Thursday, 8 October 2026

PTE Useful Vocabulary for Speaking (with Nepali Meanings and English Examples)

PTE Useful Vocabulary for Speaking (with Nepali Meanings and English Examples)


1. Describing Trends & Changes

English Word

Nepali Meaning

Example Sentence

increase

वृद्धि हुनु

The number of students increased significantly last year.

decrease

कमी हुनु

The rainfall decreased during the summer months.

rise

बढ्नु

House prices rose sharply in urban areas.

fall

घट्नु

Employment fell across the manufacturing sector.

fluctuate

उतार-चढ़ाव हुनु

Temperatures fluctuated throughout the week.

remain stable

स्थिर रहनु

The population remained stable over the decade.

peak

उच्चतम बिन्दुमा पुग्नु

Sales peaked in December.

decline

गिरावट हुनु

The birth rate has declined steadily.

grow

बढ्नु

The economy grew by 5 percent.

drop

घट्नु

Attendance dropped dramatically after the holiday.


2. Expressing Opinions

English Word/Phrase

Nepali Meaning

Example Sentence

I believe

मलाई लाग्छ

I believe education is the key to success.

In my opinion

मेरो विचारमा

In my opinion, technology has changed our lives.

I think

मलाई लाग्छ

I think the government should invest more in health.

From my perspective

मेरो दृष्टिकोणबाट

From my perspective, this policy is beneficial.

I strongly agree

म पूर्ण रूपमा सहमत छु

I strongly agree that climate change is urgent.

I disagree

म असहमत छु

I disagree with the idea that money brings happiness.

It seems to me

मलाई यस्तो लाग्छ

It seems to me that people are working longer hours.


3. Giving Reasons & Examples

English Word/Phrase

Nepali Meaning

Example Sentence

because

किनभने

I chose this career because I love helping people.

therefore

त्यसैले

He studied hard; therefore, he passed the exam.

for example

उदाहरणको लागि

For example, many students use mobile apps for learning.

such as

जस्तै

Fruits such as apples and oranges are healthy.

moreover

यसका अतिरिक्त

Moreover, exercise improves mental health.

in addition

थप रूपमा

In addition, the cost of living has risen.

as a result

परिणामस्वरूप

As a result, more people moved to cities.

due to

कारणले

Due to heavy rain, the event was cancelled.


4. Comparing & Contrasting

English Word/Phrase

Nepali Meaning

Example Sentence

however

तर/यद्यपि

However, not everyone agrees with this view.

whereas

जबकि

Men prefer sports, whereas women prefer reading.

on the other hand

अर्कोतर्फ

On the other hand, technology can isolate people.

similarly

त्यसैगरी

Similarly, education levels have improved.

in contrast

यसको विपरीत

In contrast, rural areas have fewer facilities.

compared to

तुलनामा

Compared to last year, prices are higher.

while

जबकि

While cities are busy, villages are peaceful.

unlike

भन्दा फरक

Unlike his brother, he enjoys public speaking.


5. Describing Importance

English Word/Phrase

Nepali Meaning

Example Sentence

crucial

अत्यावश्यक

Education is crucial for a country's development.

essential

आवश्यक

Clean water is essential for good health.

significant

महत्त्वपूर्ण

There has been a significant improvement in literacy.

vital

अत्यन्त महत्त्वपूर्ण

Sleep is vital for mental well-being.

important

महत्त्वपूर्ण

It is important to respect different cultures.

valuable

मूल्यवान

Time is more valuable than money.

necessary

आवश्यक

It is necessary to follow traffic rules.


6. Describing Problems & Solutions

English Word/Phrase

Nepali Meaning

Example Sentence

problem

समस्या

Air pollution is a serious problem in Kathmandu.

issue

मुद्दा

Climate change is a global issue.

challenge

चुनौती

Finding a job is a major challenge for graduates.

solution

समाधान

The solution is to invest in renewable energy.

tackle

समाधान गर्नु

Governments must tackle unemployment.

overcome

पार गर्नु

She overcame many difficulties to succeed.

address

सम्बोधन गर्नु

We need to address the housing crisis.

solve

समाधान गर्नु

Technology can help solve many problems.


7. Useful Connectors & Discourse Markers

English Word/Phrase

Nepali Meaning

Example Sentence

firstly

पहिलो कुरा

Firstly, education improves job prospects.

secondly

दोस्रो कुरा

Secondly, it helps reduce poverty.

finally

अन्तमा

Finally, education strengthens democracy.

in conclusion

निष्कर्षमा

In conclusion, education is the foundation of society.

to sum up

संक्षेपमा

To sum up, both views have merit.

overall

समग्रमा

Overall, the situation has improved.

nevertheless

तैपनि

Nevertheless, more work is needed.

consequently

परिणामस्वरूप

Consequently, many people lost their jobs.


8. Describing Personal Experience

English Word/Phrase

Nepali Meaning

Example Sentence

experience

अनुभव

I had a wonderful experience travelling to Pokhara.

memorable

सम्झनायोग्य

It was a memorable trip with my family.

opportunity

अवसर

I got the opportunity to study abroad.

achievement

उपलब्धि

Winning the competition was a great achievement.

challenge

चुनौती

Learning English was a challenge for me.

motivated

प्रेरित

My teacher motivated me to work harder.

inspired

प्रेरित

I was inspired by my father's dedication.

confident

आत्मविश्वासी

I feel confident when I speak in public.


9. Describing People & Places

English Word

Nepali Meaning

Example Sentence

generous

उदार

My grandfather was a generous man.

hardworking

मेहनती

Nepali farmers are hardworking and resilient.

hospitable

आतिथ्यशील

Nepali people are known for being hospitable.

crowded

भीडभाड

Kathmandu is crowded during festivals.

peaceful

शान्त

The village is peaceful and quiet.

vibrant

जीवन्त

The market was vibrant and colourful.

picturesque

रमणीय

Pokhara is a picturesque city.

bustling

चहलपहल

The streets were bustling with activity.


10. Academic & Formal Vocabulary

English Word

Nepali Meaning

Example Sentence

analyse

विश्लेषण गर्नु

We need to analyse the data carefully.

evaluate

मूल्याङ्कन गर्नु

Teachers evaluate students' progress.

demonstrate

प्रदर्शन गर्नु

The study demonstrates a clear link.

indicate

संकेत गर्नु

The results indicate a positive trend.

suggest

सुझाव दिनु

Research suggests that exercise improves memory.

conclude

निष्कर्ष निकाल्नु

We can conclude that the policy worked.

highlight

उजागर गर्नु

The report highlights key challenges.

emphasise

जोड दिनु

I want to emphasise the importance of teamwork.


11. Common PTE Speaking Phrases

English Phrase

Nepali Meaning

Example Sentence

Let me describe

म वर्णन गर्न दिनुहोस्

Let me describe the picture in detail.

As you can see

तपाईं देख्न सक्नुहुन्छ

As you can see, the graph shows an upward trend.

What stands out is

मुख्य कुरा के हो भने

What stands out is the sharp increase in 2020.

It is worth noting

यो उल्लेखनीय छ

It is worth noting that both figures are similar.

To be more specific

अझ विशेष रूपमा

To be more specific, the number doubled.

In other words

अर्को शब्दमा

In other words, the situation improved.

Generally speaking

सामान्यतया

Generally speaking, people prefer city life.

As far as I know

मलाई थाहा भएसम्म

As far as I know, this is the best option.


12. Retell Lecture / Summarise Group Discussion Vocabulary

English Phrase

Nepali Meaning

Example Sentence

The speaker mentioned

वक्ताले उल्लेख गर्नुभयो

The speaker mentioned three main causes.

According to the lecture

व्याख्यान अनुसार

According to the lecture, sleep affects memory.

The main point was

मुख्य बिन्दु थियो

The main point was that education needs reform.

The presenter argued

प्रस्तुतकर्ताले तर्क गर्नुभयो

The presenter argued that technology helps learning.

It was suggested that

सुझाव दिइयो

It was suggested that governments should act.

The discussion focused on

छलफल केन्द्रित थियो

The discussion focused on climate change.


Tips for PTE Speaking

1.      Use varied vocabulary — Avoid repeating the same words.

2.      Use connectors — Words like however, moreover, therefore improve fluency.

3.      Speak naturally — Do not memorise sentences; practise using words in context.

4.      Use academic words — Words like significant, crucial, demonstrate boost your score.

5.      Practise daily — Use these words in your own sentences.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Personal Introductions for Interview

Personal Introductions for Interview 1. Archana Good morning. My name is Archana. I am originally from Nepal and I currently live ...