid
office.
Answer:
"Good afternoon. I'm interested in applying for the merit scholarship.
Could you tell me about the eligibility requirements? I have a GPA of 3.7 and
I'm involved in two clubs. I'd like to know if I qualify and what documents I
need. Thank you for your help."
Set 5: Complaining About a Late Delivery
Prompt:
Your online order is two weeks late. Call the company.
Answer:
"Hello, I'm calling about order number 45892. I placed it two weeks ago
and it still hasn't arrived. The tracking says it's delayed but there's no
update. Could you check what's happening? I'd like either a refund or a
replacement. Thank you."
Set 6: Requesting a Schedule Change
Prompt:
Your work shift conflicts with your class. Talk to your manager.
Answer:
"Good morning. I need to talk about my work schedule. My Tuesday shift
conflicts with an important class this semester. Would it be possible to change
my shift to another day? I'm flexible — any other day works. I hope we can work
something out. Thank you."
Set 7: Asking for Feedback on an Assignment
Prompt:
You got a low grade and want to understand why. Talk to your professor.
Answer:
"Hello, Professor. I'd like to talk about my assignment grade. I was a bit
surprised because I put a lot of effort in. Could you explain where I lost
marks? I'd really like to improve for next time. Thank you for your time."
Set 8: Reporting a Safety Issue
Prompt:
You noticed a broken staircase in your building. Report it to the landlord.
Answer:
"Hello, I'd like to report a safety issue. The staircase near the main
entrance has a broken step. Someone could easily trip and fall. Could you
please get it fixed soon? I'd appreciate it if you could let me know when it's
done. Thank you."
Set 9: Apologizing for a Late Submission
Prompt:
You submitted your assignment late. Explain to your professor.
Answer:
"Good morning, Professor. I want to apologize for submitting my assignment
late. I had a family emergency and couldn't finish it on time. I know it's not
an excuse, but I hope you can still accept it. I'll make sure it doesn't happen
again. Thank you for understanding."
Set 10: Asking for a Doctor's Appointment
Prompt:
You need to see a doctor but the clinic is fully booked. Call the receptionist.
Answer:
"Hello, I'd like to book an appointment with the doctor. I've had a bad
headache for three days and it's getting worse. I know you're fully booked, but
is there any cancellation or emergency slot? I'd really appreciate it. Thank
you."
Set 11: Requesting a Transcript
Prompt:
You need your academic transcript for a job application. Contact the
registrar's office.
Answer:
"Good afternoon. I need to request my official academic transcript for a
job application. Could you tell me the process and how long it takes? I need it
within two weeks. Is there a fee? I'd appreciate any information you can give
me. Thank you."
Set 12: Asking About Internship Opportunities
Prompt:
You want to intern at a company. Call their HR department.
Answer:
"Hello, I'm calling to ask about internship opportunities. I'm a
third-year student in computer science. Do you have any openings for summer
internships? If so, could you tell me how to apply and what the deadline is?
Thank you for your time."
Set 13: Complaining About a Noisy Construction Site
Prompt:
Construction near your apartment starts at 6 AM. Call the city office.
Answer:
"Hello, I'd like to make a complaint. There's construction near my
apartment that starts at 6 AM every day. It's way too early and it's disturbing
my sleep. Is there a noise regulation you can enforce? I'd appreciate your
help. Thank you."
Set 14: Asking for a Payment Extension
Prompt:
You can't pay your tuition on time. Talk to the finance office.
Answer:
"Good morning. I'd like to discuss my tuition payment. I'm having some
financial difficulties this semester and I can't pay by the deadline. Would it
be possible to get an extension or set up a payment plan? I want to make sure I
stay enrolled. Thank you."
Set 15: Requesting a Room Change
Prompt:
Your dorm roommate is very messy. Talk to the housing office.
Answer:
"Hello, I'd like to request a room change. My current roommate is very
messy and it's affecting my studies. I've tried talking to them but nothing
changed. Would it be possible to move to another room? I'm happy to wait if
needed. Thank you."
💬 INFORMAL SITUATIONS (Friends / Family / Casual)
Set 16: Asking a Friend to Pick You Up
Prompt:
Your car broke down. Ask your friend for a ride.
Answer:
"Hey, I'm in a bit of a situation. My car broke down on the highway and
I'm stuck. Could you pick me up? I'm about 20 minutes away. I'll buy you dinner
as a thank you. Let me know if you can make it. Thanks so much!"
Set 17: Inviting a Friend to a Movie
Prompt:
You want to watch a new movie with your friend this weekend.
Answer:
"Hey! There's a new movie out this weekend that looks really good. Want to
go see it together? Maybe Saturday afternoon? Let me know what time works for
you. It's been a while since we hung out. Hope you can make it!"
Set 18: Apologizing for Being Late
Prompt:
You arrived 30 minutes late to meet your friend. Apologize.
Answer:
"Hey, I'm so sorry I'm late. The bus was delayed and then I couldn't find
parking. I feel bad for making you wait. Let me buy you a coffee to make up for
it. Thanks for being patient with me. It won't happen again."
Set 19: Asking to Borrow Money
Prompt:
You need to borrow some money from a close friend.
Answer:
"Hey, I hate to ask this, but could I borrow some money? I'm short on rent
this month because of an unexpected bill. I'll pay you back next paycheck, I
promise. I totally understand if you can't. Let me know. Thanks."
Set 20: Telling a Friend About Good News
Prompt:
You passed an important exam. Tell your friend.
Answer:
"Hey, guess what? I passed my exam! I'm so relieved. I was really worried
about it. We should celebrate — maybe dinner this weekend? Thanks for all your
support. I really appreciate it. Let's catch up soon!"
Set 21: Asking a Friend to Help with Studying
Prompt:
You have a difficult exam coming up. Ask your friend to study with you.
Answer:
"Hey, I have a really hard exam next week. Would you be up for studying
together? It might help to go over the material with someone. Maybe at the
library on Wednesday? Let me know if you're free. Thanks!"
Set 22: Canceling a Dinner Reservation
Prompt:
You booked a restaurant but your friend got sick. Call the restaurant.
Answer:
"Hi, I have a reservation for tonight at 7 under the name Alex.
Unfortunately, my friend is sick so we need to cancel. I'm really sorry for the
short notice. Could we maybe reschedule for next week? Thank you for
understanding."
Set 23: Asking a Neighbor to Turn Down Music
Prompt:
Your neighbor's music is too loud. Talk to them politely.
Answer:
"Hi, I'm sorry to bother you. The music is a bit loud and I have an early
morning tomorrow. Would you mind turning it down a little? I'd really
appreciate it. Thanks for understanding. Have a good night!"
Set 24: Inviting Family to a Graduation
Prompt:
You're graduating soon. Invite your family.
Answer:
"Hi everyone! I wanted to let you know my graduation ceremony is next
month. I'd love for you all to come. It's on Saturday at 10 AM. Let me know if
you can make it so I can get enough tickets. I hope to see you there!"
Set 25: Asking a Friend to Dog-Sit
Prompt:
You're going on vacation. Ask your friend to watch your dog.
Answer:
"Hey, I'm going on vacation next month and I need someone to watch my dog.
Would you be able to help? He's really easy — just needs food and walks. I'll
leave everything you need. Let me know if you're free. I'd really appreciate
it!"
Set 26: Telling a Friend You Can't Afford a Trip
Prompt:
Your friends want to go on an expensive trip. Tell them you can't afford it.
Answer:
"Hey, I'd love to come on the trip, but honestly, it's too expensive for
me right now. I'm trying to save money. Maybe we can do something cheaper
instead? Or I could join next time. I hope you understand. Have fun
though!"
Set 27: Congratulating a Friend on Graduation
Prompt:
Your friend just graduated. Congratulate them.
Answer:
"Hey, congratulations on graduating! That's such a big achievement. I'm so
proud of you. All those late nights paid off. We definitely need to celebrate.
Let me know when you're free — dinner's on me. Well done!"
Set 28: Asking a Friend to Return Borrowed Items
Prompt:
Your friend borrowed your books months ago. Ask for them back.
Answer:
"Hey, I hope you're doing well. I was wondering if you still have those
books I lent you a few months ago. I need them for a project. Could you bring
them next time we meet? No rush, but let me know. Thanks!"
Set 29: Apologizing for Canceling Last Minute
Prompt:
You canceled plans with a friend an hour before. Apologize.
Answer:
"Hey, I'm really sorry for canceling last minute. Something urgent came up
and I can't make it. I feel terrible. Can we reschedule for next week? I'll
make it up to you, I promise. Thanks for understanding. Sorry again!"
Set 30: Asking a Friend for Advice
Prompt:
You're thinking of changing your major. Ask a friend for advice.
Answer:
"Hey, can I get your advice on something? I'm thinking about changing my
major. I'm not sure if it's the right decision. What do you think? You know me
well. I'd really appreciate your honest opinion. Let me know when you're free
to talk."
No comments:
Post a Comment