Wednesday, 2 September 2026

Use of is, am, and are in English

 Use of is, am, and are in English

Use of is, am, and are in English, it helps to know they are all forms of the verb "to be." In Nepali, they generally translate to "हो" (ho), "" (cha), "हुन्" (hun)," or "हुँ" (hu~) depending on the subject and tense.

Here is a complete, topic-by-topic guide with English and Nepali meanings.


The Golden Rule (Subject-Verb Agreement)

  • I = am ( = हुँ / छु)
  • He / She / It / Singular Nouns = is ( / त्यो / यो = हो / )
  • You / We / They / Plural Nouns = are (तिमी / हामी / उनीहरू = हौ / हुन् / छन्)

Topic 1: Introductions (Name, Age, Profession) – परिचय

Rule: Use am for yourself, is for one person, and are for multiple people or "you."

English Nepali Meaning

I am Ram.

राम हुँ (Ma Ram hu~)

She is a teacher.

उनी शिक्षिका हुन् (Uni shikshika hun.)

You are a student.

तिमी विद्यार्थी हौ (Timī vidyārthī hau.)

They are doctors.

उनीहरू डाक्टर हुन् (Unīharū ḍākṭar hun.)

He is 25 years old.

२५ वर्षको हो (U 25 barsha ko ho.)


Topic 2: Describing Feelings and States (Health, Mood) – भावना अवस्था

Rule: Use these to describe how someone feels right now.

EnglishNepali Meaning

I am happy.

खुसी छु (Ma khusi chu.)

She is tired.

उनी थाकेकी छिन् (Uni thākeki chin.) [Female]

He is hungry.

भोको (U bhoko cha.)

We are excited.

हामी उत्साहित छौं (Hāmī utsāhita chhau~)

You are wrong.

तिमी गलत छौ (Timī galat chhau.)


Topic 3: Location (Where things are) – स्थान

Rule: Use these to tell where a person or object is.

English Nepali Meaning

I am at home.

घरमा छु (Ma ghar-mā chu.)

The book is on the table.

किताब टेबलमा (Kitāb ṭebal-mā cha.)

The keys are in the bag.

साँचोहरू झोलामा छन् (Sānchoharū jholā-mā chan.)

We are in the park.

हामी पार्कमा छौं (Hāmī pārk-mā chhau~)

Nepal is between China and India.

नेपाल चीन भारतको बीचमा (Nepāl Chīn ra Bhāratko bīch-mā cha.)


Topic 4: Describing Characteristics (Physical/Personality) – विशेषता

Rule: Use these for permanent or general traits.

English Nepali Meaning

I am tall.

अग्लो छु (Ma aglo chu.)

The elephant is big.

हात्ती ठूलो हो (Hāttī ṭhūlo ho.)

Roses are beautiful.

गुलाफ सुन्दर हुन् (Gulāph sundar hun.)

He is kind.

दयालु (U dayālu cha.)

They are very smart.

उनीहरू धेरै बुद्धिमान् छन् (Unīharū dherai buddhimān chan.)


Topic 5: Weather and Time – मौसम समय

Rule: Use "It is" for weather and time (Always singular).

English Nepali Meaning

It is cold today.

आज जाडो (Ājā jāḍo cha.)

It is raining.

पानी परिरहेको (Pānī pariraheko cha.)

It is 5 o'clock.

बजेको बजेको (Bajeko 5 bajeko cha.)

It is a sunny day.

घाम लागेको दिन हो (Ghām lāgeko din ho.)


Topic 6: Present Continuous Tense (Actions happening NOW) – अहिले भइरहेको काम

Rule: Use is/am/are + Verb + -ing.
(Note: In Nepali, we use "
रहेको" + /छु/छन्).

English Nepali Meaning

I am reading a book.

किताब पढिरहेको छु (Ma kitāb paḍhirāheko chu.)

She is cooking food.

उनी खाना पकाउँदै छिन् (Uni khānā pakāundai chin.)

They are playing football.

उनीहरू फुटबल खेलिरहेका छन् (Unīharū phuṭbal khelirāhekā chan.)

The baby is sleeping.

बच्चा सुतिरहेको (Bachchā sutirāheko cha.)

We are studying Nepali.

हामी नेपाली पढिरहेका छौं (Hāmī Nepālī paḍhirāhekā chhau~)


Topic 7: Asking Questions (Interrogative) – प्रश्न

Rule: Put the verb at the beginning of the sentence.

English Nepali Meaning

Are you okay?

तिमी ठीक छौ? (Timī ṭhīk chhau?)

Is he your brother?

तिम्रो दाजु हो? (U timro dāju ho?)

Am I late?

ढिलो छु? (Ma ḍhilo chu?)

Are they coming?

उनीहरू आउँदै छन्? (Unīharū āundai chan?)

Is it expensive?

यो महँगो ? (Yo mahango cha?)


Topic 8: Short Answers (Yes/No) – छोटो उत्तर

English Nepali Meaning

Yes, I am. / No, I am not.

हो, हुँ / होइन, होइन

Yes, she is. / No, she is not (isn't).

हो, उनी हुन् / होइन, उनी होइनन्

Yes, we are. / No, we are not (aren't).

हो, हामी हौं / होइन, हामी होइनौं

Yes, they are.

हो, उनीहरू हुन्


Summary Chart for Quick Revision

Subject (विषय)Verb (सहायक क्रिया)Nepali Equivalent (हो/)Example

I

am

हुँ / छु

I am a boy. ( केटा हुँ।)

He / She / It

is

हो / / हुन्

She is beautiful. (उनी सुन्दर हुन्।)

You (Singular/Plural)

are

हौ / हुनुहुन्छ

You are kind. (तिमी दयालु हौ।)

We

are

हौं / छौं

We are friends. (हामी साथी हौं।)

They

are

हुन् / छन्

They are students. (उनीहरू विद्यार्थी हुन्।)

 

Set 1: Daily Routines & Habits (दैनिक दिनचर्या)

#EnglishNepali Meaning

1

I am always late for school.

सधैं स्कूलको लागि ढिलो हुँ

2

He is an early riser.

चाँडै उठ्ने मान्छे हो

3

They are vegetarian.

उनीहरू शाकाहारी हुन्

4

We are not lazy.

हामी अल्छी होइनौं

5

She is a morning person.

उनी बिहानै उठ्ने मान्छे हुन्

6

You are very punctual.

तिमी धेरै समय पालन गर्ने हौ

7

I am tired after work.

काम पछि थकित छु

8

Coffee is my favorite drink.

कफी मेरो मनपर्ने पेय हो

9

Dogs are loyal animals.

कुकुर वफादार जनावर हुन्

10

My parents are farmers.

मेरा आमाबुबा किसान हुनुहुन्छ


Set 2: Describing People & Appearance (मानिसको वर्णन)

#EnglishNepali Meaning

11

My sister is very tall.

मेरी बहिनी धेरै अग्ली छिन्

12

I am short compared to him.

उसको तुलनामा होचो छु

13

You are looking great today.

तिमी आज धेरै राम्रो देखिन्छौ

14

Her eyes are beautiful.

उनका आँखा सुन्दर छन्

15

My father is bald.

मेरो बुबा टाउको खौरिएको हुनुहुन्छ

16

They are both engineers.

उनीहरू दुवै इन्जिनियर हुन्

17

He is very strong.

धेरै बलियो

18

We are all Nepali.

हामी सबै नेपाली हौं

19

That girl is my cousin.

त्यो केटी मेरी काकी बहिनी हो

20

The children are playful.

बच्चाहरू खेलाडी छन्


Set 3: Food & Taste (खाना स्वाद)

#EnglishNepali Meaning

21

This food is delicious.

यो खाना स्वादिष्ट

22

Momos are my favorite.

मोमो मेरो मनपर्ने हो

23

The soup is too salty.

सूप धेरै नुनिलो

24

I am not hungry right now.

अहिले भोको छैन

25

Apples are good for health.

स्याउ स्वास्थ्यको लागि राम्रो हो

26

The milk is fresh.

दूध ताजा

27

You are a good cook.

तिमी राम्रो पकवान बनाउने हौ

28

We are ready to eat.

हामी खानको लागि तयार छौं

29

Tea is hot.

चिया तातो

30

These fruits are expensive.

यी फलफूल महँगा छन्


Set 4: Home & Family (घर परिवार)

#EnglishNepali Meaning

31

My room is clean.

मेरो कोठा सफा

32

We are a happy family.

हामी खुसी परिवार हौं

33

The door is locked.

ढोका बन्द

34

I am at home now.

अहिले घरमा छु

35

Our neighbors are friendly.

हाम्रा छिमेकी मिलनसार हुनुहुन्छ

36

The kitchen is small.

भान्सा सानो

37

Your clothes are in the cupboard.

तिम्रा लुगाहरू अलमारीमा छन्

38

My grandmother is 80 years old.

मेरी हजुरआमा ८० वर्षको हुनुहुन्छ

39

The children are at school.

बच्चाहरू स्कूलमा छन्

40

This house is very old.

यो घर धेरै पुरानो हो


Set 5: Work, Study & Skills (काम, पढाइ सीप)

#EnglishNepali Meaning

41

I am a software developer.

सफ्टवेयर विकासकर्ता हुँ

42

She is good at math.

उनी गणितमा राम्रो छिन्

43

We are learning English.

हामी अंग्रेजी सिक्दै छौं

44

Your answers are correct.

तिम्रा उत्तरहरू सही छन्

45

This exercise is difficult.

यो अभ्यास गाह्रो

46

They are very hardworking.

उनीहरू धेरै मेहनती छन्

47

I am not ready for the exam.

परीक्षाको लागि तयार छैन

48

The teacher is in the classroom.

शिक्षक कक्षाकोठामा हुनुहुन्छ

49

You are right about that.

तिमी त्यस बारेमा सही हौ

50

Our projects are almost finished.

हाम्रा प्रोजेक्टहरू लगभग सकिएका छन्


🔥 Extra Bonus: Common Mistakes to Avoid

Wrong (गलत)Right (सही)Nepali

He are a student.

He is a student.

विद्यार्थी हो

I is happy.

I am happy.

खुसी छु

They is coming.

They are coming.

उनीहरू आउँदै छन्

You is my friend.

You are my friend.

तिमी मेरो साथी हौ

We is going.

We are going.

हामी जाँदै छौं


📝 Quick Summary for Revision

Subject Verb Short Form (Contraction)

I

am

I'm

He / She / It

is

He's / She's / It's

You / We / They

are

You're / We're / They're

 

60 fill-in-the-blank exercises using is, am, and are.

The options are given in brackets for each sentence. Answers with short reasons are provided at the very end (after a clear divider), so you can test yourself first!


Exercise Set 1: Basic Subjects (Singular & Plural)

1.      I __________ a student. (is / am / are)

2.      She __________ my best friend. (is / am / are)

3.      They __________ very kind people. (is / am / are)

4.      We __________ going to the market. (is / am / are)

5.      He __________ a famous singer. (is / am / are)

6.      You __________ looking very nice today. (is / am / are)

7.      It __________ a beautiful day. (is / am / are)

8.      My parents __________ at home. (is / am / are)

9.      The cat __________ sleeping on the bed. (is / am / are)

10. I __________ not feeling well. (is / am / are)


Exercise Set 2: Occupations & Identities

11. My brother __________ a doctor. (is / am / are)

12. We __________ all Nepali citizens. (is / am / are)

13. She __________ an engineer. (is / am / are)

14. They __________ farmers. (is / am / are)

15. I __________ a teacher at this school. (is / am / are)

16. You __________ my only hope. (is / am / are)

17. These men __________ police officers. (is / am / are)

18. That woman __________ a famous writer. (is / am / are)

19. We __________ not lazy workers. (is / am / are)

20. He __________ the captain of the team. (is / am / are)


Exercise Set 3: Describing Feelings & States

21. I __________ very happy today. (is / am / are)

22. She __________ worried about the exam. (is / am / are)

23. They __________ excited about the trip. (is / am / are)

24. He __________ tired after work. (is / am / are)

25. We __________ hungry now. (is / am / are)

26. You __________ so brave. (is / am / are)

27. The baby __________ sleepy. (is / am / are)

28. I __________ not angry at you. (is / am / are)

29. The children __________ scared of the dark. (is / am / are)

30. My mother __________ proud of me. (is / am / are)


Exercise Set 4: Location & Places

31. The books __________ on the table. (is / am / are)

32. I __________ at the bus stop. (is / am / are)

33. Kathmandu __________ the capital of Nepal. (is / am / are)

34. They __________ in the garden. (is / am / are)

35. We __________ at the cinema hall. (is / am / are)

36. The keys __________ in my pocket. (is / am / are)

37. He __________ in his room right now. (is / am / are)

38. The school __________ near the temple. (is / am / are)

39. You __________ at the wrong place. (is / am / are)

40. The flowers __________ in the vase. (is / am / are)


Exercise Set 5: Present Continuous (Actions happening NOW)

41. I __________ reading a newspaper. (is / am / are)

42. She __________ cooking dinner. (is / am / are)

43. They __________ playing cricket. (is / am / are)

44. We __________ watching a movie. (is / am / are)

45. He __________ writing a letter. (is / am / are)

46. You __________ talking too loudly. (is / am / are)

47. The dog __________ barking at the stranger. (is / am / are)

48. The girls __________ dancing beautifully. (is / am / are)

49. I __________ learning Nepali language. (is / am / are)

50. It __________ raining outside. (is / am / are)


Exercise Set 6: Weather, Time, & General Facts

51. It __________ very cold in winter. (is / am / are)

52. We __________ late for the meeting. (is / am / are)

53. The sun __________ a star. (is / am / are)

54. They __________ not at home right now. (is / am / are)

55. Today __________ Monday. (is / am / are)

56. I __________ not interested in that offer. (is / am / are)

57. These mangoes __________ sweet. (is / am / are)

58. The water __________ too hot to drink. (is / am / are)

59. You __________ the best person for this job. (is / am / are)

60. My shoes __________ very dirty. (is / am / are)


🛑 STOP HERE! TRY TO ANSWER ALL 60 FIRST.

ANSWERS ARE GIVEN BELOW.



✅ ANSWER KEY WITH SHORT REASONS

#AnswerShort Reason (Nepali/English)

1

am

"I" सँग सधैं am प्रयोग हुन्छ।

2

is

"She" एकल (singular) हो, त्यसैले is

3

are

"They" बहुवचन (plural) हो, त्यसैले are

4

are

"We" बहुवचन हो, are प्रयोग हुन्छ।

5

is

"He" एकल हो, is प्रयोग हुन्छ।

6

are

"You" सँग सधैं are प्रयोग हुन्छ।

7

is

"It" एकल हो, is प्रयोग हुन्छ।

8

are

"Parents" बहुवचन हो, are

9

is

"Cat" एकल (singular) हो, is

10

am

"I" सँग am

11

is

"Brother" एकल हो, is

12

are

"We" बहुवचन हो, are

13

is

"She" एकल हो, is

14

are

"They" बहुवचन हो, are

15

am

"I" सँग am

16

are

"You" सँग are

17

are

"Men" (men = plural of man), त्यसैले are

18

is

"Woman" एकल हो, is

19

are

"We" बहुवचन हो, are

20

is

"He" एकल हो, is

21

am

"I" सँग am

22

is

"She" एकल हो, is

23

are

"They" बहुवचन हो, are

24

is

"He" एकल हो, is

25

are

"We" बहुवचन हो, are

26

are

"You" सँग are

27

is

"Baby" एकल हो, is

28

am

"I" सँग am

29

are

"Children" (children = plural), are

30

is

"Mother" एकल हो, is

31

are

"Books" बहुवचन हो, are

32

am

"I" सँग am

33

is

"Kathmandu" एकल (city name) हो, is

34

are

"They" बहुवचन, are

35

are

"We" बहुवचन, are

36

are

"Keys" बहुवचन, are

37

is

"He" एकल, is

38

is

"School" एकल, is

39

are

"You" सँग are

40

are

"Flowers" बहुवचन, are

41

am

"I" + action happening now = am + V+ing.

42

is

"She" + action = is + cooking.

43

are

"They" + action = are + playing.

44

are

"We" + action = are + watching.

45

is

"He" + action = is + writing.

46

are

"You" सँग are + talking.

47

is

"Dog" एकल हो, is + barking.

48

are

"Girls" बहुवचन, are + dancing.

49

am

"I" सँग am + learning.

50

is

"It" सँग is + raining (weather).

51

is

"It" (weather) सँग is

52

are

"We" बहुवचन, are

53

is

"Sun" एकल हो, is

54

are

"They" बहुवचन, are

55

is

"Today" (day) एकल हो, is

56

am

"I" सँग am

57

are

"Mangoes" बहुवचन, are

58

is

"Water" (uncountable/singular), is

59

are

"You" सँग सधैं are

60

are

"Shoes" बहुवचन हो, are


📌 Golden Rule Recap (for your memory):

  • I → am
  • He / She / It / Singular noun → is
  • You / We / They / Plural noun → are

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

IELTS Speaking Part 1 masterclass for beginners!

IELTS Speaking Part 1 masterclass for beginners! Many students fear this part the most, but it is actually the easiest part of the exam....