Saturday, 8 August 2026

Useful Grammar Topics for the Malta Pre-Departure Integration Course

 Useful Grammar Topics for the Malta Pre-Departure Integration Course

Complete Detailed Guide

The Malta Pre-Departure Integration Course tests both your knowledge of Maltese life and your English language proficiency. This guide covers the specific grammar topics you need to know, organised by the skills assessed in the Phase 1 online exams and the Phase 2 live interview.


Part 1: English Grammar for the Phase 1 Online Exams

The Phase 1 exams use multiple-choice and true/false questions to test your understanding of course content, not grammar directly. However, you must be able to read and understand the questions correctly. The course modules include:

  • "Living and Working in Malta" (Topics 1-10) covering introduction to Malta, legal essentials, social norms, accommodation, language, health, transport, integration, documentation, and pre-departure checklist.
  • "Rights and Obligations at the Workplace" (Topics 11-15)

Key Reading Skills Required

Skill

Why It Matters

Example from Exam

Understanding Question Words

To identify what the question is asking

"What is the main objective of the Pre-Departure Course?" vs "Who is exempt from the course?"

Recognising Negatives

True/False questions often test negative statements

"Third-country nationals who already hold a valid Single Permit before 1st March 2026 are not exempt."

Understanding Comparisons

Some questions compare facts

"The Phase 2 interview is more challenging than Phase 1."

Identifying Tenses

Understanding time frames

"The course will become mandatory from March 2026."

Conditional Sentences

Understanding "if/when" scenarios

"If you are applying to work in tourism, you will need a Skills Pass."


Part 2: English Grammar for the Phase 2 Live Interview

The 20-minute live online interview is designed to verify your English language proficiency and your understanding of the course content. Almost half of applicants fail Phase 2 assessments, with lack of English knowledge cited as a key reason.

A. Essential Sentence Structures

1. Present Simple Tense

Used for: Facts, routines, general truths.

Example Interview Questions & Answers:

  • Q: "What is the capital of Malta?"
  • A: "The capital is Valletta."
  • Q: "What do you know about the Pre-Departure Course?"
  • A: "The course prepares workers for life in Malta. It includes two modules and a live interview."

2. Present Continuous Tense

Used for: Current situations, temporary actions.

Example:

  • Q: "Why are you applying to work in Malta?"
  • A: "I am applying because I am looking for new opportunities."

3. Past Simple Tense

Used for: Completed actions in the past.

Example:

  • Q: "What was your previous job?"
  • A: "I worked as a [job title] for [number] years."
  • Q: "What did you learn from the course?"
  • A: "I learned about workers' rights and Maltese culture."

4. Future Tenses (Will / Going to)

Used for: Future plans, intentions.

Example:

  • Q: "What will you do when you arrive in Malta?"
  • A: "I will register with Identity Malta to get my ID card."
  • Q: "What are your plans?"
  • A: "I am going to find accommodation and start my new job."

5. Modal Verbs

Essential for expressing obligation, possibility, and advice.

Modal Verb

Use

Example

Must

Obligation/requirement

"You must complete both modules and the interview."

Have to

External obligation

"TCNs have to pay €250 for the course."

Should

Advice/recommendation

"You should arrive early for your interview."

Can

Ability/possibility

"You can book the interview at your nearest VFS centre."

May

Permission/possibility

"Successful completion may allow for longer permit renewals."


B. Key Grammar Topics for Workplace Communication

1. Giving Instructions and Describing Procedures

The interview may ask how you would handle workplace situations.

Useful Structures:

  • "First, I would ..."
  • "Then, I would ..."
  • "Finally, I would ..."

Example Answer:

"If the fire alarm goes off, first I would stop what I am doing. Then I would leave the building using the nearest fire exit. Finally, I would go to the assembly point."

2. Expressing Obligations and Rights

The course covers workplace rights and obligations.

Useful Vocabulary:

  • "Employees are entitled to 24 days of annual leave."
  • "Employers must provide a written contract."
  • "Workers have the right to request pay information."
  • "It is the employer's duty to ensure health and safety."

3. Conditional Sentences (If Clauses)

Used for hypothetical or scenario-based questions.

Type 1 (Real/Possible): If + present, will + infinitive

  • "If I am late for work, I will call my supervisor."

Type 2 (Hypothetical): If + past, would + infinitive

  • "If I saw a safety hazard, I would report it immediately."

Example Interview Question:

  • Q: "What would you do if a colleague was being bullied?"
  • A: "If I saw a colleague being bullied, I would speak to them privately and offer support."

4. Passive Voice

Used to describe processes or when the action is more important than the doer.

Example:

  • "The course is offered through an online platform."
  • "Applications are submitted to Identity Malta."
  • "The interview is conducted by a human assessor."

5. Reported Speech

Used when explaining what you have learned.

Example:

  • "The course says that we must complete both modules in 42 days."
  • "I was told that the interview would last about 20 minutes."

C. Practical Vocabulary Topics

1. Work and Employment Vocabulary

Term

Meaning

Third-Country National (TCN)

A citizen of a non-EU/EEA country

Single Permit

Combined work and residence permit

Probationary Period

Up to 6 months where termination is easier

Annual Leave

24 working days of paid holiday

Minimum Wage

The lowest legal pay rate

Overtime

Extra hours worked beyond standard hours

Health and Safety

Workplace safety regulations

2. Daily Life in Malta Vocabulary

Term

Meaning

Festa

Village feast with processions and fireworks

Pastizz

Traditional Maltese pastry

Tallinja Card

Prepaid bus travel card

Identity Malta

Government agency for ID and residency

Mater Dei Hospital

Main public hospital

Skills Pass

Certification for tourism/hospitality workers

3. Asking for Clarification

Essential for the interview - asking for clarification shows you are listening and want to understand, not that you lack English ability.

Useful Phrases:

  • "Could you please repeat the question?"
  • "I'm sorry, I didn't quite understand. Could you explain it more simply?"
  • "Do you mean ...?"
  • "Could you give me an example?"

Part 3: Language Levels Required

English Proficiency by Sector

The required English level varies by sector:

Sector

Required Level

CEFR Equivalent

iGaming, Fintech, Tech, Professional Services

Professional fluency

B2–C2

Customer Support

Strong internal English

B2 (ideally C1)

Hospitality, Food Service, Retail

Practical working English

B1

Construction, Warehousing, Cleaning, Logistics

Basic practical English

A2 (official minimum)

Failure Rates and Language Skills

Almost half of applicants fail the Skills Pass assessments. The two most common reasons:

1.      Lack of required job skills - 40% of failures

2.      Lack of English language knowledge - 25% of failures

This makes grammar and language preparation essential for success.


Part 4: Maltese Language - Bonus Grammar Overview

While the Pre-Departure Course is in English, the broader 40-hour "I Belong" integration course (for permit renewals) includes Maltese and English language lessons.

Basic Maltese Grammar Topics Covered in Integration Courses

The official "Award in Maltese as a Foreign Language" covers the following grammar topics:

Module 1 (20 hours)

  • Alphabet and Pronunciation: Maltese alphabet, vowels, consonants, including letters "ie", "gh", and "h"
  • Present Tense: Positive and negative forms of basic verbs
  • Personal Pronouns: Independent personal pronouns
  • Numbers: Cardinal and ordinal numbers 1-10
  • Days, Months, Seasons
  • Nouns: "Konsonanti Xemxin" and "Konsonanti Qamrin"

Module 2 (20 hours)

  • Plural Nouns: Plural Shih and Plural Miksur
  • Adjectives: Gender agreement, "Grad Požitiv"
  • Pronouns: Demonstrative and interrogative pronouns
  • Past and Future Tenses: Positive and negative forms
  • Numbers: 11-19, hyphenated numbers, compound numbers
  • Parts of Speech: Conjunctions, prepositions, interjections

Module 3 (20 hours)

  • Advanced Plural Forms: Continuing Plural Shih and Miksur
  • Reading Comprehension: Extracting information from short passages

Module 4 (20 hours + 3-hour assessment)

  • Full assessment covering Listening, Reading, Oral, and Written skills

Essential Maltese Phrases for Daily Life

English

Maltese

Pronunciation Guide

Hello

Bongu / Ħello

Bon-joo / Hel-lo

Goodbye

Ċaw / Sahha

Chaw / Sah-ha

Thank you

Grazzi

Grat-see

Please

Jekk jogħġbok

Yek yoj-bok

Yes / No

Iva / Le

Ee-va / Lay

How are you?

Kif int?

Keef int?

Good

Tajjeb

Tie-yeb


Quick Reference Summary

Key Grammar Topics to Master

Grammar Area

Why Important

Used In

Present Simple

Facts, routines, general truths

All interview questions

Past Simple

Describing previous experience

Work history questions

Future Tenses

Plans and intentions

"What will you do...?" questions

Modal Verbs

Expressing obligations, rights, advice

Describing workplace rules

Conditionals

Scenario-based questions

Phase 2 interview scenarios

Passive Voice

Describing processes

Explaining course/procedures

Phase 2 Interview Survival Phrases

Situation

What to Say

You don't understand the question

"Could you please repeat that?"

You need time to think

"That's a good question. Let me think..."

You want to clarify

"Do you mean ...?"

You don't know the answer

"I'm not sure about that, but I would..."


Final Preparation Tips

1.      Practice answering questions out loud - The Phase 2 interview tests spoken English, not written.

2.      Focus on workplace vocabulary - You need to discuss rights, obligations, and workplace scenarios.

3.      Know your sector's language requirements - Hospitality workers need B1 level; construction workers need A2 level.

4.      Use simple, clear sentences - You don't need perfect grammar; you need to be understood.

5.      Practice conditional sentences - Scenario questions use "What would you do if...?"

6.      Learn basic Maltese phrases - Showing effort to learn the local language is valued as a sign of respect.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Collocations with English and Nepali Meanings

Collocations with English and Nepali Meanings Collocations are words that naturally and frequently occur together. They are especially use...