Day 3 PTE "Respond to a Situation" – 40 More Sample Sets
Here
are 40 additional prompts with simple, natural answers. Each is designed to be
spoken in 30–40 seconds.
🎓 FORMAL SITUATIONS (Academic / Professional)
Set 1: Asking for a Lab Safety Exemption
Prompt:
You need to use the lab after hours for research. Talk to the lab manager.
Answer:
"Good morning. I'm working on a research project and I need to use the lab
after hours. Would it be possible to get special access? I've completed all the
safety training. I'd only need access for two weeks. Could you let me know what
I need to do? Thank you."
Set 2: Reporting Plagiarism
Prompt:
You suspect a classmate copied your work. Talk to your professor.
Answer:
"Hello, Professor. I need to talk about something serious. I think a
classmate copied part of my assignment. I noticed similar sentences and
structure. I don't want to accuse anyone unfairly, but I thought you should
know. Could you look into it? Thank you."
Set 3: Requesting a Course Withdrawal
Prompt:
You want to drop a course after the deadline. Talk to the academic advisor.
Answer:
"Good afternoon. I'd like to withdraw from my economics course. I know the
deadline has passed, but I've been struggling and it's affecting my other
grades. Is there any way to still drop it? I'd appreciate any options you can
offer. Thank you."
Set 4: Asking for Accommodation for a Disability
Prompt:
You need extra exam time due to a learning disability. Talk to student
services.
Answer:
"Hello, I'd like to request exam accommodations. I have a documented
learning disability and I need extra time on tests. Could you tell me the
process? I have my medical documents ready. I'd appreciate your help. Thank
you."
Set 5: Complaining About Unfair Grading
Prompt:
You believe your essay was graded unfairly. Talk to your professor.
Answer:
"Good morning, Professor. I'd like to discuss my essay grade. I followed
all the requirements and I'm not sure why I lost so many points. Could you
explain the feedback? I'm not asking for a higher grade — I just want to
understand. Thank you."
Set 6: Requesting a Letter for Visa Application
Prompt:
You need an enrollment letter for a visa. Contact the international office.
Answer:
"Hello, I need an enrollment letter for my student visa application. Could
you tell me how to request one? I need it within a week. Is there a form I
should fill out? I'd appreciate any information. Thank you for your time."
Set 7: Reporting a Lost Student ID
Prompt:
You lost your student ID card. Talk to the campus card office.
Answer:
"Hi, I lost my student ID card yesterday. I think I left it in the
cafeteria. Could I get a replacement? What's the process and is there a fee? I
need it to access the library and dorm. Thank you for your help."
Set 8: Asking About Study Abroad Programs
Prompt:
You're interested in studying abroad. Talk to the study abroad advisor.
Answer:
"Good afternoon. I'm interested in studying abroad next year. Could you
tell me about the available programs? I'm particularly interested in Europe.
What are the requirements and deadlines? I'd love to get more information.
Thank you."
Set 9: Requesting a Deadline Extension for Medical
Reasons
Prompt:
You had surgery and need more time for your thesis. Talk to your supervisor.
Answer:
"Good morning. I need to talk about my thesis deadline. I had surgery last
week and recovery is taking longer than expected. Would it be possible to get
an extension? Maybe one month? I have medical documents. Thank you for
understanding."
Set 10: Complaining About a Professor's Behavior
Prompt:
A professor is often late and unprepared. Talk to the department head.
Answer:
"Hello, I'd like to raise a concern about one of my classes. The professor
is often 15 minutes late and seems unprepared. It's affecting our learning. I
don't want to cause trouble, but I thought you should know. Could you look into
it? Thank you."
Set 11: Asking for a Tutor
Prompt:
You're struggling in math. Talk to the academic support center.
Answer:
"Hello, I need help with my math course. I'm falling behind and I think I
need a tutor. Do you offer tutoring services? How do I sign up? I'm available
on weekday afternoons. I'd really appreciate your help. Thank you."
Set 12: Requesting a Fee Waiver
Prompt:
You can't afford the gym membership fee. Talk to the recreation center.
Answer:
"Good morning. I'd like to use the gym but I can't afford the membership
fee. Do you offer any fee waivers or discounts for students in financial need?
I'd be happy to provide documents. I'd appreciate any options. Thank you."
Set 13: Reporting a Data Error
Prompt:
Your transcript shows the wrong grade. Contact the registrar.
Answer:
"Hello, I noticed an error on my transcript. My biology grade shows a C,
but I actually received a B. Could you please correct this? I have my graded
exam as proof. This is urgent because I'm applying for jobs. Thank you."
Set 14: Asking About Graduation Requirements
Prompt:
You're unsure if you've met all requirements. Talk to your advisor.
Answer:
"Good afternoon. I want to make sure I've met all my graduation
requirements. Could we review my transcript together? I want to confirm I have
enough credits and the right courses. I'm planning to graduate next semester.
Thank you."
Set 15: Requesting Parking Permit
Prompt:
You need a campus parking permit. Talk to the parking office.
Answer:
"Hello, I'd like to apply for a campus parking permit. Could you tell me
the process and the cost? I'm a commuter student and I need to drive to campus.
Is there a waiting list? I'd appreciate any information. Thank you."
Set 16: Complaining About Library Noise
Prompt:
People are talking loudly in the library. Talk to the librarian.
Answer:
"Excuse me, I'd like to report a noise issue. There's a group talking
loudly on the second floor. It's hard to concentrate. Could you ask them to be
quiet or move to a group study room? I'd really appreciate it. Thank you."
Set 17: Asking for an Interview Opportunity
Prompt:
You want to interview a professor for a project. Ask them.
Answer:
"Good morning, Professor. I'm working on a research project about climate
policy. Would you be available for a short interview? It would take about 20
minutes. I can come to your office anytime. I'd really appreciate your
insights. Thank you."
Set 18: Reporting a Broken Elevator
Prompt:
The dorm elevator is stuck. Call maintenance.
Answer:
"Hello, I'd like to report a problem. The elevator in Building C is stuck
between floors. No one is inside, but it's been like that for an hour. Could
you send someone to fix it? It's the only elevator here. Thank you."
Set 19: Asking About Payment Plans
Prompt:
You can't pay full tuition at once. Talk to the bursar's office.
Answer:
"Good afternoon. I'd like to ask about payment plans. I can't pay my full
tuition at once. Do you offer installment options? I'd like to pay monthly if
possible. Could you explain how it works? Thank you for your help."
Set 20: Requesting a Copy of Lecture Notes
Prompt:
You missed a lecture due to illness. Ask your professor for notes.
Answer:
"Hello, Professor. I missed class yesterday because I was sick. Could you
share the lecture notes or slides? I want to stay caught up. I've already asked
a classmate, but I'd like to make sure I have everything. Thank you."
💼 PROFESSIONAL / WORKPLACE SITUATIONS
Set 21: Asking for a Raise
Prompt:
You've been working hard and want a salary increase. Talk to your boss.
Answer:
"Good morning. I'd like to discuss my salary. I've been in this role for
two years and I've taken on more responsibilities. I believe my contributions
justify a raise. Could we set up a meeting to talk about it? Thank you for
considering."
Set 22: Reporting a Colleague's Misconduct
Prompt:
A coworker is always late and leaving early. Talk to HR.
Answer:
"Hello, I'd like to report a concern about a colleague. They frequently
arrive late and leave early, which affects our team's work. I've tried talking
to them but nothing changed. Could you address this? I'd prefer to remain
anonymous. Thank you."
Set 23: Requesting Flexible Working Hours
Prompt:
You want to start work earlier and leave earlier. Talk to your manager.
Answer:
"Good morning. I'd like to ask about flexible working hours. Could I start
at 7 AM and leave at 3 PM instead? I have a family commitment in the
afternoons. I'll still complete all my work. Would that be possible? Thank
you."
Set 24: Asking for Training Opportunities
Prompt:
You want your company to pay for a course. Talk to your manager.
Answer:
"Hello, I'd like to discuss professional development. There's a data
analysis course that would help my work. Would the company be willing to
sponsor it? I'm happy to share what I learn with the team. I'd appreciate your
support. Thank you."
Set 25: Complaining About Unfair Shift Allocation
Prompt:
You always get weekend shifts. Talk to your supervisor.
Answer:
"Good morning. I'd like to talk about shift allocation. I've been getting
weekend shifts every week for the past two months. It's affecting my personal
life. Could we make the schedule more balanced? I'm happy to discuss options.
Thank you."
Set 26: Requesting a Transfer
Prompt:
You want to transfer to another department. Talk to HR.
Answer:
"Hello, I'd like to request a department transfer. I've been in sales for
three years and I'm interested in the marketing team. Could you tell me the
process? I believe my skills would be a good fit. I'd appreciate your guidance.
Thank you."
Set 27: Asking for Feedback from Your Manager
Prompt:
You want to know how you can improve at work. Talk to your boss.
Answer:
"Good afternoon. I'd like to get some feedback on my performance. I want
to grow in this role. Are there areas I should improve? I'm open to honest
feedback. Could we schedule a quick meeting? Thank you for your time."
Set 28: Reporting a Safety Hazard
Prompt:
The office kitchen has a broken outlet. Report it.
Answer:
"Hello, I'd like to report a safety hazard. The outlet in the office
kitchen is broken and sparking. It could be dangerous. Could you get someone to
fix it? I've put a sign on it for now. Thank you for your help."
Set 29: Asking for a Letter of Employment
Prompt:
You need proof of employment for a loan. Talk to HR.
Answer:
"Good morning. I need a letter of employment for a bank loan application.
Could you prepare one for me? It should state my position, salary, and start date.
I need it by Friday. I'd appreciate your help. Thank you."
Set 30: Complaining About Office Temperature
Prompt:
The office is too cold. Talk to facilities management.
Answer:
"Hello, I'd like to report a problem. Our office is extremely cold — the
air conditioning is too strong. Several of us are uncomfortable. Could you
adjust the temperature? We'd really appreciate it. Thank you."
💬 INFORMAL SITUATIONS (Friends / Family / Casual)
Set 31: Asking a Friend to Water Plants
Prompt:
You're going away. Ask your friend to water your plants.
Answer:
"Hey, I'm going away for two weeks. Could you water my plants while I'm
gone? It's just a few pots — once every three days. I'll leave a key with you.
I'd really appreciate it. Let me know if you can. Thanks!"
Set 32: Inviting a Friend to a Concert
Prompt:
You have an extra concert ticket. Invite your friend.
Answer:
"Hey! I have an extra ticket to a concert this Friday. Want to come with
me? The band is really good. Let me know soon so I can plan. It'll be fun! Hope
you can make it. Let me know!"
Set 33: Apologizing for Not Replying
Prompt:
You forgot to reply to your friend's message. Apologize.
Answer:
"Hey, I'm so sorry I didn't reply to your message. I read it and then
completely forgot. Things have been crazy. I feel bad. Can we catch up soon? I
want to hear everything. Sorry again!"
Set 34: Asking a Friend to Recommend a Doctor
Prompt:
You need a good doctor. Ask your friend for a recommendation.
Answer:
"Hey, do you know a good doctor? I've been feeling unwell and I need to
see someone. You mentioned yours was good — could you share the details? I'd
really appreciate it. Let me know. Thanks!"
Set 35: Telling a Friend You're Moving
Prompt:
You're moving to another city. Tell your friend.
Answer:
"Hey, I have some news. I'm moving to Chicago next month for a new job.
I'm excited but also sad to leave. We should definitely hang out before I go.
Let me know when you're free. I'll miss you!"
Set 36: Asking a Friend to Help with a Resume
Prompt:
You need help writing your resume. Ask your friend.
Answer:
"Hey, could you help me with my resume? I'm applying for jobs and I want
it to look good. You're really good at this stuff. Maybe we can meet this
weekend? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks so much!"
Set 37: Inviting a Friend to a Housewarming
Prompt:
You just moved into a new place. Invite your friend.
Answer:
"Hey! I just moved into a new apartment. I'm having a small housewarming
this Saturday. Would you like to come? Just snacks and drinks. Let me know if
you're free. It'd be great to see you. Hope you can make it!"
Set 38: Asking a Friend to Return Money
Prompt:
Your friend borrowed money and hasn't paid you back. Ask them.
Answer:
"Hey, I hope you're doing well. I was wondering about the money I lent you
last month. I kind of need it back now for some bills. No rush, but could you
pay me back soon? Let me know. Thanks!"
Set 39: Telling a Friend About a Problem
Prompt:
You're having trouble with your roommate. Talk to your friend.
Answer:
"Hey, I need to vent. My roommate is driving me crazy. They never clean
and they're loud at night. I've tried talking but nothing works. What should I
do? I'd appreciate your advice. Let me know when you're free."
Set 40: Asking a Friend to Be a Reference
Prompt:
You need a personal reference for an apartment. Ask your friend.
Answer:
"Hey, I'm applying for an apartment and they need a personal reference.
Would you be willing to be one? They might call you just to confirm I'm a good
tenant. Let me know if that's okay. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!"
No comments:
Post a Comment