Useful Phrases for the Malta Pre-Departure Integration Course
Complete Detailed Guide with Practical Expressions
This guide provides practical phrases
organised by the grammar topics you need for both Phase 1 (online exams) and
Phase 2 (live interview). Use these phrases to sound natural, confident, and
prepared.
PART 1: PHRASES FOR THE PHASE 1 ONLINE EXAMS
A. Understanding Question Types
When reading
multiple-choice and true/false questions, recognise these patterns:
|
Question TypeSignal
WordsExample |
||
|
Factual |
What,
When, Where, Who |
"What is the capital of Malta?" |
|
Definition |
What
is...? |
"What is a 'festa'?" |
|
Yes/No (True/False) |
Is it true
that...? |
"Is it true that the course costs
€250?" |
|
Comparison |
Difference,
More, Less |
"What is the difference between..." |
|
Condition |
If, When,
Unless |
"If you fail the exam..." |
|
Negative |
Not,
Except, Unless |
"Which workers are not
exempt?" |
B. Phrases for Understanding Exam Questions
|
SituationUseful PhraseWhy It Helps |
||
|
Identifying
the main topic |
"This question is asking about..." |
Focuses
your reading |
|
Recognising
a negative statement |
"I need to look for the
exception..." |
Avoids
confusing "not" and "except" |
|
Understanding
a comparison |
"The question wants me to
compare..." |
Identifies
what's being contrasted |
|
Processing
a conditional |
"If this happens, then that
follows..." |
Understands
cause and effect |
|
Distinguishing
facts from opinions |
"This is a factual statement from the
course..." |
True/false
questions test facts only |
C. Phrases for Reviewing Course Content
|
Topic AreaUseful Phrases to Know |
|
|
Living in Malta |
"Malta has two official languages:
Maltese and English." |
|
"The capital city is Valletta." |
|
|
"The currency is the Euro." |
|
|
"The main public hospital is Mater Dei
Hospital in Msida." |
|
|
Transportation |
"Public buses are operated by Malta
Public Transport." |
|
"The prepaid bus card is called a
Tallinja Card." |
|
|
"People drive on the left side of the
road." |
|
|
Culture |
"A 'festa' is a village feast
celebrating a patron saint." |
|
"A 'pastizz' is a traditional Maltese
pastry." |
|
|
"Roman Catholicism is the predominant
religion." |
|
|
Course Requirements |
"All first-time work permit applicants
must complete both phases." |
|
"The course costs €250." |
|
|
"You have 42 days to complete the
course." |
PART 2: PHRASES FOR THE PHASE 2 LIVE INTERVIEW
A. Opening & Introductions
Greeting the Interviewer
|
PhraseUse |
|
|
"Good morning/afternoon. Thank you for
seeing me." |
Formal,
respectful opening |
|
"It's a pleasure to meet you." |
Polite and
professional |
|
"Thank you for the opportunity to
interview today." |
Shows
appreciation |
Introducing Yourself
|
PhraseUse |
|
|
"My name is [Your Name]." |
Clear
self-introduction |
|
"I come from [Your Country]." |
States
your origin |
|
"I am [Number] years old." |
Basic
personal information |
|
"I have been working as a [Job Title] for [Number] years." |
Professional
introduction |
Explaining Why You're
Applying
|
PhraseUse |
|
|
"I am applying to work in Malta
because..." |
States
purpose |
|
"I am looking for new opportunities in
my field." |
Professional
motivation |
|
"I have heard about the good work
opportunities in Malta." |
Shows
research |
|
"I am attracted to the positive and
friendly environment in Malta." |
Shows
cultural interest |
B. Present Simple Tense Phrases
Used for: Facts,
routines, general truths
|
Interview QuestionUseful PhraseGrammar Point |
||
|
"What do you know about Malta?" |
"Malta is a small island country in the
Mediterranean." |
Present
simple for facts |
|
"What is the capital?" |
"The capital is Valletta." |
Present
simple for facts |
|
"What are the official languages?" |
"Maltese and English are the official
languages." |
Present
simple for facts |
|
"What is your job?" |
"I work as a [job title]." |
Present
simple for occupation |
|
"What does your job involve?" |
"I am responsible for [duties]." |
Present
simple for responsibilities |
|
"What do you do in your free time?" |
"I enjoy [hobbies]." |
Present
simple for habits |
C. Past Simple Tense Phrases
Used for: Completed
actions, previous experience
|
Interview QuestionUseful PhraseGrammar Point |
||
|
"Tell me about your previous job." |
"I worked as a [job title] for [number] years." |
Past
simple for completed work |
|
"Where did you work before?" |
"I worked at [Company Name]." |
Past
simple for previous employer |
|
"What did you learn in your last
job?" |
"I learned how to [skill]." |
Past
simple for learning experience |
|
"Have you been to Malta before?" |
"Yes, I visited Malta [time]. / No, I have never
visited." |
Past
simple/present perfect |
|
"What did you learn from the
course?" |
"I learned about workers' rights and
Maltese culture." |
Past
simple for learning |
D. Future Tense Phrases
Used for: Plans,
intentions, predictions
Using "Will" for
Spontaneous Decisions/Promises
|
Interview QuestionUseful PhraseGrammar Point |
||
|
"What will you do when you arrive?" |
"I will register with Identity Malta for
my ID card." |
Will for
future plans |
|
"Will you learn Maltese?" |
"Yes, I will try to learn some Maltese
phrases." |
Will for
intention |
|
"What will you do if you get lost?" |
"I will ask for directions or use Google
Maps." |
Will for
future action |
Using "Going to"
for Planned Intentions
|
Interview QuestionUseful PhraseGrammar Point |
||
|
"What are your plans?" |
"I am going to find accommodation
first." |
Going to
for planned action |
|
"What will you do about housing?" |
"I am going to rent a room in a shared
apartment." |
Going to
for plan |
|
"What do you hope to achieve?" |
"I am going to work hard and integrate
into the community." |
Going to
for intention |
E. Modal Verbs Phrases
Used for: Obligation,
possibility, advice
|
Modal VerbInterview QuestionUseful Phrase |
||
|
Must (Obligation) |
"What are your obligations?" |
"I must complete both Phase 1 and Phase
2." |
|
Have to (External obligation) |
"What documents do you need?" |
"I have to register with Identity
Malta." |
|
Should (Advice) |
"What should you do if..." |
"I should call my supervisor if I'm
late." |
|
Can (Ability) |
"What can you do?" |
"I can use public transport to get
around." |
|
Could (Possibility) |
"What could happen?" |
"I could find a cheaper apartment
outside the city centre." |
|
May (Permission) |
"What are you allowed to do?" |
"I may be eligible for a longer
permit." |
|
Need to (Necessity) |
"What do you need?" |
"I need to get health insurance." |
Complete Modal Verb Example
Answer
"As a worker in
Malta, I must respect local laws. I have to complete the
Pre-Departure Course. I should learn some basic Maltese phrases. I can
use public transport to travel. I may be eligible for a longer residence
permit if I complete the integration course."
F. Conditional Sentences Phrases
Used for:
Scenario-based questions
Type 1: Real/Possible
Conditionals (If + present, will + infinitive)
|
Interview QuestionUseful Phrase |
|
|
"What will you do if you are late?" |
"If I am late for work, I will call my
supervisor immediately." |
|
"What if you get sick?" |
"If I am unwell, I will inform my
employer and follow the sick leave procedure." |
|
"What if you can't find
accommodation?" |
"If I can't find a place to live, I will
ask my employer for help." |
Type 2: Hypothetical
Conditionals (If + past, would + infinitive)
|
Interview QuestionUseful Phrase |
|
|
"What would you do if a colleague was
bullying?" |
"If I saw a colleague being bullied, I
would offer support and report it." |
|
"What would you do if you felt
unsafe?" |
"If I felt unsafe, I would report it to
my supervisor or OHSA." |
|
"What would you do if you lost your
ID?" |
"If I lost my ID, I would contact
Identity Malta immediately." |
Mixed Conditional Example
Answer
"If I am
late for work (type 1), I will call my supervisor. If I saw a
safety hazard (type 2), I would report it immediately."
G. Passive Voice Phrases
Used for: Describing
processes, when action is more important than doer
|
Interview QuestionUseful PhraseGrammar Point |
||
|
"How does the process work?" |
"The course is offered through an online
platform." |
Passive
for process description |
|
"When do you apply?" |
"Applications are submitted to Identity
Malta." |
Passive
for procedure |
|
"How is the interview conducted?" |
"The interview is conducted
online." |
Passive
for procedure |
|
"When is the certificate issued?" |
"The certificate is issued after
completing both phases." |
Passive
for outcome |
H. Reported Speech Phrases
Used for: Explaining
what you have learned
|
Interview QuestionUseful PhraseGrammar Point |
||
|
"What did the course teach you?" |
"The course said that I must respect
local laws." |
Reported
statement |
|
"What do you know about workers'
rights?" |
"I learned that employers must provide a
written contract." |
Reported
fact |
|
"What did you find interesting?" |
"I was told that Malta has 14 public
holidays." |
Reported
information |
|
"What have you heard about Malta?" |
"I understand that the cost of living is
reasonable." |
Reported
understanding |
I. Workplace Communication Phrases
Describing Responsibilities
|
PhraseGrammar Focus |
|
|
"I am responsible for [task]." |
Present
simple |
|
"My duties include [duties]." |
Present
simple |
|
"I report to [person/role]." |
Present
simple |
|
"I work as part of a team." |
Present
simple |
|
"I deal with [customers/clients/tasks]." |
Present
simple |
Describing Workplace Rights
|
PhraseGrammar Focus |
|
|
"Employees are entitled to 24 days of
annual leave." |
Passive +
entitlement |
|
"Workers have the right to request pay
information." |
Have +
right to |
|
"Employers must provide a written
contract." |
Modal +
obligation |
|
"Employees are protected against
discrimination." |
Passive +
protection |
Describing Workplace
Obligations
|
PhraseGrammar Focus |
|
|
"I have to follow health and safety
rules." |
Have to +
obligation |
|
"I must report any hazards to my
supervisor." |
Must +
obligation |
|
"I am expected to be punctual." |
Passive +
expectation |
|
"I need to inform my employer if I am
sick." |
Need to +
necessity |
J. Asking for Clarification Phrases
Essential phrases -
asking for clarification shows you want to understand correctly
|
SituationUseful Phrase |
|
|
You didn't
hear the question |
"I'm sorry, I didn't quite catch that.
Could you please repeat?" |
|
You don't
understand |
"I'm sorry, I didn't quite understand.
Could you explain it more simply?" |
|
You need
an example |
"Could you give me an example of what
you mean?" |
|
You want
confirmation |
"Do you mean...?" |
|
You need
clarification |
"Just to clarify, are you asking
about...?" |
|
You need
more time |
"That's a good question. Let me think
for a moment." |
|
You want
to rephrase |
"So what you're saying is... is that
correct?" |
|
You want
the question repeated slowly |
"Could you please speak a little more
slowly?" |
K. Scenario-Based Answer Phrases
These phrases help you
structure your answers to scenario questions:
Step 1: Acknowledge the
Situation
|
PhraseExample |
|
|
"If that happened, I would..." |
"If I were late, I would call my
supervisor." |
|
"In that situation, I would..." |
"In that situation, I would report the
issue." |
|
"I would handle this by..." |
"I would handle this by speaking to my
manager first." |
Step 2: Describe Your
Immediate Action
|
PhraseExample |
|
|
"First, I would..." |
"First, I would remain calm." |
|
"My first step would be to..." |
"My first step would be to inform my
supervisor." |
|
"I would immediately..." |
"I would immediately report the safety
concern." |
Step 3: Describe Follow-up
Actions
|
PhraseExample |
|
|
"Then, I would..." |
"Then, I would follow the company's
procedure." |
|
"After that, I would..." |
"After that, I would document the
issue." |
|
"Finally, I would..." |
"Finally, I would follow up to ensure it
was resolved." |
Step 4: Explain the Outcome
|
PhraseExample |
|
|
"This would help..." |
"This would help resolve the situation
quickly." |
|
"I believe this is the right
way..." |
"I believe this is the right way to
handle it." |
|
"This shows..." |
"This shows my commitment to
safety." |
Complete Scenario Answer
Structure
"If that
happened, I would remain calm. First, I would inform my supervisor. Then,
I would follow the safety procedures. After that, I would document
everything. Finally, I would follow up to ensure the issue was
resolved."
L. Phrases for Expressing Opinion
|
FunctionUseful Phrase |
|
|
Expressing
belief |
"I believe that..." |
|
Expressing
opinion |
"In my opinion..." |
|
Explaining
reasoning |
"I think this is important
because..." |
|
Showing
understanding |
"I understand that..." |
|
Agreeing |
"I agree with..." |
|
Disagreeing
politely |
"I see your point, but..." |
|
Showing
certainty |
"I am confident that..." |
|
Showing
uncertainty |
"I'm not entirely sure, but I
think..." |
M. Closing the Interview Phrases
|
SituationUseful Phrase |
|
|
Thanking
the interviewer |
"Thank you for your time today." |
|
"I appreciate this opportunity." |
|
|
Expressing
enthusiasm |
"I look forward to the opportunity to
work in Malta." |
|
"I am excited about this prospect." |
|
|
Polite
closing |
"Do you have any further questions for
me?" |
|
"I hope I have answered your questions
well." |
|
|
Final
farewell |
"Goodbye and have a good day." |
|
"Thank you and goodbye." |
PART 3: SECTOR-SPECIFIC PHRASES
A. Hospitality & Tourism Sector Phrases
|
SituationUseful Phrase |
|
|
Greeting
guests |
"Welcome to [Hotel/Restaurant]. How can I help you?" |
|
Taking
orders |
"May I take your order?" |
|
Handling
complaints |
"I apologise for the inconvenience. Let
me resolve this for you." |
|
Describing
the menu |
"Our special today is [dish]." |
|
Asking for
preferences |
"Would you prefer..." |
|
Offering
suggestions |
"I would recommend..." |
B. Construction & Labour Sector Phrases
|
SituationUseful Phrase |
|
|
Safety
instructions |
"Please wear your protective
equipment." |
|
Reporting
issues |
"I need to report a safety
concern." |
|
Asking for
help |
"Can you help me with this task?" |
|
Following
instructions |
"Yes, I understand the
instructions." |
|
Asking for
clarification |
"Could you explain this procedure
again?" |
C. Healthcare & Social Care Sector
Phrases
|
SituationUseful Phrase |
|
|
Patient
interaction |
"How are you feeling today?" |
|
Providing
care |
"I will help you with..." |
|
Reporting
observations |
"I noticed that..." |
|
Explaining
procedures |
"The procedure involves..." |
|
Reassuring
patients |
"Please don't worry. We will take care
of you." |
PART 4: PHRASES FOR THE BROADER INTEGRATION COURSE
This 40-hour course
includes topics like Maltese history, law, renting, and language.
|
TopicUseful Phrase |
|
|
Maltese
history |
"The Knights of St. John ruled Malta
from 1530." |
|
"Malta became independent in 1964." |
|
|
Maltese
law |
"The Employment and Industrial Relations
Act protects workers." |
|
"I understand my rights and
responsibilities." |
|
|
Renting in
Malta |
"I need to budget for rent and
utilities." |
|
"I should check the tenancy agreement
carefully." |
|
|
Budgeting |
"I will track my expenses to manage my
finances." |
|
"I need to save for unexpected
costs." |
PART 5: QUICK REFERENCE PHRASE TABLES
Essential Survival Phrases
|
SituationEnglishMaltese (Bonus) |
||
|
Hello |
"Good morning/afternoon." |
"Bongu/Bonġu" |
|
Goodbye |
"Goodbye." |
"Ċaw/Sahha" |
|
Thank you |
"Thank you." |
"Grazzi" |
|
Please |
"Please." |
"Jekk jogħġbok" |
|
Sorry/Excuse
me |
"I'm sorry. / Excuse me." |
"Skużani" |
|
Yes/No |
"Yes. / No." |
"Iva. / Le." |
Common Grammar Mistake Fixes
|
MistakeCorrectionExplanation |
||
|
"I have 25 years." |
"I am 25 years old." |
Use
"am" for age |
|
"I am work in Malta." |
"I work in Malta." |
No
"am" before main verb |
|
"I no speak Maltese." |
"I don't speak Maltese." |
Use
"do/does" for negatives |
|
"I can to speak English." |
"I can speak English." |
No
"to" after modal verbs |
|
"He go to work." |
"He goes to work." |
Add -s for
third person singular |
PART 6: MOCK INTERVIEW PHRASE PRACTICE
Practice Dialogue 1: Introducing Yourself
|
InterviewerCandidate |
|
|
"Good morning. Please introduce
yourself." |
"Good morning. My name is [Name]. I come from [Country]. I am [age] years old." |
|
"Why do you want to work in Malta?" |
"I am applying to work in Malta because
I have heard about the good opportunities in my field. I am also attracted to
the positive and friendly environment." |
Practice Dialogue 2: Scenario Question
|
InterviewerCandidate |
|
|
"What would you do if you were late for
work?" |
"If I were late for work, I would call
my supervisor immediately. I would explain the situation and give an
estimated arrival time. Then, I would apologise for the delay." |
|
"What would you do if you didn't know
how to do a task?" |
"If I didn't know how to do a task, I
would ask my supervisor or a colleague for help. I would never pretend to
know. I believe in learning properly." |
Practice Dialogue 3: Course Knowledge
|
InterviewerCandidate |
|
|
"What did you learn from the
course?" |
"I learned that the capital is Valletta
and that the official languages are Maltese and English. I also learned about
workers' rights, including 24 days of annual leave and health and
safety." |
|
"What are your obligations as a
worker?" |
"I have to follow health and safety
rules. I must report any hazards. I need to respect my colleagues and follow
the company's policies." |
PART 7: FINAL PREPARATION CHECKLIST
Before the Interview
|
TaskDone? |
|
|
Review all
course materials |
[
] |
|
Practice
answering questions out loud |
[
] |
|
Prepare
your introduction |
[
] |
|
Know your
sector's requirements |
[
] |
|
Prepare
3-5 scenario answers |
[
] |
|
Learn
basic Maltese phrases |
[
] |
|
Check your
internet connection |
[
] |
|
Find a
quiet space for the interview |
[
] |
|
Have your
ID ready |
[
] |
Key Phrases to Memorise
|
Category Phrase |
|
|
Opening |
"Good morning. Thank you for this
opportunity." |
|
Self-introduction |
"My name is [Name] from [Country]." |
|
Clarification |
"Could you please repeat the
question?" |
|
Scenario
answer |
"If that happened, I would..." |
|
Closing |
"Thank you for your time. Have a good
day." |
No comments:
Post a Comment