Tuesday, 21 July 2026

IELTS Speaking Part I, II and III: Introduction & Interview

IELTS Speaking Part I, II and III: Introduction & Interview

(Time: 4-5 minutes | The examiner will ask 6-7 questions on familiar topics)

Examiner: Good morning. My name is... Could you please tell me your full name?
Anil: Good morning. My full name is Anil Kumar Sahani.

Examiner: And what should I call you?
Anil: You can call me Anil, please.

Examiner: Where are you from, Anil?
Anil: I was born and raised in Barahathawa Municipality in the Sarlahi District of Madhes Province. However, I currently live in Bharatpur, Chitwan, where I am completing my higher secondary education. It's a beautiful city with a nice blend of urban life and nature.

Examiner: Tell me about the place you currently live in.
Anil: I live in Bharatpur, which is a rapidly growing city in Chitwan. It's quite famous for the Chitwan National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The city has a great energy; it’s modern and has excellent educational institutions. I enjoy the peaceful environment and the view of the mountains on clear days. It’s a perfect place for a student as it is both inspiring and convenient.

Examiner: Let's talk about your hobbies. What do you enjoy doing in your free time?
Anil: I am passionate about several things. My main hobbies are calligraphy and arts. I find it incredibly therapeutic to spend hours perfecting the curves of letters or sketching landscapes. Recently, I've also developed a deep interest in travelling. Exploring new places, whether it's a historical site or a quiet hilltop, gives me a fresh perspective on life and also provides endless inspiration for my artwork.

Examiner: How do you usually spend your weekends?
Anil: My weekends are quite balanced. I dedicate the mornings to revising my biology and physics concepts, as they are crucial for my career. In the afternoons, I often go for a short walk to the local park or visit a friend. In the evenings, I love to unwind by practicing my calligraphy. I usually create a piece of art or write a motivational quote in an elegant script, which helps me relax and prepare for the upcoming week.

Examiner: Why did you choose to study Science, specifically Bio Science?
Anil: I chose Bio Science because I have always been fascinated by the human body and how it functions. The subject allows me to understand the complex systems within us. It is the foundational step towards my ultimate goal of becoming a Radiologist. The blend of physics, chemistry, and biology in this field is intellectually stimulating, and I am genuinely excited about the prospect of using technology to diagnose and help patients.


IELTS Speaking Part II: Individual Long Turn

(Time: 3-4 minutes | You will have 1 minute to prepare and 1-2 minutes to speak)

Examiner: Now, I'd like you to talk about a city or town you would like to visit in the future. You should say:

  • Where it is
  • Why you want to visit it
  • What you would like to do there
  • And explain why this place is special to you.

Anil's Answer:

"Thank you. The city I am absolutely eager to visit is Melbourne, Australia. It's a vibrant coastal city located in the southeastern part of Australia, renowned for its cultural diversity and artistic atmosphere.

My primary motivation to visit Melbourne is its reputation as a global hub for medical research and education. Since I am planning to pursue my further studies in Australia to become a Radiologist, I see Melbourne as the epicenter of where I can achieve my dreams. I've read that it's home to some of the world's leading medical institutions and hospitals, and I want to experience that environment firsthand. It's not just a tourist destination for me; it's a place of aspiration.

If I am fortunate enough to go there, I plan to do more than just see the sights. I would love to take a tour of the prestigious University of Melbourne and its medical facilities. I want to walk around the city and soak in the academic atmosphere. Besides the academic aspect, I'm very keen on visiting the National Gallery of Victoria because of my love for arts. I’d also love to explore the famous laneways known for their street art and cozy cafes, which would be a paradise for someone like me who loves sketching and calligraphy.

This place is incredibly special to me because it symbolizes the future I have been working so hard for. Melbourne represents the intersection of my passion for Science, my goal to become a Radiologist, and my love for art and culture. For a boy from Barahathawa, it seems like a dream city where I can grow, learn, and transform my ambitions into reality. It's a city that promises a new chapter in my life, far from home, where I can shape my career."


IELTS Speaking Part III: Two-way Discussion

(Time: 4-5 minutes | The examiner will ask more abstract questions related to the topic from Part II)

Examiner: We've been talking about visiting places. Let's discuss tourism and travel more generally. How has tourism changed in Nepal in recent years?

Anil: Tourism in Nepal has evolved quite significantly in recent years. While it has always been popular for trekkers and mountaineers, we are now seeing a rise in cultural and eco-tourism. People are more interested in experiencing the local lifestyle and natural beauty beyond the mountains. Furthermore, the use of social media has helped promote off-the-beaten-path destinations. However, the industry is still recovering from the pandemic and is working hard to modernize its infrastructure to attract more international visitors.

Examiner: What are the advantages and disadvantages of a city becoming a popular tourist destination?

Anil: The advantages are immense. Tourism brings significant economic benefits, creating jobs for local people in hospitality, transport, and food services. It also encourages the preservation of historical sites and cultural heritage as they become assets. However, there are notable disadvantages as well. Over-tourism can lead to environmental degradation, damage to historical monuments, and increased traffic. Additionally, it can cause a rise in the cost of living for local residents, pushing them out of the city center.

Examiner: Some people say that to truly understand a country, you need to visit it, rather than just reading about it. Do you agree?

Anil: I completely agree with that. While reading books, articles, or watching documentaries provides a foundation of knowledge, they can't convey the sensory experience of being in a place. When you visit a country, you get to smell the food, hear the local music and language, and, most importantly, interact with the people. These personal interactions and first-hand experiences give you a nuanced understanding of the culture, traditions, and daily life that cannot be fully captured in a text. It's the difference between knowing about something and understanding it.

Examiner: How important is it for students like you to study abroad?

Anil: Studying abroad is incredibly important for students who seek global exposure. In my case, it’s essential to achieve my career goal of becoming a Radiologist, as I can get access to advanced technology and modern teaching methodologies which might not be as readily available here. It also fosters independence and personal growth. Living in a new country challenges you to adapt, solve problems, and become self-reliant. Moreover, you build a global network of friends and colleagues, which is invaluable for your future career.

Examiner: Do you think the younger generation in Nepal is more willing to travel abroad than the previous one?

Anil: I believe there is a noticeable shift in the mindset of our younger generation. We are definitely more willing to travel abroad, primarily for education and career advancement. With better access to the internet and information, we see the vast opportunities available globally. The previous generation often prioritized staying close to family, but we are more ambitious and see the value in venturing out to gain skills and return with more experience. However, it's also true that many of us leave with the intention of eventually coming back to contribute to our country's development.

 

SET 2

IELTS Speaking Part I: Introduction & Interview

Part I (6 Questions)

Examiner: Do you work or are you a student?
Anil: I am currently a student. I have just completed my +2 in Science, specializing in Bio Science, from a college in Bharatpur. Right now, I am in a transitional phase where I am preparing for my English proficiency tests and university applications, because my dream is to pursue a Bachelor's degree in Medical Imaging or Radiography in Australia.

Examiner: What subject do you find most interesting in your studies?
Anil: Without a doubt, Biology is my favorite subject. I am absolutely fascinated by human anatomy and physiology—how our organs function in harmony. However, I also find Physics incredibly interesting, especially the concepts related to radiation and optics. Since I want to become a Radiologist, understanding how X-rays and MRI machines work is crucial, and that blend of biology and physics excites me the most.

Examiner: Do you prefer to study alone or with others?
Anil: I prefer a balanced approach. For subjects that require deep concentration, like memorizing anatomical terms or understanding complex chemical reactions, I prefer to study alone in a quiet environment. However, for problem-solving or discussing difficult topics, I find group study very beneficial. Discussing with peers helps me see different perspectives and clears my doubts much faster than studying by myself.

Examiner: What kind of art do you like to create?
Anil: I am particularly fond of calligraphy and ink sketching. I love experimenting with different scripts, especially Arabic and Devanagari calligraphy, because the strokes are so elegant and expressive. I also enjoy creating detailed pencil sketches of landscapes and portraits. For me, art is not just a hobby; it is a form of meditation that helps me de-stress after long hours of studying science.

Examiner: Have you travelled to any other countries yet?
Anil: Unfortunately, I have not had the opportunity to travel abroad yet. My travels have been limited to different parts of Nepal, such as Pokhara, Lumbini, and the hilly regions of my home district. However, I am very eager to travel internationally, and Australia is at the top of my list. I see it not just as a travel destination but as the place where my academic and professional future will unfold.

Examiner: What do you think you will miss most about Nepal when you go abroad?
Anil: I think I will miss my family the most, especially my parents who have supported my dreams. I will also miss the familiar environment of my hometown—the fresh air, the open spaces, and the simple lifestyle. Nepali food is another thing I will deeply miss, particularly the traditional daal-bhaat and momos. However, I am mentally prepared for this change because I know it is necessary for achieving my career goal.


IELTS Speaking Part II: Individual Long Turn

Part II (Cue Card)

Describe a piece of technology or equipment that is important for your future career.

You should say:

  • What it is
  • How it works (in simple terms)
  • Why it is important for your field
  • And explain how you feel about using it someday.

Anil's Answer (310 words):

"The piece of technology that I find most important for my future career as a Radiologist is the Magnetic Resonance Imaging machine, commonly known as the MRI scanner. This is a sophisticated medical device that uses powerful magnetic fields and radio waves to generate detailed images of the internal structures of the human body, without using any harmful ionizing radiation like X-rays do.

In simple terms, the machine works by aligning the water molecules in our body using a strong magnetic field. Then, it sends radio wave pulses that knock these molecules out of alignment. When the pulses stop, the molecules return to their original position, releasing energy signals. The machine's computer captures these signals and translates them into incredibly clear, cross-sectional images of organs, tissues, and bones. It is fascinating how physics and medicine come together so perfectly in this device.

This equipment is absolutely vital for a Radiologist because it allows us to diagnose a wide range of conditions, from torn ligaments and spinal cord injuries to brain tumors and multiple sclerosis. Without it, many internal abnormalities would remain undetected until they reached a critical stage. It is non-invasive and provides such precise information that doctors can plan surgeries and treatments with great accuracy. For someone like me who studied Bio Science, it represents the pinnacle of medical technology where my passion for human biology meets advanced physics.

Honestly, the thought of operating an MRI machine someday fills me with a sense of awe and responsibility. I feel incredibly excited but also humbled. I know that every scan I take will directly impact a patient's life and diagnosis. I am genuinely looking forward to mastering this technology in Australia, where I will have access to the latest models and training, so I can eventually bring that expertise back to serve people in Nepal."


IELTS Speaking Part III: Two-way Discussion

Part III (5 Questions)

Examiner: What are the most important qualities for a good Radiologist?
Anil: In my opinion, the most important qualities are precision, attention to detail, and patience. A Radiologist must carefully analyze images to spot subtle abnormalities that might be missed by the untrained eye. Since one small oversight can change a diagnosis completely, the ability to concentrate for long hours is crucial. Additionally, empathy is essential because Radiologists often have to deliver difficult news, so they must communicate with compassion while maintaining their professional objectivity.

Examiner: Do you think technology will eventually replace human doctors?
Anil: I don't believe technology will completely replace human doctors, though it will certainly enhance their capabilities. Artificial intelligence can analyze scans and data faster than any human, but it lacks the human touch, intuition, and ethical judgment that are essential in healthcare. A machine can detect a tumor, but it takes a human doctor to break the news sensitively and plan a treatment that considers the patient's emotional and psychological state. Technology should be viewed as a powerful tool, not a replacement.

Examiner: How has medical technology improved in Nepal in the last decade?
Anil: Nepal has made significant progress in medical technology over the past decade. We now have more diagnostic centers offering CT scans and MRI services, especially in major cities like Kathmandu and Pokhara. Telemedicine has also grown, allowing rural patients to consult with specialists without travelling long distances. However, the distribution is still uneven, and many rural areas lack basic equipment. There is also a growing need for trained technicians and Radiologists, which is one reason I want to study abroad and return to help bridge that gap.

Examiner: What role should the government play in making healthcare technology accessible?
Anil: The government has a fundamental responsibility to ensure that healthcare technology is accessible to all citizens, not just those in urban areas. They should invest in upgrading public hospitals with modern equipment and subsidize the cost of expensive scans for low-income families. Additionally, the government should collaborate with international medical institutions for training programs, so we have more skilled professionals. Without active government intervention, advanced healthcare will remain a privilege for the wealthy, which is not fair or sustainable.

Examiner: Why do many Nepali medical students choose to study abroad?
Anil: There are several reasons for this trend. Firstly, the competition for limited seats in medical programs within Nepal is extremely high. Secondly, many students, including myself, seek exposure to modern technology and teaching methodologies that are more advanced in countries like Australia, the USA, or the UK. Studying abroad also offers better research opportunities and international qualifications that are widely recognized. Finally, the clinical experience and hands-on training available overseas are often more comprehensive, which prepares students to be globally competitive professionals.

SET 3

IELTS Speaking Part I: Introduction & Interview

Part I (7 Questions)

Examiner: Where is your hometown, and can you describe it?
Anil: My hometown is Barahathawa, a municipality in the Sarlahi District of Madhes Province. It is a peaceful semi-urban area with a strong agricultural background. Life there is quite slow-paced compared to big cities, and people are very community-oriented. The environment is clean and green, with vast farmlands and a pleasant rural atmosphere. Although I currently live in Bharatpur for my studies, Barahathawa will always hold a special place in my heart as the place where I grew up.

Examiner: What do you like most about your current city, Bharatpur?
Anil: What I like most about Bharatpur is its perfect balance between modern development and natural beauty. The city is growing rapidly but still retains its connection to nature, especially with the nearby Chitwan National Park. I also appreciate the availability of quality educational institutions here. The people are friendly and welcoming, and there are plenty of parks and open spaces where I can go for a walk or practice my calligraphy outdoors, which I find very inspiring.

Examiner: Do you think your hobbies will be useful in your future career?
Anil: Absolutely, I believe my hobbies will be surprisingly useful. For instance, calligraphy requires immense patience, steady hands, and an eye for precision—qualities that are extremely important for a Radiologist who has to interpret subtle details on medical images. My love for arts has also made me more observant and analytical, which helps me notice patterns. Additionally, travelling has broadened my perspective and made me more adaptable, which will be crucial when I move to Australia for my studies.

Examiner: What type of music do you enjoy?
Anil: I enjoy listening to instrumental music, especially classical Nepali instrumental pieces and Western classical music. I find that music without lyrics helps me concentrate better while I am studying complex scientific topics. I also love soothing melodies that help me relax after a long day of classes. Occasionally, I enjoy Nepali folk songs, as they connect me to my cultural roots and remind me of my hometown.

Examiner: Do you prefer to spend your holidays in the city or in nature?
Anil: I definitely prefer spending my holidays in nature. Being in a natural environment, like a hill station or a quiet riverside, helps me recharge mentally and physically. It also gives me a chance to sketch landscapes and practice my art in a peaceful setting. While cities are convenient, they can be noisy and overwhelming. Nature provides the tranquility I need to reflect on my goals and prepare for the challenges of my studies and future career.

Examiner: Are you a morning person or a night owl?
Anil: I consider myself a morning person. I find that my mind is the sharpest and most focused in the early hours, which is when I do my most productive studying. I usually wake up around 5:30 AM, do some light exercise, and then review my biology notes. Mornings are also my favorite time for creative activities like sketching, because the sunlight is perfect and the world is quiet and peaceful.

Examiner: What is the most challenging part of being a student?
Anil: I think the most challenging part is maintaining a balance between academic pressures and personal well-being. The science curriculum is very demanding, and there are times when I feel overwhelmed by the sheer volume of information I need to memorize. Additionally, managing time effectively—between studying, practicing my art, and staying healthy—is a constant struggle. However, I have learned that discipline and a clear vision of my goal as a Radiologist help me push through these challenges.


IELTS Speaking Part II: Individual Long Turn

Part II (Cue Card)

Describe a person who has inspired you in your academic journey.

You should say:

  • Who the person is
  • How you know him/her
  • What qualities he/she has
  • And explain how this person has influenced your career choice.

Anil's Answer (315 words):

"The person who has inspired me most in my academic journey is my high school biology teacher, Mr. Rajesh Sharma. He was my teacher during my 11th and 12th grades, and he is the primary reason I became so passionate about the medical field and eventually decided to pursue a career as a Radiologist.

I first met him on the very first day of my +1 classes, and from the beginning, he had a unique way of teaching that made even the most complex biological concepts seem simple and fascinating. He would often use real-life examples and share stories from his own experiences working in a hospital laboratory, which made the subject come alive for us students.

Mr. Sharma possesses several remarkable qualities. First and foremost, he has an extraordinary ability to simplify difficult topics like genetics and human physiology, breaking them down into digestible parts. He is also incredibly patient and approachable, always staying after class to answer our endless questions without showing any irritation. More importantly, he has a deep sense of empathy and always encouraged us to view patients as humans, not just medical cases. His passion for teaching and his genuine care for his students left a lasting impression on me.

This inspiring teacher has profoundly influenced my career choice. He was the one who first introduced me to the field of radiology during a discussion about medical imaging technologies. He explained how Radiologists use physics and technology to see inside the human body without surgery, which completely captured my imagination. He also encouraged me to combine my analytical mind with my artistic eye, saying that a good Radiologist needs both logic and observation skills. His mentorship made me realize that medicine is not just a profession but a service, and his belief in my potential gave me the confidence to dream of studying in Australia. I am incredibly grateful for his guidance, and I hope to make him proud one day."


IELTS Speaking Part III: Two-way Discussion

Part III (4 Questions)

Examiner: What makes a good teacher in your opinion?
Anil: In my opinion, a good teacher is someone who can inspire curiosity rather than just deliver information. They should have deep subject knowledge, but more importantly, they must be able to communicate that knowledge in a way that resonates with students. Patience and empathy are also crucial, as every student learns at a different pace. Additionally, a great teacher acts as a mentor, guiding students not just academically but also personally, helping them discover their own strengths and career paths, just as my biology teacher did for me.

Examiner: Do you think teachers should be replaced by digital learning platforms?
Anil: I strongly disagree with that notion. Digital learning platforms are excellent supplementary tools, but they cannot replace the human connection that teachers provide. A teacher can read a student's body language, understand when they are struggling, and offer customized support. They can also motivate students when they feel demotivated and provide real-world context that a pre-recorded video cannot. The emotional support and mentorship that a teacher offers are irreplaceable, especially in a challenging field like medicine.

Examiner: How important is practical experience compared to theoretical knowledge?
Anil: Both are equally important, but I believe practical experience is what transforms a student into a competent professional. Theoretical knowledge provides the foundation, but without practical application, it remains abstract. For example, I can read about how an MRI machine works, but until I actually operate one, I won't truly understand its nuances. Practical experience builds confidence, problem-solving skills, and clinical judgment, which are essential for a Radiologist. That's why I am so keen on studying abroad, where practical training is a major part of the curriculum.

Examiner: What role do parents play in a child's education?
Anil: Parents play a foundational role in a child's education. They are the first teachers and set the tone for a child's attitude towards learning. By providing a supportive home environment, encouraging curiosity, and emphasizing the value of education, parents can instill a lifelong love for learning. My own parents have sacrificed a lot to support my education, and their belief in me has been a constant source of motivation. Parents also play a crucial role in guiding career choices, but they should do so by encouraging their children's passions rather than imposing their own expectations.

SET 4

IELTS Speaking Part I: Introduction & Interview

Part I (7 Questions)

Examiner: What is your daily routine like?
Anil: My daily routine is quite structured. I wake up early at around 5:30 AM and start my day with some light exercise and meditation to clear my mind. Then, I study for about two hours before breakfast, focusing on my weakest subjects. After my classes at college, I spend the late afternoon revising and practicing past exam questions. In the evening, I take a break to practice calligraphy or sketching for about an hour. I try to go to bed by 10 PM to ensure I get enough rest.

Examiner: Do you like cooking?
Anil: I do enjoy cooking occasionally, though I am not an expert. I find it to be a creative and relaxing activity, much like my art. I can prepare basic Nepali dishes like daal-bhaat and simple vegetable curries. Cooking also reminds me of my mother's kitchen back in Barahathawa, and it gives me a sense of independence. Since I plan to live abroad in Australia, I know that being able to cook will be a valuable skill for managing my daily life and budget.

Examiner: What is your favorite season and why?
Anil: My favorite season is autumn, which is called 'Sharad' in Nepali. The weather is perfect during this time—not too hot and not too cold. The skies are crystal clear, offering stunning views of the Himalayan mountains, even from Bharatpur. The environment feels fresh and vibrant, which makes it ideal for outdoor activities and travelling. As someone who loves arts and sketching, autumn provides the most beautiful natural lighting and scenery, which always inspires my creative side.

Examiner: Do you think social media is helpful for students?
Anil: Social media can be a double-edged sword for students. On one hand, it is incredibly helpful for networking, sharing study resources, and joining educational groups where students discuss difficult topics. Platforms like YouTube have excellent tutorials on scientific concepts. On the other hand, it can be a major distraction if not used responsibly. I personally limit my social media usage to academic purposes and avoid mindless scrolling, as I am aware of how easily it can waste valuable study time.

Examiner: What languages do you speak?
Anil: I speak three languages fluently. My mother tongue is Maithili, which I speak at home with my family. I am also fluent in Nepali, which is the national language and is widely used in education and daily communication. Additionally, I have a good command of English, which is essential for my academic pursuits and my goal of studying abroad. I am continuously working on improving my English, especially my speaking and writing skills, to prepare for the IELTS exam and my future in Australia.

Examiner: Do you have any pets?
Anil: Unfortunately, I do not have any pets right now because my current accommodation in Bharatpur does not allow them. However, I absolutely love animals. Back in my hometown, my family has a dog and a few chickens. I find animals very comforting and therapeutic. In fact, I enjoy sketching animals in my art, and I believe that the patience and empathy I have for animals are qualities that will also help me in my medical career, as treating patients requires similar compassion.

Examiner: What is the first thing you do when you wake up?
Anil: The very first thing I do after waking up is drink a glass of warm water, which I believe is good for my health. Then, I spend about five minutes doing some simple stretches to wake up my body. After that, I sit quietly for a few moments to mentally plan my day. I find that starting my day with calmness and intention helps me stay focused and productive throughout the day, especially when I have to tackle challenging subjects like physics and biology.


IELTS Speaking Part II: Individual Long Turn

Part II (Cue Card)

Describe a place in Nepal that you would recommend to a foreign tourist.

You should say:

  • Where it is
  • What it is famous for
  • What activities one can do there
  • And explain why you would recommend it.

Anil's Answer (305 words):

"The place in Nepal that I would highly recommend to any foreign tourist is Pokhara, a beautiful lake city situated in the central part of Nepal, about 200 kilometers west of Kathmandu. It is nestled at the foot of the Annapurna mountain range and offers some of the most breathtaking views in the entire world.

Pokhara is most famous for its stunning natural beauty, particularly the serene Phewa Lake, which reflects the majestic Machhapuchhare mountain, also known as the 'Fishtail' peak. The city is also known as the gateway to the famous Annapurna Circuit trek, making it a paradise for adventure lovers and nature enthusiasts. Additionally, Pokhara is home to the World Peace Pagoda, a massive Buddhist stupa that sits on a hilltop offering panoramic views of the city and the mountains.

There are countless activities that tourists can enjoy in Pokhara. Adventure seekers can go paragliding over the lake, boating, or even ultra-light aircraft flying to get a bird's-eye view of the Himalayas. For those who prefer a more relaxed pace, you can take a boat ride on Phewa Lake, visit the Tal Barahi Temple located on an island in the lake, or explore the fascinating caves like Gupteshwor Cave and Bat Cave. The lakeside area is also filled with cozy cafes, restaurants, and shops where visitors can enjoy delicious food and buy local handicrafts.

I would strongly recommend Pokhara because it has something for everyone. Whether you are an adrenaline junkie, a nature lover, or someone seeking spiritual peace, Pokhara delivers it all. The city has a unique, soothing vibe that is hard to find elsewhere. As someone who loves art and travelling, I find Pokhara incredibly inspiring—the interplay of light on the mountains and lake is a sight that no photograph can truly capture. It is a place that rejuvenates the soul and leaves you with memories that last a lifetime. For any tourist visiting Nepal, missing Pokhara would be a great loss."


IELTS Speaking Part III: Two-way Discussion

Part III (4 Questions)

Examiner: How does tourism benefit Nepal's economy?
Anil: Tourism is one of the largest contributors to Nepal's economy. It generates substantial foreign exchange earnings, which help strengthen our national currency and balance of payments. The industry creates direct employment for thousands of people in sectors like hospitality, guiding, transportation, and handicrafts. Additionally, tourism stimulates investment in infrastructure, such as roads, airports, and hotels, which benefits the wider population. The money spent by tourists also supports local communities, particularly in rural areas where trekking is popular, thereby reducing poverty and encouraging sustainable development.

Examiner: Are there any negative impacts of tourism on the environment?
Anil: Unfortunately, yes. Unregulated tourism can cause significant environmental degradation. In Nepal, popular trekking routes like the Everest Base Camp trail have suffered from waste accumulation, including plastic bottles and non-biodegradable trash. Deforestation for firewood and construction of lodges is another concern. Even water bodies in tourist areas can become polluted. However, there is growing awareness, and many organizations are now promoting eco-tourism and 'leave no trace' policies. With proper management, education, and government regulations, these negative impacts can be minimized.

Examiner: How can we promote sustainable tourism in Nepal?
Anil: Promoting sustainable tourism requires a multi-pronged approach. Firstly, we need to educate tourists about respecting local cultures and the environment before they even arrive. Secondly, the government should enforce strict regulations on waste management in trekking areas, like providing bins and encouraging the use of reusable water bottles. Investment in renewable energy sources for hotels and lodges is another step. We should also promote lesser-known destinations to prevent overcrowding in popular spots. Finally, involving local communities in tourism planning ensures that the benefits are shared and that they become active protectors of their natural heritage.

Examiner: Why do you think young Nepali people are increasingly interested in travelling?
Anil: Young Nepali people are more interested in travelling today because we have greater exposure to the world through the internet and social media. We see pictures and stories of distant places and develop a curiosity to experience them ourselves. Additionally, there is a growing culture of backpacking and budget travel, which makes it more accessible. Beyond leisure, many of us travel for education and career advancement, as we understand the value of international exposure. Travelling also helps us broaden our horizons, become more independent, and gain a global perspective, which is essential in today's interconnected world.


SET 5

IELTS Speaking Part I: Introduction & Interview

Part I (6 Questions)

Examiner: What kind of books do you like to read?
Anil: I enjoy reading a mix of genres. For my studies, I primarily read science textbooks and medical journals to keep up with advancements in radiology. However, for pleasure, I love reading biographies of famous scientists and doctors. I find their life stories incredibly motivating. Recently, I also started reading books on art history and calligraphy techniques to refine my skills. I believe that reading widely helps me develop a well-rounded personality, which is important for someone who wants to work in the medical field.

Examiner: Do you like to watch movies? What genre do you prefer?
Anil: Yes, I enjoy watching movies, although I have limited time for it these days. I particularly like medical dramas and documentaries because they give me a glimpse into the real-world challenges and triumphs of healthcare professionals. I also enjoy watching animated films, which I appreciate for their artistic value—the attention to detail in animation inspires my own calligraphy and sketching. Watching movies in English has also helped me improve my language skills, which is beneficial for my IELTS preparation and my future in Australia.

Examiner: What sports do you like to play or watch?
Anil: I am not a very athletic person, but I do enjoy playing badminton occasionally with my friends. It is a fun way to stay active and take a break from studying. I also love watching cricket, especially when Nepal plays against major international teams. The sense of national pride and excitement during these matches is infectious. Although sports are not my main passion, I understand the importance of physical activity for maintaining good health and concentration, especially for a demanding career like radiology.

Examiner: How do you usually celebrate your birthday?
Anil: I usually celebrate my birthday in a simple but meaningful way. Since my birthday is on 28 February, which is also Nepal's National Democracy Day, it feels special. I typically spend the morning with my family, having a special breakfast and receiving their blessings. In the evening, I meet a few close friends, and we go out for a meal together. I don't like big parties; instead, I prefer quiet celebrations where I can reflect on the past year and set goals for the next one. This year, my goal is to secure my admission to an Australian university.

Examiner: Do you think it's important to have a hobby?
Anil: Absolutely, I think having a hobby is crucial for mental well-being. In a competitive academic environment, hobbies like my calligraphy and art serve as a much-needed escape. They help reduce stress, improve focus, and provide a sense of accomplishment outside of academics. Moreover, hobbies can develop skills that are transferable to other areas of life. For instance, my calligraphy has taught me patience and precision, which are essential for the meticulous work of a Radiologist. Everyone should have at least one passion that brings them joy.

Examiner: What do you think about the future of medical technology?
Anil: I believe the future of medical technology is incredibly promising. We are already seeing advancements in artificial intelligence that can analyze medical images faster and with greater accuracy than ever before. In the future, I expect we will see more portable and affordable diagnostic devices, making healthcare accessible even in remote areas like my hometown. I also foresee significant progress in personalized medicine, where treatments are tailored to an individual's genetic makeup. As a future Radiologist, I am excited to be part of this revolutionary era and contribute to making healthcare more efficient and effective.


IELTS Speaking Part II: Individual Long Turn

Part II (Cue Card)

Describe a skill you have learned that you think will be helpful in the future.

You should say:

  • What the skill is
  • How you learned it
  • Why you think it will be helpful
  • And explain how you plan to use this skill in your future career.

Anil's Answer (320 words):

"The skill I have learned that I believe will be immensely helpful in the future is the art of calligraphy. Calligraphy is the visual art of writing, where each letter is carefully crafted using specific tools like fountain pens, brushes, and ink, with immense attention to detail and aesthetic composition.

I learned calligraphy mostly by self-study during my free time. It started during the lockdown period when I was looking for a creative outlet to cope with the stress of online classes. I began watching YouTube tutorials and following Instagram calligraphy artists. I invested in a starter kit of pens and paper and started practicing basic strokes for hours daily. Gradually, I moved on to letters, words, and eventually full quotes. I also learned different scripts, including modern brush lettering and traditional Devanagari, which is my native script. It took nearly a year of consistent practice to become reasonably skilled.

I believe this skill will be highly valuable for several reasons. Firstly, calligraphy has trained my hand to be incredibly steady and precise, requiring the same fine motor control that a Radiologist needs when operating delicate medical equipment or interpreting subtle details on an MRI or CT scan. Secondly, it has enhanced my visual observation skills—I now notice the smallest asymmetries and imperfections, which will help me identify anomalies in medical images. Thirdly, patience is a fundamental requirement for both calligraphy and radiology; I have learned to slow down and focus deeply on a single task.

In my future career as a Radiologist, I plan to use these skills to excel in my profession. The manual dexterity and hand-eye coordination I have developed will help me perform procedures like ultrasound-guided biopsies with greater accuracy. Moreover, the art of observation and attention to detail is the very essence of diagnostic radiology. I also plan to use my calligraphy to create beautiful, calming art for hospital waiting rooms, as I believe that a healing environment can positively impact patient recovery. Ultimately, this hobby has shaped my character and prepared me for the demands of my dream profession."


IELTS Speaking Part III: Two-way Discussion

Part III (5 Questions)

Examiner: What types of skills are most important for young people to learn today?
Anil: I believe that both hard skills and soft skills are essential. Hard skills like technological literacy, critical thinking, and problem-solving are crucial because the world is becoming increasingly digital and complex. However, soft skills like communication, empathy, and adaptability are equally, if not more, important. In a globalized world, young people need to work with diverse teams and navigate cultural differences. Emotional intelligence helps in managing stress and building meaningful relationships. For my own career as a Radiologist, clinical skills are vital, but so is the ability to communicate with anxious patients and colleagues effectively.

Examiner: Do you think schools should teach practical skills along with academic subjects?
Anil: Absolutely, I strongly believe that schools should integrate practical life skills into the curriculum. While academic subjects provide the theoretical foundation, practical skills like financial literacy, public speaking, first aid, and time management prepare students for real-world challenges. In Nepal, the education system is often theory-heavy, and many students graduate without knowing how to write a formal email or manage their personal finances. A balanced approach would produce more capable, confident, and well-rounded individuals who are ready to contribute to society from day one.

Examiner: How important is continuous learning in the medical profession?
Anil: In the medical profession, continuous learning is not just important; it is absolutely mandatory. Medicine and medical technology are evolving at an astonishing pace. New research, improved diagnostic techniques, and advanced treatment options are being introduced every year. A Radiologist who does not stay updated would be doing a disservice to their patients. Continuous learning ensures that professionals provide the best, most evidence-based care. This is one of the reasons I am so excited about studying in Australia, as I will be exposed to cutting-edge research and a culture that values lifelong professional development.

Examiner: Can skills like patience and empathy be taught, or are they natural?
Anil: I believe that while some people may have a natural inclination towards patience and empathy, these qualities can definitely be nurtured and taught through experience and intentional practice. For example, volunteering in community service or spending time with elderly people can cultivate empathy. Similarly, practicing mindfulness and engaging in activities like calligraphy, as I do, can teach patience. Medical schools are increasingly incorporating communication and empathy training into their curricula because they recognize that these skills are crucial for patient care and can indeed be developed over time.

Examiner: What is the impact of technology on skill development?
Anil: Technology has had a profound impact on skill development, both positive and negative. On the positive side, it has democratized learning. Anyone with an internet connection can now access high-quality courses, tutorials, and resources to learn almost any skill, from medical imaging to calligraphy. I myself learned calligraphy through online videos. On the negative side, excessive reliance on technology can reduce face-to-face interaction skills and the ability to think critically without digital assistance. Young people often struggle with attention spans due to constant notifications. The key is to use technology as a tool for learning while also maintaining the human touch in education and professional life.


SET 6

IELTS Speaking Part I: Introduction & Interview

Part I (7 Questions)

Examiner: Do you have a large family or a small one?
Anil: I come from a close-knit, moderately sized family. I live with my parents, my two younger siblings, and my grandmother. We have a warm and supportive family environment where everyone looks out for each other. Despite being from a semi-urban area, my family has always prioritized education, and they have made many sacrifices to ensure I receive the best possible opportunities. My extended family is also quite large, with many uncles, aunts, and cousins living nearby, so family gatherings are always lively and full of fun.

Examiner: What do you like to do with your family?
Anil: I really enjoy spending quality time with my family. One of our favorite activities is sitting together for meals, especially on weekends, where we share stories from our week and enjoy traditional Nepali dishes. I also love helping my mother with small household chores and teaching my younger siblings their schoolwork. Sometimes, we watch Nepali movies or religious programs together. These simple moments bring us closer and remind me of the strong support system I have, which gives me the confidence to pursue my dream of studying in Australia.

Examiner: Who is your best friend, and why?
Anil: My best friend is a classmate named Suman from my +2 college. We became friends because we shared a desk on the first day and discovered that we had similar ambitions—he also wants to pursue a career in healthcare. What makes our friendship special is that we motivate each other. When one of us is feeling demotivated or stressed about exams, the other provides encouragement. We also study together and challenge each other to improve. Suman has been a constant source of support, and I know that even when I move to Australia, we will stay connected.

Examiner: How do you usually travel around your city?
Anil: In Bharatpur, I usually get around by using local micro-buses and rickshaws, as they are the most common and affordable modes of public transport. For shorter distances, I prefer walking because it is healthier and allows me to observe the city's daily life. Occasionally, I use a bicycle to commute to my college, which is very convenient and environmentally friendly. The city is not too large, so navigating it is quite easy, and I enjoy the sense of independence that comes with moving around on my own.

Examiner: Do you prefer living in a house or an apartment?
Anil: I prefer living in a house because it offers more space and privacy. Currently, I live in a rented house with my family in Bharatpur, and I love that we have a small garden where I can sit and practice my art. Houses also provide a sense of community, as you get to know your neighbors better. However, I understand that when I go to Australia for my studies, I will likely have to live in a dormitory or a shared apartment. I am prepared for that change and see it as part of the exciting new experience of living abroad.

Examiner: What is your favorite food?
Anil: My absolute favorite food is 'momo', which are Nepali-style dumplings filled with spiced meat or vegetables. I love them because they are so flavorful and comforting. However, I also have a deep love for my mother's cooking, particularly her 'daal-bhaat' with 'ghee' and 'achar' (lentil soup with rice, clarified butter, and pickles). It is the ultimate comfort food for me and reminds me of home. I know that when I am in Australia, I will miss these flavors tremendously, so I plan to learn how to cook them myself.

Examiner: What is your opinion on online education?
Anil: I believe online education is a highly valuable tool, especially for students in remote areas who lack access to quality institutions. It offers flexibility, a wide range of courses, and the opportunity to learn from international experts. During the pandemic, I experienced online classes, and while they were convenient, I realized they could not fully replicate the engagement of in-person learning. Practical subjects like science, where lab work is essential, are particularly challenging to teach online. I think a blended approach—combining online theory with in-person practicals—is the most effective model for the future.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

PTE Sample Script with Answers Using Templates

PTE Sample Script with Answers Using Templates SUMMARIZE WRITTEN TEXT Sample Passage: "Climate change is one of the most pressing...