Wednesday, 2 September 2026

Use of have, has, and had

Use of have, has, and had

Use of have, has, and had, it helps to know that they are forms of the verb "to have."

In Nepali, they generally translate to "" (cha), "छन्" (chan), "थियो" (thiyo), "भएको " (bhaeko cha) or "सँग" (sanga - meaning "with") depending on the situation.

Here is a complete, topic-by-topic guide with English and Nepali meanings together.


The Golden Rule (Subject-Verb Agreement)

  • I / You / We / They / Plural Nouns = have ( / तिमी / हामी / उनीहरू / बहुवचन = सँग / छन्)
  • He / She / It / Singular Nouns = has ( / उनी / यो / एकवचन = सँग / हो)
  • All Subjects (Past Tense) = had (सबै विषय = सँग थियो / भएको थियो)

Topic 1: Possession (Showing ownership) – स्वामित्व / सँग भएको कुरा

Rule: Use have/has for present ownership. Use had for past ownership.

EnglishNepali Meaning

I have a car.

मसँग एउटा कार (Ma-sanga euta car cha.)

She has long hair.

उनको लामो कपाल (Unko lamo kapal cha.)

They have a big house.

उनीहरूसँग एउटा ठूलो घर (Uniharu-sanga thulo ghar cha.)

He has two brothers.

उसको दुई दाजुभाइ छन् (Us ko dui daju-bhai chan.)

We have money.

हामीसँग पैसा (Hami-sanga paisa cha.)

You have a nice smile.

तिमीसँग राम्रो मुस्कान (Timi-sanga ramro muskan cha.)

I had a bicycle when I was young.

मसँग सानोमा साइकल थियो (Ma-sanga sano-ma cycle thiyo.)

She had a fever yesterday.

उनलाई हिजो ज्वरो थियो (Unlai hijo jwaro thiyo.)

They had a meeting last week.

उनीहरूको गत हप्ता बैठक थियो (Uniharu-ko gata hapta baithak thiyo.)


Topic 2: Relationships & Family – सम्बन्ध परिवार

Rule: Use has for one person, have for multiple, and had for past relationships.

EnglishNepali Meaning

She has a daughter.

उनको एउटी छोरी (Unko euti chhori cha.)

I have three sisters.

मेरो तीन बहिनी छन् (Mero tin bahini chan.)

He has many friends.

उसका धेरै साथी छन् (Uska dherai sathi chan.)

We have a big family.

हाम्रो ठूलो परिवार (Hamro thulo parivar cha.)

My uncle has a son.

मेरो काकाको एउटा छोरा (Mero kaka-ko euta chhora cha.)

I had a dog when I was a child.

मसँग बाल्यकालमा एउटा कुकुर थियो (Ma-sanga balyekal-ma euta kukur thiyo.)


Topic 3: Actions (Present Perfect Tense - Just finished) – भर्खरै सकिएको काम

Rule: Use have/has + Past Participle (V3) to talk about recent actions. Had + V3 is for Past Perfect (before another past action).

EnglishNepali Meaning

I have eaten my lunch.

मैले खाना खाइसकेको छु (Maile khana kha-isakeko chu.)

She has finished her homework.

उनले गृहकार्य सकिसकेकी छिन् (Unle gharkarya sak-isakeki chin.)

They have arrived at the station.

उनीहरू स्टेसन पुगिसकेका छन् (Uniharu station pugisakeka chan.)

He has left the office.

अफिसबाट जानुभएको (U office-bata janubhayeko cha.)

We have seen that movie.

हामीले त्यो चलचित्र हेरिसकेका छौं (Hamile tyo chalchitra herisakeka chhau.)

It has stopped raining.

पानी रोकिएको (Pani rokiyeko cha.)

I had already eaten when he came.

आउनुभन्दा पहिले नै मैले खाना खाइसकेको थिएँ (U aaunubhanda pahile nai maile khana khaisakeko thiyem.)

She had left before I called her.

मैले फोन गर्नुभन्दा पहिले नै उनी गइसकेकी थिइन् (Maile phone garnubhanda pahile nai uni gaisakeki thiin.)


Topic 4: Experiences (Life experiences) – जीवनका अनुभवहरू

Rule: Use have/has + V3 to talk about experiences in life (without saying exactly when).

EnglishNepali Meaning

I have been to Pokhara.

पोखरा गइसकेको छु (Ma Pokhara gaisakeko chu.)

She has never eaten sushi.

उनले कहिल्यै सुसी खाएकी छैनन् (Unle kahilyai sushi khayeki chainan.)

He has traveled to many countries.

धेरै देशहरू घुमिसकेका छन् (U dherai desh-haru ghumisakeka chan.)

We have met the Prime Minister.

हामीले प्रधानमन्त्रीलाई भेटिसकेका छौं (Hamile Pradhanmantri-lai bhetisakeka chhau.)

They have never seen snow.

उनीहरूले कहिल्यै हिउँ देखेका छैनन् (Uniharule kahilyai hiu dekheka chainan.)

I had never flown before 2020.

सन् २०२० अघि मैले कहिल्यै हवाई जहाज चढेको थिइनँ (San 2020 agadi maile kahilyai hawai jahaj chadeko thiina.)


Topic 5: Obligation / Necessity (have to / has to / had to) – गर्नुपर्ने बाध्यता

Rule: Use have/has/had + to + verb to show something is necessary.

EnglishNepali Meaning

I have to go now.

मलाई अहिले जानु (Malai ahile janu cha.)

She has to wake up early.

उनलाई चाँडै उठ्नु पर्छ (Unlai chadai uthnu parcha.)

We have to finish this today.

हामीले आज यो सक्नु पर्छ (Hamile aja yo saknu parcha.)

He has to pay the bill.

उसले बिल तिर्नु पर्छ (Usle bill tirnu parcha.)

I had to walk to school when I was young.

मलाई सानोमा स्कूल हिँडेर जानु पर्थ्यो (Malai sano-ma school hidder janu parthyo.)

They had to cancel the trip.

उनीहरूले यात्रा रद्द गर्नु पर्यो (Uniharule yatra radd garnu paryo.)


Topic 6: Physical Features & Characteristics – शारीरिक विशेषता

Rule: Use these to describe how someone or something looks.

EnglishNepali Meaning

She has blue eyes.

उनको नीलो आँखा (Unko nilo ankha cha.)

He has a beard.

उसको दाह्री (Usko dahri cha.)

The table has four legs.

टेबलको चार खुट्टा छन् (Table-ko char khutta chan.)

Elephants have big ears.

हात्तीको ठूलो कान हुन्छ (Hatti-ko thulo kan huncha.)

My father has grey hair.

मेरो बुबाको खैरो कपाल (Mero buba-ko khairo kapal cha.)


Topic 7: Eating & Drinking (Meals) – खानपान

Rule: Use these with meals to show what you consume.

EnglishNepali Meaning

I have breakfast at 7 AM.

बिहान बजे खाजा खान्छु (Ma bihana 7 baje khaja khanchu.)

She has tea every morning.

उनी हरेक बिहान चिया पिउँछिन् (Uni harek bihana chiya piunchin.)

We have dinner together.

हामी सँगै रातको खाना खान्छौं (Hami sangai ratko khana khanchhau.)

They had pizza for lunch.

उनीहरूले दिउँसोको खानामा पिज्जा खाए (Uniharule diunsoko khanama pizza khaye.)


Topic 8: Negative & Question Forms – नकारात्मक प्रश्न

Rule: Add "not" for negative. Put have/has/had at the start for questions.

EnglishNepali Meaning

I don't have a pen.

मसँग कलम छैन (Ma-sanga kalam chaina.)

She doesn't have a car.

उनीसँग कार छैन (Uni-sanga car chaina.)

They don't have enough time.

उनीहरूसँग पर्याप्त समय छैन (Uniharu-sanga paryapta samaya chaina.)

Have you eaten?

तिमीले खाना खायौ? (Timile khana khayau?)

Has she called you?

उनले तिमीलाई फोन गरिन्? (Unle timilai phone garin?)

Had they left before you arrived?

तिमी आउनुभन्दा पहिले उनीहरू गइसकेका थिए? (Timi aaunubhanda pahile uniharu gaisakeka thiye?)

He hasn't finished his work.

उसले काम सकेको छैन (Usle kam sakeko chaina.)


Summary Chart for Quick Revision

Subject (विषय)Present (हाल)Past (विगत)Nepali Meaning (Present)

I

have

had

मसँग / मैले गरें

You

have

had

तिमीसँग / तिमीले गर्यौ

He / She / It

has

had

उसँग / उसले गर्यो

We

have

had

हामीसँग / हामीले गर्यौं

They

have

had

उनीहरूसँग / उनीहरूले गरे


🔥 Pro-Tips for Nepali Speakers:

1.      Remember the "सँग " rule: If you are saying someone has something (ownership), think of Nepali "सँग " (sanga cha).

o    Masanga cha = I have.

o    Usanga cha = He/She has.

2.      Don't confuse with "" (is):

o    "He is a doctor" = डाक्टर हो (Identity).

o    "He has a doctor" = उसँग डाक्टर (He possesses a doctor - maybe a family doctor).

3.      For "had" in the past: Remember "थियो" (thiyo) for singular and "थिए" (thie) for plural.

o    Masanga cycle thiyo = I had a cycle.

o    Uniharusanga cycle thie = They had cycles.

4.      50 more example sentences using have, has, and had, divided into various real-life situations. Each sentence includes English and Nepali meaning together, so you can see exactly how they are used in different contexts.

5.     

6.     Set 1: Possession (Things you own) – स्वामित्व / आफ्नो वस्तु

1

I have a new smartphone.

मसँग नयाँ स्मार्टफोन

2

She has a beautiful garden.

उनको सुन्दर बगैंचा

3

They have two cars.

उनीहरूसँग दुईवटा कार छन्

4

He has a gold ring.

उसको सुनको औंठी

5

We have a television in our room.

हाम्रो कोठामा टेलिभिजन

6

You have a very nice house.

तिमीसँग धेरै राम्रो घर

7

My grandmother has a traditional necklace.

मेरी हजुरआमासँग पुरानो हार

8

I had a red bicycle when I was 10.

मसँग १० वर्षको हुँदा रातो साइकल थियो

9

They had a big farm in the village.

उनीहरूसँग गाउँमा ठूलो फार्म थियो

10

She had a lot of jewelry before the robbery.

चोरी हुनुभन्दा पहिले उनीसँग धेरै गहना थिए

7.     

8.     Set 2: Family & Relationships – परिवार सम्बन्ध

11

I have two younger brothers.

मेरो दुई कान्छा भाइ छन्

12

She has a lovely daughter.

उनको एउटी प्यारी छोरी

13

He has many cousins in Kathmandu.

उसका काठमाडौंमा धेरै दाजुभाइ/दिदीबहिनी छन्

14

We have a large family of 8 members.

हाम्रो जनाको ठूलो परिवार

15

They have three children.

उनीहरूका तीन जना छोराछोरी छन्

16

You have a very supportive husband.

तिमीसँग धेरै सहयोगी श्रीमान्

17

My uncle has a son who lives in Australia.

मेरो काकाको अष्ट्रेलियामा बस्ने छोरा

18

I had a best friend in school.

मेरो स्कूलमा एउटा मिल्ने साथी थियो

19

She had a boyfriend in college.

उनको कलेजमा एउटा प्रेमी थियो

20

They had a pet cat when they were kids.

उनीहरूसँग बाल्यकालमा एउटा बिरालो थियो

 

9.     Set 3: Health & Physical Conditions – स्वास्थ्य शारीरिक अवस्था

21

I have a headache.

मलाई टाउको दुखिरहेको

22

She has a fever today.

उनलाई आज ज्वरो

23

He has a broken leg.

उसको खुट्टा भाँचिएको

24

They have cold and cough.

उनीहरूलाई रुघा खोकी

25

We have allergies during spring.

हामीलाई बसन्तमा एलर्जी हुन्छ

26

You have a beautiful smile.

तिमीसँग सुन्दर मुस्कान

27

My mother has high blood pressure.

मेरी आमालाई उच्च रक्तचाप

28

I had a stomach ache yesterday.

मलाई हिजो पेट दुखेको थियो

29

She had a surgery last year.

उनको गत वर्ष शल्यक्रिया भएको थियो

30

He had a heart problem in the past.

उसलाई पहिले हृदयको समस्या थियो

 

10.Set 4: Food & Meals (Eating/Drinking) – खानपान

31

I have breakfast at 8 AM every day.

हरेक दिन बजे खाजा खान्छु

32

She has a cup of tea in the morning.

उनी बिहान एक कप चिया पिउँछिन्

33

We have lunch together at the office.

हामी अफिसमा सँगै दिउँसोको खाना खान्छौं

34

They have dinner very late at night.

उनीहरू राति धेरै ढिलो खाना खान्छन्

35

He has rice and curry for lunch.

दिउँसो भात तरकारी खान्छ

36

I had pizza for dinner last night.

मैले हिजो राती पिज्जा खाएँ

37

She had a glass of milk before sleeping.

उनले सुत्नुअघि एक गिलास दूध पिइन्

38

We had a big feast during Dashain.

हामीले दशैंमा ठूलो भोज खायौं

39

You have to eat vegetables every day.

तिमीले हरेक दिन तरकारी खानु पर्छ (Obligation)

40

The baby has milk every 3 hours.

बच्चाले हरेक घण्टामा दूध पिउँछ

 

11.Set 5: Experiences (Life events) – जीवनका अनुभवहरू

41

I have been to Lumbini twice.

लुम्बिनी दुई पटक गइसकेको छु

42

She has never flown in an airplane.

उनले कहिल्यै हवाई जहाज चढेकी छैनन्

43

He has climbed Mount Everest.

सगरमाथा चढिसकेका छन्

44

We have attended many concerts.

हामी धेरै कन्सर्टहरूमा सहभागी भइसकेका छौं

45

They have lived in 5 different cities.

उनीहरू वटा फरक शहरहरूमा बसिसकेका छन्

46

I have never tried bungee jumping.

मैले कहिल्यै बन्जी जम्पिङ गरेको छैन

47

She has won many awards.

उनले धेरै पुरस्कार जितिसकेकी छिन्

48

I had never seen the ocean before 2015.

सन् २०१५ अघि मैले कहिल्यै समुन्द्र देखेको थिइनँ

49

She had never eaten Nepali food before coming here.

यहाँ आउनुभन्दा पहिले उनले कहिल्यै नेपाली खाना खाएकी थिइनन्

50

They had already visited Pokhara before they moved there.

उनीहरू त्यहाँ सर्नुभन्दा पहिले नै पोखरा घुमिसकेका थिए

 

12.🔥 Extra: Negative & Question Forms (Bonus Examples)

B1

I don't have any money right now.

मसँग अहिले पैसा छैन

B2

She doesn't have a passport yet.

उनीसँग अझै पासपोर्ट छैन

B3

They don't have a car, so they walk.

उनीहरूसँग कार नभएकाले हिँड्छन्

B4

Have you ever been to Nepal?

के तिमी कहिल्यै नेपाल गएका छौ?

B5

Has she finished her project?

के उनले आफ्नो प्रोजेक्ट सकिन्?

B6

Had they left before you came?

तिमी आउनुभन्दा पहिले उनीहरू गइसकेका थिए?

 

13.Quick Reference Chart (Nepali Focus)

 

I

have = मसँग / मैले...

had = मसँग थियो / मैले... गरेको थिएँ

मसँग किताब / थियो

He/She/It

has = उसँग / उसले...

had = उसँग थियो / उसले... गरेको थियो

उसँग कार / थियो

You/We/They

have = तिमी/हामी/उनीहरूसँग

had = तिमी/हामी/उनीहरूसँग थियो

उनीहरूसँग घर / थियो

 

14.🧠 Memory Tricks for Nepali Speakers:

English VerbWhen to useNepali Translation

Have

I, You, We, They (Present)

... (sanga cha) / ...गरेको छु (gareko chu)

Has

He, She, It (Present)

... (sanga cha) / ...गरेको (gareko cha)

Had

ALL subjects (Past)

...थियो (thiyo) / ...गरेको थियो (gareko thiyo)

 

15.  Common Mistakes Nepali Speakers Make:

Wrong (गलत)Right (सही)Reason (कारण)

He have a pen.

He has a pen.

"He" singular हो, त्यसैले has

I has a book.

I have a book.

"I" सँग सधैं have

She have gone.

She has gone.

"She" + V3 = has gone

They has arrived.

They have arrived.

"They" plural हो, त्यसैले have

I have a car yesterday.

I had a car yesterday.

"Yesterday" past हो, त्यसैले had

 

60 fill-in-the-blank exercises using have, has, and had.

Exercise Set 1: Possession (Things you own) – स्वामित्व

1.      I _______ a new laptop. (have / has / had)

2.      She _______ a beautiful necklace. (have / has / had)

3.      They _______ a big swimming pool. (have / has / had)

4.      He _______ an expensive watch. (have / has / had)

5.      We _______ a garden behind our house. (have / has / had)

6.      You _______ a very kind heart. (have / has / had)

7.      My father _______ a classic car. (have / has / had)

8.      The house _______ five rooms. (have / has / had)

9.      I _______ a toy train when I was young. (have / has / had)

10. She _______ a bicycle before she bought a car. (have / has / had)


Exercise Set 2: Family & Relationships – परिवार सम्बन्ध

11. I _______ three sisters. (have / has / had)

12. He _______ a twin brother. (have / has / had)

13. We _______ many relatives in America. (have / has / had)

14. My uncle _______ two daughters. (have / has / had)

15. They _______ four children. (have / has / had)

16. You _______ a lovely family. (have / has / had)

17. She _______ a very caring husband. (have / has / had)

18. My grandparents _______ 10 grandchildren. (have / has / had)

19. I _______ a pet dog in my childhood. (have / has / had)

20. He _______ many girlfriends in college. (have / has / had)


Exercise Set 3: Health & Physical Conditions – स्वास्थ्य शारीरिक अवस्था

21. I _______ a severe headache. (have / has / had)

22. She _______ a high fever today. (have / has / had)

23. They _______ the flu. (have / has / had)

24. He _______ a broken arm. (have / has / had)

25. We _______ a cough and cold. (have / has / had)

26. You _______ dark circles under your eyes. (have / has / had)

27. My mother _______ diabetes. (have / has / had)

28. The patient _______ a heart attack last night. (have / has / had)

29. I _______ a toothache yesterday. (have / has / had)

30. She _______ an operation last month. (have / has / had)


Exercise Set 4: Food & Meals (Eating/Drinking) – खानपान

31. I _______ dinner at 8 PM every night. (have / has / had)

32. She _______ a glass of warm milk before bed. (have / has / had)

33. We _______ lunch in the office canteen. (have / has / had)

34. They _______ breakfast together every morning. (have / has / had)

35. He _______ coffee after dinner. (have / has / had)

36. I _______ a sandwich for breakfast today. (have / has / had)

37. She _______ ice cream for dessert last night. (have / has / had)

38. We _______ a huge meal during the festival. (have / has / had)

39. You _______ to eat more vegetables. (have / has / had) [Obligation]

40. The children _______ their snacks already. (have / has / had)


Exercise Set 5: Present Perfect (Recent Actions) – भर्खरै सकिएको काम

41. I _______ finished my homework. (have / has / had)

42. She _______ already left for work. (have / has / had)

43. They _______ completed the project. (have / has / had)

44. He _______ just arrived from Pokhara. (have / has / had)

45. We _______ seen that movie before. (have / has / had)

46. The train _______ already departed. (have / has / had)

47. You _______ made a big mistake. (have / has / had)

48. The rain _______ stopped now. (have / has / had)

49. I _______ never eaten sushi. (have / has / had)

50. She _______ never visited Lumbini. (have / has / had)


Exercise Set 6: Past Perfect (Before another past action) – अर्को काम हुनुभन्दा पहिले

51. I _______ already eaten when she came. (have / has / had)

52. He _______ left before I called him. (have / has / had)

53. They _______ finished the work by 5 PM. (have / has / had)

54. She _______ never seen snow before she went to Japan. (have / has / had)

55. We _______ already booked the tickets when we heard the news. (have / has / had)

56. The show _______ started before we reached. (have / has / had)

57. I _______ never met him before that day. (have / has / had)

58. She _______ already read that book. (have / has / had)

59. They _______ lived in that house for 10 years before moving. (have / has / had)

60. He _______ just finished his exam when the bell rang. (have / has / had)

 

✅ ANSWER KEY WITH SHORT REASONS

1

have

"I" सँग सधैं have प्रयोग हुन्छ।

2

has

"She" एकल (singular) हो, त्यसैले has

3

have

"They" बहुवचन (plural) हो, त्यसैले have

4

has

"He" एकल हो, त्यसैले has

5

have

"We" बहुवचन हो, have प्रयोग हुन्छ।

6

have

"You" सँग सधैं have प्रयोग हुन्छ।

7

has

"Father" एकल (singular) हो, has

8

has

"House" एकल हो, has

9

had

"When I was young" past tense हो, त्यसैले had

10

had

"Before she bought a car" past action हो, had

11

have

"I" सँग have

12

has

"He" एकल हो, has

13

have

"We" बहुवचन हो, have

14

has

"Uncle" एकल हो, has

15

have

"They" बहुवचन हो, have

16

have

"You" सँग have

17

has

"She" एकल हो, has

18

have

"Grandparents" बहुवचन हो, have

19

had

"In my childhood" past time हो, त्यसैले had

20

had

"In college" past time हो, had

21

have

"I" सँग have (present - अहिले दुखेको)

22

has

"She" एकल + "today" present = has

23

have

"They" बहुवचन, have

24

has

"He" एकल, has

25

have

"We" बहुवचन, have

26

have

"You" सँग have

27

has

"Mother" एकल, has (permanent condition)

28

had

"Last night" past time हो, त्यसैले had

29

had

"Yesterday" past time हो, had

30

had

"Last month" past time हो, had

31

have

"I" + daily routine (present) = have

32

has

"She" एकल + daily habit = has

33

have

"We" बहुवचन + routine = have

34

have

"They" बहुवचन + routine = have

35

has

"He" एकल + routine = has

36

had

"Today" past (already eaten) = had

37

had

"Last night" past time = had

38

had

"During the festival" past event = had

39

have

"You" + obligation (have to) = have

40

have

"Children" बहुवचन + "already" (present perfect) = have

41

have

"I" + present perfect (finished) = have

42

has

"She" + present perfect (already left) = has

43

have

"They" + present perfect (completed) = have

44

has

"He" + present perfect (just arrived) = has

45

have

"We" + present perfect (seen) = have

46

has

"Train" एकल + present perfect (departed) = has

47

have

"You" + present perfect (made) = have

48

has

"Rain" एकल + present perfect (stopped) = has

49

have

"I" + present perfect (never eaten) = have

50

has

"She" + present perfect (never visited) = has

51

had

Past perfect: "already eaten" before "she came" = had

52

had

Past perfect: "left" before "I called" = had

53

had

Past perfect: finished before 5 PM = had

54

had

Past perfect: never seen before "she went" = had

55

had

Past perfect: booked before "we heard" = had

56

had

Past perfect: started before "we reached" = had

57

had

Past perfect: never met before "that day" = had

58

had

Past perfect: read before another past time = had

59

had

Past perfect: lived before "moving" = had

60

had

Past perfect: finished before "bell rang" = had


📌 Golden Rule Recap (for your memory):

SubjectPresent (हाल)Past (विगत)When to use

I / You / We / They

have

had

Ownership, experiences, present perfect

He / She / It / Singular

has

had

Ownership, experiences, present perfect

ALL Subjects

had

Past actions / Past perfect (before another past action)


🔥 Pro-Tip for Nepali Speakers:

  • Present (अहिले) = Have/Hasअनुवाद: " / छन्" (sanga cha/chan)
  • Past (विगत) = Hadअनुवाद: "थियो / थिए" (thiyo / thie)
  • Present Perfect (भर्खरै) = Have/Has + V3अनुवाद: "इसकेको छु / / छन्"
  • Past Perfect (पहिले नै) = Had + V3अनुवाद: "इसकेको थिएँ / थियो / थिए"

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Use of "have to," "has to," and "had to

  Use of "have to," "has to," and "had to Use of "have to," "has to," and "had to,"...