Basic English Vocabulary with Simple Synonyms, Nepali Meanings, and Example Sentences
A list of basic English
vocabularies with simple synonyms, Nepali meanings, and example
sentences used in various situations like shopping, office, friends,
markets, family, and daily life.
1.
Shopping (किनमेल)
|
English |
Simple
Synonym |
Nepali
Meaning |
Example |
|
Buy |
Purchase |
किन्नु |
I want to buy a new shirt. |
|
Sell |
Trade |
बेच्नु |
They sell fresh vegetables
here. |
|
Cheap |
Inexpensive |
सस्तो |
This bag is very cheap. |
|
Expensive |
Costly |
महँगो |
That phone is too expensive. |
|
Discount |
Reduction |
छुट |
Is there any discount on
this? |
|
Receipt |
Bill |
रसिद |
Please give me the receipt. |
|
Change |
Balance |
फिर्ता पैसा |
Here is your change. |
|
Size |
Measurement |
साइज |
Do you have this in a bigger size? |
Situational Example:
A: How much is this jacket?
B: It's 2000 rupees, but I can give you a discount.
A: Okay, I'll buy it. Please give me the receipt.
2.
Office (अफिस)
|
English |
Simple
Synonym |
Nepali
Meaning |
Example |
|
Work |
Job |
काम |
I have a lot of work today. |
|
Meeting |
Gathering |
बैठक |
The meeting starts at 10
AM. |
|
Boss |
Manager |
मालिक / प्रमुख |
My boss is very kind. |
|
Colleague |
Coworker |
सहकर्मी |
She is my colleague. |
|
Deadline |
Due date |
समयसीमा |
The deadline is tomorrow. |
|
Salary |
Pay |
तलब |
I got my salary today. |
|
Report |
Document |
प्रतिवेदन |
Please submit the report. |
|
Leave |
Time off |
बिदा |
I need one day leave. |
Situational Example:
A: Did you finish the report?
B: Not yet, the deadline is tomorrow.
A: Okay, ask your colleague for help.
3.
Friends (साथीहरू)
|
English |
Simple
Synonym |
Nepali
Meaning |
Example |
|
Friend |
Buddy |
साथी |
He is my best friend. |
|
Happy |
Glad |
खुसी |
I am so happy to see you. |
|
Sad |
Unhappy |
दुःखी |
She looks sad today. |
|
Fun |
Enjoyment |
रमाइलो |
We had a lot of fun. |
|
Talk |
Chat |
कुरा
गर्नु |
Let's talk later. |
|
Meet |
See |
भेट्नु |
Let's meet tomorrow. |
|
Help |
Assist |
मद्दत |
Can you help me? |
|
Sorry |
Apologize |
माफ
गर्नु |
I am sorry for being late. |
Situational Example:
A: Hey friend, how are you?
B: I'm happy today. Let's meet and have fun.
A: Sure! I'll talk to you later.
4.
Market (बजार)
|
English |
Simple
Synonym |
Nepali
Meaning |
Example |
|
Price |
Cost |
मूल्य |
What is the price of rice? |
|
Fresh |
New |
ताजा |
These vegetables are fresh. |
|
Weight |
Mass |
तौल |
Please check the weight. |
|
Bag |
Sack |
झोला |
I need a plastic bag. |
|
Money |
Cash |
पैसा |
I don't have enough money. |
|
Vendor |
Seller |
बिक्रेता |
The vendor is very
friendly. |
|
Bargain |
Negotiate |
मोलमोलाइ |
Can we bargain the price? |
|
Quality |
Grade |
गुणस्तर |
This fruit is good quality. |
Situational Example:
A: What is the price of these
apples?
B: 200 rupees per kilo.
A: Can we bargain? I'll give 150.
B: Okay, take them. They are fresh.
5.
Family (परिवार)
|
English |
Simple
Synonym |
Nepali
Meaning |
Example |
|
Mother |
Mom |
आमा |
My mother cooks well. |
|
Father |
Dad |
बुबा |
My father goes to office. |
|
Brother |
Sibling (male) |
दाजु
/ भाइ |
My brother studies in
college. |
|
Sister |
Sibling (female) |
दिदी
/ बहिनी |
My sister sings
beautifully. |
|
Child |
Kid |
बच्चा |
The child is playing. |
|
Home |
House |
घर |
I love my home. |
|
Love |
Affection |
माया |
I love my family. |
|
Care |
Look after |
हेरचाह |
We should care for elders. |
Situational Example:
A: Where is your mother?
B: She is at home with my sister.
A: Please give them my love.
6.
Daily Life (दैनिक जीवन)
|
English |
Simple
Synonym |
Nepali
Meaning |
Example |
|
Eat |
Consume |
खानु |
I eat rice twice a day. |
|
Drink |
Sip |
पिउनु |
Please drink water. |
|
Sleep |
Rest |
सुत्नु |
I sleep at 10 PM. |
|
Wake up |
Get up |
उठ्नु |
I wake up early. |
|
Walk |
Stroll |
हिँड्नु |
I walk to school. |
|
Run |
Sprint |
दौडनु |
He runs every morning. |
|
Cook |
Prepare food |
पकाउनु |
She cooks delicious food. |
|
Clean |
Wash |
सफा
गर्नु |
Please clean your room. |
Situational Example:
A: What time do you wake up?
B: I wake up at 6 AM, drink tea, and walk in the park.
A: That's a good habit.
7.
Travel (यात्रा)
|
English |
Simple
Synonym |
Nepali
Meaning |
Example |
|
Go |
Move |
जानु |
I go to office by bus. |
|
Come |
Arrive |
आउनु |
Please come here. |
|
Ticket |
Pass |
टिकट |
I bought a ticket. |
|
Bus |
Coach |
बस |
The bus is late. |
|
Road |
Street |
बाटो |
This road is busy. |
|
Station |
Stop |
स्टेशन |
The station is near. |
|
Map |
Guide |
नक्सा |
Show me the map. |
|
Lost |
Missing |
हराएको |
I am lost. |
Situational Example:
A: Excuse me, I am lost.
Where is the bus station?
B: Go straight on this road. It's near.
A: Thank you. I need to go quickly.
8.
Health (स्वास्थ्य)
|
English |
Simple
Synonym |
Nepali
Meaning |
Example |
|
Sick |
Ill |
बिरामी |
I feel sick today. |
|
Pain |
Ache |
दुखाइ |
I have a pain in my head. |
|
Doctor |
Physician |
डाक्टर |
The doctor gave me
medicine. |
|
Medicine |
Drug |
औषधि |
Take this medicine. |
|
Rest |
Relax |
आराम |
You need rest. |
|
Healthy |
Fit |
स्वस्थ |
Eat fruits to stay healthy. |
|
Tired |
Exhausted |
थकित |
I am very tired. |
|
Sleep |
Nap |
निद्रा |
Get enough sleep. |
Situational Example:
A: You look tired. Are you sick?
B: Yes, I have a pain in my body.
A: Go to the doctor and take rest.
9.
Emotions (भावनाहरू)
|
English |
Simple
Synonym |
Nepali
Meaning |
Example |
|
Happy |
Glad |
खुसी |
I am happy today. |
|
Sad |
Unhappy |
दुःखी |
She is sad. |
|
Angry |
Mad |
रिसाएको |
Don't be angry. |
|
Afraid |
Scared |
डराएको |
I am afraid of dogs. |
|
Excited |
Thrilled |
उत्साहित |
We are excited for the
trip. |
|
Bored |
Tired |
उदास |
I feel bored. |
|
Surprised |
Amazed |
अचम्मित |
I was surprised to see him. |
|
Proud |
Honored |
गर्व |
I am proud of you. |
Situational Example:
A: Why are you sad?
B: I am afraid of the exam.
A: Don't worry, I am proud of your hard work.
10.
Communication (सञ्चार)
|
English |
Simple
Synonym |
Nepali
Meaning |
Example |
|
Speak |
Talk |
बोल्नु |
Please speak slowly. |
|
Listen |
Hear |
सुन्नु |
Listen to me carefully. |
|
Ask |
Inquire |
सोध्नु |
Can I ask a question? |
|
Answer |
Reply |
जवाफ
दिनु |
Please answer the phone. |
|
Tell |
Inform |
भन्नु |
Tell me the truth. |
|
Call |
Phone |
फोन
गर्नु |
I will call you later. |
|
Message |
Note |
सन्देश |
I sent you a message. |
|
Understand |
Get |
बुझ्नु |
I understand you. |
15 Practical Situations of Using Basic English
Vocabulary
Each situation includes English
words, simple synonyms, Nepali meanings, and example sentences for
practical daily-life communication.
1.
Shopping (किनमेल)
|
English |
Synonym |
Nepali
Meaning |
Example |
|
Buy |
Purchase |
किन्नु |
I want to buy a dress. |
|
Sell |
Trade |
बेच्नु |
They sell fresh fruits. |
|
Cheap |
Inexpensive |
सस्तो |
This shirt is cheap. |
|
Expensive |
Costly |
महँगो |
That bag is expensive. |
|
Discount |
Reduction |
छुट |
Give me some discount. |
|
Receipt |
Bill |
रसिद |
Keep the receipt. |
Example Situation:
A: How much is this?
B: 1500 rupees.
A: It's too expensive. Can you give a discount?
B: Okay, 1200. Here is your receipt.
2.
Office (अफिस)
|
English |
Synonym |
Nepali
Meaning |
Example |
|
Work |
Job |
काम |
I have work today. |
|
Meeting |
Gathering |
बैठक |
The meeting is at 10. |
|
Boss |
Manager |
मालिक |
My boss is strict. |
|
Salary |
Pay |
तलब |
I got my salary. |
|
Deadline |
Due date |
समयसीमा |
The deadline is near. |
|
Report |
Document |
प्रतिवेदन |
Submit the report. |
Example Situation:
A: Did you finish the report?
B: No, the deadline is tomorrow.
A: Ask your boss for more time.
3.
Friends (साथीहरू)
|
English |
Synonym |
Nepali
Meaning |
Example |
|
Friend |
Buddy |
साथी |
He is my friend. |
|
Happy |
Glad |
खुसी |
I am happy today. |
|
Fun |
Enjoyment |
रमाइलो |
We had fun. |
|
Meet |
See |
भेट्नु |
Let's meet tomorrow. |
|
Help |
Assist |
मद्दत |
Can you help me? |
|
Sorry |
Apologize |
माफ
गर्नु |
I am sorry. |
Example Situation:
A: Hey friend, how are you?
B: I'm happy. Let's meet and have fun.
A: Sure! I'll help you with your work.
4.
Market (बजार)
|
English |
Synonym |
Nepali
Meaning |
Example |
|
Price |
Cost |
मूल्य |
What is the price? |
|
Fresh |
New |
ताजा |
These are fresh vegetables. |
|
Bargain |
Negotiate |
मोलमोलाइ |
Can we bargain? |
|
Money |
Cash |
पैसा |
I have no money. |
|
Vendor |
Seller |
बिक्रेता |
The vendor is nice. |
|
Quality |
Grade |
गुणस्तर |
Good quality rice. |
Example Situation:
A: What is the price of
potatoes?
B: 100 rupees per kilo.
A: Can we bargain? I'll give 80.
B: Okay, take it. It's fresh.
5.
Family (परिवार)
|
English |
Synonym |
Nepali
Meaning |
Example |
|
Mother |
Mom |
आमा |
My mother cooks well. |
|
Father |
Dad |
बुबा |
My father works hard. |
|
Brother |
Sibling |
दाजु/भाइ |
My brother studies. |
|
Sister |
Sibling |
दिदी/बहिनी |
My sister sings. |
|
Love |
Affection |
माया |
I love my family. |
|
Care |
Look after |
हेरचाह |
We care for elders. |
Example Situation:
A: Where is your mother?
B: She is at home with my sister.
A: Give them my love.
6.
Daily Life (दैनिक जीवन)
|
English |
Synonym |
Nepali
Meaning |
Example |
|
Eat |
Consume |
खानु |
I eat rice. |
|
Drink |
Sip |
पिउनु |
Drink water. |
|
Sleep |
Rest |
सुत्नु |
I sleep at 10. |
|
Wake up |
Get up |
उठ्नु |
I wake up early. |
|
Walk |
Stroll |
हिँड्नु |
I walk to school. |
|
Clean |
Wash |
सफा
गर्नु |
Clean your room. |
Example Situation:
A: What time do you wake up?
B: I wake up at 6, drink tea, and walk.
A: Good habit!
7.
Travel (यात्रा)
|
English |
Synonym |
Nepali
Meaning |
Example |
|
Go |
Move |
जानु |
I go to office. |
|
Come |
Arrive |
आउनु |
Please come here. |
|
Ticket |
Pass |
टिकट |
I bought a ticket. |
|
Bus |
Coach |
बस |
The bus is late. |
|
Road |
Street |
बाटो |
This road is busy. |
|
Lost |
Missing |
हराएको |
I am lost. |
Example Situation:
A: I am lost. Where is the bus
station?
B: Go straight on this road.
A: Thank you. I need to go fast.
8.
Health (स्वास्थ्य)
|
English |
Synonym |
Nepali
Meaning |
Example |
|
Sick |
Ill |
बिरामी |
I feel sick. |
|
Pain |
Ache |
दुखाइ |
I have pain. |
|
Doctor |
Physician |
डाक्टर |
The doctor gave medicine. |
|
Medicine |
Drug |
औषधि |
Take this medicine. |
|
Rest |
Relax |
आराम |
You need rest. |
|
Healthy |
Fit |
स्वस्थ |
Stay healthy. |
Example Situation:
A: You look tired. Are you sick?
B: Yes, I have pain.
A: Go to the doctor and take rest.
9.
Emotions (भावनाहरू)
|
English |
Synonym |
Nepali
Meaning |
Example |
|
Happy |
Glad |
खुसी |
I am happy. |
|
Sad |
Unhappy |
दुःखी |
She is sad. |
|
Angry |
Mad |
रिसाएको |
Don't be angry. |
|
Afraid |
Scared |
डराएको |
I am afraid. |
|
Excited |
Thrilled |
उत्साहित |
We are excited. |
|
Proud |
Honored |
गर्व |
I am proud. |
Example Situation:
A: Why are you sad?
B: I am afraid of exams.
A: Don't worry, I am proud of you.
10.
Communication (सञ्चार)
|
English |
Synonym |
Nepali
Meaning |
Example |
|
Speak |
Talk |
बोल्नु |
Speak slowly. |
|
Listen |
Hear |
सुन्नु |
Listen to me. |
|
Ask |
Inquire |
सोध्नु |
Can I ask? |
|
Answer |
Reply |
जवाफ |
Answer the phone. |
|
Tell |
Inform |
भन्नु |
Tell me truth. |
|
Call |
Phone |
फोन |
I will call you. |
Example Situation:
A: Can I ask something?
B: Yes, tell me.
A: Call me when you reach home.
B: Okay, I understand.
11.
School/College (विद्यालय/कलेज)
|
English |
Synonym |
Nepali
Meaning |
Example |
|
Study |
Learn |
पढ्नु |
I study daily. |
|
Teacher |
Instructor |
शिक्षक |
My teacher is kind. |
|
Student |
Learner |
विद्यार्थी |
She is a good student. |
|
Homework |
Assignment |
गृहकार्य |
Do your homework. |
|
Exam |
Test |
परीक्षा |
The exam is near. |
|
Library |
Book room |
पुस्तकालय |
I study in the library. |
Example Situation:
A: Did you do your homework?
B: Yes, I study in the library.
A: Good. The exam is near.
12.
Restaurant (रेस्टुरेन्ट)
|
English |
Synonym |
Nepali
Meaning |
Example |
|
Menu |
List |
मेनु |
Show me the menu. |
|
Order |
Request |
अर्डर |
I want to order food. |
|
Waiter |
Server |
वेटर |
The waiter is coming. |
|
Delicious |
Tasty |
मिठो |
This food is delicious. |
|
Bill |
Check |
बिल |
Give me the bill. |
|
Water |
Drink |
पानी |
Please bring water. |
Example Situation:
A: Can I see the menu?
B: Yes, what will you order?
A: One momo, please. It's delicious.
B: Okay. Here is your bill.
13.
Hospital (अस्पताल)
|
English |
Synonym |
Nepali
Meaning |
Example |
|
Patient |
Sick person |
बिरामी |
The patient is waiting. |
|
Nurse |
Caretaker |
नर्स |
The nurse is kind. |
|
Appointment |
Meeting |
भेटघाट |
I have an appointment. |
|
Treatment |
Care |
उपचार |
He needs treatment. |
|
Emergency |
Urgent |
आपतकालीन |
It's an emergency. |
|
Pharmacy |
Medicine shop |
औषधि
पसल |
Go to the pharmacy. |
Example Situation:
A: I have an appointment with
the doctor.
B: Please wait. The nurse will call you.
A: It's urgent. This is an emergency.
14.
Bank (बैंक)
|
English |
Synonym |
Nepali
Meaning |
Example |
|
Account |
Record |
खाता |
I have a bank account. |
|
Deposit |
Put in |
जम्मा |
I want to deposit money. |
|
Withdraw |
Take out |
झिक्नु |
I need to withdraw cash. |
|
Loan |
Borrow |
ऋण |
He took a loan. |
|
Interest |
Profit |
ब्याज |
The interest is low. |
|
Balance |
Remaining |
बाँकी |
Check your balance. |
Example Situation:
A: I want to deposit money.
B: Please give your account number.
A: Also, I want to check my balance.
B: Sure. Here is your balance.
15.
Phone/Internet (फोन/इन्टरनेट)
|
English |
Synonym |
Nepali
Meaning |
Example |
|
Call |
Phone |
फोन |
I will call you. |
|
Message |
Text |
सन्देश |
Send me a message. |
|
Charge |
Power |
चार्ज |
My phone is on charge. |
|
Network |
Signal |
नेटवर्क |
There is no network. |
|
Internet |
Web |
इन्टरनेट |
The internet is slow. |
|
Download |
Save |
डाउनलोड |
I will download the file. |
No comments:
Post a Comment