Tuesday 13 June 2023

IELTS GT/UKVI Writing Task 1 Formal letter





Formal letter

It is mainly written to the people whom you have not met before or have no any relation. Moreover, people whom you don’t know or are senior to you are related to this letter.  You will be provided such topics of the letters are like: job applications, letters of complaint, letter of request to your manager, or requesting information.

You should mainly focus on the two things:

Starting: Dear sir/madam,

Ending: Yours faithfully,

Note: you should make your writing in a formal way. It should show the complete meaning. You cannot use short abbreviations and contractions.

Here is the formal letter structure

Dear Sir/Madam, 

Paragraph 1- Say why you are writing to them. (I am writing with regard to…

Paragraph 2- Bullet point 1 and supporting details 

Paragraph 3- Bullet point 2 and supporting details 

Paragraph 4- Bullet point 3 and supporting details 

I look forward to hearing from you. 

Yours faithfully, 

[Your Full Name]

Useful Language

Below is a selection of useful language for you to use in a formal letter. The phrases you choose will depend on the context of the question.

Beginning

§  I am writing this letter with regard to…

§  I am writing to bring to your attention…

§  I am writing to inform you that…

§  I am writing to express my dissatisfaction with…..

Requests and Suggestions

 I would be grateful if you would…

·        I would like you to…

·        I am entitled to request that you….

·        I was wondering if it would be at all possible to….

·        I would like to suggest that….

Ending

·        I look forward to hearing from you.

·        I look forward to receiving your response.

·        I await your prompt service.

·        I thank you for your consideration.

·        Please respond at the earliest convenience.

 Sample 1

On a recent holiday you lost a valuable item. Fortunately, you have travel insurance to cover the cost of anything lost.

Write a letter to the manager of your insurance company. In your letter

•      describe the item you lost

•      explain how you lost it

•      tell the insurance company what you would like them to do.

Dear Sir/Madam

I am writing to inform you that I recently lost my digital camera while on holiday in Vietnam.

The camera is a black Canon 70d and cost $1550 when I bought it new last month. It has a resolution of 20 megapixels, a Canon 67-millimeter lens and was in a brown leather case with my name on it.

I lost it when I was having coffee with my husband in the backpacker area of Ho Chi Minh City. I believe the coffee shop was called Highlands Coffee and it was on Pham Ngu Lao Street. We had been at the coffee shop for around 45 minutes when I noticed it was missing.

I am entitled to make a claim for the value of the above-mentioned item and request that you send me details on what I need to do in order to proceed.

I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.

Yours faithfully

John Smith

(162 words)

Sample 2

You should spend about 20 minutes on this task.

You are due to start a new job next week but you will not be able to because you have some problems.

Write a letter to your new employer. In your letter

• explain your situation
• describe your problems
• tell him/her when you think you can start.

You should write at least 150 words.
You do NOT need to write your own address.

Begin your letter as follows:

Dear ...............,

Dear sir/madam,

I am writing concerning the position of Assistant Office Manager that I am due to begin next Monday. However, a problem has arisen.

As you know, I currently work for my uncle's food-packing business, and you will remember from my interview that I have gained valuable experience there. Unfortunately, he has had to go into hospital for an operation, leaving my aunt in charge of both the home and the business. She has asked me, as this is a particularly busy time of year, to stay on and help her with the running of the office. I realize this will be inconvenient to you, but very much hope that, given the circumstances, you would be prepared to allow me to take up my position with you two weeks later than planned. I would like to emphasize that I remain very keen to work with you, and that I will be gaining further useful experience during this time.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely,
John Forbes

(170 words)

 

Sample 3

On a recent holiday you lost a valuable item. Fortunately, you have travel insurance to cover the cost of anything lost.

Write a letter to the manager of your insurance company. In your letter:
• Describe the item you lost
• Explain how you lost it.
• Tell the insurance company what you would like them to do.

Dear Sir or Madam,


I am writing in connection with a laptop I lost last weekend which was under the travel insurance with your company.

That was the ‘HP’ brand laptop which I bought last month with a price of USD 650.00. It was black colored and with the latest i-7 core processor technology covering 2 years of warranty.

I have visited Goa to spend my yearly holiday along with my entire family member. The laptop was stolen from my hotel room where we were at sea beach. It is to be mentioned here that the room was locked during that time. After returning I found myself in this unpleasant situation and contacted to the hotel authority immediately and made a serious complaint. Moreover, I have made a General Diary to the nearest police station for the same reason. The copy of the GD is enclosed here.

Therefore, I request you to properly investigate the matter and arrange to pay the claimed amount under insurance by a cheque at an early date so that I can purchase a new one. Your early action in this regard will be highly appreciated.

Yours faithfully,
John Jolly
(195 words)

 

Sample 4

You travelled by plane last week and your suitcase was lost. You have still heard nothing from the airline company.

Write to the airline and

• explain what happened
• describe your suitcase and tell them what was in it
• find out what they are going to do about it

Dear Sir / Madam,

I am writing to you regarding my suitcase, which was lost on the British Airways flight from London to New York (BA123) on January 2nd. When I realized the loss on my arrival in New York I reported it to the counter staff. The agent promised to give my hotel a call within the next hours, but unfortunately this did not happen. I have contacted British Airways numerous times since by phone without being able to locate the suitcase.

My suitcase is made of dark blue fabric with black handles and a single. It contains clothing, presents for friends I will visit and photographic equipment I was planning to use on my trip. I already had to buy some cloths and toiletry for which I attached the receipt to this letter expecting you to refund my expenses.

I hope this matter can be resolved very soon as I plan to continue my trip to California on the 7th of January and will no longer be able to pick up the suitcase in New York after this date. You can reach me on my mobile 123456789.

Yours Faithfully,
Chuck Berry

(193 words)

Question 1

You and your friends ate a meal at a restaurant to celebrate a special occasion, and you were very pleased with the food and service.

Write a letter to the restaurant manager. In your letter:

•     Give details of your visit to the restaurant

•     Explain the reason for the celebration

•     Say what you liked about the food or service

Write at least 150 words. You do NOT need to write any addresses.

Begin your letter as follows:

Dear Sir/ Madam,

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing this letter to let you know how pleased I and my friends are after celebrating my friend’s 27th birthday at your restaurant.

By the way, we were planning to celebrate my friend’s birthday at another place, but we had to change our plan at the eleventh hour for some reason. But, after coming to your restaurant and seeing how you have flawlessly planned for the birthday, I am so glad that we actually went to your place.

Anyway, the seating arrangement for so many guests was just perfect. The foods and desserts were just outstanding as they tasted like they were so fresh and right out of the oven. In fact, I would never forget the chewy taste of those mushrooms which were cooked with Italian pasta. And, as for the services, all of your staff members were courteous and professional, and some of them even went out of their ways to write few poetry lines to cheer up our birthday boy.

So, all in all, we all had a great time at your restaurant, and we sure would like to come back again in future.

Yours faithfully,
Shyam Sunder

Practice questions

Question 1

You and your friends ate a meal at a restaurant to celebrate a special occasion, and you were very pleased with the food and service.

Write a letter to the restaurant manager. In your letter:

•     Give details of your visit to the restaurant

•     Explain the reason for the celebration

•     Say what you liked about the food or service

Write at least 150 words. You do NOT need to write any addresses.

Begin your letter as follows:

Dear Sir/ Madam,

 Question 2

You have been invited to attend an admissions interview for a prestigious college. Unfortunately, you cannot come at the proposed time due to a previous appointment.

Write a letter to the admissions tutor and explain your position. In your letter:

•      Introduce yourself and state your interest in the program

•      Apologize and offer to come at a different time

•      Ask how long the interview will be and if you will have to take an exam

Write at least 150 words. You do NOT need to write any addresses.

Begin your letter as follows:

Dear Sir/ Madam,

Question 3

Your local newspaper published an advertisement asking people to offer time for local environmental initiatives in your area.

Write a letter to the project manager to offer your help. In your letter:

•      Describe a local volunteer project that you are passionate about

•      Explain what you would like to do to help

•      Suggest how to gather more support for the cause

Write at least 150 words. You do NOT need to write any addresses.

Begin your letter as follows:

Dear Sir or Madam,

 

 





No comments:

Post a Comment

IELTS Speaking Part III ( 2024/25)

  Part 3 IELTS Speaking Questions  A Challenging Thing You Did What challenges do young people face today? How do (young people) han...