150 Additional Sample Questions & Answers for Malta Pre-Departure Course (Phase 1 & 2)
How to Use These Additional Questions
This
document expands your preparation with 150 new questions
covering more detailed aspects of the Pre-Departure Course syllabus. Use these
alongside the original 100 questions for comprehensive preparation.
- Questions
101-130: Deeper dive into
Living and Working in Malta
- Questions
131-160: Advanced Workplace
Rights & Obligations
- Questions
161-200: Phase 2 Interview
Scenarios & Practical Applications
- Questions
201-250: Cultural
Integration, Language, and Legal Knowledge
SECTION 4: ADVANCED LIVING AND WORKING IN MALTA (Questions 101-130)
Q101. What is the "Skills Pass" and who
needs it?
Answer:
The Skills Pass is a sector-specific certification required for certain
occupations, primarily in Tourism and Hospitality. It includes additional
online modules and assessments beyond the Pre-Departure Course.
Q102. If you are applying to work in the tourism
sector, what additional requirements must you complete?
Answer:
In addition to the Pre-Departure Course, you must complete the second part of
the Skills Pass linked to that sector, which includes additional online modules
and assessments.
Q103. What is the purpose of the Phase 2 interview?
Answer:
The Phase 2 interview verifies your English language proficiency and confirms
your understanding of the course content. It checks that you are actually ready
for the role you've been hired for.
Q104. How long is the Phase 2 interview?
Answer:
The Phase 2 interview is a 20-30 minute live interview conducted online or
in-person at a VFS centre.
Q105. What is the total cost of the Pre-Departure
Course?
Answer:
The total cost is €250, which breaks down as €245 for the course itself and a
€5 booking fee for the Phase 2 interview.
Q106. What happens if you fail an assessment?
Answer:
Candidates have 2 free trials. If you fail both times, you would need to pay
for a third attempt. If you also fail on the third attempt, you will be blocked
from the system for a month and would need to pay the same fee again.
Q107. Can Phase 2 be done before completing Phase 1?
Answer:
No, Phase 2 must be done after Phase 1 is completed. Bookings for Phase 2 are
made through the portal after successful completion of Phase 1.
Q108. What is the "Suitability Check"
conducted by Jobsplus?
Answer:
The Suitability Check is an additional requirement where all applicants must
provide documentation in specific categories to Jobsplus. They may request
further documentation as necessary.
Q109. What are the consequences for employers who
breach workers' rights?
Answer:
Employers found to have breached workers' rights may be disqualified from
applying for third-country workers. Fines for employment law breaches have
increased from €232-€2,329 to €2,000-€5,000.
Q110. What is the new requirement for payment of wages
to TCNs?
Answer:
For employment relationships commencing after 1st October 2025, wages earned by
TCNs must be paid exclusively by bank transfer to an account held in the
employee's name or through an electronic transfer facilitated by an accredited
financial institution.
Q111. What is urgent family leave entitlement in
Malta?
Answer:
Employees are entitled to 32 hours of urgent family leave per year (increased
from 15 hours), effective 4th April 2025.
Q112. What is the prescriptive period for bringing
claims under EIRA?
Answer:
The prescriptive period for prosecuting offences under the Employment and
Industrial Relations Act (EIRA) has been extended from one year to two years
after the alleged infringement.
Q113. What rights do job applicants have regarding pay
information?
Answer:
Job applicants have the right to receive information about the initial pay (or
its range) for the position before the actual start of employment. Where a
collective agreement applies, they must receive the relevant pay provisions.
Q114. What rights do workers have to request pay
information?
Answer:
All workers have the right to request their individual pay level and the pay
levels for categories of workers performing the same work. This information
must be provided within a reasonable time, not exceeding two months.
Q115. Where are Phase 2 interviews conducted?
Answer:
Interviews are conducted at ITS Malta, at an authorised Global Assessment
Centre, or at the nearest VFS Centre worldwide.
Q116. What is the "A Holistic Programme for
Immigrants' Integration"?
Answer:
This is a broader integration course for TCNs already working in Malta,
covering 20 different modules focusing on Maltese history, integrating into
society, Maltese law, renting, budgeting, digital literacy, and language
lessons.
Q117. How long is the broader integration course for
TCNs?
Answer:
The course has a duration of 40-42 hours and contains both in-person and online
components.
Q118. Who needs to take the broader integration
course?
Answer:
TCNs who wish to renew their work permit for more than one year will need to
take part in this course.
Q119. What topics are covered in the broader
integration course?
Answer:
Topics include Maltese culture and traditions, civic participation, legal and
safety awareness, personal and professional development, language learning
(English and Maltese), personal budgeting, Malta's democracy and institutional
framework, and rights and responsibilities as tenants.
Q120. What is the Employment and Industrial Relations
Act (EIRA)?
Answer:
EIRA (Chapter 452 of the Laws of Malta) is the primary legislation governing
employment relationships in Malta, defining employee rights and employer
obligations.
Q121. How is an "employee" defined under
Maltese law?
Answer:
An employee is defined as "any person who has entered into or works under
a contract of service, or any person who has undertaken personally to execute
any work or service for, and under the immediate direction and control of
another person".
Q122. What are the three categories of employees in
Malta?
Answer:
Employees may be classified into three categories: full-time workers, full-time
workers on reduced hours, and part-time workers (including casual workers).
Q123. What is a Wage Regulation Order (WRO)?
Answer:
WROs are sector-specific regulations that establish minimum wages, overtime
rates, special allowances, and leave entitlements for specific industries such
as wholesale and retail, public transport, construction, and hospitality.
Q124. What does the "Transparent and Predictable
Working Conditions Regulations" require?
Answer:
These regulations grant rights to job applicants to receive pay information
before starting employment and allow workers to request their pay level and
comparative pay levels for similar roles.
Q125. How does Malta ensure workers understand their
rights?
Answer:
The Pre-Departure Course covers rights and obligations at the workplace, and
the government has strengthened enforcement against worker exploitation with
measures including disqualifying employers who breach workers' rights.
Q126. What is the benefit of completing the
Pre-Departure Course for permit duration?
Answer:
Workers who demonstrate investment in skills, high-level competencies, or
specialised training may be considered for longer residence permits of two or
three years, providing greater stability.
Q127. What is the "Skills Pass Portal"?
Answer:
The Skills Pass Portal is the online platform where candidates complete the
entire Pre-Departure Course process, including modules, assessments, and Phase
2 interview booking.
Q128. Who manages the Pre-Departure Course system?
Answer:
The course is administered through the Skills Pass system. Part 1 (National
integration requirements) and Part 2 (Sector-specific skills validation) are
managed through the official portal.
Q129. What is Identity Malta's role in the
Pre-Departure Course?
Answer:
Identity Malta (Identità) is responsible for verifying Pre-Departure Course
Certificates as part of the work permit process. From 1 March 2026, they only
consider applications from individuals who have successfully completed the
course and assessment.
Q130. When did the Pre-Departure Course become mandatory?
Answer:
The Pre-Departure Portal opened on 5 January 2026. From 1 March 2026, Identity
Malta started verifying certificates as part of the work permit process.
SECTION 5: ADVANCED WORKPLACE RIGHTS & OBLIGATIONS (Questions 131-160)
Q131. What is the difference between an employee and a
self-employed person under Maltese law?
Answer:
An employee works under a contract of service with immediate direction and
control of another person. Self-employed individuals work in a professional
capacity or as contractors without a specific contract of service.
Q132. What is a "full-time worker on reduced
hours"?
Answer:
This is a category of employee who works fewer than standard full-time hours
but is still considered a full-time worker under Maltese employment law
classification.
Q133. What is the legal basis for equal pay in Malta?
Answer:
The Employment and Industrial Relations Act (EIRA) contains rights and
obligations on discrimination and equal pay that apply across all industries
and sectors.
Q134. What is the maximum fine for employers who
violate employment conditions?
Answer:
Employers who violate recognised conditions of employment face fines ranging
from €2,000 to €5,000. For repeat offenders, fines increase to a minimum of
€5,000 and may reach up to €7,000.
Q135. How are wages legally required to be paid?
Answer:
Wages must be paid in money being legal tender in Malta (Euros). Payment by
cheque or to a bank account is considered payment in legal tender where
customary, necessary, or consented to by the employee.
Q136. What specific wage payment requirements apply to
TCNs?
Answer:
For TCNs whose employment commenced on or after 1st October 2025, wages must be
paid exclusively by bank transfer to an account held in the employee's name.
Q137. What is the "Protection of Wages"
principle under Maltese law?
Answer:
The EIRA contains provisions on the protection of wages, ensuring employees
receive their entitled pay and preventing unlawful deductions.
Q138. What rules apply to termination of employment?
Answer:
The EIRA establishes rules on termination that apply across all industries,
including notice periods and grounds for dismissal.
Q139. What is "indirect discrimination" in
the workplace?
Answer:
Indirect discrimination occurs when a seemingly neutral policy, criterion, or
practice puts persons with a protected characteristic at a particular
disadvantage compared with other persons.
Q140. What is the duty of an employer regarding pay
transparency?
Answer:
Employers must provide information about initial pay or its range to job
applicants before employment starts. Employers governed by collective
agreements must provide relevant pay provisions to applicants.
Q141. Can an employer request financial compensation
from a worker related to recruitment or termination?
Answer:
No, employers may not receive any financial compensation from workers in
relation to recruitment or termination. This would be in breach of the law.
Q142. What is "victimisation" in the context
of discrimination complaints?
Answer:
Victimisation occurs when an employer subjects an employee to a detriment
because the employee has made a complaint about discrimination or supported
someone else's complaint.
Q143. What is the role of the Employment and
Industrial Relations Act regarding employees?
Answer:
The EIRA defines employee status, establishes rights and obligations, regulates
working conditions, termination rules, discrimination, equal pay, and provides
a framework for employment relations.
Q144. What are sector-specific Wage Regulation Orders?
Answer:
WROs are regulations that apply to specific sectors/industries, establishing
minimum wages, overtime rates, special allowances, and leave entitlements
unique to those sectors.
Q145. Which sectors have Wage Regulation Orders?
Answer:
Sectors with WROs include wholesale and retail, public transport, cinemas and
theatres, printing and publishing, construction, allied industry, and
hospitality (hotel and club management).
Q146. What is the definition of "worker"
under Maltese law?
Answer:
The term "workers" broadly incorporates employees, agency workers,
contract staff, and self-employed persons who are contingent on a single
employer.
Q147. What is the legal requirement for an employer to
provide a written statement of employment terms?
Answer:
Employers must provide a written statement of the main terms within one month
of employment start date.
Q148. Can an employer be disqualified from hiring TCN
workers?
Answer:
Yes, Maltese authorities have the power to disqualify employers from applying
for third-country workers if they are found to have breached workers' rights.
Q149. What is the "suitability check"
conducted by Jobsplus?
Answer:
All applicants undergo a Suitability Check where they must provide
documentation in specific categories. Jobsplus may request any further
documentation as necessary.
Q150. How does the Pre-Departure Course protect
workers' rights?
Answer:
The course ensures workers understand their rights and obligations before
arriving in Malta, reducing labour exploitation and promoting lawful employment
relationships.
SECTION 6: PHASE 2 INTERVIEW SCENARIOS (Questions 151-200)
Q151. Scenario: The interviewer asks you to describe a
typical day in your previous job. How do you respond?
Answer:
I would describe my daily routine clearly and honestly: "In my previous
role as [job
title], I would start my day by [specific tasks]. My main
responsibilities included [key duties]. I worked as part of a
team where we [team activities]. I would end my
day by [closing
tasks]."
Q152. Scenario: The interviewer asks about a time you
had to deal with a difficult customer or client. What do you say?
Answer:
"I remember a customer who was unhappy with [situation]. I listened carefully
to their concerns without interrupting. I apologised for their inconvenience
and explained what I could do to help. I offered [solution] and followed up to
ensure they were satisfied. The customer appreciated my patience and left
feeling heard."
Q153. Scenario: You are asked "What do you know
about Maltese culture?" How do you answer?
Answer:
"I know that Malta has a rich history influenced by the Knights of St.
John. The culture is very family-oriented, and religion plays an important
role, with many village feasts called 'festas' celebrated throughout the year. The
people are known for being warm and hospitable. I also know that Maltese and
English are the two official languages."
Q154. Scenario: The interviewer asks about your
understanding of Maltese employment law. What do you say?
Answer:
"I understand that Maltese employment law is governed by the Employment
and Industrial Relations Act. This covers important areas like working hours
(maximum 40 hours per week), annual leave entitlement (24 days), minimum wage,
and health and safety requirements. I also know that the Department of
Industrial and Employment Relations (DIER) handles employment disputes."
Q155. Scenario: You are asked "How would you
handle a disagreement with your supervisor?"
Answer:
"I would first ensure I fully understand their perspective by asking
clarifying questions. I would express my concerns respectfully, explaining my
reasoning calmly. If we couldn't agree, I would accept their final decision as
the supervisor and continue to do my work professionally. I believe in
maintaining a respectful working relationship."
Q156. Scenario: The interviewer asks "What would
you do if you witnessed a colleague being treated unfairly?"
Answer:
"I would first speak to my colleague privately to offer support and ask if
they want help. I would encourage them to report the situation to HR or a union
representative. I would offer to be a witness if they decide to make a formal
complaint. I believe it's important to stand up against unfair treatment."
Q157. Scenario: You are asked "What do you
understand about workplace health and safety in Malta?"
Answer:
"I understand that employers must carry out risk assessments and provide
safety training. Employees must follow safety procedures and report hazards
immediately. The Occupational Health and Safety Authority (OHSA) enforces these
standards. In an emergency, I would use the nearest fire exit, not use the
lift, and go to the assembly point."
Q158. Scenario: The interviewer asks "What would
you do if you were unable to come to work due to illness?"
Answer:
"I would contact my supervisor as early as possible, ideally before my
shift starts. I would explain that I'm unwell and unable to work. I would ask
about the company's sick leave procedure, such as whether I need to provide a
medical certificate. I would also inform them about any urgent tasks that need
coverage."
Q159. Scenario: You are asked "How do you handle
working under pressure?"
Answer:
"I stay calm and focused by prioritising my tasks. I break down large projects
into smaller, manageable steps. I communicate with my team to ensure we're all
working efficiently. If I'm overwhelmed, I speak to my supervisor about
reprioritising. I find that staying organised and asking for help when needed
keeps pressure manageable."
Q160. Scenario: The interviewer asks "What are
your strengths and weaknesses?"
Answer:
"My strengths include being reliable, hardworking, and a good team player.
I'm also quick to learn new skills. A weakness I'm working on is [honest but not
critical weakness, e.g., public speaking or delegating tasks].
I've been improving by [specific action taken]. I believe
in being honest about areas where I can grow."
Q161. Scenario: You are asked "Why did you choose
to apply for work in Malta specifically?"
Answer:
"I chose Malta because I've heard about the positive work environment and
the good opportunities in my field. The country has a strong economy and I'm
attracted to its rich history and culture. I'm also looking forward to the
Mediterranean lifestyle and the friendly community. I believe I can contribute
positively to the Maltese workforce."
Q162. Scenario: The interviewer asks "Tell me
about a time you made a mistake at work."
Answer:
"In my previous job, I once [describe mistake]. I immediately
informed my supervisor about what happened and took responsibility. I then [action taken
to fix the mistake]. I learned from this experience and now [change made to
prevent recurrence]. I believe mistakes are opportunities to
learn and improve."
Q163. Scenario: You are asked "How do you manage
your time effectively?"
Answer:
"I start my day by making a to-do list and prioritising tasks by
importance and deadlines. I focus on completing one task at a time rather than
multitasking. I use tools like calendars and reminders to stay on track. I also
allow some buffer time for unexpected tasks. Regular review of my progress
helps me stay productive."
Q164. Scenario: The interviewer asks "What do you
think about the cost of living in Malta?"
Answer:
"From my research, I understand that rent and eating out can be quite
expensive, especially in central areas like Valletta and Sliema. I am prepared
for this and am planning to live in a more affordable area and use public transport
for my commute. I believe careful budgeting will help me manage my
expenses."
Q165. Scenario: You are asked "What is your
understanding of Maltese public holidays?"
Answer:
"I know there are 14 public holidays in Malta each year, including Freedom
Day on March 31st, Independence Day on September 21st, and Republic Day on
December 13th. Sette Giugno on June 7th commemorates the 1919 riots. Employees
are entitled to paid time off on these holidays in addition to annual
leave."
Q166. Scenario: The interviewer asks "How would
you handle a situation where a customer is angry?"
Answer:
"I would remain calm and listen to the customer without interrupting. I
would acknowledge their feelings and apologise for the inconvenience. I would
ask questions to fully understand the issue. I would then offer a solution or
explain what steps I can take to resolve the problem. My goal would be to turn
their negative experience into a positive one."
Q167. Scenario: You are asked "What do you know
about Maltese traditions?"
Answer:
"I know about the 'festa' - the village feast celebrating patron saints
with processions, band marches, and fireworks. I've also learned about 'Mnarja'
on June 29th, a traditional festival with folk music and horse races. The
'pastizz' is a popular traditional pastry filled with ricotta or peas. I'm
looking forward to experiencing these traditions."
Q168. Scenario: The interviewer asks "How do you
handle feedback or criticism?"
Answer:
"I welcome feedback because it helps me improve. I listen carefully
without becoming defensive. I ask questions to understand the feedback fully. I
thank the person for their input. Then I create a plan to act on the feedback.
I believe constructive criticism is valuable for professional growth."
Q169. Scenario: You are asked "What would you do
if you felt unsafe at work?"
Answer:
"First, I would report the unsafe condition to my supervisor immediately.
If the issue wasn't resolved, I would contact the Occupational Health and
Safety Authority (OHSA). I would document any concerns I've raised. I would also
speak to my colleagues to see if they share my concerns. I would not ignore
safety issues."
Q170. Scenario: The interviewer asks "Tell me
about a time you worked successfully in a team."
Answer:
"In my previous role, our team was tasked with [project or goal]. We held regular
meetings to ensure everyone was on the same page. I contributed by [specific
contribution]. I communicated openly with my colleagues and
offered help when needed. We successfully completed the project on time because
of our collaboration and mutual support."
Q171. Scenario: You are asked "What is the most
important thing you learned from the Pre-Departure Course?"
Answer:
"The most important thing I learned is the importance of understanding
both my rights and my obligations as a worker in Malta. I now understand the
employment laws, health and safety requirements, and the cultural expectations.
I also learned that integration into Maltese society is a responsibility I must
take seriously."
Q172. Scenario: The interviewer asks "How would
you describe Maltese culture to someone who has never been to Malta?"
Answer:
"Maltese culture is a unique blend of Mediterranean influences, with
strong roots in Roman Catholicism. The people are warm and family-oriented. The
country has a rich history from the Knights of St. John. The food is excellent,
with dishes like 'pastizzi' and 'rabbit stew'. The 'festa' celebrations are
spectacular. English is widely spoken, making it welcoming for
foreigners."
Q173. Scenario: You are asked "What would you do
if you disagreed with a company policy?"
Answer:
"First, I would make sure I fully understand the policy and its purpose.
If I still disagreed, I would arrange a private meeting with my supervisor to
respectfully express my concerns and suggest alternatives. I would accept their
final decision. I believe in being a team player while also being willing to
voice concerns constructively."
Q174. Scenario: The interviewer asks "How do you
stay motivated at work?"
Answer:
"I stay motivated by setting personal goals and celebrating small
achievements. I enjoy learning new skills and taking on new challenges.
Positive relationships with colleagues help create a supportive environment.
I'm motivated by doing quality work and contributing to my team's success. I
also believe in maintaining a healthy work-life balance."
Q175. Scenario: You are asked "What would you do
if you were asked to perform a task you're not qualified for?"
Answer:
"I would be honest with my supervisor about my qualifications and express
my willingness to learn. I would ask for proper training or guidance. If the
task is urgent, I would ask if there's a colleague who can help or if I can
observe someone experienced. I believe it's important to be honest about
capabilities rather than risking mistakes."
Q176. Scenario: The interviewer asks "What do you
know about the Maltese healthcare system?"
Answer:
"I know that Malta has a public healthcare system accessible to residents
through health centres and Mater Dei Hospital in Msida. I understand that
non-EU residents are advised to have health insurance. Many employers include
private health insurance in their packages. Emergency services can be reached
by calling 112."
Q177. Scenario: You are asked "How would you
handle a situation where you were discriminated against at work?"
Answer:
"First, I would document the incident with dates and details. I would then
report it to my supervisor or HR department. If the issue wasn't resolved
internally, I would file a complaint with the Department of Industrial and
Employment Relations (DIER). I understand that discrimination based on age,
gender, race, or religion is illegal in Malta."
Q178. Scenario: The interviewer asks "What is
your understanding of the probationary period?"
Answer:
"I understand that the probationary period in Malta can be up to 6 months.
During this period, it's easier for either party to terminate the contract.
This is a time for the employer to assess my performance and for me to decide
if the job is right for me. I understand the terms of probation should be
clearly stated in my employment contract."
Q179. Scenario: You are asked "Tell me about your
previous work experience."
Answer:
"I have [number] years of experience
working as a [job title] in [industry/location].
In this role, I was responsible for [key responsibilities]. I developed
skills in [specific skills]. I worked with a
team of [number]
people and was known for [positive qualities]. My experience
has prepared me well for this opportunity in Malta."
Q180. Scenario: The interviewer asks "What do you
understand about Maltese labour laws?"
Answer: "I understand that the main legislation is the
Employment and Industrial Relations Act (EIRA). This covers working hours
(maximum 40 hours per week), minimum wage, annual leave (24 days), and health
and safety. I also know about the Department of Industrial and Employment
Relations (DIER) which handles disputes. Employers must provide a written
contract within one month."
Q181. Scenario: You are asked "How would you contribute to
the Maltese workplace?"
Answer: "I would contribute by being a reliable,
hardworking, and respectful employee. I would follow all workplace policies and
treat colleagues with respect. I would bring my professional experience and
willingness to learn. I would also respect Maltese culture and customs. I
believe in being a positive and collaborative team member."
Q182. Scenario: The
interviewer asks "What would you do if you noticed a safety hazard at
work?"
Answer: "I would immediately report the safety hazard to
my supervisor or manager. If the hazard was urgent, I would warn my colleagues
and help them stay safe. I would not ignore the hazard. I understand that
maintaining a safe workplace is everyone's responsibility. I would also follow
up to ensure the issue has been addressed."
Q183. Scenario: You are
asked "How do you handle stress at work?"
Answer: "I manage stress by staying organised and
prioritising my tasks. I take short breaks when needed to clear my mind. I
exercise regularly and maintain a healthy lifestyle. I communicate openly with
my supervisor about workloads. I also find that talking through challenges with
colleagues helps reduce stress."
Q184. Scenario: The
interviewer asks "What do you know about Maltese architecture and
history?"
Answer: "I know that Malta has a rich architectural
heritage, especially from the Knights of St. John who ruled from 1530 to 1798.
Valletta is a UNESCO World Heritage site with beautiful Baroque architecture.
The Knights built magnificent fortifications and cities. I also know about the
megalithic temples, which are some of the oldest free-standing structures in
the world."
Q185. Scenario: You are
asked "What would you do if a colleague was not following safety
procedures?"
Answer: "I would politely remind my colleague about the
proper safety procedure. If they continued, I would speak to our supervisor. I
would also explain why the procedure is important - for their safety and the
safety of others. I believe in looking out for my colleagues' wellbeing."
Q186. Scenario: The
interviewer asks "What is your understanding of the Skills Pass
system?"
Answer: "The Skills Pass is a sector-specific
certification system. For tourism and hospitality workers, it's mandatory in
addition to the Pre-Departure Course. The second part of the Skills Pass
involves additional online modules and assessments related to the specific
sector. The full system ensures workers meet minimum standards in skills,
English language, and cultural awareness."
Q187. Scenario: You are
asked "How would you build good relationships with your colleagues?"
Answer: "I would be friendly and approachable, greeting
colleagues warmly each day. I would offer help when I see someone struggling. I
would participate in team activities. I would be respectful of different
backgrounds and cultures. I believe that open communication and positive
attitude are key to building good relationships at work."
Q188. Scenario: The
interviewer asks "What do you think about the work culture in Malta?"
Answer: "From my research, Maltese work culture is
professional but also friendly and relaxed. People value good working
relationships. Punctuality is important, especially for professional
appointments. I understand that companies in Malta are increasingly
international and diverse. I'm looking forward to adapting to the Maltese work
environment."
Q189. Scenario: You are
asked "What would you do if you couldn't pay your rent?"
Answer: "I would immediately speak to my landlord to
explain the situation and discuss possible payment arrangements. I would also
look for additional work or cut expenses. I would seek advice from community
support services or my employer. I understand that communication and early
action are important in such situations."
Q190. Scenario: The
interviewer asks "How would you describe your communication style?"
Answer: "I communicate clearly and directly, but always
respectfully. I'm a good listener and I ask questions to ensure understanding.
I believe in open and honest communication. I adapt my style depending on who
I'm speaking to - more formal with management, more casual with colleagues. I'm
also mindful of cultural differences in communication."
Q191. Scenario: You are
asked "What do you know about the Maltese educational system?"
Answer: "I know that Malta has a good educational
system, with free public education. The University of Malta in Msida is the
main higher education institution. The Institute of Tourism Studies (ITS)
provides sector-specific training, including the Skills Pass examinations. I understand
that education is valued in Maltese society."
Q192. Scenario: The
interviewer asks "How would you handle a situation where you made a
mistake that affected a customer?"
Answer: "First, I would take responsibility for the
mistake immediately. I would sincerely apologise to the customer. Then I would
work to fix the mistake as quickly as possible. I would explain to the customer
what went wrong and what I'm doing to resolve it. I would learn from the
experience to prevent it happening again."
Q193. Scenario: You are
asked "What is your understanding of the difference between a fixed-term
and indefinite contract?"
Answer: "A fixed-term contract has a specific duration
and expires automatically on the end date without formal termination. An
indefinite contract is permanent and continues until terminated by either party
following the contract's terms and legal requirements. Both types are
legitimate in Malta, but have different implications for job security."
Q194. Scenario: The
interviewer asks "How do you adapt to new environments?"
Answer: "I adapt by being open-minded and observant. I
pay attention to how others do things and follow their example. I ask questions
when unsure. I try to learn the local customs and culture. I'm patient with
myself as I learn. I also try to build relationships with colleagues who can
help me settle in."
Q195. Scenario: You are
asked "What would you do if you were asked to work overtime without extra
pay?"
Answer: "I would check my employment contract to
understand my overtime entitlements. I would speak to my supervisor to clarify
whether overtime is compensated or if it's expected as part of my role. I
understand that overtime is usually voluntary and must be compensated at a
higher rate. I would handle this professionally and assertively."
Q196. Scenario: The
interviewer asks "What do you understand about Maltese banking and
financial systems?"
Answer: "I know that the currency in Malta is the Euro.
I understand I need to open a Maltese bank account for wage payments,
especially since wages for TCNs must now be paid by bank transfer. I know I
need a tax identification number from Inland Revenue. I'm prepared to manage my
finances carefully, budgeting for rent, utilities, and other expenses."
Q197. Scenario: You are
asked "How would you maintain work-life balance in Malta?"
Answer: "I would respect my working hours and not
overwork unnecessarily. I would make time for leisure activities and exploring
Malta. I would use my annual leave (24 days) for rest and family visits. I
would build a social life in Malta and enjoy the outdoor lifestyle. I believe a
healthy balance is important for long-term wellbeing."
Q198. Scenario: The
interviewer asks "What is your understanding of Maltese taxes?"
Answer: "I understand that tax is deducted from salaries
in Malta. I need to get a tax identification number from Inland Revenue. I know
that social security contributions are also deducted. I understand that there
are different tax rates depending on income level. I'm prepared to learn more
about the tax system when I arrive."
Q199. Scenario: You are
asked "What would you do if you felt your employer was exploiting
you?"
Answer: "First, I would document everything - hours
worked, pay received, any issues. I would try to resolve the issue by speaking
to my employer or HR. If the problem continues, I would contact the Department
of Industrial and Employment Relations (DIER) for advice and assistance. I
understand that I have rights and there are authorities to protect me."
Q200. Scenario: The
interviewer asks "What are your final thoughts on coming to work in
Malta?"
Answer: "I'm very excited about this opportunity. I've
prepared thoroughly through the Pre-Departure Course. I understand the
importance of integrating into Maltese society and respecting local culture.
I'm committed to working hard, being a good employee, and contributing
positively. I'm looking forward to starting a new chapter in Malta and building
a good life there."
SECTION 7: CULTURAL INTEGRATION & LANGUAGE (Questions 201-250)
Q201. What is the
Maltese word for "hello"?
Answer: "Bongu" (good morning) or simply
"Ħello" (hello). "Bonġu" is the formal greeting for good
morning.
Q202. What is the
Maltese word for "thank you"?
Answer: "Grazzi" - this is one of the most useful
words to learn.
Q203. What is the
Maltese word for "please"?
Answer: "Jekk jogħġbok" - a polite expression used
in daily interactions.
Q204. What is the
Maltese word for "goodbye"?
Answer: "Ċaw" is informal, or "Sahha"
which means goodbye/health.
Q205. What is the significance
of "good manners" in Maltese culture?
Answer: Good manners are highly valued in Malta. Being
polite, greeting people properly, and showing respect to elders are important
cultural expectations.
Q206. What is the
traditional Maltese dish "fenkata"?
Answer: Fenkata is a traditional Maltese rabbit stew,
considered one of Malta's national dishes.
Q207. What is the
Maltese "lampuki"?
Answer: Lampuki is the Maltese name for dorado fish, a
popular seasonal fish in Maltese cuisine.
Q208. What is the
Maltese "imqaret"?
Answer: Imqaret are traditional fried pastries filled with
dates, commonly sold at village festas.
Q209. What is the
Maltese "pastur"?
Answer: Pastur is a traditional Maltese cheese similar to
ricotta, used in many local dishes.
Q210. What is the
traditional Maltese bread?
Answer: Maltese ħobż (bread) is famous for its hard crust and
soft inside, often eaten with tomatoes and olive oil as "ftira."
Q211. What is the
significance of the "Maltese cross"?
Answer: The Maltese cross is the symbol of the Knights of St.
John and is closely associated with Maltese identity. The eight points
represent the eight obligations of the Knights.
Q212.
What is the Maltese "għonnella"?
Answer: The għonnella was a traditional Maltese woman's headdress,
a black silk hood that covered the head and shoulders, rarely worn today but
part of historical Maltese dress.
Q213.
What is the Maltese "fuklar"?
Answer: The fuklar is a traditional Maltese clay cooking pot, still
used for slow-cooking traditional dishes.
Q214.
What is the traditional Maltese "karnival"?
Answer: Maltese Carnival is a major event held before Lent,
featuring colourful floats, masked revellers, and celebrations in Valletta and
other towns.
Q215.
What is the Maltese "festa" fireworks tradition?
Answer: Fireworks are a spectacular part of Maltese festas. Towns
compete to create the most impressive displays, with ground fireworks and
aerial displays.
Q216.
What is the Maltese "l-Imnarja"?
Answer: L-Imnarja is the feast of St. Peter and St. Paul,
celebrated on June 29th. It features horse racing in Valletta, traditional
Maltese food, and folk music.
Q217.
What is the significance of the "Mdina" in Maltese history?
Answer: Mdina is the old capital of Malta, known as the
"Silent City." It was the seat of Malta's nobility and has a rich
history dating back to the Phoenicians.
Q218.
What is the Maltese "tar-ras"?
Answer: Tar-ras is a traditional Maltese go-kart event held during
Carnival, where riders race down steep streets.
Q219.
What is the "Malta Boat" tradition?
Answer: Maltese traditional boats are called "luzzu,"
brightly coloured with eyes painted on the bow for protection. They are symbols
of Maltese fishing tradition.
Q220.
What is the significance of the "Three Cities"?
Answer: The Three Cities (Birgu, Bormla, and Isla) are historic
fortified cities across from Valletta. They were crucial in the Great Siege of
1565.
Q221.
What is the Maltese "qaleb"?
Answer: The qaleb is a traditional Maltese candy made from sugar
and mint, still made in local sweet shops.
Q222.
What is the Maltese "galletti"?
Answer: Galletti are traditional Maltese biscuits, often served
with cheese or tomato paste.
Q223.
What is the significance of the "Maltese catacombs"?
Answer: Malta has extensive underground catacombs, especially in
Rabat, used for burial in Roman times. They are significant archaeological
sites.
Q224.
What is the Maltese "tahrig" tradition?
Answer: Tahrig refers to traditional Maltese folk music and
singing, often performed during village feast celebrations.
Q225.
What is the "Maltese honeybee"?
Answer: The Maltese honeybee is the national insect of Malta,
reflecting the country's name derivation from the Greek word "melita"
meaning honey.
Q226.
What is the "Maltese stone" tradition?
Answer: Maltese limestone (globigerina limestone) is the
traditional building stone, giving Maltese architecture its characteristic
golden colour.
Q227.
What is the significance of "Għadira" wetlands?
Answer: Għadira is Malta's largest wetland area, important for bird
migration and conservation of bird species.
Q228.
What is the "Maltese pitta"?
Answer: The Maltese pitta is a small, colourful bird, often
associated with Maltese birdwatching traditions.
Q229.
What is the "Maltese folklore" tradition?
Answer: Maltese folklore includes stories of mythical creatures
like the "Klepti" (a vampiric creature) and "Ir-ragel
tal-Ħażna" (a mischievous spirit).
Q230.
What is the significance of "Valletta" as a UNESCO World Heritage
site?
Answer: Valletta was designated a UNESCO World Heritage site for
its rich history, intact fortifications, and Baroque architecture built by the
Knights of St. John.
Q231.
What is the "Maltese kusksu"?
Answer: Kusksu is a traditional Maltese soup made with broad beans
and pasta, often served as comfort food.
Q232.
What is the "Maltese bragioli"?
Answer: Bragioli is a traditional Maltese dish of beef olives,
filled with breadcrumbs, egg, and bacon, slow-cooked in tomato sauce.
Q233.
What is the significance of "Marsaxlokk" in Maltese culture?
Answer: Marsaxlokk is a traditional fishing village known for its
colourful luzzu boats and the Sunday fish market, a popular tourist
destination.
Q234.
What is the "Maltese xelter"?
Answer: Xelter refers to traditional Maltese accommodation, often
with characteristic features like flat roofs, narrow streets, and internal
courtyards.
Q235.
What is the "Maltese sindar"?
Answer: Sindar is the Maltese word for elders, reflecting the
cultural respect for older people in Maltese society.
Q236.
What is the "Maltese kazin"?
Answer: A kazin is a band club or social club, common in Maltese
villages and central to the festa celebrations.
Q237.
What is the "Maltese belah" tradition?
Answer: Belah refers to traditional Maltese folk dancing, often
performed during village feast celebrations.
Q238.
What is the significance of "Malta International Airport"?
Answer: Malta International Airport (MLA) is the primary gateway
for visitors and workers to Malta, located in Luqa, processing millions of
passengers annually.
Q239.
What is the "Maltese gidal"?
Answer: Gidal is a traditional Maltese cheeselet, small cheese made
from sheep or goat milk, popular in the summer.
Q240.
What is the "Maltese gibet"?
Answer: Gibet is a traditional Maltese jacket worn by men, part of
historical Maltese costume.
Q241.
What is the "Maltese zekk"?
Answer: Zekk is a traditional Maltese way of keeping rabbits,
especially for cooking rabbit stew.
Q242.
What is the significance of "Gozo" in Maltese culture?
Answer: Gozo is the second largest island in the Maltese
archipelago, known for its more rural character, the Ggantija temples, and its
unique cultural traditions.
Q243.
What is the "Maltese hobz biz-zejt"?
Answer: Hobz biz-zejt is a traditional Maltese snack, a slice of
Maltese bread with olive oil, tomato, onion, garlic, and capers - a simple but
iconic Maltese dish.
Q244.
What is the "Maltese ftira"?
Answer: Ftira is a traditional Maltese oven-baked sandwich, using a
special round Maltese bread, filled with various ingredients like tuna,
potatoes, and olives.
Q245.
What is the "Maltese timpana"?
Answer: Timpana is a traditional Maltese pasta pie, with macaroni,
meat sauce, egg, and parmesan, encased in pastry - a comfort food favourite.
Q246.
What is the significance of "Mdina" being known as the "Silent
City"?
Answer: Mdina is called the Silent City because cars are mostly
banned in the old city, preserving a peaceful, quiet atmosphere.
Q247.
What is the "Maltese arlogg"?
Answer: Arlogg is the Maltese word for clock, reflecting the
importance of timekeeping in Maltese culture.
Q248.
What is the "Maltese pagun"?
Answer: Pagun is a traditional Maltese holiday, especially
important for historical festivals.
Q249.
What is the "Maltese zaghzagh" tradition?
Answer: Zaghzagh refers to traditional Maltese youth participation
in cultural activities and sporting events.
Q250.
How can you best prepare for the Phase 2 interview?
Answer: Preparation for the Phase 2 interview requires:
1.
Thoroughly reviewing all course
materials from Phase 1
2.
Practicing answering questions out
loud to build confidence
3.
Being prepared for scenario-based
questions that test practical knowledge
4.
Having clear, honest answers about
your experience and expectations
5.
Asking for clarification if you
don't understand a question
6.
Remembering that the interview tests
communication, not perfection
No comments:
Post a Comment