Friday, 7 August 2026

PTE Respond to a Situation (New) – Complete Introduction

PTE Respond to a Situation (New) – Complete Introduction

1. What is this task?

This is a new task in the PTE Speaking section. You are given a short, real-life scenario (like a voicemail or message situation) and must verbally respond to it. It tests your ability to communicate clearly, naturally, and politely in everyday practical situations, rather than using complex academic English.

2. Number of Questions

You will get 1 to 2 questions in the exam. Most test-takers receive 1 question, but 2 is also possible.

3. Preparation Time

You have exactly 20 seconds to prepare. Use this time to:

  • Understand the scenario.
  • Plan your main idea (Purpose → Action → Politeness).
  • Think of 2–3 clear sentences and prepare a polite closing phrase.

4. Speaking Time

You must speak for 40 seconds. If you stop speaking for more than 3 seconds, the microphone will automatically close, so it is critical to keep a steady flow.

5. Types of Situations

Common scenarios include:

  • Apologizing (e.g., missing class, a mistake).
  • Requesting information or rescheduling.
  • Thanking someone.
  • Explaining a delay or issue (e.g., lost internet, wrong delivery).
  • Responding to a complaint.

6. Scoring System

You are scored on three main skills:

1.      Content: Did you address the situation clearly and logically?

2.      Oral Fluency: Did you speak smoothly, with a natural rhythm and no long pauses?

3.      Pronunciation: Were your words clear and easy to understand?

While grammar and vocabulary are noted, content and fluency carry more weight.

7. High-Scoring Structure (3-Step Template)

To score highly, follow this simple and effective structure in every response:

  • Step 1 – Purpose: Clearly state why you are calling or speaking.
  • Step 2 – Action / Explanation: Give the reason or details related to the situation.
  • Step 3 – Politeness / Future Action: End with a polite closing and state what you will do next.

Example using this structure:

Hello teacher, I’m really sorry I missed today’s class. (Purpose) I wasn’t feeling well, so I couldn’t attend. (Explanation) I’ve already asked a friend for the notes, and I will review everything tonight. If there is any homework, please let me know. (Future Action) Thank you for understanding. (Politeness)

8. Universal Templates for Common Scenarios

You can adapt these three templates for almost any situation:

  • Apology: "Hi, I’m really sorry about _____. The reason is _____. I’ll fix it by _____. Thank you for your understanding."
  • Request: "Hello, I’m calling to request _____. I need this because _____. Please let me know if there’s anything else I should do. Thank you for your help."
  • Gratitude: "Hi, I just wanted to thank you for _____. It really helped me. Please tell me if I can help you in return. Thanks again."

9. Key Tips to Score 80+

  • Speak slowly, naturally, and confidently, like you are leaving a voicemail.
  • Use polite, conversational phrases (e.g., "I'm sorry…", "I appreciate…", "Please let me know…").
  • Avoid silence at all costs.
  • Fill the entire 40 seconds without rushing.
  • Avoid overly complex vocabulary—keep it clear and natural.

10. Common Mistakes to AVOID

  • Speaking too fast (this hurts pronunciation and fluency).
  • Having long pauses (the mic will cut off).
  • Forgetting to answer the actual scenario (staying on topic is critical).
  • Ending too early and leaving silence.
  • Being rude, direct, or using unnaturally strong vocabulary.

📊 Summary Table

FeatureDetails

Task Type

Respond to a real-life scenario (voicemail/message)

Preparation Time

20 seconds

Speaking Time

40 seconds

Number of Questions

1–2

Skills Scored

Content, Oral Fluency, Pronunciation

Difficulty

Easy to Moderate

Best Structure

Purpose → Explanation → Politeness

Critical Rule

Avoid silence > 3 seconds (mic closes automatically)

PTE RESPOND TO A SITUATION

Complete Master Guide – 50+ Exam-Style Situations & Model Answers


PART 1: UNDERSTANDING THE TASK

1. What is Respond to a Situation?

Respond to a Situation is a PTE Speaking task in which you are given a short, real-life situation and asked to respond appropriately.

The situation may involve:

  • Making an apology
  • Making a request
  • Giving an explanation
  • Asking for information
  • Rescheduling an appointment
  • Complaining about a problem
  • Thanking someone
  • Making a suggestion
  • Solving a practical problem
  • Responding to a colleague, teacher, manager, friend, or service provider

The main goal is to communicate your message clearly, naturally, appropriately, and fluently.


PART 2: BASIC EXAM STRATEGY

2. Preparation Time

You have 20 seconds to prepare.

During these 20 seconds, quickly identify:

WHO?

Who are you speaking to?

Examples:

  • Teacher
  • Manager
  • Friend
  • Customer-service representative
  • Colleague
  • Neighbor

WHY?

Why are you speaking?

Examples:

  • To apologize
  • To request something
  • To complain
  • To explain
  • To thank someone
  • To reschedule

WHAT?

What important information must you include?

NEXT?

What will you do next?


PART 3: THE UNIVERSAL 4-STEP FORMULA

Use this structure for almost every situation:

PURPOSE → REASON → ACTION → POLITENESS

Step 1 – Purpose

Clearly explain why you are speaking.

Useful expressions:

  • "I'm calling because..."
  • "I'm speaking to you about..."
  • "I wanted to let you know that..."
  • "I'm contacting you regarding..."
  • "I'd like to request..."

Step 2 – Reason

Explain what happened or why you need something.

Useful expressions:

  • "The reason is that..."
  • "Unfortunately..."
  • "This happened because..."
  • "Due to..."
  • "I wasn't able to..."

Step 3 – Action

Explain what you have done or what you will do.

Useful expressions:

  • "I will make sure that..."
  • "I'll take care of it..."
  • "I'll try to resolve this..."
  • "I'll complete it by..."
  • "Could you please..."

Step 4 – Politeness

Finish naturally and politely.

Useful expressions:

  • "Thank you for understanding."
  • "I really appreciate your help."
  • "Please let me know if you need anything else."
  • "Thanks for your time."
  • "I apologize for the inconvenience."

PART 4: UNIVERSAL MASTER TEMPLATE

You can memorize this basic structure:

"Hello, I'm contacting you regarding ____. Unfortunately, ____. The reason is ____. I understand that this may cause some inconvenience, and I sincerely apologize. I will ____. Please let me know if there is anything else I should do. Thank you for your understanding and assistance."

This template can be adapted to many situations.


PART 5: APOLOGY TEMPLATE

"Hi, I'm really sorry about ____. Unfortunately, ____, which caused the problem. I understand that this may have caused some inconvenience. I will make sure to ____ as soon as possible. Please accept my sincere apologies, and thank you for your understanding."


PART 6: REQUEST TEMPLATE

"Hello, I'm contacting you to request ____. I need this because ____. Could you please help me with this when you have a chance? I would really appreciate your assistance. Please let me know if you need any additional information. Thank you very much."


PART 7: COMPLAINT TEMPLATE

"Hello, I'm calling regarding a problem with ____. Unfortunately, ____, and this has caused considerable inconvenience. I would appreciate it if you could look into the matter and provide a suitable solution. Please let me know what can be done. Thank you for your assistance."


PART 8: RESCHEDULING TEMPLATE

"Hello, I'm calling about our scheduled ____. Unfortunately, I'm unable to attend at the planned time because ____. I apologize for the inconvenience. Would it be possible to reschedule it for another suitable time? Please let me know what works best for you. Thank you for your understanding."


PART 9: THANKING TEMPLATE

"Hi, I just wanted to thank you for ____. Your help was extremely useful, and I really appreciate the time and effort you put into helping me. It made the situation much easier for me. Please let me know if I can ever return the favor. Thanks again for your kindness and support."


PART 10: 50+ EXAM-STYLE PRACTICE SITUATIONS


🟢 SET 1: APOLOGIES

Situation 1 – Missing Class

Prompt:
You missed an important class because you were sick. Call your teacher, apologize, explain the reason, and ask about the missed work.

Model Answer:

"Hello teacher, I'm really sorry that I missed today's class. Unfortunately, I wasn't feeling well and couldn't attend. I understand that I may have missed some important information. I've already asked a classmate about the lesson, and I'll review the notes tonight. Could you please let me know if there was any important homework or assignment? Thank you very much for your understanding."


Situation 2 – Late for Work

Prompt:
You are going to be late for work because of heavy traffic. Inform your manager and apologize.

Model Answer:

"Good morning, I'm calling to let you know that I'll be late for work today. Unfortunately, there's unusually heavy traffic on the road, and I've been delayed considerably. I'm really sorry for the inconvenience. I'm already on my way and will arrive as soon as possible. I'll make sure to complete my work on time despite the delay. Thank you for your understanding."


Situation 3 – Missed Appointment

Prompt:
You missed an appointment with your doctor. Apologize and request another appointment.

Model Answer:

"Hello, I'm really sorry that I missed my appointment today. Unfortunately, I had an unexpected problem and wasn't able to arrive on time. I understand that this may have caused some inconvenience. I'd like to reschedule the appointment for another suitable day. Could you please let me know the next available time? I apologize again, and thank you for your understanding."


Situation 4 – Late Assignment

Prompt:
You could not submit your assignment on time because your computer stopped working.

Model Answer:

"Hello teacher, I'm sorry that I wasn't able to submit my assignment on time. Unfortunately, my computer suddenly stopped working while I was completing the final part of the assignment. I tried to fix the problem, but I couldn't finish it before the deadline. I've now completed the assignment and can submit it immediately. I sincerely apologize for the delay and appreciate your understanding."


Situation 5 – Forgotten Meeting

Prompt:
You forgot an important meeting. Apologize and explain.

Model Answer:

"Hello, I sincerely apologize for missing our meeting. Unfortunately, I overlooked the appointment in my schedule and realized it only after the meeting had already started. I understand that your time is valuable, and I'm sorry for causing this inconvenience. I'd appreciate another opportunity to discuss the matter with you. Please let me know when you are available. Thank you for your understanding."


🟢 SET 2: REQUESTS

Situation 6 – Request for Notes

Prompt:
You missed a lecture. Ask your friend for the notes.

Model Answer:

"Hi, I hope you're doing well. I wanted to ask if you could please share the notes from today's lecture with me. Unfortunately, I couldn't attend the class because I had an important appointment. I don't want to miss any important information or assignments. If possible, could you send me the notes when you have time? I would really appreciate your help. Thanks a lot."


Situation 7 – Request for Leave

Prompt:
Ask your manager for one day of leave.

Model Answer:

"Good morning, I'd like to request one day of leave because I have an important personal commitment that I need to attend to. I understand that my absence may affect the schedule, so I've already planned how to complete my current tasks before taking leave. I would be grateful if you could approve my request. Please let me know if you need any further information. Thank you."


Situation 8 – Request for Information

Prompt:
You want information about a course.

Model Answer:

"Hello, I'm calling to ask for some information about the course you're offering. I'm particularly interested in the course schedule, duration, and enrollment process. I would also like to know whether there are any requirements before joining. Could you please provide me with these details? This information will help me decide whether the course is suitable for me. Thank you very much for your assistance."


Situation 9 – Request to Change a Seat

Prompt:
Ask an airline employee if you can change your seat.

Model Answer:

"Excuse me, I'd like to ask whether it would be possible to change my seat. I'm currently sitting near the back, and I'd prefer a seat closer to the front if one is available. I understand that seating arrangements may already be fixed, so I completely understand if there isn't another option. Could you please check for me? I would really appreciate your help. Thank you."


Situation 10 – Request for Extension

Prompt:
Ask your teacher for an extension on an assignment.

Model Answer:

"Hello teacher, I'd like to request a short extension for the assignment. Unfortunately, I've been dealing with an unexpected situation that has made it difficult to complete the work properly by the deadline. I don't want to submit incomplete work, so I was wondering if I could have a few additional days. I would make sure to submit it within the extended deadline. Thank you very much for considering my request."


🟡 SET 3: RESCHEDULING

Situation 11 – Reschedule Meeting

Prompt:
You cannot attend a meeting tomorrow. Ask to move it to another day.

Model Answer:

"Hello, I'm calling about our meeting scheduled for tomorrow. Unfortunately, I have an important commitment at the same time and won't be able to attend. I'm really sorry for the inconvenience. Would it be possible to reschedule the meeting for another day, perhaps later this week? I'm flexible and can adjust to a time that works for you. Thank you for your understanding."


Situation 12 – Reschedule Interview

Prompt:
You have a job interview but cannot attend at the scheduled time.

Model Answer:

"Hello, I'm calling regarding my scheduled interview. Unfortunately, an unexpected commitment has come up, and I won't be able to attend at the original time. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. I remain very interested in the position and would appreciate the opportunity to reschedule the interview. Please let me know if another time would be possible. Thank you for your understanding."


Situation 13 – Change Class Time

Prompt:
Ask your teacher to change your class time.

Model Answer:

"Hello teacher, I wanted to ask whether it would be possible to change my class time. Unfortunately, I have another important commitment at the current time, which makes it difficult for me to attend regularly. I really don't want to miss the classes, so I'd appreciate it if we could find another suitable time. Please let me know what options are available. Thank you for your help."


Situation 14 – Reschedule Appointment

Prompt:
You need to change an appointment because of a family commitment.

Model Answer:

"Hello, I'm calling to reschedule my appointment. Unfortunately, I have an important family commitment on the scheduled date and won't be able to attend. I apologize for the inconvenience. Would it be possible to move the appointment to another day? I'm happy to choose any available time that is convenient for you. Please let me know the available options. Thank you very much."


Situation 15 – Change Travel Plans

Prompt:
You need to change your travel date.

Model Answer:

"Hello, I'm calling about my travel booking. Unfortunately, my plans have changed, and I need to move my travel date to a later day. I understand that there may be a change fee or other conditions. Could you please explain the available options and let me know what I need to do? I'd appreciate your assistance in making the change. Thank you very much."


🟡 SET 4: PROBLEMS AND DELAYS

Situation 16 – Internet Problem

Prompt:
You cannot attend an online meeting because your internet connection has stopped working.

Model Answer:

"Hello, I wanted to let you know that I'm having an unexpected internet problem and may not be able to join the online meeting on time. I've already restarted my connection and I'm trying to resolve the issue as quickly as possible. I'm sorry for the inconvenience. If the problem continues, I'll contact you as soon as my connection is restored and catch up on anything I miss. Thank you for understanding."


Situation 17 – Lost Document

Prompt:
You lost an important document and need help.

Model Answer:

"Hello, I'm contacting you because I've unfortunately lost an important document. I've already checked my bag, office, and the places I visited earlier, but I haven't been able to find it. I'm concerned because I need the document for an upcoming process. Could you please tell me whether there is a way to obtain a replacement or another copy? I would really appreciate your assistance. Thank you."


Situation 18 – Delayed Delivery

Prompt:
Your delivery has not arrived on time.

Model Answer:

"Hello, I'm calling about my delivery, which was expected to arrive earlier but hasn't arrived yet. I've checked the tracking information, but I haven't received a clear update about the delay. Could you please check the current status of the delivery and let me know when I can expect it? I would appreciate it if you could resolve the issue as soon as possible. Thank you for your help."


Situation 19 – Broken Equipment

Prompt:
Office equipment is not working. Inform your manager.

Model Answer:

"Hello, I wanted to let you know that the office equipment isn't working properly. I tried restarting it and checking the basic connections, but the problem still hasn't been resolved. Since we need this equipment for our regular work, it may affect today's tasks if it remains unavailable. Could you please arrange for someone to check it? I'll continue with other work while the issue is being fixed. Thank you."


Situation 20 – Transport Delay

Prompt:
Your bus is delayed and you will arrive late.

Model Answer:

"Hello, I just wanted to let you know that my bus has been delayed unexpectedly, so I may arrive later than planned. I've already checked for another route, but this is currently the fastest option available. I'm sorry for the delay and any inconvenience it may cause. I'll come directly as soon as I arrive and will make sure to catch up on anything I miss. Thank you for understanding."


🟠 SET 5: COMPLAINTS

Situation 21 – Wrong Order

Prompt:
You received the wrong product. Contact the company.

Model Answer:

"Hello, I'm contacting you regarding an issue with my recent order. Unfortunately, I received a different product from the one I originally ordered. I checked the order details to make sure there wasn't a mistake on my side, but the information is correct. Could you please arrange a replacement with the correct product? I'd appreciate it if you could let me know the next steps. Thank you for your assistance."


Situation 22 – Noisy Neighbor

Prompt:
Your neighbor is making too much noise.

Model Answer:

"Hello, I wanted to speak with you about the noise coming from your apartment. Recently, the noise has been quite loud, especially late in the evening, and it's making it difficult for me to study and sleep. I completely understand that everyone needs some freedom at home, but I'd really appreciate it if you could keep the volume lower during quiet hours. I hope we can resolve this politely. Thank you for understanding."


Situation 23 – Poor Service

Prompt:
You received poor service at a restaurant.

Model Answer:

"Hello, I'd like to provide some feedback about my recent experience at your restaurant. Unfortunately, the service was much slower than expected, and we had to wait a long time before receiving our order. I understand that the restaurant may have been busy, but the delay was quite inconvenient. I hope you can look into the issue and improve the service in the future. Thank you for listening to my concern."


Situation 24 – Faulty Product

Prompt:
A product you purchased is not working.

Model Answer:

"Hello, I'm calling regarding a product I recently purchased. Unfortunately, it isn't working properly even though I've followed the instructions carefully. I've also tried restarting it and checking the connections, but the problem remains. I'd like to know whether I can have the product repaired or replaced. Could you please explain the procedure? I would appreciate your assistance in resolving this issue. Thank you."


Situation 25 – Incorrect Bill

Prompt:
You received an incorrect bill.

Model Answer:

"Hello, I'm calling because I noticed an issue with my recent bill. The amount charged appears to be higher than what I expected, and I believe there may be an incorrect charge included. Could you please review the bill and check the details for me? I'd appreciate it if you could correct the amount if a mistake has been made. Please let me know if you need any additional information. Thank you."


🔵 SET 6: THANKING AND GRATITUDE

Situation 26 – Thank Your Teacher

Prompt:
Your teacher helped you prepare for an important exam.

Model Answer:

"Hello teacher, I just wanted to sincerely thank you for helping me prepare for my exam. Your explanations and advice made the difficult topics much easier for me to understand. I really appreciate the time and effort you put into supporting me. Your guidance has given me much more confidence. I'll make sure to apply everything you've taught me. Thank you again for your kindness and valuable support."


Situation 27 – Thank a Friend

Prompt:
Your friend helped you move to a new house.

Model Answer:

"Hi, I just wanted to thank you for helping me move to my new house. I know you were busy, but you still took the time to help me carry everything and organize the important things. Your support made the whole process much easier and less stressful. I really appreciate your kindness and friendship. Please let me know if I can ever help you in return. Thanks again for everything."


Situation 28 – Thank a Colleague

Prompt:
Your colleague helped you complete an important project.

Model Answer:

"Hi, I just wanted to thank you for helping me with the project. Your ideas and support were extremely useful, especially when we were working under a tight deadline. I really appreciate the effort you put into completing the work successfully. It was great working with you, and I learned a lot from the experience. Thanks again for your cooperation and support."


Situation 29 – Thank Customer Service

Prompt:
A customer-service representative solved your problem.

Model Answer:

"Hello, I just wanted to thank you for helping me resolve my problem. I was quite concerned about the issue, but you explained everything clearly and guided me through the process. Your patience and professional assistance were extremely helpful. I really appreciate the time you spent handling my request. The issue has now been resolved successfully. Thank you again for your excellent service."


Situation 30 – Thank a Neighbor

Prompt:
Your neighbor helped you when you were away.

Model Answer:

"Hi, I wanted to thank you for helping me while I was away. I really appreciate the fact that you took care of things and kept an eye on my home. It gave me great peace of mind while I was traveling. Your kindness and support mean a lot to me. Please let me know if I can ever return the favor. Thanks again for being such a thoughtful neighbor."


🔵 SET 7: INFORMATION AND EXPLANATIONS

Situation 31 – Explain a Delay

Prompt:
Explain to your manager why a report is late.

Model Answer:

"Hello, I wanted to explain why the report has been delayed. I had planned to complete it on time, but I encountered some unexpected problems while checking the information, and I needed additional time to make sure everything was accurate. I apologize for the delay. I'm now completing the final section and expect to submit the report shortly. Thank you for your patience and understanding."


Situation 32 – Explain Absence

Prompt:
Explain to your teacher why you were absent.

Model Answer:

"Hello teacher, I wanted to explain why I wasn't able to attend class yesterday. Unfortunately, I had an unexpected personal commitment that required my immediate attention. I understand that attendance is important, and I'm sorry that I missed the lesson. I've already contacted my classmates to find out what was covered. I'll review the material and complete any missed work. Thank you for understanding."


Situation 33 – Explain a Mistake

Prompt:
You made a mistake in a report.

Model Answer:

"Hello, I wanted to inform you about a mistake I noticed in the report I submitted. While reviewing the document, I found that one section contained incorrect information. I'm sorry for the error and any confusion it may have caused. I've already corrected the information and reviewed the rest of the report carefully. I'll make sure to check everything more thoroughly before submitting future reports. Thank you for your understanding."


Situation 34 – Explain Missing an Event

Prompt:
Explain to a friend why you could not attend their event.

Model Answer:

"Hi, I'm really sorry that I couldn't attend your event. I had planned to come, but unfortunately, an unexpected commitment came up at the last moment and I couldn't leave. I know the event was important to you, and I feel bad about missing it. I hope you understand that it wasn't intentional. I'd love to hear about how everything went and meet you soon. Congratulations again."


Situation 35 – Explain a Technical Problem

Prompt:
Explain why you could not submit an online form.

Model Answer:

"Hello, I'm contacting you because I couldn't submit the online form before the deadline. I completed most of the form, but unfortunately, the website stopped responding when I tried to submit it. I tried refreshing the page and accessing it again, but the same problem continued. Could you please advise me on what I should do now? I can submit the completed form immediately if the system is available. Thank you."


🟣 SET 8: WORKPLACE SITUATIONS

Situation 36 – Ask for Help

Prompt:
You need help from a colleague with a difficult task.

Model Answer:

"Hi, I wanted to ask if you could help me with a difficult part of the current task. I've already worked through the information, but I'm having some difficulty understanding one section. Since you've handled a similar task before, I thought you might be able to guide me. I don't need you to do the work for me; I just need some advice. I'd really appreciate your help. Thanks."


Situation 37 – Give a Suggestion

Prompt:
Suggest a better way to organize a team project.

Model Answer:

"Hi everyone, I'd like to suggest a small change to the way we're organizing the project. I think it would be more efficient if we divided the work into separate sections and assigned each section to a specific person. That would make our responsibilities clearer and help us track our progress. Of course, I'm open to other suggestions as well. I think this approach could save us time and help us meet the deadline."


Situation 38 – Inform Manager About Progress

Prompt:
Update your manager about your project.

Model Answer:

"Hello, I wanted to give you a quick update on the project. We've completed the main research and have already finished most of the planned work. We're currently working on the final section and checking the information for accuracy. So far, everything is progressing according to schedule. I expect the team to complete the remaining work shortly. I'll let you know immediately if we encounter any significant problems. Thank you."


Situation 39 – Ask for Clarification

Prompt:
You don't understand your manager's instructions.

Model Answer:

"Hello, I wanted to ask for some clarification about the instructions you gave me earlier. I understand the main objective, but I'm not completely sure about the specific format you want for the final report. I don't want to make assumptions and submit something incorrectly. Could you please clarify what format and level of detail you would prefer? Once I have that information, I'll complete the task accordingly. Thank you."


Situation 40 – Report a Workplace Problem

Prompt:
Inform your manager about a problem affecting your team.

Model Answer:

"Hello, I wanted to bring an issue to your attention. Our team has recently been experiencing a problem that is affecting our productivity and making it difficult to complete some tasks on time. We've tried a few basic solutions, but the problem is still continuing. I thought it would be better to inform you before it becomes more serious. Could you please advise us on how we should handle it? Thank you for your support."


🟤 SET 9: SOCIAL AND EVERYDAY SITUATIONS

Situation 41 – Invite a Friend

Prompt:
Invite your friend to a small gathering.

Model Answer:

"Hi, I wanted to invite you to a small gathering I'm having this weekend. A few friends are coming over, and I thought it would be great if you could join us. We're planning to spend some time together, have some food, and catch up. There's no need to bring anything; just come if you're available. Please let me know whether you can make it. I'd really love to see you there."


Situation 42 – Cancel Plans

Prompt:
Cancel plans with your friend politely.

Model Answer:

"Hi, I'm really sorry, but I need to cancel our plans for today. Unfortunately, something unexpected has come up, and I won't be able to meet you as we planned. I know we arranged this in advance, so I apologize for changing the plan at the last minute. I hope we can arrange another time soon. Please let me know when you're available, and I'll make sure to keep that time free. Thanks for understanding."


Situation 43 – Give Advice

Prompt:
Your friend is having difficulty managing their studies and work.

Model Answer:

"I understand that balancing work and study can be difficult, especially when you have many responsibilities. I think you should try making a simple weekly schedule and prioritize the most important tasks first. You could also set aside specific hours for studying and avoid unnecessary distractions during that time. Most importantly, don't try to do everything at once. If you organize your time carefully, I think you'll be able to manage both responsibilities more effectively."


Situation 44 – Return an Item

Prompt:
You borrowed something from a friend and want to return it.

Model Answer:

"Hi, I wanted to return the item I borrowed from you. Thank you again for lending it to me when I needed it. I've taken good care of it, and everything is still in the same condition. I can bring it to you whenever it's convenient, or you can collect it from me if that's easier. Please let me know what works best for you. Thanks again for helping me when I needed it."


Situation 45 – Make a Recommendation

Prompt:
Recommend a good restaurant to a friend.

Model Answer:

"If you're looking for a good place to eat, I'd definitely recommend the restaurant I visited recently. The food was fresh and delicious, and the service was very friendly. I especially liked the variety of dishes they offered, and the atmosphere was comfortable as well. I think you'd really enjoy it. If you're interested, we could even go there together sometime. Let me know what you think."


🔴 SET 10: MORE CHALLENGING SITUATIONS

Situation 46 – Resolve a Disagreement

Prompt:
You disagree with a colleague about how to complete a project.

Model Answer:

"Hi, I understand that we have different opinions about how to complete the project. I respect your approach, but I think my suggestion may help us finish the work more efficiently. Instead of arguing about which idea is better, perhaps we could compare both approaches and choose the one that best meets the project's requirements. I'm happy to consider your suggestions as well. I think working together will help us achieve the best result."


Situation 47 – Handle an Angry Customer

Prompt:
A customer is angry about a delayed service.

Model Answer:

"Hello, I completely understand why you're frustrated about the delay, and I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. I understand that you expected the service to be completed earlier. Let me check the current status and find out exactly what caused the delay. I'll do my best to provide you with a clear solution as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience, and I appreciate the opportunity to resolve the issue."


Situation 48 – Refuse a Request Politely

Prompt:
A friend asks you to help them, but you are too busy.

Model Answer:

"Hi, I completely understand why you're asking me for help, and I'd really like to assist you. Unfortunately, I'm currently dealing with several important tasks that I need to finish within a short deadline. Because of that, I don't think I'll be able to give your request the attention it deserves. I'm sorry about that. Perhaps I can help you another day or suggest someone else who may be available."


Situation 49 – Negotiate a Deadline

Prompt:
You need more time to complete an important project.

Model Answer:

"Hello, I'd like to discuss the deadline for the project. I've completed most of the work, but I need some additional time to properly check the final sections and make sure the quality is satisfactory. Rather than submitting incomplete work by the original deadline, I would appreciate an extension of a few days. I believe this will allow me to deliver a much better result. Thank you for considering my request."


Situation 50 – Solve a Team Problem

Prompt:
Your team is behind schedule. Suggest a solution.

Model Answer:

"Hello everyone, I think we need to make a small change because we're currently behind schedule. I suggest that we divide the remaining work into smaller tasks and assign clear responsibilities to each team member. We should also set short internal deadlines so that we can monitor our progress. This would help us identify problems early and avoid further delays. If everyone agrees, we can start implementing this plan immediately. I believe it will help us finish the project successfully."


Situation 51 – Handle a Misunderstanding

Prompt:
A colleague misunderstood something you said.

Model Answer:

"Hi, I wanted to clarify something because I think there may have been a misunderstanding about what I said earlier. I didn't intend to suggest that your work was incorrect or criticize your approach. What I meant was that we might need to make a few adjustments to meet the project requirements. I apologize if my words gave you a different impression. I really value your contribution, and I hope we can discuss the matter and move forward positively."


Situation 52 – Emergency Change

Prompt:
An important event has been cancelled unexpectedly. Inform the people involved.

Model Answer:

"Hello everyone, I wanted to let you know that unfortunately, the event scheduled for tomorrow has been cancelled due to an unexpected problem. I understand that many of you may have already made arrangements, and I'm very sorry for the inconvenience. We're currently looking into alternative arrangements and will provide an update as soon as possible. Please keep an eye on your messages for further information. Thank you for your patience and understanding."


PART 11: HIGH-SCORING PHRASES

Opening Phrases

  • "Hello, I'm calling regarding..."
  • "I wanted to let you know that..."
  • "I'm contacting you about..."
  • "I'd like to discuss..."
  • "I just wanted to inform you that..."

Apology Phrases

  • "I'm really sorry about..."
  • "I sincerely apologize for..."
  • "I'm sorry for any inconvenience..."
  • "Please accept my apologies..."
  • "I understand that this may have caused some inconvenience."

Request Phrases

  • "Could you please..."
  • "Would it be possible to..."
  • "I'd appreciate it if you could..."
  • "I was wondering if you could..."
  • "Would you mind..."

Explanation Phrases

  • "Unfortunately..."
  • "The reason is that..."
  • "Due to an unexpected problem..."
  • "I wasn't able to..."
  • "Something unexpected came up..."

Solution Phrases

  • "I'll make sure to..."
  • "I'll take care of it..."
  • "I'll resolve the issue..."
  • "I'll complete it as soon as possible."
  • "I'll make the necessary arrangements."

Closing Phrases

  • "Thank you for your understanding."
  • "I really appreciate your help."
  • "Thank you for your time."
  • "Please let me know if you need anything else."
  • "Thanks again for your assistance."

PART 12: WHAT TO DO DURING THE 20-SECOND PREPARATION

Do NOT try to memorize a complete answer during preparation.

Instead, identify only four things:

1. PERSON

Who am I talking to?

2. PURPOSE

Why am I talking?

3. REASON

Why did it happen?

4. SOLUTION

What should happen next?

For example:

Situation: You cannot attend a meeting.

Think:

Manager → Reschedule → Family commitment → New time

Then speak naturally.


PART 13: 40-SECOND ANSWER FORMULA

A useful speaking pattern is:

0–8 seconds

Greeting + Purpose

"Hello, I'm calling regarding tomorrow's meeting."

8–18 seconds

Reason

"Unfortunately, I have an important commitment at the same time, so I won't be able to attend."

18–30 seconds

Action / Solution

"I'm sorry for the inconvenience. Would it be possible to reschedule the meeting for later this week? I'm flexible and can adjust to a time that works for you."

30–40 seconds

Politeness + Closing

"Please let me know what time would be convenient. I'll make sure to be available. Thank you very much for your understanding."


PART 14: HOW TO AVOID LONG PAUSES

If you need time to think, use natural linking phrases.

Instead of remaining silent, say:

  • "Well..."
  • "Actually..."
  • "In this situation..."
  • "The main reason is..."
  • "What I would suggest is..."
  • "I understand that..."
  • "In addition..."
  • "For this reason..."
  • "Most importantly..."
  • "Finally..."

These phrases help maintain fluency.


PART 15: IMPORTANT RULES FOR 80+

Rule 1: Stay on Topic

Answer exactly what the situation asks.

Rule 2: Be Natural

Speak as if you are actually talking to the person.

Rule 3: Be Polite

Use:

"Could you please...?"

instead of:

"Give me..."

Rule 4: Don't Memorize Every Word

Memorize the structure, not the complete answer.

Rule 5: Keep Speaking

Avoid unnecessary silence.

Rule 6: Don't Use Difficult Vocabulary

Simple and accurate English is better than complicated and unnatural English.

Rule 7: Give a Solution

Whenever possible, explain what you will do next.

Rule 8: Finish Politely

Always have a natural closing sentence ready.


PART 16: MASTER FORMULA TO MEMORIZE

The easiest formula is:

GREETING → PURPOSE → REASON → ACTION → REQUEST/SOLUTION → POLITENESS → CLOSING

For example:

"Hello, I'm calling regarding ____. Unfortunately, ____. The reason is ____. I apologize for the inconvenience. I would like to ____. Could you please ____. I'll make sure to ____. Thank you very much for your understanding and assistance."


PART 17: 10 GOLDEN SENTENCES TO MEMORIZE

1.      

2.      

3.      

4.      

5.      

6.      

7.      

8.      

9.      

10.


PART 18: FINAL QUICK REVISION

Before speaking, remember:

🧠 THINK

WHO? → WHY? → REASON? → SOLUTION?

🗣️ SPEAK

PURPOSE → EXPLANATION → ACTION → POLITENESS

⭐ REMEMBER

Clear English + Natural Fluency + Appropriate Response = Strong Performance


📌 ONE-LINE MASTER FORMULA

"Say why you are speaking → explain the situation → give a solution or request → finish politely."

This is the core strategy you can use for almost every PTE Respond to a Situation question.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

English Language

 English Language  1. Talking to Elders / Senior Relatives (Formal & Respectful) Always use "Tapai" (you) and "Hajur...