Saturday, 5 September 2026

IELTS Conjunctions

IELTS Conjunctions

IELTS Conjunctions (also called linking words or transition signals) organized by the specific situations in which you use them.

For IELTS, conjunctions are graded under Coherence & Cohesion (25% of your Writing score). Using a variety of these will immediately boost your Band score.

1. Adding Information (Giving extra support to your idea)

Use these when you have a second point to add.

Furthermore

Moreover, Additionally, In addition

यसबाहेक (Yasabahek)

"The city has high pollution levels. Furthermore, the cost of living is extremely expensive."

Moreover

Furthermore, Besides, Also

थप रूपमा (Thap rupma)

"This policy will create jobs. Moreover, it will improve the education system."

In addition

Additionally, As well as, Plus

साथै (Sathai)

"In addition, the government should invest in renewable energy."


2. Showing Cause & Effect (Explaining Reasons and Results)

Crucial for Writing Task 2 when explaining why something happens.

Consequently

Therefore, Hence, As a result

फलस्वरूप (Phalswarup)

"The company lost its major investor. Consequently, it had to lay off hundreds of staff."

Therefore

Thus, Hence, Accordingly

त्यसैले (Tasaile)

"Global temperatures are rising; therefore, sea levels are increasing rapidly."

As a result

Because of this, Due to this

यसको परिणामस्वरूप (Yasko parinamswarup)

"Many people ignored the lockdown rules. As a result, infection rates soared."

Owing to

Due to, Because of, Thanks to

...को कारणले (Ko karanale)

"Owing to the economic crisis, the government reduced its budget."


3. Showing Contrast / Opposing Ideas (For Balanced Arguments)

Essential for Writing Task 2 when discussing both sides of an argument.

However

Nevertheless, Nonetheless, Yet

तर (Tar) / यद्यपि (Yadyapi)

"Renewable energy is expensive to build. However, it is cheaper in the long run."

Nevertheless

Nonetheless, Despite that, However

तैपनि (Taipani)

"The weather was terrible. Nevertheless, the tourists continued their journey."

On the other hand

Conversely, In contrast, Alternatively

अर्को तर्फ (Arko tarpha)

"Urban areas offer better jobs. On the other hand, rural areas provide a cleaner environment."

Conversely

In contrast, Oppositely

यसको विपरीत (Yasko biparit)

"Studying alone improves concentration. Conversely, group study fosters teamwork skills."

Although

Though, Even though, While

यद्यपि (Yadyapi)

"Although he was qualified for the job, he did not get the position."

Whereas

While, But, On the contrary

जहाँ (Jahan) / भने (Bhane)

"Young people prefer digital books, whereas elderly people still prefer printed newspapers."


4. Giving Examples (Proving your point)

Use these in Speaking Part 2 and Writing Task 2 to provide evidence.

For instance

For example, Such as, To illustrate

उदाहरणका लागि (Udaharan ka lagi)

"Many Asian countries are advancing rapidly; for instance, Singapore and South Korea."

Specifically

Particularly, Especially, Notably

विशेष गरी (Vishesh gari)

"We need to tackle climate change, specifically by reducing carbon emissions."

Namely

That is to say, In other words

अर्थात् (Arthat)

"There is one major flaw in this plan, namely, the lack of proper funding."


5. Showing Chronology / Order (For Process Essays & Task 1)

Must-use for Writing Task 1 (Academic - describing a process) or Speaking when telling a story.

Initially

Firstly, At first, Originally

सुरुमा (Suruma)

"Initially, the raw materials are collected and sorted."

Subsequently

Afterwards, Later, Then

त्यसपछि (Tyaspachi)

"The mixture is heated to 100°C. Subsequently, it is cooled down for 2 hours."

Eventually

Finally, Ultimately, In the end

अन्त्यमा (Antyama)

"The particles are filtered and eventually transformed into glass."

Meanwhile

In the meantime, Simultaneously

यसैबीच (Yasaibicha)

"The workers are assembling the engine; meanwhile, the mechanics are testing the brakes."


6. Showing Purpose (Explaining the goal)

Use these when explaining why people take specific actions.

In order to

To, So as to, For the purpose of

...को लागि (Ko lagi)

"Governments must invest in healthcare in order to improve life expectancy."

So that

In order that, Thus

ताकि (Taki)

"The speaker slowed down his speech so that the audience could understand him clearly."

With a view to

Aiming to, Intending to

...गर्ने उद्देश्यले (Garne uddheshyale)

"The university is revising its curriculum with a view to meeting modern job market demands."


7. Conceding / Acknowledging the Opposite (Advanced Critical Thinking)

Using these shows the IELTS examiner that you have a mature, balanced perspective (Band 8+).

Admittedly

Undoubtedly, Granted, Certainly

स्वीकार गर्दै (Sweekar gardai)

"Admittedly, online learning is flexible and convenient."

Granted that

Even if, Assuming that

मानौं कि (Maunau ki)

"Granted that technology offers many solutions, it also creates new social problems."

Nonetheless

However, Despite that, Nevertheless

यद्यपि (Yadyapi)

"The plan is risky; nonetheless, we must try it for the sake of innovation."


8. Emphasizing a Point (Highlighting the most important fact)

Use these when you want to stress your main argument in the conclusion.

Especially

Particularly, Specifically, Notably

विशेष गरी (Vishesh gari)

"Exercise improves overall health, especially cardiovascular function."

Above all

Most importantly, Primarily, Chiefly

सबैभन्दा महत्त्वपूर्ण (Sabaibhanda mahattwapurna)

"We must focus on education. Above all, we must ensure every child has access to basic literacy."

In particular

Particularly, Notably

विशेष रूपमा (Vishesh rupma)

"I love historical fiction. In particular, I enjoy novels set in the World War II era."


9. Concluding / Summarizing (For Writing Task 2 Conclusions)

Use these to start your final paragraph without saying "In conclusion" every time.

ConjunctionSynonymsNepali MeaningExample (English Only)

In summary

To summarize, In essence

सारांशमा (Saramshama)

"In summary, both parents and teachers play a vital role in a child’s moral education."

To conclude

In closing, Ultimately

निष्कर्षमा (Nishkarshma)

"To conclude, if we fail to act now, the consequences will be irreversible."

On the whole

All in all, Broadly speaking

समग्रमा (Samagrama)

"On the whole, the advantages of urbanization heavily outweigh the disadvantages."


⚠️ Critical IELTS Grammar Rule for Conjunctions:

To get a Band 7+ in Grammar, you must know the difference between a comma (,) and a semicolon (;) when using these.

1.      If the conjunction has 1 syllable (e.g., But, So, For): Use a comma before it.

o    Example: "The food was good, so we stayed longer."

2.      If the conjunction is long (e.g., However, Therefore, Moreover, Consequently): Use a semicolon (;) or a period (.) before it, and a comma (,) after it.

o    Example: "The food was good; however, the service was terrible."

o    Example: "The food was good. Therefore, we decided to stay."

3.      If the conjunction is a subordinate one (e.g., Although, Whereas, While): Use it at the start of the sentence or in the middle with no semicolon.

o    Example: "Although the food was good, the service was terrible."

 

50 practical English examples using the IELTS conjunctions from the previous list.

I have divided them into Writing-style sentences (formal, for Task 2) and Speaking-style sentences (natural, for Part 2/3). Each example is written in bold to highlight the conjunction so you can clearly see its exact position in a sentence.


Part 1: Formal Writing Examples (For IELTS Writing Task 1 & 2)

These are structured, academic, and balanced.

1.      The cost of living is rising rapidly; furthermore, unemployment rates are at an all-time high.

2.      Renewable energy sources are sustainable. Moreover, they significantly reduce carbon footprints.

3.      In addition, the government must allocate more funds to public healthcare systems.

4.      The company reported massive losses; consequently, it decided to restructure its entire management.

5.      Global temperatures are increasing; therefore, coastal cities are facing severe flood risks.

6.      Owing to the lack of rainfall, agricultural production has dropped by 40%.

7.      The new tax policy is unpopular. Nevertheless, it is necessary to reduce the national debt.

8.      Online education offers great flexibility; however, it lacks the social interaction of physical classrooms.

9.      Although technology has improved communication, it has also reduced face-to-face human contact.

10. Young adults prefer to live in urban centers, whereas elderly citizens often choose quieter suburban areas.

11. Conversely, investing in public transport can significantly reduce traffic congestion in cities.

12. Many developing countries rely on tourism; for instance, Thailand and Egypt depend heavily on foreign visitors.

13. The report highlights several issues, namely, the lack of funding, poor infrastructure, and outdated policies.

14. Urban migration is increasing rapidly, especially in Southeast Asian nations.

15. To succeed in the global market, companies must innovate. Above all, they must prioritize customer satisfaction.

16. Initially, the raw materials are crushed into fine powder.

17. The mixture is heated to 200 degrees Celsius; subsequently, it is cooled for twelve hours.

18. The workers assemble the outer shell; meanwhile, the engineers install the internal circuitry.

19. The government has raised taxes in order to finance new hospital projects.

20. The lecture was recorded so that absent students could watch it later.

21. Granted that electric cars reduce pollution, they still rely on rare earth minerals for batteries.

22. The project is incredibly expensive; nonetheless, we must proceed with it to stay competitive.

23. Admittedly, social media connects people globally, but it also spreads misinformation rapidly.

24. In conclusion, economic growth is essential. On the other hand, environmental protection cannot be ignored.

25. To conclude, while there are clear drawbacks, the benefits of globalization far outweigh the negatives.


Part 2: Semi-Formal / Speaking Examples (For IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3)

These sound more natural, conversational, and fluent.

26. I love living in big cities; moreover, I find the fast-paced lifestyle very exciting.

27. Travelling alone is quite cheap. In addition, it gives you complete freedom to explore.

28. I lost my wallet yesterday; consequently, I had to borrow money from my friend.

29. The flight was delayed for five hours. Therefore, we missed our connecting train.

30. Due to heavy rainfall, the local marathon was cancelled at the last minute.

31. I’m not a huge fan of horror movies. However, I did enjoy that new thriller last week.

32. Although I was extremely tired, I decided to finish my assignment before going to bed.

33. My brother loves spicy food, whereas I prefer sweet and mild dishes.

34. Many people prefer online shopping. Conversely, I still enjoy visiting physical stores.

35. I’ve visited many beautiful countries; for instance, Japan, Italy, and New Zealand.

36. I enjoy reading classic novels, particularly those written by Charles Dickens.

37. I have one major regret, namely, not learning to play a musical instrument when I was young.

38. Initially, I found learning English very difficult.

39. I completed my bachelor's degree; subsequently, I worked as a volunteer for two years.

40. I was cooking dinner; meanwhile, my husband was setting up the dining table.

41. I am saving money so that I can buy my own house next year.

42. In order to stay healthy, I try to exercise at least four times a week.

43. The recipe was quite complicated. Nevertheless, the cake turned out delicious.

44. Admittedly, I was nervous about the presentation, but it went very well in the end.

45. I think climate change is serious. Above all, we need to stop cutting down forests.

46. In summary, I believe that travelling is the best form of education.

47. On the whole, I had a wonderful childhood growing up in my village.

48. I have a busy schedule; therefore, I only watch movies on weekends.

49. Although I have a car, I usually prefer to take public transport to avoid traffic.

50. I want to study abroad; however, the tuition fees are extremely high in the USA.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

IELTS Vocabulary: Basic to Advanced Synonyms with Nepali Meaning

IELTS Vocabulary: Basic to Advanced Synonyms with Nepali Meaning How to Use This Guide Basic = Band 4-5 vocabulary (common word...